z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/12/13: YWS'tival Coverage

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm
AlfredSymon says...

The thread you've stumbled into is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is to give out a summary on the happenings of YWS at any given day and special features which tell about the new trends in YWS and current events. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

All members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

If you're an avid reader and want to pitch in or advertise or a concerned YWSer who wants to comment or ask us, then do so in the office at the Reader's Corner down below.

Reader's Corner
Spoiler! :
Submitting Articles
Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. Anyone can post a news article or column as long as the topic is new, fresh, current and about the YWS or writing, art and humanities, is family-friendly and follows YWS rules.

Shameless Plugs
Why not advertise your newly constructed blog, your recent literary submission or your newest thread here at Squills? Just PM AlfredSymon and we can quote your advertisement for you as a shameless plug!

Letters to the Editor
Have any questions, comments or sggestions? Then share them to us please and let it be answer in public for all the readers' ease :D ! Please PM AlfredSymon for any letters for the editor.

Be a regular!
Just contact AlfredSymon if you want to be part of the creative staff!

Creative Staff
Spoiler! :
Technical Adviser: Griffinkeeper

Editor-in-Chief: AlfredSymon
General Correspondent: SparkofDoubt
Literary Correspondent: StellaThomas

Columnist: Clarity
Community Reporter: ShadowVyper
News Reporter: megsug

Comic Artist: Cspr
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

308 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Rhyme and Reason Tuesday
YWS'tivals biggest event yet!

After two days of exchanging points all around the site through various throngs of activities, Tuesday now comes and opens new activities, games and fun through Rhyme and Reason Tuesday! Being run by the Poetry Crew, R & R Tuesday is a celebration of things poetic and appreciating them. Take a look at these major activities:

• Poetry Submissions
  • Poetry Chinese Whispers
  • Poetry challenges and contests
  • Poetry teasers
  • 10:30pm GMT - Rydia - Poetree Games

Join these activities now while they're fresh and very poetic!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Reading to Revel In
As the festival goes on, Stella is hunting down the funnest pieces on YWS...

Today marked an auspicious occasion, my first dig into the poetry section! It didn't disappoint. The Song of The Writer by kayfortnight is a splendid read that encapsulates everything that is special about being a writer, and why we should celebrate it! Even as a prosaic soul, I loved this poem. What's even better is that it has no reviews yet, so you could be the first!

The second is an intriguing novel by AwesomeSauce, Do You Believe in Whales? I certainly do, and behind this fascinating question lies a superbly written story. What's better is that it's just been updated, and you won't have to wait around for Chapter Two!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am
Shady says...

New Arrivals

InvertedClock is jumping right into the action. They've already written several lovely reviews as well as posting a few poems which you can find here and http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=99745.

ANwesha01 has also written reviews, as well as posted a lovely poem, which you can read here.

TaylahStyles hasn't had a chance to post anything yet, but I'm sure that with a bit of encouragement, she'll open right up.

pinkrose is a writer of prose, and has posted a wonderful short story that you can find here, as well as helped someone else out with a review.

argurnafrom hasn't had a chance to post anything yet, but I'm sure she will after she meets a few friendly members.

RedApril29th has already posted reviews to many different works. She's posted the first chapter of her novel, but hasn't gotten any reviews back. Go help her out!

Ghost hasn't had a chance to post anything yet, but I'm sure once he gets to know people, he'll give us some lovely works to read.

trinachowdhury hasn't had a chance to post anything to the site yet, but did supply a link to her website. She's multilingual, and good at organizing and editing.

BlackNether12 has posted the prologue to his work here, but his profile page is, sadly, barren.

vigoare is our newest member. He hasn't had a chance to post anything yet, but I'm sure he will once he makes some friends.

None of the members chose to post in the Welcome Mat, but you can go to their walls and give them proper YWS welcomes.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

308 Reviews

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am
AlfredSymon says...

Share the Love
This month of love, hear tips and experiences from our own YWS writers about writing romance and, well, love itself!

Good evening everybody (morning to those who're in a different time zone)! Here we are in Squills' newest featurette, Share the Love, wherein we can hear from our own YWS writers about the month of hearts!

It's Rhyme and Reason Tuesday today! Let's celebrate with a very poetic interview with LouisCypher!

AlfredSymon: Hello loud and lucid Louis! It's Rhyme and Reason Tuesday to day, so let me hit you up with a Share the Love! :D
LouisCypher: Oerr. I suppose I'm honored!

Alf: First of all, about the festival. Do you think it's great to have a Poetry centered day today?
Louis: Absolutely! Poetry is definitely a big part of YWS. It's great there's a day focused on promoting it.

Alf: On the title now. How did you first perceive 'Rhyme and reason'?
Louis: Well considering I had no idea it existed up to a few minutes ago... let's say it was a positive perception!

Alf: Well, what first popped in your mind as you have read it?
Louis: It certainly sounds like an exciting events! I can only imagine what the Poetry Crew have in store for us...

Alf: Ooooh. What do you have in mind, if you would tell? What activities would you think is best?
Louis: Iiiii have half a mind to kick back and watch the madness unfold. Hmm, activities. I couldn't say! Knowing the Poetry Crew it'll be something crazy. I mean awesome. Crazy awesome? //cackle

Alf: Hahaha! Well, I think the poetry crew will be craazy, too!
On another topic, have you enjoyed your overall experience with the festival?

Louis: Oh, that's a fact.
xD I have nothing to complain about! I was in chat when the flash fiction event was up and it was pretty awesome.

Alf: Wow! Could you share us your experience with it?
Louis: There really isn't a lot to share, as I didn't participate! But I did review most of the other's work.

Alf: Is it a fun game and all? Who handled it? What did you write about?
Louis: //cackle the lovely Pulchra, Cadej and Jabsy handled it.
That might not be English but oh well. I just woke up. ;D

Alf: Okay, I got the other two, but who's Pulchra?
Louis: Rydia! It's a long story.

Alf: hahaha! I wish I could hear all about it, but our time ends now! Awww!
Any last words about the festival?

Louis: I don't really have any! It was a pleasure being interviewed though.
Alf: Hahaha! Okay then, Louis! Once again, a big thanks from us all
Farewell for now!

LouisYup! Bye!

With a farewell our show comes to a close today. Had fun, too? Why not share them with us? Send us a Letter now! :D

Wait for more of Share the Love at this week's Squills!

308 Reviews

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm
AlfredSymon says...

V-Day Contest Results Already Out

Six weeks ago, Elinor Brynn invited all members of YWS to join the official Valentine's Day Contest. Today, Elinor just posted the results of the contest! Here are the winners:

Poetry Division
Honorable Mention --> Niteowl
Third --> Kyllorac
Second --> TwistedMuffins
First -- > indieeloise

Short Story Division
Honorable Mention --> austynpotyok
Third --> Hannah
Second --> DarkPandemonium
First -- > beckiw

Congratulations to all winners!

The panel of judges include Rydia, Kafkaescence, Audy, GeeLyria and contest head, once again, is Elinor Brynn. For more information about the contest and prizes, please visit the official results page.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)