z

Young Writers Society

GBF the Movie

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 pm
Lightsong says...

All right, I'm done with procrastinating. Let's do this.

So, before I'm reviewing this movie, I want to tell you why I want to do this. GBF is one of the few movies that gives me feels, and seriously, its every minutes is just full of substance that you can never run out of things to discuss about it.

The story revolves around a closeted gay student, Tanner, who is a comic geek and doesn't plan to come out in public. His best friend, Brent, however, has a different idea. Brent devises a plan to be the prom king by coming out, as the leading potential queens, Fawcett, Caprice, and Shley, are looking for a GBF, which stands for Gay Best Friend, the current trend. By having a GBF at their side, their spot as a prom queen is guaranteed.

Something like that.

Anyway, I can't exactly tell you how the story sails, but here's I can assure you: the portrayal of friendships here are meaningful and genuine. Everything doesn't go as Brent plans, and his friendship with Tanner falls apart. The steps that they take to make it worse and at the end, to make it right, are something we can learn from, because it poses the question: popularity or friends? Being seen as an accessory or actual human being? These question revolve around Tanner, who - surprise suprise! - is the one who comes out unwittingly.

And Tanner with Fawcett? The girl is pretty much stereotype representative of wealthy, mean girl, but she is more than that as we follow the story. By being Tanner's friend in the term's truest meaning, her other, unknown-to-public side is revealed.

The other girl leaders, Caprice and Shley are hilarious and unique on their own ways. Caprice is the charismatic diva everyone wants to be (I'm serious when I say everyone - you can learn a lot from her on how to control situations and persuade a large bunch of people and stuff) and Shley is a liberal, religious character (sounds contradicting? She'll prove you wrong, and you'll love her).

Tannner himself is a teenager you can relate to. He doesn't want fame; he just wants his rights as a human being just like the others. He wants to go to prom with a date, not being discriminated just because the date is also a guy. He also doesn't want to be promoted or to be kept as an accessory, but since he practically ditches his old friends, how could he regain their trust back? How could he stay in a circle of betrayals and lies and turn it into a better one?

The actress playing Sophie, one of Tanner's friend, is one of my favourite. She's the mean girl in Awkward, and here, she's mean too, but she's actually a good person. Does that confuse you? Well, watch it to understand what I want to say. She's unapologetic in speaking her mind, and when Tanner and Topher fall apart, she's the voice of reason that eventually wake them up from their delusional worlds.

Other characters are just as interesting as the ones above. Tanner's parents; Brent's mom; Shley's boyfriend Topher; Glenn; Soledad; Mrs. Vancouver; McKenzie (the truest mean girl, I tell you, but she gets my pity at the end); all of them have their own moments to shine. Or moments that don't bore you. Same diff.

Anyway, that's about it! I can type more, but really, it's better if you just watch it. I recommend this movie for every teenager out there. It's supposed to be rated PG, but for some reasons, it's rated R. Why? Search it in Wiki.

For those who have watched, well, what are you waiting for? Discuss the movie below!
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew