z

Young Writers Society

Squills 1/3/21 - 1/31/21

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:48 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
EditorAndPerks

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm
IcyFlame

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
ScarlettFire
Clairia
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: LILLIANNA
written by Liebensteiner < PM: >

This featured member interview article is quite belated, so I feel like giving the dates of when this featured member became FM would be nice. :) On the thirty-first of December, our very own @lillianna became the featured member! She’s super active in the People’s tab, has lots of fun in the Randomosity forums and reviews many of the works around the site~

Anyway, I got the honors of interviewing her for the latest Squills issue!

S: Heya lillianna! I'm a reporter for Squills and was wondering if you're okay with me interviewing you about you becoming an FM?

l: yes of course! i’d be more than happy to.

S: Great! To start off with the most important question of all, did you expect that you would be the latest FM?

l: absolutely not haha! i saw featured members come and go for a year, and i never thought that someone would think that i made a big enough influence on this site to even consider me for featured member.

S: Must have been a surprise then! But... Did you suspect anything when you saw the Harry Styles gif?

l: yes, that gave it away just a tiny bit XD. but it fits perfectly!

S: I can imagine! :P What do you think earned you FM?

l: i think i recently started being more active within other sections of the site, like reviewing and poetry, obviously. i try to keep my wall positive and i just try to have fun. these things might be part of it, or at least i hope so!

S: I would agree! You mentioned reviewing and poetry - which one would you say you like better, and why?

l: definitely the poetry part. writing poetry is a great way for me to channel my emotions and write down my thoughts because i hate journaling lol. it’s one of my favourite art forms!

S: Ooh, nice! What's your favorite part of the site?

l: it has it the people’s tab! that’s where i spend most of my time and i love talking to all my friends and posting random stuff all the time.

S: Awesome! What's your advice for people who want to become FM one day?

l: venture into new parts of the site! always be checking out a new forum, new kind of writing, or starting new hashtags. make a positive impact overall. :D

S: Sweet! Any last words before I end this interview? :)

l: i want to say a huge thank you to everyone on this site. you guys are so amazing and i can’t even begin to say how much i appreciate y’all! a few shoutouts:
@NastyMajesty: dude you’re actually the best. thanks for listening to my rants and being a weirdo with me in the pads and on the peoples tabs. <333 POG
@Icon and @LZPianoGirl: y’all are cool, i guess. pretty awesome moms sometimes too.
@LadyMysterio: thanks for sharing my love of harry styles with me hehe.
@LordMomo, @Vil, and @Vulcanite: thank you guys for always being so positive and fun to talk to!
@Magebird: for being there since day one, thank you!
and thanks to you of course, Liebensteiner!
one last thank you to everyone for putting up with my wall posts and reading my poetry! sending much love.
might as well sneak this in here for @veeren:
🍌🍌🍌

Thanks so much for your time, lillianna, and congratulations once again! <3

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

YWS MYSTERIES: EVIL POTATO

written by alliyah < PM: >

While you'll normally find my investigative reporting delving into the mysteries of classified, this week, I decided to open up a new mystery and get some information regarding a kidnapping that has been sweeping the People Tab. You may have heard about the problem a few weeks ago, but it seems that @starlitmind has somehow "lost" her potato, or as some think, had it stolen !! There's even a club dedicated to trying to find star's lost potato find star's POTATO! . Detective @NastyMajesty created a poster to aid their search efforts (shown below)

This lack week though, seems got quite a bit more complicated. The antagonist to this whole mystery "evil potato" (often seen in Write-ins stirring up trouble) seemed to have created an actual YWS account @EvilPotato, which was later claimed by Kendall (username: @Vil). Evil Potato's account description says this, "This is the account for Evil Potato, the potato that kidnapped star's special potato." I decided to take my investigations to the source, and interview Kendall on this matter.

alliyah: How did you get involved with the search for star's missing potato?

Kendall: Well, you see... that's a bit of a secret that I cannot divulge the entirety of. I can, however, confirm that I am EvilPotato.

a: Who exactly is "evil potato" and what is your connection?

K: EP is me, and I am EP. Despite EP's faults, they truly want to make YWS a better place, and one of the ways they do that is by donating points to users that sometimes struggle with reviews. EP/I had this idea that people who received reviews might actually pick something up and find ways to write better, longer, or more regular reviews.

a: Can you give some insight into the list of demands you made regarding the evil potato?

K: Hehe... Yes, the list of demands... The first was a demand for 500 points-- these have since been donated to various users that may struggle with reviewing. Hot chocolate is a given-- I'm in the South, it's cold, and I want a hot drink that isn't tea or coffee. As for the reviews that I have demanded from star... Well, that has it's own little separate history. Back before I finished America Gone, star had become a regular reviewer, but then suddenly she disappeared! I would love to know what she thinks of the final chapters (assuming she gets there on time, of course c:).

a: If I'm understanding correctly ... you actually have star's potato? Do you plan to return it?

K: I do have star's potato, yes! I will return it, so long as my demands are met by Sunday, January 24, 2021 at Midnight Central Standard Time. If not... well, @Hkumar and I will be frying potato chips!

a: is there anything else you'd like to add about the potato dissapearance?

K: I'd like to thank star for letting me kidnap her potato, I'd like to thank @Stringbean for helping me keep my secret, and I'd like to thank you and the folks at squills for keeping everyone up to date on the goings-on of YWS! c:

a: Is there any connection between classified and this new potato scheme?

* and at that last question our phone reception was lost, and I was unable to complete the interview *

Well, without a chance to finish my interview with Kendall, I decided to reach out to the potato owner herself, starlitmind. She was a little overcome with the day's potato events when I reached out in a write-in.

a: Star, would you like to make a statement regarding the search for your lost potato?

starlitmind: WELL i would love to say thank you to everyone who has been helping me find my precious potato! During these very troubling times, @SpunkyKitty, @Liminality, @LadyMysterio, @LordMomo, @luminescence, NastyMajesty, and @Euphoria8 have been very wonderful in the search for potato, and i appreciate them very much.
OH AND I SHOULD PROB apologize to @BluesClues and classified who i thought had taken potato 0.0

a: and is there any message you'd like to send to your potato, in case they are reading this article?

s: Potato, if you're reading this, i want to let you know that your room is waiting for somebody to fill it in once more <3

The Squills office staff and reporting team are all hoping star get's her potato back very soon. Friends, I'll leave you to determine yourself whether classified is involved with the current shennanigans. But several things are clear based on the facts available. Star's potato is in danger. And there is much mystery involved. Stay vigilant, and if you have any sightings of star's potato, you can share tips over at their search club here . And please stop by my Squills Author Corner if you have a new YWS mystery you'd like me to investigate.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: CAPRICIOUS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Pronunciation: kuh-prih-shuhs

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

Synonyms: impulsive, fickle, variable, mercurial, changeable

Origin: early 17th century: from French capricieux, from Italian capriccioso.

Used in a Sentence: My friend is always traveling--I think it’s a mix of his adventurous, capricious personality.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORDS & NOTES: WRAPPING UP JANUARY
written by EditorAndPerks < PM: >

As a somewhat disappointing reply to my previous article about my Janurary resolutions, I must admit to not being great at keeping those ideas. However, I have been doing my work to the best of my abilities as school has been its own major time taker throughout this whole month.

In some ways, I've been a lot more productive than I thought I would be this month -- I became (somehow) the co-leader of two moderator crews, admittedly I still am a bit in shock from that news, as well as working on what are now five classes instead of four for my college education.

Very big things happening for me and for this website in general. Something big is brewing in the forfront of next month, so keep your eyes peeled to perhaps catch a glimpse of what will come next! (Not to make you nervous or anything, but to get you feeling some anticipation.)

Besides that, I think I won't be able to spend too much time on my specific writing projects, but I do think I shall be able to keep up with my Storybooks and Roleplays as well as schooling and other YWS stuff.

I joined a bunch of Roleplays in a mad scramble and because I felt like I was neglecting that part of the site, which has turned into a very chaotic but fun mess on my end, as I subscribed to what felt like a dozen and a half different threads in twenty-four hours.

Overall, though, I'm looking forward to what comes next in February, and hopeful that things go well for us all!

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

~~~

Is your most favorite pen in the world not letting ink out? Do some of your precious markers seem to have dried out? No worries! The YWS Pen-fixer can help!

PM @LordMomo with any questions.

~~~

Searching for a fun challenge to spur some friendly competition and motivate you to review? In the month of January, look no further than the January 2021 Review Challenge! This simple but fun review challenge offers promising rewards for those who review diligently during January, and who can resist the challenge to prove oneself the true Victor of the Green Room? Join us as we kick off the New Year with some furious reviewing!

PM @IcyFlame or @Tuckster with questions!

~~~

Poetry Readers

The Poetry Readers
is new and improved!
Want to read lots of poetry?
Well then this is your groove!

That's right! A re-vamped Poetry Readers club is coming to YWSes near you this February! We'll still be discussing poems like before, but with a couple of *snazzy* twists. Instead of holding discussions in the club forum, we'll be meeting in a WriterFeedPad at the end of every month to discuss the poem together - in real time! And we won't just be discussing the poems of "famous" poets, we'll be discussing YWSer poems too. If that sounds like fun to you (trust me, it is!!), then subscribe to our club, and stay tuned for more information!

Contact Liminality and whatchamacallit for more information.

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @ Liebensteiner • @Vulcanite • @AtlasW • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @Yoshikrab

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time