z

Young Writers Society

Seven Reasons Why Men are Better than Women

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:31 pm
View Likes
DanielRichard says...

Clearly meant as humor, albeit humor that rocks the boat a bit. It successfully made me laugh and the fact that people are commenting so heavily on it, I'd say you accomplished your point.
One reviewer says just the title made her sick, which to me says she took it far too seriously. Guys like to joke about how superior we are to women, and women like to say how they are the better of the sexes as well. It's generally not serious and only meant to laugh about.
While true sexism is nothing to be laughed at, this is only a column meant to poke fun at ANY argument for the superiority of one sex over the other. A woman could write the same thing, and I for one, would take no offense to it. Most people, man or woman, recognize and embrace the differences between men and women and see the balance that is created in a healthy, loving relationship between the two.
"A story is a way to say something that can't be said any other way"
-Flannery O'Connor

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 pm
Ladynagrom says...

This was a very hilarious read! You have very wonderful grammar and sentence structure. I would write more, but I have to go soon.
~Nagrom
"I take a long time in the bathroom. It's what girls do. Excuse me for my gender." - Me to my brother

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:33 am
Warrior Princess says...

I think that a lot of the people who have reviewed this have completely missed the whole idea of the topic. I'm actually rather disappointed in the poor perception exhibited by some of the members of this site, which one would expect to be frequented by the more intelligent percentage of teenagers (small though that percentage may be!). What a lot of them don't seem to realize is that this entire topic is a big, fat JOKE. Please! Read between the lines, people. Actually, it's not even particularly difficult to discern the sarcasm here.

I, for one, would like to applaud you, the author, for having written such a wonderful little satire. It has such sparkling verbal wit and tongue-in-cheek humor, I found myself giggling uncontrollably (especially during the sandwich bit) and making my mother wonder what the heck was going on. The genius of the article (for lack of a better name) is that it takes a serious issue (sexism/the battle of the sexes) and pokes fun at it in a tone that is very self-serious on the surface but subtly mocking in its underlying layers. The pervading theme of men as parasites, and the presentation of that theme in a positive light, was particularly funny. I also found it extremely amusing that some of the poor dears who reviewed this article actually took it literally and got angry and offended at your "sexism," when I think it's quite obvious that by being so blatantly "sexist" with a sophistic, teasing style of reasoning, you are in reality showing that you hold the opposite opinion. It's clear that while you recognize the foibles of both sexes (and slyly make fun of them), you also recognize the ultimate absurdity of gender stereotypes.

Masterfully written, and hilarious to boot. Well done, my friend!

~Warrior Princess
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 am
Adeera says...

dude this is hilarious!! i love it!
The talent of an amazing writer, they can convey any emotion, make you feel thing's you've never felt, and help you understand that which you thought you never would.

"Not all who wander are lost."
Tolkien

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:47 am
TedusCloud says...

Dear Lord that made my day :)

First of all Merry Xmas :)
Secondly this is a pretty well written piece. I like the use of sentence structure, actually I'm rather envious of it :P
I like how concise and scientific every sentence is - it adds to the overall satirical tone.
Overall a brilliant piece of work :)
Pieces of People: 42,044 words. Only 57,956 to go :D

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:07 am
ChiquitaPeroPicosa says...

When I clicked on the post "Seven Reasons Why Men are Better than Women" I knew I was in for some laughs, but this was far better than what I expected. I expected some guy honestly trying to defend why men were better, but instead found a very witty, well written, satire. Personally, I loved it. I thought it was hysterical. It was well thought out as well. Beginning the piece I knew it was poking fun, so I took none of it seriously and found it very amusing. I am a girl and found none of it to be offending, simply entertaining. Don't apologize for being subtle! It will teach people to read the fine print and keep them guessing longer! :) You're piece was not predictable. It was original and an altogether fun read, which as a reader I appreciate not having to read the same tired points. I especially loved that you defended parasites as being a superior thing. Loved it! You did brilliantly.
"You're free to leave me, but just don't deceive me. And please believe me when I say I love you."

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:40 am
Micheley says...

I laughed through the whole thing. Pretty much a little more then amazing (; But this...

We only worry about the important things, like when the next Superbowl is, or politics, or why our woman isn’t in the kitchen where she belongs and why she hasn’t brought us our sandwich yet. Very important, these matters are, especially sandwiches.

So make me my sandwich already, damn it! BLT, with extra-crispy bacon and sesame buns toasted to perfection drizzled in Balsamic vinegar.

... is definitely the best part :D
& maybe it's true
We don't know what we have till we lose it
But maybe it's also true
We don't know what we're missing
Till we [find it]

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)