z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/4/20 - 11/1/20

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:01 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
EditorAndPerks

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liberty

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Bullet

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter
ScarlettFire
Clairia

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW - VIL
written by Liberty < PM: >

Our latest featured member has been super active in the reviewing and storybooking part of the site! @vil has been super productive this RevMo (he even participated in the Checklist Challenge and did the 50/50 challenge and earned his dark cyan username, indicating that he reviewed every single day for Team Tortoise.

S: Hey! I'm a reporter for Squills and was wondering if you wanted to share your experiences as FM so far with our wonderful Squills readers? :)

V: Of course! <3

S: Alright, firstly, what was your reaction when you realized that you had become the FM?

V: To quote myself in a PM, "WHAT??? YES!!! AWESOME!!!"

S: Oh my goodness, that's exciting!! I have a few guesses myself, but why do you think you were chosen as the featured member?

:V Well, I'm not 100% sure how the FM is chosen, but I'd guess that between publishing a few million works doing 156 and counting reviews, and chasing after HarryHardy during #RevMo might have something to do with it. I've also been told humor could have played a roll, but I'd have no idea if that were true or not.

S: Hah, I love that. By the way, 156 reviews is a lot in three months! How do you do it? :o

V: Well, I was pretty nervous at first. Then I started with the tings I knew (ABABCDCD poetry). After I posted a few things, I branched out a litte, partly due to ShadowVyper and Stringbean. I've made it a goal to review everything those two write.

S: Neat! Alright, speaking of reviewing, do you have any tips for your fellow reviewers?

V: Um... I guess I'd tell people to take their time. I've posted one or two comments about reviewing on my wall, in which I mentioned that it's always a good idea to split you reviews up into sections. For example, I tend to split mine between likes, dislikes, the occasional grammar note, and a short summary.

S: Nice advice! Before I end this interview, do you have any shout-outs to make or anything else to say in general?

V: Umm... I guess a shout out to @Nate wouldn't be out of order... One to @ShadowQueen for being the first to tell me, and the mods who chose me. All of our mods are great, and we'd be lost without them! <3

S: Fabulous! Thanks so much for taking this interview and congrats once again on FM! <3

V: Thanks! <3

If you haven’t already congratulated Vil, make sure to drop by the thread in the Lounge or his wall!

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LOOKING FOR WRITERS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Visit the Looking For Writers for more information regarding submissions, positions, and benefits!

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:03 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

DIXIE KITCHEN: ARE POP TARTS ACTUALLY RAVIOLI?

Written by CaptainJack < PM: >

So while most people agree that pop tarts are not ravioli but almost a third of participants in this poll thought they should question my actions. I'm not committing any food crimes, y'all. I'm just waiting for y'all to yell at me for talking so much about food crimes.

So here's some of the feedback from this week.

The first reply was from @LZPianogirl who said:

I would say no, because by definition filling has to be inside a noodle to be ravioli. And I really don't think poptarts filling inside of a noodle would be very good.

@JabberHut did not explain their stance but add a gif surveying the scene.

Is there even any frosting on that?!

@Carlito gave us some pasta based reasoning for their stance.

As a ravioli fan, I’m going to say no because ravioli is a pasta and pop tarts are a breakfast/dessert/snack thing and the base is more of a bread rather than a pasta.

@alliyah is demanding answers from whoever said yes.

Ooof it's a no from me too.

Also the only valid poptart option is the cinnamon/brown sugar one, the rest are YIKES ™ in my opinion.

Also for those who put yes, explain yourselves please. XD

@magebird decided to target my stylistic spelling choice.

I had a visceral reaction to both the question and the photo, but what really disturbs me is how you spell poptarts with a space.

@vil has many concerns over this topic.

No.

Reason First:
Poptarts is one word, not two.

Reason Second:
If by "Dixie" you mean "Southern," then definitely no-- partially because Poptarts are more-or-less a common Southern "any time of the day food" whereas pasta (e.g. RAVIOLI) is more of a "heyyy, we have money left over fr'm when we sold all-uh that there home made deer jerky, let's go pretend to be th' rich folks and get som nice, fancy foodstuff!"

Reason THird:
...no, dude. Just no.

@lordmomo presents another classification for pop-tarts.

I say no because pop-tarts are donuts, not ravioli.

I did find out that @ShadowVyper was on my side about spelling though.

Magebird wrote:I had a visceral reaction to both the question and the photo, but what really disturbs me is how you spell poptarts with a space.

@Magebird I'm gonna have to fite you here ;) pop-tarts or pop tarts is acceptable, but it is most assuredly not a single word lol

@alliyah also showed up to comment on the spelling of pop tart so perhaps this will be a debate for further down the line.

The package seems to spell it "pop•tarts" so I guess it's up to interpretation of whether a dot is closer to a grammatical hyphen, space, or firework. In hindsight I think the hyphen may be the best course of action.

But also consider:
Pop;tarts ? A semi-colon has a dot right in it!

Or to be inclusive of those who prefer to say soda rather than pop -> soda•tarts.

Also I'm much more comfortable with pop•tarts being labled donuts, pizza pockets, or squashed pies than ravioli!

If you have any further commentary on this debate, be sure to post it in the thread. And keep an eye out next week for another debate topic where this time we address ways to cut sandwiches.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOUND OF AMBIENCE

Recently, I’ve been very into “ambience sounds” videos. My entire Youtube recommended page is a conglomeration of different videos: festival chatter, rain on a Victorian pathway, pages fluttering in a library, sweet birdsong in a summer garden.

They’re certainly not a new concept—I remember watching a crackling fire on our TV at home. As a kid, I had a sound machine that simulated different sounds (waves crashing, trains chugging, birds chirping) to help me sleep, because silence was overwhelming.

However, the vastness to ambience videos available on Youtube and the creativity creators have put into their videos has fascinated me!

This year, I’m doing online school. For me, these ambience videos have not only been the perfect background noise for writing that perfect scene to get me “in the zone”, but they’ve also been great for background noise when doing my assignments.

Sometimes I’ll have trouble focusing on an assignment in the silence of my own home. I get distracted by my thoughts or sometimes a prerecorded video lecture I’m watching is really hard to focus on. Ambience videos help me with that! Music with lyrics is a bit too distracting (you know when you start focusing too much on the chorus coming up!!) and ambience videos serve the same way music without lyrics serves for many people.

Personally, I’ve found ambience videos to be a bit different than music with no lyrics, as it creates more of a simulated environment and atmosphere. It’s definitely a different feeling (but don’t get me wrong—I still love listening to no-lyrics music).

I’ve fallen in love with the feeling of rain pattering in the background, with the occasional thunder boom, or a crackling fire in a cozy home (even if it’s sunny and 85 degrees F outside in my own home!). There are ambience videos for practically any environment you can dream of.

I like to have them on in the background when writing or doing assignments or browsing the Internet, but there are many that are nice to fall asleep to, as well! Ambience videos can bring a different purpose to everyone—one of the reasons I love them so much.

Right now, my personal favorite is this video by the channel Ambience of Yesteryear.
phpBB [media]

Another one I love, particularly when writing my fantasy adventure novel, is this village sounds video from the channel Autumn Cozy.
phpBB [media]

If ambience videos are you thing, feel free to reach out to me with any atmospheric videos you find. And if they’re not your thing—that’s okay, too!—to each their own.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

Along with reviewing, @queenofportalverse has also gotten started publishing their fantasyy novel! If you want to check it out, you read the first chapter, Prince of Silk: Chapter 1 - Memories of Smoke .

@Wallflower23 has made their way through reviewing both poems and short stories! Welcome them to YWS on their wall! .

Are those some shiny review stars I spot? @Soccer23, @piyaliarchives, @Ave38, and @cirdrianwritersguild are all rocking their first review star!

@Euphoria8 is a few weeks old, but already has a whopping 40 reviews. They’ve also published some poems that have ended up in the literary spotlight. I personally love Stormmates .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

The Revision Contest hosted by @Vil and @Stringbean is still ongoing. All entries are due October 31. Many thanks to @Magebird for sponsoring this context!

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omnom • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liberty • @Vulcanite • @AtlasW • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites • @lulon • @IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.
— Welcome to Night Vale