z

Young Writers Society

...Undertale

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:12 am
Lumi says...

Smart, quirky, chilling down to your bones at your very own hands--UNDERTALE took the internet by storm in 2015, and found its way into my Steam gift box at Christmas that same year.

There's an infinite number of ways to approach the discussion, guys! From how its replay value alone is unique to how endearing and humbling each of the characters are. At the beginning of each day, if I'm feeling like trash, you bet your sweet novels I put on my Napstablook pin.

Who is your favorite monster? Small, main, bartender-on-fire? They're all equal in Frisk's eyes.

And which ending do you believe to be the true ending? Why is that?

...why would you put me through reading anything other than pure pacifist? ;.;

This game, guys. It's absolutely wonderful. It's absolutely worth your time. If you haven't played it yet, get on Steam and grab a copy--it's super cheap.

Oh. And guys? What's your favorite tune? (Try to answer while @AstralHunter is asleep so he doesn't burst his skin running for a keyboard.)
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:19 am
View Likes
birk says...

I've had this game for so long and never played it!! :O :O
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:53 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Undertale is amazing. Sans is one of the most badass characters ever XD
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Too late! I cannot be stopped now!

Spoiler! :
♦ My favourite characters - because choosing only one of the family would be absurd - are the Dreemurrs. I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself if I went into details about why I love those three so much, but if I ever had to choose a substitute family, it would be them. Absolutely. In fact, when I saw the room in Home that said "Under Renovations", I genuinely thought that after you had reached New Home and discovered you really were trapped underground, you returned to Toriel and lived with her for the rest of your life. That room (which was, of course, Asgore's old bedroom) would then be yours and you and Toriel would look after any other humans who fell down.

...See what I meant when I said I can't restrain myself when it comes to this? XD

Anyway, just because those three are my favourites, it doesn't mean I don't love the others immensely too. Elaborating on a few would indicate even further favouritism, so I'll have to settle for monsters = <3.

♦ The true pacifist ending is the obvious and true answer for most of us. I've watched the genocide route, but I don't plan on playing it. 100% game completion will never be worth betraying so many friends and family, even if fighting Sans and Undyne the Undying would be frustratingly fun.

♦ My favourite tracks - making me choose just one would be cruel, since each is associated with a different emotion and memory (and these are just the ones I rated five stars!) - are: Undertale, ASGORE, Finale, Fallen Down (Reprise), Hopes and Dreams, SAVE the World, His Theme, and Respite. No other soundtrack can prompt the fond recollection of my experiences in a world as frequently and intensely as this one. Toby Fox is an ingenious composer.

Before you click that spoiler, answer this question: Have you seen Undertale's credits? If the answer is no, then begone with you! Avoid this thread and all online content related to it and go play it. You may or may not know what you are missing, but I cannot recommend the game enough.

If you have seen the credits, that means you've finished it - please don't go and do something you'll regret later - so then you can read as much as you like.

To all those who will reply to this in future, have some butterscotch-cinnamon pie while you wait. *offers*

PS: If you're ordinarily allergic to cinnamon, you can eat the pie anyway. It's not human food, so it can't cause anaphylactic shock. ;)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

@birk! What doing?! Neglect life for a few days and love on some magic goats. >:3 It's an incredibly fulfilling experience, and time flies when you play it. You walk away with a distrust of flowers, knives, and yourself, but all-in-all it's lovely.

@Persistence --> Yaaaaaaaaaaas! To Hunter's point, I'm a bit interested to know how the game would play if element x was changed, element y, element z at different times. Say, the music for example. I don't think you'd fall for Papyrus the same way if his track had a full orchestra and all that jazz that vidya gaemz do now. That I admittedly eat alive. But still.

And I guess I should answer my own questions! (Tagging @AstralHunter here because <3 friend)

I think my favorite character is Napstablook. Sure, Asriel makes me cry, but I wear Napstablook everyday. There's just a resonance there. Between lying on the ground to feel like garbage to getting his life's excitement vicariously through someone he adores. Just. Napstablook, man.

For emotion's sake, I'd say the true pacifist ending is my true ending.

...for Sequel's Sake, I'd say Undyne's Rebellion is closer to the truth. I don't think there will be a sequel. I don't want there to be as I like things to be self-contained and standalone. BUT I can see the angle here.

And post-genocide pacifist was made for the fic community.

Favorite tracks...ho hum. His Theme. Battle Against A True Hero. And everyone's favorite boneheaded track: Bonetrousle.
-Shinji Moon

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 pm
View Likes
RippleGylf says...

Undertale is just fantastic, and makes my inner game designer squee. <3 Everything is so wonderfully designed, from the characters to the fights. My only nitpick about the design would have to be sparing Undyne. On my first playthrough, I though the whole point was that I had to out-determination Undyne (as if that were even possible).

Napstablook's also my favorite. I do really like Undyne, once you get to know her in the Pacifist route. I mean, who wouldn't want cooking lessons from Undyne?

Pacifist has to be the true ending for me.

Favorite Tracks?
Spear of Justice, which is the musical equivalent of getting heroically punched in the face.
Megalovania, though I haven't done genocide
Spider Dance
Undertale
Hopes and Dreams

Though not one of my favorite tracks, it deserves an honorable mention for its title:
Can You Really Call This A Hotel, I Didn't Receive A Mint On My Pillow Or Anything
"Eternity, I hear you calling, but you will not have me yet."

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:04 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Papyrus is my favorite major character, who shall always be my boyfriend, and Lesser Dog is my favorite minor monster, who I shall never stop petting.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:29 pm
deleted5 says...

I never finished the game:/
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm
sheysse says...

Took me way too long to find this, and I have to do it.

Favorite monster is Flowey or Asriel, however you wanna look at it.

Pacifist is true, because it is the just and happy ending.

Hopes and Dreams is the best, just saying. Completely superior to all other OSTs.

By the way, if you don't have a Steam account, like me, go to undertale.net and buy it for $9.99. It is completely worth it, trust me.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 am
Lumi says...

@Sheyren - @AstralHunter - @Wolfical - @RippleGylf - @AlexSushiDog - @Persistence

Finished the game or no, which fight was your favorite? Which fight do you think was the best designed / would be the most fun to write in a novel? Aaaand which was the hardest for you?
-Shinji Moon

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 am
View Likes
RippleGylf says...

The fight with Mettaton was probably my favorite. The bit of strategy required to spare him was compelling.

Best designed would probably be Asgore, but Undyne's would be the only one I could conceptually picture well enough to write. That or Asriel's.

Undyne's was the hardest for me, only because I didn't understand how I was supposed to spare her, 'cause I'm a newb.
"Eternity, I hear you calling, but you will not have me yet."

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I think my favorite fight, and favorite fight to write would be the final fight against Sans if you went Genocide run. Funnily enough, that was also the most difficult for me. I did do a pacifist run first, though, because I didn't feel up to killing all of my favorite characters yet.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

Asriel Dreemurr for the best designed and most fun to write and my favorite. Dummy! was the hardest because I didn't realize healing items existed... Made it a lot more difficult than the battle truly was. xD

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:40 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

The first two questions are difficult for me to answer, so I'll start with the last one.

♦ The most difficult fight for me was Undyne's. She probably killed me the most out of all the characters - except for Aaron, because whenever I play games like Undertale, Pokémon or Final Fantasy, I forget I'm allowed to run away... - because I thought I had to "out-determination" her and got stuck in a neverending battle as a result. I even killed her a few times to see whether I'd get new dialogue options that would help, but I only got a broken heart and a guilty conscience for my efforts. Again, I didn't realise running away was even allowed in the game, so I have my brother to thank for telling me you have to run away. XD

♦ Lemon Bread. I can't be the only one who suffered several deaths before finally getting past her. And that battle was freaky to boot! D:

♦ Following the reverse order, the fight I'd enjoy describing the most would be... well, I can't decide, so I'll use process of elimination. The Dreemurrs are all out, since they'd just make me cry again (and in the case of Flowey/Asriel, I'd be uncertain about how to write a scene in a fragmented reality). Sans' and Undyne the Undying's fights would be too depressing. That leaves Papyrus, Undyne, Mad Dummy, Muffet and Mettaton. Hmm. Let's go with Dummy! His antics would be fun to describe.

♦ The best designed battle would depend on whether the technical aspects count more than the impact of the battle. If that is indeed the case, Sans' beats all the others hands down (bad-dum tss) because of ingenious mechanics and degree of difficulty. Otherwise, I'd say Asriel's has the greatest impact on the players while still using unique gameplay features.

I have a few notes before I submit this. Toriel's and Napstablook's fights would be incredibly difficult under normal circumstances, since Toriel could kill us all with ease if she wasn't so merciful, while I have yet to see someone survive insulting Napstablook's tophat. And the Amalgamates deserve a mention because- hold on, I need to go correct something. Done. Seriously, stay away from any citrus loaves in future. *shivers* Anyway, the Amalgamates deserve a mention for how disturbing their encounters and themes are. Talk about a little lab of horrors.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll