Young Writers Society

Let's talk about Bastion!

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Launched in 2011, Bastion is a fresh lime twist on the point and kill RPG that we're all familiar with. With professional narration that follows you to tell your story as you (The Kid) uncover more of your world and story, you (the player) instantly find yourself enthralled in its real-time rendering environment and fresh art style.

In short, this game is every good song remix you've ever heard, all made into a new being.

To start the discussion, @Kyllorac and I felt that it would be fairest to break Bastion down into its four most admirable qualities:

1. The Narrator. That molasses-sweet western drawl in the deep gravel following your actions through the story really is the first thing that I believe seals your hours poured into this game. It's a wonderful technique, and the narration was wonderfully written.

2. The MUSIC. You who know me know that I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack. Bastion is no exception, but it totally breaks away from its RPG fantasy brothers and sisters and goes for a western and sometimes bluesy feel. It's frequented in my playlists.

3. The world is as new as you seeing it. If you watch a video on Bastion - go ahead, go watch one - the most notable thing, I think, is that the world renders out of the void mere paces in front of you, which is both haunting and, again, enthralling. This technique powers up the feeling of exploration. Always for the better.

4. The ART STYLE. Entirely fresh and unique, Bastion cares nothing to nod to pixel bros or Dx9 wonders. Instead, it blends together legitimate art that I found myself slowing down to appreciate. I mean it, guys. The hours. THE HOURS you will spend in this game for every little thing.

It's astounding. I look forward to hearing from you. c:
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 am
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

I'm not sure if I'm allowed/supposed to reply to something like this (I never was very active in forums), but this has totally reminded me of Bastion and the love I have for it! I found it in the back of my husband's games on Steam, and decided to give it a whirl. Though I'm not a gaming whiz, I personally deeply appreciate the game and love how kind it is with dying. I feel like there's always so much more to do, and the way the game is so bright and beautiful, contrasting with the quiet sadness of the original subject matter, is truly brilliant. I'm so glad to hear others think highly of the game, too!
formerly ZlyWilk

Finally achieving my dreams. Dive into a unique horror story.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:21 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

@GoldenQuill

Reply! By all means reply! Spread the Bastion love!

Ahem.

Bastion is one of my favorite, favorite games that I keep installed on my computer at all times because the artwork is just gorgeous, the music is perfect (not just in how nice it is but in how it sets the mood of the levels), and the level of challenge is perfect for a range of players.

It's one of the few games I've bothered to get 100% completion with, and it was a challenge. A fully optional challenge that could be completed at almost any time throughout the game.

Bastion is really interesting because it is a very linear game, and yet the optional challenges are not.

Sometimes I do wish there were more to Bastian content-and exploration-wise, but at the same time, it is a highly polished package, and I don't think you could add more without artificially inflating the playtime.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief