z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/4/21 - 4/25/21

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
EditorAndPerks

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm
IcyFlame
ChesTacos

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
ScarlettFire
Clairia
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:10 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: SPEARMINT
written by Liebensteiner < PM: >

Our latest featured member is one of YWS’ decently new members! @Spearmint joined just a month and a couple of days ago, and already has two review stars under her belt with a solid forty-three reviews. Even a poem of hers, The Other Side is top ten on the overall Literary Spotlight for February 2021 . She’s even in the Victorian Dives Storybook that you’ve probably heard about somewhere on the site. Another super cool thing about Spearmint is that she’s most likely to be seen in any open Writerfeed Pad, so you’re likely to have had a friendly chat with her. :)

Squills: Hello! <3 I'm a reporter for Squills and was wondering if you were interested in getting interviewed about your FM experiences? :)

Spearmint: Sure! C: As long as being funny isn't required… :P

Sq: Ahaha, it can involve whatever you want it to involve! xD What was your first reaction when you found out you had become featured member?

Sp: Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm being completely unoriginal here, but I was surprised and excited! I'd only been at YWS for a month (did I set some kind of record? XD) so it was super cool to already have my ~moment of fame~ on YWS's homepage. ^-^

Sq: Ah that must have definitely hyped you up an insane amount! :) Why do you think you were chosen though?

Sp: Hmm... probably because of my spamming of exclamation marks, and my obsession with YWS hehe ^^ I've also been reviewing a lot and being pretty active on the site, so that likely helped!

Sq: Yes, I would definitely agree with you! You've been superb around YWS. Do you have a favorite part of YWS? Or what's your favorite thing about the site?

Sp: That's a tough one; everything about YWS is awesome! But my absolute favorite parts are the roleplaying section, and hanging out in pads with other amazing ywsers C:

Sq: Ooh, nice! What about roleplaying do you enjoy?

Sp: It's super cool to be able to write about your own character interacting with other people's, because you never know what you might come up with together. Roleplaying is a fun and excellent way to exercise your creativity, and to get better at writing too!

Sq: That sounds incredible! You mentioned liking hanging out in pads - what's so good about that?

Sp: Ah well everything, basically! ^-^ (oh except for pad jumps XD but I don't really mind those C:) It's really nice hanging out with other ywsers and giving each other encouragement as we work on whatever we have to do, or just talking in the chat. :]

Sq: Aw, yeah, I agree! <3 If someone were to come to you and ask you what they should do to become FM, what advice would you give them?

Sp: Be the awesomest you that you can be, whether that means giving thoughtful reviews, writing unique stories, or bringing lots of smiles to other ywsers! Make this wonderful place even better by being the most amazing person you can. <333

Sq: Aww, that's sweet! <3 Lastly, do you have anything else you'd like to say, or any shout-outs to make before I wrap up this interview?

Sp: Ahh I'm sure I'm going to forget some people and I'm so sorry if that's you, but I'd love to shout out some amazing people here on YWS!! @Liebensteiner for interviewing me (you're a marvelous journalist!), @starlitmind and @Euphoria8 for spreading so much joy and encouragement around this site, @MapleWay for collabing with me and for being an awesome person in general (with an excellent sense of humor too!), @ChesTacos for being the greatest taco ever, @queenshadowgem for being an absolutely wonderful mom-friend and YWS sister, @LadyMysterio for being a super cool person, @Liminality for being a fantastic bot and poet, @Magebird for welcoming so many people and being an amazing writer, @alliyah for getting us all hyped up for NaPo (yay poetry!), @whatchamacallit for also being a terrific poetry mod, @TheScribe for starting the fantastic roleplay Victorian Dives (which I am super excited for), @AceassinOfTheMoon for recreating the academy from said roleplay in the Sims (it looks outstanding), and... oh gosh this got super long. XD Okay so I'll just end with saying that each and every one of you here on YWS are extraordinary and I feel so incredibly fortunate to have found this place. <33333333

Sq: That's wonderful, thank you! <3 I enjoyed doing this interview with you, and congratulations once again on FM! :)

Sp: Thank you too!! Have a great day/night! ^-^ <3

If you’d like to check out the announcement thread, here’s a link for that. And if you haven’t already, make sure to stop by her wall to congratulate her. Thanks once again and congratulations, Spearmint!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FASHION IN THE FORUMS: APRIL 2021

written by alliyah < PM: >

Once in a while I bring your attention to the latest trends that are taking off in the aesthetic or avatar departments on YWS. Please refer to Who Wore it Best: RevMo 2020 , Who Wore It Best: RevMo 2019 , and Who Wore It Best: December Profiles for past-season trends.

There are two new trends that are sweeping the people tab these days though! We've got JAM and we've got SHINY LIGHTS. I'll break down those style specs below for you.

In March, the count-down for NaPo began with a lot of hype about jam! Sources have not been able to confirm whether the jam hype was connected to the aptly named Poetry Jam club that usually gets more active around NaPo or if there was just an uptake in interest over fruit-preserves at this time that coincided with the sweet hype for NaPo. Along with a special jammy count-down, jam-gifs, a #Jammified hashtag, and Pre-NaPo information threads that seemed to be suspiciously jammy, there were also a lot of Jam avatars floating around the site! These were eventually rebranded by @rida to "Jamatars" and took many different forms!

Here's a few of those jamatars below from a group photo in late March -
(Pictured: @ Liminality, rida, @Yoshikrab, @MapleWay, @Spearmint, @starlitmind, @Euphoria8, @whatchamacallit, @ChesTacos, @Charm, @ImaginativeAlice, @alliyah , not pictured but also sporting a jamatar was @queenshadowgem)

As NaPo has begun this trend lost some steam and a few users swapped back to their typical aesthetics. Other users have kept up the look or even expanded it to their entire profile like whatchamacallit who now has a very cheery strawberry background on her profile. While the Poetry Jam trend is certainly on the rise, only time will tell if #jammified will still be in fashion in a few weeks. I vote yes though!

The other trend I want to spend a moment on is the SHINY LIGHT avatar trend that has been lighting up the People Tab. So the word on the street from our lead style detectives is that the trend started when @SilverNight and Starlitmind were paired up as NaPo buddies! Silver already sported a very name-fitting lighted moon for their avvie, and starlitmind when paired up with Silver decided to follow-suit with a charming star-light avvie which was equally name-fitting!

Since then quite a few other users have taken their own spin with this trend! Check out the results below!

This is a pretty nice trend that allows for individual expression while still creating a cohesive group-aesthetic! I definitely recommend trying it out if you're looking for something new to try out on your avvie this April.

Other trends and fashion notes that our style-experts didn't have time to research this week but are nonetheless worthy of mention: nanaveer / carinana / arcnana has made some radical shifts to... an orange look! Definitely watch out for that, it seems yellow is out and orange is in! For more information on that topic your best bet would be to consult with @Carina, @veeren, or @ShadowVyper. Also many Loki avatars have been popping up as well as something mysterious called #pinkroyalty associated with the color pink, but more is still being found out about this trend. Currently @Euphoria8 and @Ignorance and @TheScribe seem to be in support of it.

That's all for now folks!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: SAGACIOUS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Pronunciation: suh-gae-shus

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: adj. having or showing keen mental discernment and good judgment; shrewd

Synonyms: wise, clever, intelligent, knowledgeable

Origin: early 17th century: from Latin sagax, sagac- ‘wise’ + -ious.

Used in a Sentence: My mentor is a well-regarded person; many see him as very sagacious because of his clever advice and guidance.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

~~~

Hi YWS !! A quick update on our project from your COOP: chickens of our poetry editor team: fortis & alliyah have been drafting things up and are so excited to get the final copy out soon! In the mean time, did you know we have a website you can check out: coopzine official website .

You can also follow COOP: chickens of our poetry over on twitter (@COOPZine), tumblr, & instagram for all of your chicken poetry & art hype! We'll be promoting our zine over on all the socials once it's out, so you can help us by following if you'd like! :) We are so thankful for all the writers and artists who have contributed to this project and think you're going to love the final product.

Until then, don't count your eggs before they hatch! Stay chickeny! :smt117

~~~

Sign up to be paired up with an encouragement buddy during National Poetry Writing Month! Sign up ends April 1.

More information here .

~~~

Is your most favorite pen in the world not letting ink out? Do some of your precious markers seem to have dried out? No worries! The YWS Pen-fixer can help!

PM @LordMomo with any questions.

~~~

Poetry Readers

The Poetry Readers
is new and improved!
Want to read lots of poetry?
Well then this is your groove!

That's right! A re-vamped Poetry Readers club is coming to YWSes near you this February! We'll still be discussing poems like before, but with a couple of *snazzy* twists. Instead of holding discussions in the club forum, we'll be meeting in a WriterFeedPad at the end of every month to discuss the poem together - in real time! And we won't just be discussing the poems of "famous" poets, we'll be discussing YWSer poems too. If that sounds like fun to you (trust me, it is!!), then subscribe to our club, and stay tuned for more information!

Contact Liminality and whatchamacallit for more information.

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer • @ QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liebensteiner • @Vulcanite • @AtlasWut • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @Yoshikrab • @MomoMajesty • @rida • @hannah0528

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables