z

Young Writers Society

Over the Garden Wall

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 am
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

Yes, that's right, Wirt. We're to talk about -- you've guessed it -- Over the Garden Wall.

Over the Garden Wall is a Cartoon Network miniseries by Patrick McHale about two brothers who get lost in a woods. It's a story about them trying to find their way home, learning their way in life, and finding the true meaning of being brothers.

It's funny, intuitive, creative, and unlike anything you've ever seen.

It has more songs than episodes -- with 10 episodes and 21 listed songs, and both the music and actual visuals of this show is beautiful.

If you've seen it, please feel free to share your experience and thoughts on it! And keep all spoilers under the spoilers bracket!
formerly ZlyWilk

Finally achieving my dreams. Dive into a unique horror story.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Ohh I loved this one! I watched it with @Alvarin after she talked me into it, and I've actually just recently thought of maybe rewatching it.

What I liked about it (and what I, at first, didn't like about it, heh) is that it's kind of silly at a glance, what with the way the characters are dressed and all the weird stuff going on — but underneath, once you get used to the way it presents its more serious topics, it's a seriously gorgeous story. It turns darker and emotionally deeper as the episodes go on, and there's a bunch of tiny jokes, wordplays and references all throughout the series...
Fair warning, though, the songs are quite likely to get stuck in your head. I still can't look at a potato without my brain pressing play on Potatoes and molasses on a loop :mrgreen:

I do definitely need to rewatch it.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

144 Reviews

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 am
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

I'm so glad you've seen and loved it too!

You know, I was totally prepared for silly going into it (as it was a silly friend of mine who was showing it to me originally). I'm surprised at how deep and dark it really was. And how beautiful the music is. It really just grabs and drags your soul. The writing is so magnificent, isn't it? I was just watching the final episode, and even the throwaway lines background characters are saying are hilarious. They really struck gold with that one. Sadder that it's not more popular!

Who is your favorite character, and why?

Spoiler! :
What did you think of the ending of the show? I've heard a lot of different theories and opinions on what they decided to do. Personally, I don't think it could've been more perfect.
formerly ZlyWilk

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:46 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Downloading this now so I can join the discussion. >:] It looks absolutely delightful!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:55 am
View Likes
BeTheChange says...

This is legitimately my main fandom! I'm so glad to find others who enjoy it. :D

144 Reviews

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:47 am
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

Let us know what you think when you see it, @Lumi! And yes, @bookishminecrafter, it's amazing! One of my favorite shows. I've been listening to all the music as I review today.
What's your favorite song from it?
formerly ZlyWilk

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:49 am
View Likes
BeTheChange says...

I like all of them! I can't really name a specific favorite, because it's been a while since I watched it. Lol.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:07 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

I watched episodes of this to reward myself for doing homework a month ago and fell in love instantly! I appreciated how it ended with questions about what was real and what was made up, the wink to the audience that we all know we suspended belief for ten episodes.
Test

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni