z

Young Writers Society

Squills 5/31/21 - 06/06/21

Reviews: 0
Mon May 31, 2021 8:25 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
Spearmint

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm
IcyFlame
ChesTacos

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
ScarlettFire
Clairia
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: MAILICEDENAMEDY
written by Liebensteiner < PM: >

One of our latest featured members has been a wonderful reviewer ever since they joined on the 25th of January this year, with a total of 313 super helpful reviews (which means a full set of yellow stars) under her belt. In June, she plans on going for Team Tortoise, as well as reviewing more poetry! And oh my gosh, look at her friendliness:

I hope many more will try to participate. After all, it's more fun together than alone. :)

I think you could call that true dedication to reviewing, honestly. That’s right - on May 5th, the one and only @MailicedeNamedy was chosen as the featured member!

Squills: Heya! I'm a reporter for Squills and was wondering if you're okay with being interviewed about your experiences as FM? :)

MailicedeNamedy: I have no problem with that.

S: How did you feel when you found out you were the FM?

M: I was surprised at first. As with most (positive) surprises, I didn´t believe it at the beginning and needed some minutes to realise it. :shock: I was really excited because I hadn´t expected it. It definitely lifted my mood that day when I saw how many people congratulated me. :D

S: Aw, that's awesome! What do you think was the reason behind you becoming FM?

M: I think it has something to do with the fact that I write so many reviews and I haven´t been here on YWS that long.

S: Nice guess! And speaking of reviews, you've done many since your arrival to the site. How do you keep it up? Do you have tips for the people who aspire to be great reviewers too one day?

M: Yes, there are many reviews. :shock: I don't believe myself that I have written so many. But I read a lot, sometimes too much.
I think I have so much time because I recently moved to my sister and I'm on the road for 2 hours a day to work (and two hours back). When I'm not lost in a book or playing video games, I'm reading something and then writing reviews.

It's hard to give a tip when I can't relate myself to what makes my reviews good/bad for the writers. I think the important thing is to read between the lines and try to discern what the writer is trying to tell you. You shouldn't rely too much on grammar and mistakes as everyone makes mistakes at times.

I think it can be important to focus not only on what someone can improve on, but what someone is already doing well so that the writer can continue writing with motivation and also see for themselves, "I can improve on that." when they see that there are sections that need a bit polishing. I think ultimately what I want to do with a review is to say thank you to the writers for writing and putting their imagination to paper so that they can continue to write and thereby improve on their own.

As a summary: Reviewers are supposed to help writers find their own style. :)

S: Yeah! I would definitely agree. I think I already know the answer, but I want to hear it from you, so what's your favorite part about reviewing in general?

M: I guess my favourite part of reviewing is when I see a writer improve after some stories/chapters. That´s where I see motivation and passion coming out of the writer and that makes my day. :D

S: Aw, I agree, that's great! Do you have any other favorite parts of the site?

M: I like that YWS feels like a kind of club. It's not just a site where someone can show off their stories/poems and remain anonymous for the rest of the time but it's a small community where you have to be active.

There are still some aspects I need to try out (like the storybook; that looks like fun) but I can say that I really like this ´literary social media´ aspect. :D

S: Aww yes I would agree 100%! <3 If someone were to come up to you and ask you about how they should become FM, what would be your answer?

M: Tough question. Probably something like:

Be nice, be active, show your joy through words in any means. :D

S: Fantastic! Before I end this interview, do you have any shoutouts or anything else you'd like to say?

M: Shoutouts to everyone who is here on YWS. I think that's what makes this site so special. :D

Apart from that, I can't think of anything else now. The interview was a lot of fun. :)

If you’d like to check out the announcement thread, here’s where you can check that out. Thanks once again and congrats, Mailice!

Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: DIAPHANOUS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Pronunciation: dye-ah-fen-us

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: 1. characterized by such fineness of texture as to permit seeing through
2. characterized by extreme delicacy of form; ETHEREAL

Synonyms: gossamer, sheer, transparent, ethereal

Origin: Medieval Latin diafanus, diaphanus, borrowed from Greek diaphanḗs "transparent, manifest, conspicuous”

Used in a Sentence: The diaphanous tulle of her dress shimmered as the light beamed down from the sky.

Mon May 31, 2021 8:33 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COMPLETE THE STORY
written by Liebensteiner < PM: >

Hello!

This new column is based off of the actual book called Complete The Story: Revised Edition. It has really interesting prompts on every page that you can use to start off any story you’d like. I thought it was definitely worth sharing, so here we are!

Please note that none of these prompts are made by me, they’re all thanks to Piccadilly . :)

Here’s how this is going to go. I’m going to randomly take out a prompt from the book and mention it here. Our prompt for this week is mentioned below. It usually takes at least a week or a week and a half for the next issue of Squills to come out, sometimes a bit longer, and if it does take longer, then consider yourself lucky, because then you’ll have extra time to complete your story with the prompt provided. If you do complete the story, you can PM it to me here and I’ll feature it in the next issue! <3

This week’s prompt:

It was that fleeting hour of day when the moon and sun are high and bright at the same time. Like many things in my life, these summer nights wouldn’t last much longer. I sat quietly on a...

Adiós and good luck! ✧

Mon May 31, 2021 9:42 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by IcyFlame< PM: >

Take a moment to welcome May's newest members to the site!

@TheWarriorMingan has already completed 9 reviews and earned their first review star. If you're a fan of Batman, the first three chapters of their novel Forever are posted on the site! Check out Chapter One here.

@TheWordsOfWolf has completed 18 reviews and posted some wonderful poetry. Check out To The Rising Sun if you like poetry!

@AnonymousRiceBall hasn't posted much in the way of works or reviews yet, but they're certainly a positive presence on the site. Don't forget to swing by and say hey!

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@lg@Knightdealer@name123@ItzMehAhri@Adoycey@Nightk@MarkuzEdwardz@goodhooman@Kat_Austen@Ozma85@theoutsidersfan6@CelestialDuck@Darkheart4life@mish8create@MidnightRaven01@alberttrebla123@Emrald20034@StarBerry@red_writer@mdbg_@qwestyue@ramenaissance@Wingit@Amrathanshu@Timour_LL@Barryshume@LiviK@slubbs24@JaequazaTube@Swaggerb0y1223 • @wrectabzotun16 • @MatthewUrila@Ravish_08@TheFallenOne@CaerulemSanquinem @LizzAndTheNifflers@Falsettoland8@JdoggyGirl@Ruthie4u • @Boxxse70 • @Devansh125@pandemanoque@Fullsunnn@pxrsonaaa@TanxTris@Gerandott@R3b3cca@Phlonix@AngelicArianna@tsukiyo@Kanine2006@lillilu@SheReady • @Marcoues90w • @FreehandConstellations@CatVI@stacymevoli@TheArtisticDragon@creamorings@_sxhxni_ • @Yvonneen • @writtenbybella@Alvinfak • @WrenZorya • @analienn@Writersloth88@LilliEllaAnnaBella@cassidy3@ThePlatinumFlamingo@Tankie@psychotically@calliopewriting@celandine@AvaJane@thelastshootingstar@okaybutnowwhat@MAWilliams@CorvinPr@Zycoptl00@medienanh@Bballgirl32@Athena07@alspence7@Annabell@Smileysmileyface@hayisa@unicornchriz111@Marztothemoon@caseykay@JustHereToRead@TheRescueProject@sguntuku@pcwriting_1@1dratherbewriting@unquantifiable@ryqinnss@ShimoKiba@wegenerme18@JohnKlue@Dhea011@emmybeth629@Reynadame@Shreyak@jorken

Mon May 31, 2021 9:44 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

The Great Tortoise Race of 2021

more information here !

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon May 31, 2021 9:47 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer • @ QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liebensteiner • @Vulcanite • @AtlasWut • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @Yoshikrab • @MomoMajesty • @rida • @hannah0528

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon