z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:22 pm
LordZeus says...

I'm gonna say Xenoland by Hardik Desai. I'm sure that most of you have never heard of it, since I believe that it was only published in India., but that's a good thing. Its writing was really weak, and I wanted to throw away the book after the first two chapters, and stomp on it for wasting paper, but I couldn't because unfortunately:
A)It was a library book.
B)Once I start reading a book, I can't quit it. I just have to see it through. I know its weird, and even I don't understand why I forced myself through it.
In any case, when I read it at age ten, my writing was better than the writing in that book. And my writing wasn't very good then. I don't even know how it got published. But I know one thing for sure, that was the worst book I have ever read.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 am
Sujana says...

Wideacre by Phillipa Gregory. It was good in the beginning, intriguing heroine, perfect plot, and then I realized it was a story partly about incest. And then I realized a good portion of Gregory's work is about incest. *cringe*
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:08 pm
Stori says...

"The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and go..." I don't think I'll ever finish that series. It's great writing, but imagine if The Lord of the Rings were strung out over thirteen or fourteen books, with the Fellowship including stubborn women always commenting on the hard-headed ways of the men they love.

Imagine if one of the hobbits were a drunkard and womanizer- yes, I'm looking at you, Mat Cauthon.

You know what? I should write a blog post rather than bore you with the flaws in the Wheel of Time series.

Reviews: 4
Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:12 pm
Keralix says...

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card
High expectations , great disappointment.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

I'm tied between "A Whole New World", which was basically a really s***** "what if" scenario about Aladdin, and "Carry On", which was a romance about a vampire and a wizard.

Usually I'm really into fanfictions and LGBTQIA+-inclusive books, but god almighty those books sucked! Don't ever read any of Rainbow Rowell's books. She's as bad as, if not worse than Twilight......
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

235 Reviews

Reviews: 235
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 am
inktopus says...

Joshua's Song which was a book I had to read my freshman year for an English class. Not only was it not good and boring, but it was clearly meant for a much younger audience. (I learned nothing in the two years I had that teacher for English 1 and English 2)
insert profound quote here

Formerly Stormcloud

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:10 am
View Likes
tgham99 says...

Bringing this allll the way back in 2020 to complain about how much I hate Wuthering Heights. I know it's a classic and supposedly one of the greatest literary works of all time, but this book literally made me want to reconsider being an English major.
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:30 pm
Vex3330 says...

the hate towards LOTR here.
utterly fuming
although I can handle way too much description
worst book ever? probably a court of thorns and roses
it's pretty awfully written lmao

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:17 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I read The Alchemist for class, and I hate it. It’s so dull, and the story drags on and on. The lessons are alright, but the author stays in the same setting when it’s time to get going.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:21 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

Honestly, I don't have much books that I hate. Unless it's a required book, if the book starts getting boring, I just abandon it.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:31 pm
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar. My school was giving out free packets of books one day, and I picked out this one because it actually looked interesting.

I was very wrong.

The writing was bad, the pacing was incredibly slow, and the development between characters wasn’t developed at all.

I feel like the main reason I didn’t like it was that it baited me into thinking its a fantasy book. The description suggests that its a fantasy book, and its even categorized as “urban fantasy,” but it’s actually realistic fiction with fantasy elements only at the end. I don’t really like realistic fiction, and I don’t think this book should’ve been marketed as fantasy.

This book is critically acclaimed, and has even won awards. I can kind of see why, but once again I feel like I wasn’t the target audience and that I was misled.
How dare you make fun of Molly Mcgee?! That’s my job!!

—Scratch, The Ghost and Molly Mcgee

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:52 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

My least favorite book?

A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett too terribly sad and heartbreaking.

Interestingly it has quite a few similarities in plot to my very favorite book "The Small Rain" by Madeline L'Engle (spoiler: both deal with parental death / parental abandonment / boarding schools / evil caretakers) - but whereas the protagonist, Sara, in "A Little Princess" to me feels like she is defeated by her loss and circumstances, and it is only by almost a magical chance that her situation is somewhat redeemed, in "The Small Rain" the protagonist, Katherine, overcomes her life-experiences and loss and parental abandonment by finding herself and and inner strength - not to a fairy tale / unbelievable ending, but a "maybe" hopeful ending created by her own strength and decisiveness to go forward that promises new beginnings.

When I finished reading "A Little Princess" I just wept and wept :'( I still feel really heartbroken about the plot and have to imagine different endings in my mind. But even if like in some of the movie adaptations, the ending was changed to be a little happier, I don't think it can fix all the sadness of the rest of the book.

The only thing I like about "A Little Princess" is that I think in some ways it is a picture of the Gospel - > this was a recent "revelation" that I had (because even though it's been a DECADE since I've read the book, I still think about it a lot) - but if you think about it from a Christian POV - we are like Sara, we have been left in a cruel world, where people will often treat us as if we are not truly children of the (Heavenly) King / Father. And yet deep down, we who have faith, know we are much more than just servants of a cruel caretaker - we are beloved, and valuable, and worthy. The good news of the gospel - is that our God / Heavenly Father, just like Sara's father, never abandoned us, though he seemingly died - but has left an inheritance for us to receive that is more than we could ever imagine (eternal life). ~~~ I like that little interpretation that I've made there, but I still don't like the book. Too sad. Too heartbreaking. Should not be a children's book. :'(
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:47 pm
View Likes
foxmaster says...

I hate the Warriors series: like, the comics are good, but in the books, the author just dro es on, and on, and on... it is BORING and when I actually tried to read it, I only made it to page thirty. And the plot is stupid, to be honest. Like, cats? Come on, at least wolves would have been more realistic.
Eragon is alright, I guess... but the maincharachter is unlikeable a d kind of stupid, in my opinion.
This one book I wrote. The main charachter was a complete know it all, whi could, like, do everything, everyone liked her, but she was sarcastic all the time, and superior and thought she was cool, but whoop! She wasn't I hated her so much I wripped out all the pages I had written on and tore them up and THREW THEM INTO THE RECYCLING FOREVER. :pirate2:

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:56 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

oh no! @foxmaster we have the absolute opposite taste in books I think because Eragon is my 2nd favorite book ever and I absolutely loved the Warrior Cat series in middle school. Oh goodness. xD
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:22 pm
View Likes
foxmaster says...

Well, Eragon is interesting, but the main dude does not stick on me, and I am like halfway through the first book because I am in a slow moment right now.

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob