Young Writers Society

Twenty One Pilots vs. The Chainsmokers

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

In this first installment of Battle of the Bands, we're going right into the mouth of two divisive beasts and...well, hold on. Okay, yeah. There are rules to protect this series from a full-on melee.

TWENTY ONE PILOTS vs THE CHAINSMOKERS

I will start this TOTAL CIVIL bloodbath with a few questions for comparison to keep you in the middle...and then you can go as far in one direction as you want. Bwahaha.

1. Who do you think the bands cater to, and what makes them different? What makes them similar?

2. What is your top song from each of the bands? If this means most tolerable, so be it; but there's gotta be one, right? For me, it's Migraine vs. Paris.

3. What turns you off to one or both of the bands? Is it the lyricism? The music style? The combination of the two that...makes contemporary music?

Feel free to link any songs as evidence, as well as interviews or articles.

|-/
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 am
View Likes
Willard says...

Not hot on either of the bands, but this is an interesting discussion.

1. Twenty One Pilots definitely cater to Alternative fans, also teens who aren't hot into the super simple pop riffs that is prominent in mainstream music. Chainsmokers are on the flip side of that, entertaining mainstream fans with catchy electronic music. However, both of them still depend/rely on a pop song formula and attract a large number of fans. They do the same thing, yet differently.

2. Ode to Sleep vs. Closer. The last one gets played too much but BABY PULL ME CLOSER

3. Tyler and Josh are both great guys, their personalities are awesome, but I can't get into their music. I feel as if there's no depth to their lyrics or sound, it's uneventful pop. Chainsmokers, on the other hand, focus on the catchiness. I'm a sucker for Animal Collective, Beach Boys, and all those bands who focus on being poppy/catchy. They made Halsey kind of tolerable for me. But in terms of creativity, they don't really provide.

I feel as if it's "one band or another", as they achieve different things. I probably would weigh towards Chainsmokers.

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Alright lum dear, I listened to a mix of this crap on pandora last night to come comment here, just because I care about getting this bloodbath rolling.

1. So I'd say main difference between these two, is that Chainsmokers presents itself as mature and sophisticated enough for adult attention. I know my aunt occasionally listens to their stuff on the radio and is sort of accepting of it so... 21 pilots is definitely aiming for the fangirl, teenage band groupie type of people. I make this claim based on my friends and that one of my good friends loves 21 pilots above all else, couldn't give one care about the Chainsmokers. They're both definitely pop, which isn't really my favorite genre, but more on this later.

2. Of the couple of hours of songs I listened to, I liked Heathens for 21 Pilots and Don't Let Me Down for Chainsmokers. I still have mixed feelings on them but they were the ones I had the least hatred for.

3. I mean I don't really like pop or any music made after the early 80s in general. I barely suffer through some pop/rock sort of bands though
Panic! at the Disco and Locksley are growing on me a bit more now. I really just didn't like either one but of the two I guess I'd pick out Twenty one pilots. My friend listens to them a lot, I occasionally listen to them when I go over to her part of the state, and guess it's just a bit to do with exposure.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

First off, I love https://genius.com/10171346 because it's basically "The curtains were blue" but in real life.

Okay now to the questions.

1. I definitely agree with the prior commenters that Twenty One Pilots caters to teens who want to be alternative/edgy, though they are pretty poppy. It kind of makes me think of how I was obsessed with Good Charlotte/Avril Lavigne in middle school because I have the most embarrassing musical taste ever. The Chainsmokers is more about making a catchy dance/pop beat, which is cool too.

2. Heathens vs. Closer. Or maybe Stressed Out vs. Paris. I liked Stressed Out until it got way overplayed on pop and alternative radio, while Closer gets played a LOT but I still love it for some reason. So the win goes to the Chainsmokers.

3. For Twenty-One Pilots, I just generally feel they're overplayed, though that's true for a lot of music on the radio. Chainsmokers are also overplayed, though I like some of their songs more than others. I can't think of any specific reason I am turned off by either of them other than that.

Overall, I like the Chainsmokers more, though I'm hardly a giant fan of either band.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:40 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Just a quick note: the new album by The Chainsmokers is pretty great (and also 18+) but I still think I'm in the TOP camp for hybridism between bright sounds and darker lyrics.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild