z

Young Writers Society

Clue the Movie

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

If I had to choose my favorite movie of all time, I would choose Clue. (and not just because of Tim Curry even though that is one of the secondary reasons) It's because this has to be one of the best mixtures of comedies and mystery I've ever come across and it is somehow based off of a board game.

What about this doesn't scream murder and fun and insanity?
And I haven't even told you about the alternate endings yet. What alternate endings? you may ask at this point but just keep your questions until after you watch the movie. Them you can return to this thread and laugh about it with the rest of us.

So two questions to get this post rolling.
1. Did you like the movie? Why or why not?
2. Who is your favorite character? Why?

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

1. OH YES

Just a little while ago my friend and I watched a very bad/creepy movie, and to heal the scars it gave us, I suggested that we watched Clue. Why? Because Clue is the perfect band-aid. As a light-hearted murder mystery made to entertain, it's ingeniously funny. It has the most quotable lines I've ever known a movie to have, some of the best GIFs, and hilarious characters.

2. Absolutely 100% Mr. Green. He's clumsy, he's awkward, he's adorable, he's gay
Spoiler! :
2/3 of the time

and unlike the other five criminals, who have all done some actually horrible things in the past, this guy's completely innocent. I pity him for having been locked in a mansion with a bunch of freaks, thrown into dangerous and uncomfortable situations.
How could you not love this guy?

3. Bonus Question: is Clue my favorite board game as well? Yes.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

766 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I'll have to add that one to the list. Came up with a few more which I'll attach to the bottom of this one.

1. If I didn't love the movie why would I make this post? Already explained my love for it above but let's run through this one more token.
It's so stupid and wacky that it's funny.
Tim Curry.
The alternate endings.
The FBI as a Watchtower spokesperson.

2. I would also have to say Mr. Green because who can't feel sorry for him. He's being blackmailed because he's gay and has never done anything like murder his last five spouses or sell out to the communists. Or blackmail people.
phpBB [media]

3. Yes. It is my favorite. I have four versions of it: really old one from the 50s that I got from my grandmother, the early 2000s remake where they made the pieces into actual peeps, Harry Potter, and Disney.

And now for the next set of questions.
4. What was your favorite murder?
5. Who was your favorite accomplice?
6. When did you first see the movie?
7. Where does your favoritism lie for each ending?
(If I remember correctly, when it was originally released, the different endings were shown at different theaters to really mess with people's minds.)

440 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 2:15 am
Wolfi says...

4. The Butler's, of course.
Spoiler! :
"Good shot, Green. Very good shot."

(Should I still be spoiling stuff? I guess not. But that was at the beginning of the post so I wouldn't want the post preview to give anything away.)

- EDIT: well, that didn't even matter, since it showed up in the preview anyway. Oh wellz.

5. When did someone help someone else with a murder?

6. Several years ago, rented from the library. My sister recommended it to me after we were playing the game one time. She told me about the multiple endings thing in different theaters and I thought that was the coolest thing ever (and I still do!).

7. The third is obviously the best (Butler's death, White's flames flames on the side of her face heavy breaths, best explanations for all the murders overall), and I'm mostly indifferent about the other two, because neither of them are the true ending! The one thing I'm not sure I like about the third ending is - although that last line is absolute gold - that Green turns out straight. I loved him gay xD
and do not be afraid.

766 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

But is he Wolf? Is he?
And for reference for 5, the people who got murdered and were accomplices in the acts getting blackmailed.

440 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Perhaps not ;)

Ahh, okay. Probably that poor singing telegram girl, then. D: I feel like they weren't around long enough for me to know their personalities, but I feel sorry for all of them.
and do not be afraid.

440 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Darn it, Liz. I'm supposed to be doing homework but instead I'm just laughing my head off watching Clue clips oh my goodness help.
and do not be afraid.

766 Reviews

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Thu May 11, 2017 7:12 am
View Likes
Cadi says...

I've only seen the film once, a couple of month ago, so I don't remember it in detail enough for the questions, but I do remember that Clue was absolutely everything I expected it to be, and it was beautiful. I'd been primed by friends to expect some ridiculous and cheesy escapades ("exactly as silly as 'a film based on Cluedo' sounds"), and I was in no way disappointed.

On Netflix, they play all three endings in order (presumably the same as they did on VHS?), so I kind of think of the first one as the "real" one because it came up first.

Spoiler! :

That was the one where Miss Scarlett dunnit.

I'm not so keen on the one where the butler dunnit, because I love Tim Curry and spent the whole film holding out for him to be innocent! Plus, the throwaway Mr Green line was one of the few jokes in the whole thing that made me go "hrmmmmm".

Also, I reckon I have definitely played Harry Potter: Mystery at Hogwarts way more than original Cluedo :P You get to be a wizard hat!
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson