z

Young Writers Society

Squills 7/2/20 - 8/9/20

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
EditorAndPerks

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liberty
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Bullet

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter
ScarlettFire
Clairia

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm

Ghost Reporters
amelie
ExOmelas
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: SHAPEOFVOID
written by Liberty < PM: >

Hey everyone!

On the 4th of July, @ShapeOfVoid became featured member once again! The last time she was featured was back in January of 2019. But now, she’s become FM for her hardwork on the YWS Group Picture . She does so many wonderful edits - she even has her own thread where you request different things from her! From wallpapers to cute gifs, ShadeOfVoid is very talented.

Anyways, I got the honor of interviewing her! :)

Sq: Hello ShapeOfVoid! I'm a reporter for Squills and I was wondering if I could interview you for the next issue regarding your experiences as being FM once again? :)

Sh: hi lib! you can totally interview me <3

Sq: Alright! How does it feel like to become FM once again?

Sh: It's just as exciting the second time around! The first time, I was two weeks old, a wide-eyed and nervous newbie, and very much elated. Now, I'm still elated, but much less nervous <3<3 yewis is absolutely wonderful, and i'll always be grateful that i took the time to be a part of it :D

Sq: Aw, that's sweet! There were a couple of points mentioned in the thread, but why do you think you got FM?

Sh: I'm positive it was because of all my work on the Yewis Picture :) everyone was so happy and wrote such nice comments about it <3

Sq: Ah yes, I think so too! What's your favorite part of the site, and why?

Sh: I've loved all parts of the site i've explored! I mostly frequent the people tab these days, but i really loved being a part of Storybooks and Roleplays section :D i loved writing a story with other people, and i think Storybook-ing is a great way to learn how to juggle different characters and figure out how to refrain from giving all your MCs the same basic personality. (something i've always struggled with :P)

Sq: That's awesome! If you wanted to give anyone advice on how to become FM, what would it be? Of course, since you've become it twice, you'd know for sure. :P

Sh: ahhh I honestly can't say : D like, the first time, i didnt even know what an fm was, and the second time i didnt know that you could become an fm twice. so really, i wasn't gunning for it any of the time ~ i just put my time into being a part of the site and helping it grow <3 i do think that making a significant impact on yewis is all that it takes :D

Sq: Must have been a surprise each time. :P Okay, so, before I end this interview, do you have anything else to say? Any shout-outs?

Sh: I grew so much as both a writer and a person since my time in Yewis. Everyone in here is so amazing and thoughtful and talented! I have so many people I want to thank and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna forget some but here's a special shout-out to: @Liberty @Magebird @Que @alliyah @Arcticus @soundofmind @LZPianoGirl @TheMulticoloredCyr @Awru uhmmm and in solidarity @all-My-Indian-Folks-In-Here (aye i'm totally being partial hehe) and everyone who's ever supported me!!! (ach i'm probably missing out sooo many people) Thank you all so much for being constant inspirations and supporters <333

Thanks, SOV for taking this interview! It was a delight talking to you.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

BLUE GOLD MACAWS, CHICKENS, CLASSIFIED OH MY

written by alliyah < PM: >

Towards the end of July you may have noticed the site was taken over by two birds. A new user called @LoonyMaroony who has been identified by @Featherstone as a blue gold macaw and chickens.

LoonyMaroony
Now Loony made a huge splash with their first status:

"Ca-Caw!"

They also posted a series of mysterious blue gold macaw gifs and followed an interesting selection of users. There were a few users who immediately expressed confusion and even the possibility of classified plots over the new user's activities asking what was going - however Loony continued to respond with a resolved "cacaw".

Chickens
Given the strong connection between "classified" and a series of bird themes and clues they've used in the past - as well as "unclassified"'s preference towards the @TheEgg as the force for truth on the site there were some clear tensions arising. Many shared their classified and unclassified perspectives ,

A big focus of concern was the possibility that LoonyMaroony was actually the legendary egg , but hatched! Thankfully, two independent chicken experts @ChieRynn and @whatchamacallit were able to weigh in on the matter and determine that indeed as previously expected TheEgg is of a chicken variety, so is not LoonyMaroony.

In a show of support for YWS, the truth, Big Brother, and TheEgg countless users changed their avatars to chickens. Here's a collection of them below for your enjoyment:

(pictured from left to right: @HarryHardy, @kattee, @ChieRynn, @starlitmind, @alliyah, @PrincessInk, @wolfical)

In addition to these chicken developments, @Arcticus brought the site's attention to one of the finest forms of poetry; "Chicken Poetry" that was actually invented right on YWS.

Resolution

Amidst all of the commotion of Loony and the chickens, a new development was released! The very end of the SB Month Tagbook Treasure Hunt that had been taking place throughout July as users searched for the elusive treasure, came to an end! @Magebird's ending post revealed that LoonyMaroony actually led the treasure hunters to ... The Captain's Herald a brand new Storybook newsletter! It turns out LoonyMaroony that mischievous bird had been working with the SB pirates the whole time!

This of course doesn't resolve all of classified's involvement or un-involvement with this case though, but all in all it was a stupendous ending of the month and beginning of August to have this new Storybook treasure released along with all the solidarity among the chicken movement.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: LACHRYMOSE
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Pronunciation: lack-reh-mose

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: 1) tearful or given to weeping. 2) inducing tears; sad.

Synonyms: tearful, weeping, crying; tragic, sad

Origin: mid 17th century (in the sense ‘like tears; liable to exude in drops’): from Latin lacrimosus, from lacrima ‘tear’.

Used in a Sentence: The fairy in the forgotten forest slumped against a tree, heartbroken and lachrymose.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ROLEPLAYING IS FUN SO COME JOIN ALONG
written by EditorAndPerks < PM: >

Hello there!

Since this is Storybook Month after all, I figured I would pitch a few reasons to come and participate, if not in full SBs, but at least in Role-Plays. I, myself, wasn't sure if I could get into the fast-paced, quick-to-reply RP sections when I first joined YWS, which was a year that makes me feel old, but I think anyone can enjoy themselves in the Realm.

1. Friends are quite easy to make when you're interacting this much
    One aspect I really enjoy with Role-Playing is that you're bound to strike up a connection or friendship with at least someone else in the RP because you're interacting so often together, and you're going over different character ideas, and you're getting super interested in the story lore. I know I've met quite a few people that I at one point thought of as "super cool" or "way too cool to want to be friends with me" but I think it turned out a lot differently than that.

2. You will not believe how many ideas are out there
      By looking over the RP Realm currently, there are over twenty different ones that seem to have replies in the past month. Double that, and you may reach the number of RPs that have responses since May. I've joined a few that seemed totally off-the-wall but were super fun to write in! You are certainly bound to find one that you can't believe you managed to live without participating in.

3. Of course, you can always make your own
        I can admit to making a few RPs of my own the last year or two -- they might not have totally taken off, but it's a different kind of fun, I believe, when you put in some decent time to really establish what kind of story you want to be running, and what you want the characters to work their way to. There are so many different ways you could start RPs, not to mention running with an idea you loved in a television show or movie!

4. One possible silly reason is getting notifications
          For the life of me, I don't understand how people can shift through hundreds, and I mean hundreds sometimes for these very active RPers, of notifications all dealing with different stories they're involved in, but it's a blast to get notifications every time you check YWS. If you decide to join a RP, I would definitely recommend you subscribe to the thread, so that you at least can know how many posts you need to read to catch up with the story.

5. Finally, you get to write as your own characters
            I never thought that I would have this much fun being able to expand on my characters' backstories, their motivations, how they would react if they were trapped in the middle of a snowstorm and come across a cabin created by @Magebird, or how one would behave when placed into a mysterious mansion of a building created by @soundofmind but those are just very random thoughts.

As one last method to entice you into wanting to participate in RPs -- here is a short list of ones seeking more writers:

-Slumber Party by @SebiGhoul - this is rated 16+
            -Walking Right Down the Middle of Gotham by @CaptainJack - this is also rated 16+
            -Petal's Café by @CaptainJack
            -Play With Me by @Magebird

If none of those titles catch your eye, don't be nervous about starting your own idea! There are plenty of users who gladly join your story too, if you post it.

I hope you're all enjoying SB Month, and that more users will join in on the RP fun!

Until next time.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 am
            View Likes
            SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
            written by EternalRain < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

Along with reviewing, @RadDog13579 has also gotten started publishing their science fiction/horror novel! If you want to read the spooky, ominous story, start with the prologue: The Harvest, Prologue .

Are those shiny new review stars I spot? @blankspaceformythoughts, @Rosewood, and @alliaria have all earned their first review star!

Yet another member you may have seen jump onto July’s Top 15 Review Leaderboard is @Vilnius. He’s rocking his 2 review stars, as well as the second position in the monthly leaderboard with 28 reviews so far.

@Dragonthorn has also jumped into the reviewing side of things, with 16 reviews. She’s also become familiar with the forums and has found one of my favorite threads in the Lounge, the Post Your Pet Pictures Here! thread.

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 am
            View Likes
            SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
            Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

~~~

Poetry Discussion

Do you want to discuss poetry?

Join our discussion at the Poetry Readers Club .

Our poem for July is "A Map to the Next World" by Joy Harjo. Hope you check it out!

For questions please PM @alliyah.

~~~

A Knight's Journey:
            Tales from Outside the Great Hall

We have all seen the ceremonies in the Great Hall, knights being rewarded for victories and brave battles won. But that is only half the story. Here we shall tell the tales of the Knights of the Green Room on their journeys away from the protections of the castle. Fighting foe, managing their villages, searching for golden geese, and managing their friendships with fellow knights. These are the stories from outside the Great Hall. Huzzah!

* Are you a Knights of the Green Room Knight?
            * Do you want to be involved in an ongoing SB/RP of the Knights?
            Check out the new Official Knights of the Green Room Storybook - open to all knights to get involved with at any time!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 am
            View Likes
            SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
            Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords • @Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omnom • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess • @Traves • @JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liberty • @Dossereana • @AtlasW • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites • @lulon

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
            — Richard Siken