z

Young Writers Society

Frozen: Overrated or Insanely Awesome?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 am
Zolen says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvwMtWkfkJ8
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:52 am
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

I thought Frozen was a Disney failure. One of the reasons I don't like it;

HEAD TROLL: Born with the powers or cursed?
FATHER: Born. And they're getting stronger.

Later on during the reprise of FTFTIF

Elsa says, "I can't control the curse".
It's not a curse.

The songs were kind of weird, although Let It Go and RABTP were ok...
I though Olaf was kind of creepy.

Tangled was much better. Minimum songs, great characters, great storyline.

The one thing I like about Disney is that they are trying to re-create old fairy tales.

The thing I don't like about them is that they fail miserably.
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 am
Satira says...

I don't know. The plot(in my opinion) was crap. But when Elsa sings 'let it go', I just start to hyperventilate in happiness because I'm a writer and I like to compare stupid disney songs to my weirdness and how I have no friends.
the movie wasn't great... And I want a princess who is quiet and not particularly kind... Not outgoing(INTROVERTED). That's why I liked Elsa, but she is a relatively minor character even if the movie is centered around her.
And Kristoff reminds me of a friend I (used to) have, so that's a plus for me...
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:34 pm
Zolen says...

Tangled, the movie people are claiming is better confused me, the story claimed a sun "drop" came down and somehow turned into a flower, and some witch found it, knew what it did, and knew what to sing to cause it to give her immortality. Yet after thousands of years she never once thought to move the flower to a better hiding place so it eventually was used to heal some girl even though shortly after it came into existence its existence was hidden.

As for frozen, I know the story it was based off of, and read it in my youth, and wish they would have followed the original idea more, it was more interesting. "The Snow Queen"
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm
Holysocks says...

I haven't seen Frozen or Tangled... but I have noticed that Frozen seems to be a favourite among 15 - 23 year old men. Which I find interesting. :-P
100% autistic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:20 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Warning: long post ahead.

I love Frozen. :D

As to why...*rubs hands together eagerly*

1. It made a huge impression on first viewing. When I sat down to watch it with my family, I was not expecting anything really good. I like most Disney movies, but I don't love them, and I tend to find them predictable.

It was not predicable, at least not for me. The narrative actively plays with the conventional "Disney" tropes, setting them up only to pull them out from under the audience's feet in a lovely subversion. For example, every sign for a typical Disney villain is checked off in the case of the Duke. He looks and acts like the villain of the piece. Han, on the contrary, ticks every box for the love interest. I didn't even start suspecting Han until the beginning of the scene where he reveals himself. I love how it completely plays with what we expect out of a Disney movie.

2. The animation. Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous! Especially the "Let it Go" sequence. Made all the more powerful on first viewing by the fact that I had been watching a lot of 70's Doctor Who, whose special effects are unspeakably terrible. :P

3. I liked how, even though there was still a villain, Han wasn't all that involved in the plot. He didn't cause the central problem, he only made them waste some of the precious time they had to fix the problem. Also, I liked how his motivations were more relatable than the usual Disney fare.

4. "Let it Go" spoke to me on a personal level. I'm not very good at making friends, so I constantly find myself watching every word I say to my friends and worrying about saying the wrong thing and loosing them. So I could totally relate to Elsa in many ways. Plus it's just such an inspirational piece of music. (And incredibly fun to dance to. You get to over-exaggerate all the motions while singing it at the top of your lungs. XD)

5. Olaf's adorable. :) (IMO, of course.)

6. All the other songs are great. I especially like "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" and "Love is an Open Door."

"Love is an Open Door" is really interesting to re-watch once you know Han is a villain. On the first run-through, it completely sells you - it's a well-established Disney trope, after all, that when two characters meet and have a love song together, they are now in love. However, upon re-watch, you may notice how Han is the one to mostly close all the open doors. You can also notice him molding himself to fit Anna - agreeing with her on everything and generally following her lead. It's subtle bits of foreshadowing like these that I love.

I like "For the First Time in Forever" not so much because of the song itself, but because of the amazing contrast it so clearly shows between Anna and Elsa. Both have such a different set of worries, fears, and hopes. Great character work on display there.

7. I think it's cool that it apparently takes place in the same world as Tangled.

So yeah, those are some of the things I really like about Frozen.

A few things other people brought up that I want to address:

1. Olaf's sacrifice should have saved Anna.
Not necessarily - I submit that the act of true love had to be performed by either Anna or Elsa all along, because they were the two actually in conflict. Olaf was not directly involved in their conflict and that is probably why his sacrifice didn't work.

2. How does Anna remember Olaf if the troll took all memory of magic out of her?
The troll states that he will remove the memory of magic but leave the fun. As he says it, pictures of Anna and Elsa playing together in the hall with snow created using Elsa's powers change to pictures of them playing outside in natural snow. Thus, it's safe to assume that Anna remembers building Olaf outside with Elsa. If I remember correctly, Olaf is even in one of the changed pictures.

3. It's overrated
I actually agree with this. While it was a very well-made movie, and I really enjoyed it, the hype got old really fast, and there's only so many times anyone can listen to a song without screaming. Thankfully, because I tend to be oblivious to and disassociated with pop culture, I was spared most of this.

Anyway, this post has gotten long enough. Sorry about that, I just really like reviewing/analyzing/raving about stuff I like, and I read reviews for fun so I know how to analyze stuff. I'm just strange like that. :D
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:15 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

Zolen, Tangled confused me a bit too, but not for the same reason.

The witch is shown in the beginning as being old, then she turned young by singing to the flower. That was also when the soldiers found it.

So, the flower healed the queen, and the queen had a baby.
Yet when the witch comes to take the child away, she's old again!
How did that happen?
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:36 pm
Mysticalxx says...

WAYYYYY OVERRATED. Seriously, the way people fawn over Frozen makes me so annoyed. Like, it's just an annoying musical type movie. I even like Tangld better.
We all want to be different, which makes us all the same.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:11 am
Stori says...

I'm reading this and wanting to chuckle because, believe it or not, both guys and girls are talking about a Disney movie. And one more cent- hearing "Let it Go" on the radio doesn't work. It needs context or it's not the same.

While I'm on my soapbox, I submit that it's nice to see Disney do something without a "love interest", per se, in it. Believe me when I say that throwing in a character just for the sake of having romance is trite.

To sum up, you folks have made me want to watch Frozen again, this time analyzing rather than just observing.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:47 am
Sujana says...

Meh. Maybe it's because I don't see good music, just story and visuals, but I liked Princess and the Frog better. Which is a shame, because Frozen has successfully ruled the world.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:15 pm
Pompadour says...

Frozen is definitely not Disney's best. I just think they could have done so much better--but didn't.

On the other hand, if you haven't heard the French version of 'Let it Go', go do that right now.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer