Young Writers Society

Steven Universe!

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:40 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Okay, Gems. We have a lot of talk ahead of us and a to-o-on of emotional gifs and memes. Let's start this baby off with some basic questions.

Who is your favorite gem--if you can pick one--and why?

Out of the enormous soundtrack, what track is your happy jam? Your sad jam? The one that brings you down from a cliff?

The story arc that shook you the most?!

HAVE YOU EVEN WATCHED THIS SHOW?

Do you admire Rebecca Sugar for her writing? Do you think she's pandering to social justice? Do you think she's not pushing enough? Or is she walking the right balance between kid's Mac 'n Cheese and adult themes like death, loss, gender identity, and sexuality?

And who's your favorite non-kickbutt human?

I have so many thoughts on this and will unload ALL OF THEM when people speak. >:]

Also, lol. I hope you like the chords. Figured someone out there would get 'em.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 pm
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

Hiya, Lumi!

1. Pearl is, by far, my favorite gem. I can't quite pinpoint a reason why. She is beautiful, flawed, but refined. She has serious, glaring issues as a person, but she is also continually redeemed. She makes mistakes, and always searches for worthiness. She is one of the most "human" gems (hah), and I appreciate it. I appreciate all of her. How judgmental she is. All of her mistakes. I just... love her.

2. My happy jam is totally "I Think I Need A Little Change", currently. My sad jam is "Full Disclosure". The one that brings me down from a cliff? Probably "Peace and Love (On Planet Earth)". All of these get me in the heart. Other favorites are: anything Pearl sings ever. I love her voice.

3. This is a hard one, and one that I'm not sure I can get too much into without spoiling it! The entire story arc with Steven discovering who his mom truly is is currently shaking me to the core. I think the arc with the Rubies and Steven getting thrown into space was the one that affected me the most. I don't know why. It wasn't even a big thing. But it really touched me. Steven was losing a lot of his innocence. It completely set up "Mindful Education". I don't know, I think that was it.

4. Nah, I just have heard about it from friends. YES OF COURSE I'VE WATCHED IT. And I'm so glad I have! It's my favorite show currently.

5. Oh, bother. I don't get why people are mad at Rebecca Sugar. I think the amount of line pushing she is doing currently is flippin' amazing. I'm in love with her and will always avidly follow her work. What a revolution. What an angel. Truly showing that Cartoon Network can have good shows you can push the boundaries of children's television and bring quality entertainment for all, as well as beautiful representations.

6. They're all kick-butt! But probably Sadie, Greg, or Kiki.

I LOVE THE CHORDS! I transcribed the theme (and other songs) by ear on many instruments, so it touched my heart.
formerly ZlyWilk

Finally achieving my dreams. Dive into a unique horror story.

144 Reviews

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 pm
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

Also, (double-posting is a big no-no I'm sure, but I just realized how I left that post and I wanted you to see I wrote more) I'd love to hear your answers to all of those questions!

Also, what do you think of the music in general? What was your favorite episode, and why? And who is your favorite overall character?
formerly ZlyWilk

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 am
View Likes
Dest says...

My favorite gem is Garnet! I love how she appears to emotionless but actually is pretty motherly and funny.

I really like the theme song, the Nintendo-inspired night club song Stevonnie danced to, and the background instrumentals in general.

When Jasper and Peridot first showed up and basically destroyed everything. Learning about Amethyst's upbringing is also a doozy.

Of course! :D But, I am majorly behind. The last episode I saw, Steven's dad got kidnapped.

I admire her for writing the story she wants to write.

Does Connie count? If so, I like her a whole bunch, she's actually my favorite. She reminds me a bit of myself, bookish, determined to learn, and likes to have fun.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:43 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Okay. Rambling incoming. PREPARE YOURSELVES.

My favorite gem is Lapis Lazuli. Her presence in the show has been used to tell stories and teach lessons that are so difficult to explain, but are so well-executed. Like a lot of people whine about her flat personality most of the time, but legit how would you act if your entire canonical existence had been Prisoner No. 1? And the stuff they pull off showing the half-desire and restraint to rejoin with Jasper because there's always some good in a toxic relationship and we will want those things but should overcome the urges--it really hurt me in the perfect way. I needed it. I love her for it.

The music.

"Here Comes A Thought" regularly brings me down from dangerous mind spaces. Like. I can regularly count on it to be my saving grace in rough times. Also it has major reiki undertones in the video.

"It's Over Isn't It" and "Love Like You" (the one from Bubbled) are tied for the ones that make me feel the most feels. IOII is gut-wrenching and character-developing for Pearl and it gives so much lore without bashing us with it (like Yellow D's song); but Love Like You, in its complete form, is so haunting and melancholy. It makes me wonder why they've opted not to give Season 4 a second lyrical ending--instead things that sound like transmissions from homeworld.

I have to agree that my favorite arc so far has been spanning from the Summer of Steven when he begins to find out what Rose really did via Bismuth to now with Blue D and the Menagerie. And the last episode (because I will not count Rocknaldo as an episode at any point in history) made me hurt so much because I feel like it was so formative for him to say it for himself that Rose was an imperfect gem, and that he has to deal with imperfect circumstances because of it.

Rebecca Sugar is one of my role models despite her only being two (?) years older than me. She is unabashedly bold and creative and has a way of surrounding herself with wonderfully creative people so that the beauty never stops. She does push envelopes and boundaries, but like @GoldenQuill said, she's showing that you can teach lessons and give quality TV to kids and adults simultaneously. She's a wonderful being, and I aspire to be like her.

My favorite non-kickbutt human would be ONION. I believe he is the closest the world will come to emulating a crystal gem, let's be honest. Vidalia is pretty cool too. And Sour Cream. Actually, the whole Vidalia family is awesome.

And my overall favorite character is Sardonyx. I have a compilation of her laughs on video.

Speaking of which, who is your favorite fusion?!
-Shinji Moon

144 Reviews

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 am
View Likes
GoldenQuill says...

Thanks for your reply, @Lumi! Lapis is definitely a huge favorite. I'm so excited to see more of her (and Peridot). I love anything to do with water, so Lapis really made me happy.

My favorite fusion? That's hard! Garnet? Sardonyx? Opal is my favorite gem, so she was an early favorite, but they haven't done enough with her yet! I want more Opal! I need to see more of her! So much untapped potential! So it's hard to say, as of yet.

Now, to some serious discussion! Nothing is perfect, right? What's a flaw of the show that you have? Why do you think it's a flaw, and does it impact the show's likeability and watchability (that's not a word) at all?
formerly ZlyWilk

745 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:05 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

@GoldenQuill --> Your questions were hard!

I think the biggest flaw I have is...okay. Let me explain a conversation I had with @Bloo a few days ago regarding something I picked up on in the latest arc.

The diamonds know how to sing, and so do their pearls. The crystal gems know how to sing. Earthlings know how to sing.

Peridot did not. Lapis has not sung yet, though she has made music with Peridot.

My headcanon was that Pink Diamond brought elite gem music to Earth and gave it as a gift to her precious humans--and Bloo's rebuttal was "Yes, that makes up for the genocide and war and time bomb in the planet."

So my complaint, as of the latest arc, is that they've been artificially humanizing the Big Bads. And it's working on Blue Diamond, but not on Yellow. I highly doubt it will work on White, as I believe her to be the source of the corruption.

I also think their quick involvement of the diamonds in such abundance has put them in a bit of a plot corner...and on a bit of a short lifeline--meaning I don't believe Steven Universe has above 6-7 seasons of full content in it, which breaks my heart.

What about you?
-Shinji Moon

144 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2017 12:01 am
GoldenQuill says...

Sorry I've been away for a bit, Lumi. Good to see your replies. Really interesting on your viewpoints on all of this. I always assumed that maybe there were different words in Gem language for music, which is maybe why Peridot was confused in "Peace and Love", but your idea is much more interesting!

It's hard for me to say what my least favorite thing about it is. I love the show so completely, but I find that a downfall is, strangely enough, the music. A lot of times, there is music in which the characters who are singing aren't that strong in the song, or they are attempting to voice act, so they don't quite sound ~professional~ and all. Which for me, in context and outside of the show, is fine. It makes it more realistic. But it also means my family hates the show because I play the music and they don't like it. Understandably so, but I wish it wasn't the case. There's a lot of songs that feel way less strong than others.

I know maybe manny others don't know or care about this kind of stuff, but as a professionally trained musician, it's hard. I also know it's a very unpopular opinion, so I'm often afraid to say this. :S

Also, I feel like Yellow Diamond may never be humanized, because of the way her character is. I actually appreciate it. I enjoy what she adds to the show.

I'd love to hear your thoughts in all of this! In addition, what's your favorite headcanon, if any?
formerly ZlyWilk

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
— Miles Kington