Young Writers Society

Frozen: Overrated or Insanely Awesome?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:39 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

My favorite song was actually the Fixer Upper song. It reminds me of meeting my husband's family. And it reminds me of my family when they try to push you with someone. XD

Eh. It was okay? There were tons of plotholes and everybody but Kristoff, Anna, and Elsa were flat, boring characters. Also, the king and queen win zero points from me for emotionally abusing their daughter to that extent.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:41 am
deleted30 says...

Snoink wrote:Also, the king and queen win zero points from me for emotionally abusing their daughter to that extent.

Agreed. XD

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:47 am
View Likes
rawrafied says...

Messenger wrote:I totally don't agree. I don't think it deserves the praise it is getting, at all. Tangled (in my opinion the better of the two) wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, and Frozen won one! That's not right in my book. I though ht it was a worse movie. It had too many errors.

Well, keep in mind the other nominees for Best Animation at the Oscars for this year and 2011 (Tangled). Tangled appropriately lost to Toy Story 3 (if you disagree, then you have no soul [jk ;P]). Where this year, Frozen went up against lesser quality animations. So, of course it was going to win. I personally think Frozen is all together far better than Tangled, but I definitely don't think either are Oscar worthy.

----

As for my opinion on the reception of the film:

I love Disney. I've been obsessed with it for years. It's the reason I decided to learn animation. The music, the art, the stories (for the most part) are great. In addition, I've been excited for an animation adaptation of 'The Snow Queen' by Disney since I heard about it around the time they were working on 'The Princess and The Frog'. And for the longest time, was afraid they'd never do it because it kept getting shelved. Also, 'The Snow Queen' is one of my favorite fairy tales and I'm a cult follower of Idina Menzel.

That said, I agree that this film is COMPLETELY over-rated. Is it good? Yes. Is it a step in the right direction for Disney? Yes. (IMO, of course). However, the belief that this film is the most progressive that Disney has done, animation-wise, just makes a Disney-fan like me groan.

Yes, the sister focus story was progressive as was the Hans switch and a non-pretty-boy hero.

Just using examples of under-appreciated post-Renaissance Disney movies: Mulan went against sexist ignorance and saved all of China from the Huns. Megara worked for Hades (essentially starting as a villain) and had a bias against love from previous heart break. And let's not forget Frollo who 'wanted to purge the world of vice and sin' (AKA gypsies) and had 'unsavory thoughts' about Esmeralda.

Though, some things I liked: I actually really loved 'Love Is An Open Door'. It's definitely a song you have to listen to a second time to appreciate in its entirety. And I know people complain about it being sappy and stuff, but I think that's suppose to help demonstrate where Anna and Hans 'love' failed. That it was unrealistic from the beginning. And of course, I also love 'Let It Go', 'For The First Time In Forever' + reprise, 'In Summer', 'Do You Wanna Build A Snow Man?', 'Elsa and Anna', and 'The Great Thaw'.

Honestly, things that really worked in this movie, that I hope they continue to do, is the music and allowing the voice actors to have more influence of their characters.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55 am
deleted30 says...

rawrafied wrote:Well, keep in mind the other nominees for Best Animation at the Oscars for this year and 2011 (Tangled). Tangled appropriately lost to Toy Story 3 (if you disagree, then you have no soul [jk ;P]).

I must have no soul, because I disagree. XD Toy Story 3 was a train wreck, in my opinion. It ruined the otherwise glorious series. Now that is an overrated movie if I've ever seen one! Besides for the lovely, tear-jerking ending, the talented voice cast, and the beautiful animation... it was pretty awful, in my opinion.

Honestly, I enjoyed Tangled much more and have seen it several times since, while Toy Story 3 I plan on never, ever watching again.

That said, I agree that this film is COMPLETELY over-rated. Is it good? Yes. Is it a step in the right direction for Disney? Yes. (IMO, of course). However, the belief that this film is the most progressive that Disney has done, animation-wise, just makes a Disney-fan like me groan.

Yes, the sister focus story was progressive as was the Hans switch and a non-pretty-boy hero.

Just using examples of under-appreciated post-Renaissance Disney movies: Mulan went against sexist ignorance and saved all of China from the Huns. Megara worked for Hades (essentially starting as a villain) and had a bias against love from previous heart break. And let's not forget Frollo who 'wanted to purge the world of vice and sin' (AKA gypsies) and had 'unsavory thoughts' about Esmeralda.

I pretty much agree with you on this. I do think it is a step in the right direction, especially when compared to other recent Disney trash, but it doesn't live up to some previous Disney films—like Mulan or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Also, the fact that some people have said it's as good as The Lion King is ridiculous and laughable. It's nowhere NEAR as good as TLK, and it seem like complete garbage comparatively, if you ask me.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:02 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Short Opinion: It was really good, but I also think it was over-rated--good but too hyped-up--and definitely NOT "the best Disney movie since The Lion King."

Long Opinion:

What I liked was that Elsa and Anna were so relateable. That Elsa had depression and anxiety about her powers and subtly abusive parents and Anna was naive and awkward and sometimes said weird things or just didn't know how to interact with people.

I liked the music, although the opening piece--while awesome and a Capella--seemed more fitting with a Lion King kind of setting than a Frozen kind of setting. On that note, I think "Let It Go" got more hype than it deserved--I mean, if I'm upset then it's the perfect song to sing, but otherwise I don't think its tune or lyrics were particularly special.

I liked the fact that there was a gay character. Which apparently some people have been trying to say it was a WOMAN in the sauna with the children, but, um, if it was then a) she didn't have any mammaries and b) she was shirtless and I really don't see Disney putting a shirtless woman in a sauna? It was a man, guys. Get over it. On that note, it amuses me that all the angry bloggers who think this movie has a "gay agenda" don't even mention this character so I don't understand at all.

I liked that, although we were led to believe that a true love's kiss would be the saving grace in this movie (as in many others), Anna ultimately saved herself by an act of true love toward her sister. This a) acknowledges the power of nonromantic types of love and b) subverts the expectation that a man will save the beautiful maiden.

I liked Olaf. Enough said.

But I'm stuck on some things.

1. Okay, so in the beginning the trolls ask if Elsa was born or cursed with her powers, and her father says she was born with the powers, but--I mean, no one else in the family has them and there's never any like "every seventh generation has a person like this" or anything like that. It's just "Oh, she was born with them," and that's that. I mean, I don't need a whole scientific explanation of why this power exists, but even in Harry Potter, like Muggleborns are a thing and then Squibs are a thing, but in this movie Elsa is literally the only person with anything like this at all and it just bothers me.

2. OKAY, this bugs me way more. Olaf's act of true love should've saved Anna. Like he comes in and starts a fire for her, and she's like, "You need to go or you'll melt and die!" and he plops down next to her and says, "I'm not going anywhere until we figure out another way to save you" and, of course, "Some people are worth melting for." That was an act of true friendship love, and since nonromantic love obviously works in this movie, that should've saved her. And I'm mad that it didn't. Like his love is less important or something. And I just can't get over that.

3. Kind of the Hans thing, because if you don't pick up on the gloves (people with gloves=people hiding things) then there is literally no hint that he's going to be evil. Like it's a plot twist but it seems like it's a plot twist out of nowhere. Not like in Memoirs of a Geisha where Pumpkin betrays Sayuri, but like you could see that because you knew she wanted to become the daughter of the okiya but didn't end up that way because Mother adopted Sayuri instead. I mean, there it's a plot twist but it's built out of something that was there earlier. Whereas all you get with Hans--not counting the gloves, because that's a ridiculously subtle thing that most people aren't going to catch--is the fact that he's royalty but has twelve older brothers. But his actions throughout the film--I mean, he takes SUCH GOOD CARE of Arendelle while Anna and Elsa are gone, and he's all "don't hurt the queen" and "if you could just stop the winter," but then suddenly he's all "if only someone loved you" and "I'm going to cut this bish down myself." Like, wtf? Out of nowhere. I don't like it, even though I do like that it led to a nonromantic true love saving the day. But it doesn't bug me nearly as much as point number 2.

So I mostly can't get over the Olaf thing, but otherwise I just, like it was really good but I still also think it was overrated.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:03 am
BluesClues says...

(In other news, I cannot agree with @Lucrezia on TS3. It was the perfect way to end the series, right when those of us who grew up with it were first going off to college, and frankly I'm pissed off that they're even TALKING about making a fourth one because WHY?)

Random avatar

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:08 am
deleted30 says...

BlueAfrica wrote:(In other news, I cannot agree with @Lucrezia on TS3. It was the perfect way to end the series, right when those of us who grew up with it were first going off to college, and frankly I'm pissed off that they're even TALKING about making a fourth one because WHY?)

Lol, I expected that to be controversial. I'm the only person I know who loathed it. XD

Anyway, I'm in agreement with you, @BlueAfrica, about there being no need for another sequel. And if they do make a fourth one, I will cry. Mainly because I hated the girl the toys ended up with... yes, I know I shouldn't hate a (fictional) little girl, but she was just so annoying and nowhere near as perfect as Andy. >_>

I'm already sad enough that they're making a sequel to Finding Nemo. A Toy Story 4 would just put me over the edge. O_O

111 Reviews

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:09 am
rawrafied says...

Snoink wrote:My favorite song was actually the Fixer Upper song. ...everybody but Kristoff, Anna, and Elsa were flat, boring characters. Also, the king and queen win zero points from me for emotionally abusing their daughter to that extent.

'Fixer Upper' has a great concept and musical set-up. Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only reason I don't like it that much because it's getting compared to the other songs of the soundtrack. xD

Really? I thought Kristoff was flat and boring and found Hans much more interesting. That could be me and my love for villains, but I kind of sympathized with him when he told us how his brothers ignored him for a whole year. I'm not surprised he came out how he did.

And yeah, I feel like THIS emulates my thoughts on the parents. xD No wonder Disney usually kills them off. ;P

Lucrezia wrote:I must have no soul, because I disagree. XD Toy Story 3 was a train wreck, in my opinion. It ruined the otherwise glorious series. Now that is an overrated movie if I've ever seen one! Besides for the lovely, tear-jerking ending, the talented voice cast, and the beautiful animation... it was pretty awful, in my opinion.

I don't know. It might be just because I was born in the right generation. I practically grew up with Andy and the movie came out my senior year and the coming-of-age/abandoning-childhood stuff hit me on a personal level.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:12 am
Messenger says...

[]1. Okay, so in the beginning the trolls ask if Elsa was born or cursed with her powers, and her father says she was born with the powers, but--I mean, no one else in the family has them and there's never any like "every seventh generation has a person like this" or anything like that. It's just "Oh, she was born with them," and that's that. I mean, I don't need a whole scientific explanation of why this power exists, but even in Harry Potter, like Muggleborns are a thing and then Squibs are a thing, but in this movie Elsa is literally the only person with anything like this at all and it just bothers me.

2. OKAY, this bugs me way more. Olaf's act of true love should've saved Anna. Like he comes in and starts a fire for her, and she's like, "You need to go or you'll melt and die!" and he plops down next to her and says, "I'm not going anywhere until we figure out another way to save you" and, of course, "Some are worth melting for." That was an act of true friendship love, and since nonromantic love obviously works in this movie, that should've saved her. And I'm mad that it didn't. Like his love is less important or something. And I just can't get over that.[/quote]

wow did you rill two of my own problems. And actually this may shock you, but I found a similar error in Tangled. Rapunzel's mother doesn't get powers at all. But anyway I agree with you on Elsa's power thingy, especially since they ASK. What.In.The.World. Dumbbells! :P

And Olaf's act indeed should have saved Anna. as should have Kristoff rushing her to the castle, giving up his biggest true love. Doesn't that count if a sister hugging does? And for me those were two HUGE things that affected the story.

111 Reviews

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:26 am
rawrafied says...

BlueAfrica wrote:I liked the music, although the opening piece--while awesome and a Capella--seemed more fitting with a Lion King kind of setting than a Frozen kind of setting.

I agree. Vuelie didn't really fit with the story style. It reminded me of 'The Bells of Notre Dame' and 'Circle of Life' too. It's a pretty song, though.

BlueAfrica wrote:I liked the fact that there was a gay character. Which apparently some people have been trying to say it was a WOMAN in the sauna with the children.

Woah, I totally missed that. Gotta go back an watch it. Yeah, and Jonathan Groff is also the first gay 'prince' voice actor.

BlueAfrica wrote:But I'm stuck on some things.

1. Okay, so in the beginning the trolls ask if Elsa was born or cursed with her powers...Elsa is literally the only person with anything like this at all and it just bothers me.

2. OKAY, this bugs me way more. Olaf's act of true love should've saved Anna.

3. Kind of the Hans thing, because if you don't pick up on the gloves then there is literally no hint that he's going to be evil.

1.) Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the origin of her powers not coming into play. Honestly, I actually liked the idea that people were speculating prior to the movie's release where Hans/Wesselton(sp?) (cause we didn't know the villain yet xD) made her appear to have these powers but were controlling it themselves.

2.) I never thought of that. Good observation! Maybe because he didn't melt completely? Where Anna literally gave her life for Elsa? Or maybe it required Anna to demonstrate the act of true love to unthaw? Since Elsa didn't really do anything.

3.) I agree. I love Hans, and he had a good motive to be a sympathetic villain, but I also think they tried too hard to hide that he was the villain that it made his previous motives seem illogical. I've been trying to go back and watch the movie to try and to figure the logic for it. Like, in 'Love Is An Open Door', it's there. The cloak thing makes sense to win the love of the people. But saving Elsa? Maybe because he saw that she was too powerful and had to find another way to kill her?

Random avatar

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:30 am
deleted30 says...

BlueAfrica wrote:I liked the fact that there was a gay character. Which apparently some people have been trying to say it was a WOMAN in the sauna with the children, but, um, if it was then a) she didn't have any mammaries and b) she was shirtless and I really don't see Disney putting a shirtless woman in a sauna? It was a man, guys. Get over it. On that note, it amuses me that all the angry bloggers who think this movie has a "gay agenda" don't even mention this character so I don't understand at all.

The tall blond guy is definitely supposed to be a man, but there's a woman (wearing a towel over her chest) sitting beside him in the sauna. She looks childlike at first, but upon closer inspection, she appears to be an adult. My guess is that she was intended to be the blond guy's wife. :/
Last edited by deleted30 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 am
lostthought says...

They are scared of a gay guy in Frozen but not scared of Hades? Hades is like that gay friend you have. (I found Hercules to be horribly wrong. Isn't Hercules Roman? Plus, Hercules wasn't born a full God. Also, I actually doubt Hercules would be a baby unless he was the God of birth or something.)
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Random avatar

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:52 am
deleted30 says...

[deleted]
Last edited by deleted30 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

111 Reviews

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:55 am
rawrafied says...

lostthought wrote:They are scared of a gay guy in Frozen but not scared of Hades? Hades is like that gay friend you have. (I found Hercules to be horribly wrong. Isn't Hercules Roman? Plus, Hercules wasn't born a full God. Also, I actually doubt Hercules would be a baby unless he was the God of birth or something.)

Well, if we wanna get technical, Hercules also slayed his wife and children after being cursed to see them as monsters. He only went and slayed the Hydra and stuff to bring them back. xD Also, Frozen is even worse at keeping to its source material.

And yeah, Hades was a bit flamboyant. xD I personally haven't heard about the gay guy complaints. But then again, I never heard people complain about Frollo stuff either.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:28 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I adored this movie. I'm on my phone but let me summarise:

1) it's a movie about a princess saving a queen. I have always been fascinated with platonic relationships between women. My novel is about a duchess saving a princess. As with Brave, I was so happy to see this dynamic being explored. Because we get a lot of movies about men's relationships with other men and not nearly enough about women. Major props for that.

2) one of its major themes is isolation and loneliness. A lot of people relate to Elsa but I relate more to Anna. She just wants love and warmth. She falls in love so easily because she is so desperate for any sort of affection. She is naive about Hans, and Elsa, and she gets hurt. And she doesn't feel truly loved for a lot of the movie - the love that saves her is the love she has for someone else. I just imagine her being shut out and alone for all these years and it actually causes me pain. Anna strives to be kind, she's sweet and awkward and she doesn't think much of herself. In original drafts her main conflict was about not veing good enough, always being second best. And both of those themes are sad and touching, and I relate to her massively. I like that it shows an extrovert stuck in her introvert sister's world - again, you generally see things the other way around.

3) I like how there's no backstory about Elsa's powers. They're like a congenital condition. And while her parents maybe don't deal with it the best way, I think it's a great portrayal of parents being overwhelmed by a child's illness

4) the whole soundtrack is beautiful.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

I continue to be a reverse hipster, I only do things after they've ceased being cool
— BluesClues