z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/21/21 - 2/28/21

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:04 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
EditorAndPerks

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm
IcyFlame
ChesTacos

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
ScarlettFire
Clairia
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

JANUARY REVIEW DAY REVIEW

written by alliyah < PM: >

January had a Review Day that was ripe for the record books! The mod staff decided to take an extra spin on the classic review day and make it an Among Us themed day. We've had themed review days in the past (like the Harry Potter one, the Pokémon-Go one, and a few others) but this one was neat in that we had a lot of lead-up for anticipating the review day because we announced the theme a couple weeks prior to it happening.

Especially exciting about this review day, is that users were encouraged to change their avatars to be Among Us themed. @SpiritedWolfe, @Liminality and @Magebird even opened up a thread to facilitate and it was awesome seeing so many people get involved! As a side note, Dark Cyan seemed to be a particularly popular choice among the avatars.

I tried to collect all the Among Us avvies I saw being used around the site and arranged them below:

For the actual review day, reviewers were separated into two teams. On one side you had the impostors and on the other the crewmates. We had some all-star reviewers leading up the teams, with @Yoshikrab leading Impostors and @SilverNight leading up crewmates! Members really showed up for the festivities and 48 reviewers participated writing 222 reviews total! Reviewers were able to clear the Green Room which was rebranded as the Lime Room for the day and was quite a feat in itself. Interesting both teams ended up in an epic tie by the time the dust cleared with 107 reviews each. The Impostors team was ultimately declared the winner gaining about 1000 points more than Crewmates. Overall January was our second best review month in the last 12 months (the top one being RevMo in September) so it was a pretty impressive month, we even had 6 people win Team Tortoise (congrats @HarryHardy, SilverNight, @Plume, @starlitmind, SpiritedWolfe, and @whatchamacallit !)

Apart from the amazing review day, other contributing factors may have been the January Reviewing Challenge, SpiritedWolfe's awesome Review Task list, 21in21 and also people trying to set-off their New Year Review-Resolutions on a good note! If January is any indication for the rest of the year though, 2021 might be a very strong reviewing year! :) Congratulations to everyone who contributed to the Review Day or just hung out in the Among Us mayhem! I hope you join us for our next Review Day! If you want to read more about this Review Day's Statistics you can check them out here .

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POP CULTURE CORNER: JOHN FOGERTY'S CENTERFIELD

Written by CaptainJack < PM: >

For this week, as I'm making my active return to Squills, I've decided to write about one of my favorite albums of all time. I believe I've written about and mentioned some of the tracks in a previous article, but I've never approached the entire album as a cohesive piece. Centerfield is an album that screams Americana and perhaps that's something we should be thinking about with the current state of American politics.

Perhaps the most political song on this album is the fourth track of Side One which is titled "I Saw It On T.V.". In this song, the narrator explains everything that he saw on TV over the years, starting with the cartoons in his childhood and then witnessing all of the news reports of the Vietnam War and Cold War Era. Fogerty's references to tragic events such as the assassination of President John F. Kennedy are less than subtle. While Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" has a much catchier pattern of remembrance, this song has all of the same fury over American history and politics.

There were several big hits to come off of this record including the first track, "The Old Man Down The Road", which is regarded as quintessential Fogerty style swamp rock. Music that is described as "swamp music" usually originates within Louisiana or Texas with the unique mixture of influences that come from the region. As compared to the music of the Mississippi Delta, swamp pop/rock does not get quite as much attention during the current revival interest. As the joint effort of rockabilly and New Orleans R&B this is certainly a genre that deserves more listeners.

Another point of interest in this album also comes from Side One with track three - a cover of "Big Train (From Memphis)". This bluegrass styled song was made most popular by members of the Class of 55 (stay tuned for an article on this) after Fogerty wrote it for this album. I think every great country musician has to write a train song at some point in their career and this is his train song. It hasn't yet fallen into the standard lineup of country songs that are covered by modern popular artists, but it also shouldn't be skimmed over.
To learn more about the Class of '55 version of this song, I would strongly recommend watching this short documentary clip introduced by Dick Clark. Spend 6 minutes of your time learning about the history of country music .

The last song on this album worthy of its own paragraph is track 2 from Side Two and it is in fact the title track "Centerfield". In addition to the general track below, you can click here to access the music video. It is a slightly unorthodox music video that is just a collection of baseball cards and footage from games with the track overlaid on it, as if Fogerty is narrating their actions. Definitely a very enjoyable way to consume the song while witnessing another remembrance of history that occurred with this album.

Enjoy this issue's recommendation and I'll be back again soon with another album worthy of your time.

Side One

Track 1 - The Old Man Down The Road
Track 2 - Rock and Roll Girls
Track 3 - Big Train (From Memphis)
Track 4 - I Saw It On T.V.
Track 5 - Mr. Greed

Side Two

Track 1 - Searchlight
Track 2 - Centerfield
Track 3 - I Can't Help Myself
Track 4 - Zanz/Vanz Kant Dant

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: RIPOSTE
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Pronunciation: reh-post

Part of Speech: noun, verb

Definition: n. a quick, clever reply to an insult or criticism.

v. make a quick, clever reply to an insult or criticism.

(fencing) v. make a quick return thrust

Synonyms: retort, counter, return, retaliation

Origin: early 18th century: from French risposte (noun), risposter (verb), from Italian risposta ‘response’.

Used in a Sentence: The boy was jealous at the girl’s skill with magic spells. His jealousy manifested itself into name-calling. But whenever he called the girl a name, she just and gave a witty riposte.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOME SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS

Written by CaptainJack < PM: >

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW
written by Liebensteiner < PM: >

This is a bit belated, but a while ago, on the 17th of January, our very own @spunkykitty was Featured Member! It had only been four months of her activity on YWS, and she had already made a corner for herself on the site by reviewing excessively and being a whole lot of help for the Knights of the Green Room . She was even super active in the Randomosity section of the site!

Sq: Heya! I'm a reporter for Squills and I was wondering if you were cool with me interviewing you about your experience as FM?

Sp: I'd be down with that!

Sq: Awesome! Firstly, what was your first reaction when you found out you were the newest FM of YWS?

Sp: I danced around the room for a couple minutes to be honest XD. I completely made my day.

Sq: Aw, that's wonderful! How do you think the High Court™ chooses the featured members?

Sp: Hmm, this is a mystery I have often pondered. Probably they choose based off of overall usage of uppercase letters and exclamations.

Sq: Ahaha, nice! Do you think that's what you did to get the FM title? - uppercase letters and exclamations?

Sp: Oh yes, one hundred percent. I mean, it might have helped that I'm a pretty active user.

Sq: Yeah, I think that could be a reason! Is there a specific part of the site that you enjoy being around?

Sp: WFPs. I absolutely love procrastinating on those with other awesome writers.

Sq: Ahaha sounds fun! xD Alrighty, is there anything else you'd like to say or any shout-outs, etc?

Sp: I'd like to give a shout-out to @starlitmind. Star is so sweet and awesome and makes me really happy. (also thanks for being the first person to welcome me here! :) )

@LadyMysterio also. Thanks for being there for me <3

@ChesTacos too, I guess. He's cool XD

@LordMomo @Carina and @BluesClues for #classified

And a very big shout-out to all my very favorite Spunky-wall-spammers! @ChesTacos @hannah0528 and @rida

Sq: Fantastic! Thanks for taking time out to do this interview! <3

Sp: Of course Lib! <3

Here’s the announcement thread if you’d like to check it out! <3

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

~~~

Is your most favorite pen in the world not letting ink out? Do some of your precious markers seem to have dried out? No worries! The YWS Pen-fixer can help!

PM @LordMomo with any questions.

~~~

Poetry Readers

The Poetry Readers
is new and improved!
Want to read lots of poetry?
Well then this is your groove!

That's right! A re-vamped Poetry Readers club is coming to YWSes near you this February! We'll still be discussing poems like before, but with a couple of *snazzy* twists. Instead of holding discussions in the club forum, we'll be meeting in a WriterFeedPad at the end of every month to discuss the poem together - in real time! And we won't just be discussing the poems of "famous" poets, we'll be discussing YWSer poems too. If that sounds like fun to you (trust me, it is!!), then subscribe to our club, and stay tuned for more information!

Contact Liminality and whatchamacallit for more information.

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @ Liebensteiner • @Vulcanite • @AtlasWut • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @Yoshikrab • @LordMom • @rida • @hannah0528

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey