z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/19/20 - 5/3/20

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
fraey

General Editors
EternalRain
CaptainJack

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack

Community Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
nogutsnoglory

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter
ScarlettFire
Clairia

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master

General Reporters
neptune
Liberty
Asith
LZPianoGirl

Ghost Reporters
amelie
BiscuitsLeGuin
Clarity
elysian
Kanome
shaniac
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
writeasmile

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:49 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NAPO PROMPTS

written by alliyah < PM: >

We've made it half way through NaPo, so it's around this time that everyone's getting short on inspiration. To help generate some more inspiration, here's what some NaPo writers had for poetry prompts! If you're able to use any of these prompts, let me know, and I'll send you 100 points for completing this Squills Poetry Challenge!

alliyah: Do you have any poetry prompts you'd like to share?

EthanHoover: What the wind looks like? Write a poem about that.

mckaylaam: Try writing a poem inspired by one of your favorite songs, and incorporate at least 3-5 words from that song that stuck out to you

Liberty: write a poem based on the second thing you looked at this morning. If you can't remember, wait for next morning!

Everlight: Oh yes, do I ever have a prompt!
Write about your darkest (or deepest) fears and how they relate to a space object such as say...a Black Hole. But you could also be different and use a star

Liminality: Hmm . . . a poetry prompt . . . How about 'use an extended metaphor to describe your life'?

Arcticus: Write about the room (or rooms) that you grew up in. Describe the different aspects of the place and how they now appear to you through the lens of memory. The ceiling, the walls, the way the lights would shift, the sounds, smells and memories etc.

MeherazulAzim16: I wonder if it's a little weird or too complicated, but I could share something that I've tried to do before. It has to do with music. What makes a good album is coherence and a consistent theme. Find such an album (I could suggest "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac, "Alvvays" by Alvvays, "OK Computer" by Radiohead etc, but it could be anything you like), and after you've listened to the whole album at least once or while listening to it, try to the translate the theme (or your idea of what it could be) into a poem. You could even quote your favorite lines from the album and use them to convey something totally different/opposite.

MiniGem26: Write poetry about home in a light you haven't looked at before, it is really easy to capture what you already know in your heart.

Thanks @MeherazulAzim16, @Arcticus, @Liminality, @Liberty, @EthanHoover, @mckaylaam, @MiniGem26 and @EverLight for the prompts! If you're in need of more prompts we have over 100 over in the NaPo Prompt Central including 30 new ones that I added this year. Happy Poetry Writing!

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:52 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POP UP QUESTION: SPRING
written by EternalRain < PM: >

I’m really excited to be doing another “Pop Up Question!”. I thought “spring” was a pretty good topic - I mean, it’s spring, it’s NaPo, lots of poetry is all about nature, spring is about nature! Overall, I also think spring just carries a lot of hope and freshness to it. (Also, shoutout to my Southern Hemisphere folk who are chillin’ in autumn right now! Fall is actually secretly my favorite season.)

Anyway, this week, I wanted to ask a few members what their favorite thing about spring is! I asked @Lavvie, @EverLight, @Honora, and @PawedEmpress to let me know their favorite thing about spring, and they all gave me some delightful answers.

Squills: What’s your favorite thing about spring?

Lavvie: Hey!

Thanks for reaching out - I am more than happy to contribute.

Where I live, spring isn't as beautiful as in other places so - really - what I love about spring is that it's a harbinger of summer to come. Here, spring means the melting of snow which reveals the rotting leaves underneath... and that really doesn't smell so wonderful! At the same time, I was looking out my window the other day and I spotted three beautiful red-belled robins perched in the tree on my front lawn. So, at the very least, while spring is literally stinky, we have the return of stunning wildlife and I know that better-smelling weather is just around the corner ;)

Everlight: My favorite thing about Spring would be the hopeful message it contains.
We all go through ''Winters'' of loss and agony, but Spring serves as a reminder there's still the promise of joy and gain under all that cold snow...and I must say-it's beautiful when all of that joy blooms.
Spring also serves as a reminder of resilience. Winter may come, and cover every single beautiful thing, and render what once held life lifeless, but deep within that life still flows and persistently waits for Spring and Summer. Always.
That got poetical quickly
Finally, the weather, at least in early Spring, is perfect-not to hot, not too cold, and there's a lovely chilly breeze. I really appreciate that about Spring, because I can't stand Summer heat. Ultimately Spring is a very lovely season

Honora: Hey Rain!

My favourite thing about spring...hmmm...that’s a hard question. Honestly I’d have to say that it’s the smell and feel as the earth changes. Or the birds that come back. I’m always excited to see the first Robin! :)

PawedEmpress: My favorite spring is just the sudden warmth. With blooming flowers and perfect-temperature air surrounding you, everything just feels more serene, pure.

Thanks to all the participating respondents for their fun answers! I loved seeing the difference in answers - do you love the smell of spring or hate it?. What’s your favorite thing about spring? Is it the hopeful message it brings, the fresh start, the weather? Or maybe you hate it! Feel free to share on your wall. And stay tuned for another POP UP Question (maybe you’ll be chosen next!)

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:54 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NAPO SHOUTOUTS: WEEK TWO

We're here for week two of the NaPo highlights! If you missed the first week of shout-outs, here's the link .

stitch these strands
into your heart
so that when things fall apart
there’s something left to
remember me by.

@Querencia tacenda xiv

Gleaming feathers drift down like sunken ships
Upon the shining landscape, silken rain
The golden bird soars high above my head
Its burnished plumage shining like the sun

@ethanhoover Gleaming Feathers

all of it is cast in amber, whispering fields
that dance in the syrup of lazy afternoon sunshine,
the trees telling each other the time might just be coming to turn
the world you built forever the golden heart of the year at
the end of darkness, the beginning too

@StellaThomas august

spring exists in contradictions
of sun and shadow,
relief from pain
(pollen destroys peace)
found only in rain.

@Meshugenah#25

Maybe life begins with an idle game,
with collecting indigo impressions,
with the sounds you tame
with sticker labels shelved in memory.

@Liminality Acquisition

Her daughter’s heart has been raised on fairy tales,
and it restlessly knocks against its cage of ribs like a bird
ready to take flight any day now.

@bluewaterlily The Lost Daughter of Wendy Darling

The earth scarred from every time I've stumbled and risen again
My skin chaffes from being too tight
Each heartbeat measures a lifespan, yet
There isn't room for eternity in my veins

@RoseAndThorn the thirteenth

Make sure to take a look at the NaPoWriMo Threads this year to catch the rest of the threads, and if there's a poem that I missed that you'd like to give a shout-out to, you can stop by the Shout-out Thread . This week in the shoutouts there were shoutouts for bluewaterlily's haunting take on classic fairy-tale poetry, @Mea's imagery-laden poem attached , @niteowl's plant gift poem which manages to be both ordinary and emotionally resonant, @StellaThomas' thread which is filled with Roman-historical nuggets and ellegance in word choice and imagery, @erilea's thread with its diverse imagery in short nostalgic reflections, and @EternalRain's thread which has striking themes and empathetic narration.

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NATIONAL PET DAY INTERVIEWS - PART TWO
written by Asith < PM: >

Hello again Squills readers! Asith here, picking up where I left off: Pet Day Interviews! This time, I spoke to @EverLight about her feline battalion, and to @Carlito about yws' favourite bunny.
Remember, since we're all stuck indoors, this is a great time to show some household animals some love, or just gawk at cute pictures if you don't have any pets :3

@EverLight's army of cats:
Spoiler! :

"They are affectionate individualists, with a lot of personality."

"My eldest two, Kanin and Mina, are about 6 years old, Amelia and Isabella my next eldest are both 4 years old, and then there's the young bunch-The 'little boys', Titan and Charm, who are both 3 years old, and 'The Kitten Troop' Little Luna, (also Mina's daughter) whose 3 months old, Ava, the newest addition to my feline family, whose 6 months old, and then my Dynamic Duo, Athena, and Jack Sparrow, who are both 4 months old.
I've been with Titan, Mina, Kanin, Charm Isabella, Little Luna, Ava, Jack Sparrow, and Athena since they were kittens. Amelia? I've been with her for...what?...2 years now? She came to me as a full-grown adult cat."

Squills: Where do the names come from? Any special reasons?

Everlight: I named Titan after Team Titan (not the sports team, but the gang of Superheros, and do not judge-I was going through a fangirl phase), a name that later came to suit his big heart, and giant feline personality. Isabella was named after Queen Isabella, and Charm got his name because he ''charmed'' his way to my heart so to speak.

S: Can you tell us about the day you first got them?

E: Well, there's Little Luna. I was fortunate enough to watch her birth. Honestly, it came as a shock to me because I'd thought her mother, Mina had been properly spayed...but nevertheless, the story goes like this- a month after Mina had been ''spayed'', I noticed that she'd grown plump. I didn't think much of it at first until I realized that she was behaving like a cat expecting kittens-eating excessively, and exploring nooks and crannies hoping to find a suitable birthing spot. I chose to dismiss it...But low and behold, on the last week of December, Mina laid down on my closet floor and began...screaming is the word that comes to mind, and half an hour later, became the proud mamma of four perfect kittens. Little Luna, I remember, was the ''runt'' of the litter, and struggled to eat because her siblings pushed her away from any... potential feeding spots let us say. I was forced to bottle feed her until she was able to push back. Mina herself turned out to be a doting mother and she seemed to adore Little Luna most of all. When it was bath time, for example, she'd groom Little Luna first, or when resting with her kittens, she'd let Little Luna snuggle against her cheek. Mina let her other sons and daughters do that of course, but I noticed that she seemed less tense when the kitten against her cheek was Little Luna.

S: Are there any interesting stories or anecdotes you'd like to tell us about?

E: My cat Isabella, is a totally different class of pet, and for a domesticized feline she is rather intense. When you pick her up, she'll nudge her head against your cheek as hard as she can, and she will also show affection by snagging her claws on your shirt when you pass her and meowing. None of the other cats do that. But above all things, Izzie .B. Ella (one of her nicknames) is a survivor. See, one day, out of the blue, she just disappeared. I couldn't find her anywhere, and nobody in the neighborhood had seen her. I set out notices on Facebook's Lost and Found Pets page. Again no luck...until someone called saying ''I think I have your cat'' I immediately went to check things out, and I agreed. This had to be my cat, so I brought her home. Sadly, the poor dear died in the middle of the night. I knew by then, however, that this was not Isabella, and that the real Izzie .B. was alive. Month after month passed without a sign of her, and I began to be convinced of her death...Until a miracle happened. I'd been off of work for some time, and it was about twilight, when I heard a meow. The meow sounded like...but it couldn't be...But it was, and, live and in the flesh, she strode into my house.
''Isabella! It's you!'' I exclaimed excitedly and I hugged her, (I believe a few tears were shed as well) When I examined her, I saw that her stomach had been shaved, and cut. I couldn't believe the cat was still walking. With the proper medial assistance from a vet and TLC from her human mother (me), my little wild cat recovered from her injury in a week. To this day, she is ruling the parking lot with all her queenly grace.
Yeah. My gang of cats is amazing <3

@Carlito's bunny: Neville!
Spoiler! :

"Neville is a sweet, cuddly, adventurous, sometimes naughty (but always so lovable) little fluff of pure love and joy - a Gryffindor through and through!"

"Neville was born on February 14th, 2013. I brought him home when he was 3 1/2 months old on May 26th, 2013! So he is 7 years old (late middle age) and we've been together almost 7 years! He's still very much my baby :)"

S: Where does the name come from?

Carlito: Many people around here know I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. Neville is not only my favorite character in the Harry Potter series, but he's my favorite character out of every book I've ever read. I had the name picked out before I ever met him, and he has lived up to the name perfectly!

S: Can you tell us about the day you first got them?

C: I set up his cage in my parent's living room. I don't think they really thought I was going to get a rabbit until I put the pet taxi in my car and drove two hours away to my friend's farm. My friend didn't tell me in advance if the rabbit he picked out for me was a boy or a girl or anything about the rabbit at all. He knew if he gave me a choice, rabbit A or rabbit B I would NEVER be able to decide :p so he chose one for me based on temperament and health.
I arrived at his farm, I looked at all of his bunnies again and I kept wondering which one was going to be MINE. He pulled little baby Neville out and said this was the one and I held him and was like omg this is happening. I put him in the pet taxi, and we drove the two hours back to my parent's house.
Neville was super scared at first! It took him awhile to come out from under the shelf in his cage and find his food and water and everything. But he eventually warmed up and started to feel more comfortable. I took him out for play time and he got to romp around on the couch. (He eventually took over the entire house :p).

S: How have they reacted to you being home so much more these days?

C: He loves it! It's been so nice for both of us because now that he's in his late middle age years he has more health problems and I have to give him medicine several times a day which is much easier when I'm here at home! He also loves being able to cuddle with me whenever he wants during the day and that I give him extra snacks throughout the day :)

S: Are there any interesting stories or anecdotes you'd like to tell us about? Anything notably funny or cute that they've done over the years?

C: Oh I could go on for days and days! Neville and I have had so many adventures over the years!
*Neville is so, so lovey and he will give kisses to anyone who gives him love and attention. He absolutely LOVES to cuddle with me and he could lay on my stomach or my chest or wrapped in my arms, or with his little chin resting on my leg for HOURS <3
*Neville is so smart! When he was younger he was trained to hit a soccer ball into a goal and he could jump over a jump! He's always been a very vertical boy and loved to jump up on the couch or my bed to cuddle with me (he can't jump as high now so we cuddle on the floor)
*Neville loves to chew on things (which can get him in trouble :p). He LOVES cardboard and boxes. He had a gigantic box that my parents gave him when they got a new desk chair and Neville literally spent years digging and chewing and ripping up that box. I would rotate it so he would have new sections to work on and he would make holes in it so he could tunnel and hide. It eventually got to to the point where he had destroyed the box so effectively that it collapsed on itself, and he continued to play with it!
*Some of the naughty things he's chewed on over the years include: SO MANY iPhone cords (RIP iPhone cords), all of the buttons on the tv remote, the cover of my Bible, clothes/blankets, two or three phone cases, the couch, the vacuum cleaner cord....
*Neville always seems to know when I'm having a hard time. I truly cannot even tell you how many times he has come to comfort me when I'm anxious or crying about something, and nothing turns a bad day around like Neville.
*Neville loves watching TV and one of his favorite shows is Jeopardy! As in there have been times when he came in the room when the theme music started and he will lay in front of the TV when it's on :)
*I know I'm going to think of a dozen more stories and cute things about him as soon as I hit send, but just know that I am ALWAYS happy to talk about Neville, share pictures of Neville, or share about rabbits/rabbit care with anyone who is interested. I love that so many of you love my baby! He is the most incredible little love <3

That's it from me!
If you also have a pet, go swamp them in affection. If you don't have a pet but enjoy squealing at cute pictures of animals, you should totally check out the Post your Pet Pictures topic for more adorableness! Either way, stay home and stay safe!
Also, let's have a big cheer for all the doggos who have recently had to sacrifice their walks :)

Oh, and here's a bonus just for the sake of nepotism -- my own wonderful pupper, Pluto:
Spoiler! :

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:00 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLASSIFIED RETURNS (AGAIN)

If you haven't heard of the two YWS Factions of "Classified versus Unclassified" there's a lot to catch up on, but your two best resources are the Unclassified Site Briefing from November 2019 and the series of Squills Updates I've made previously, February Update, October Update, November Update. The main point is that Classified is a group of users who spread mysterious conspiracies with their hashtag "#classified," they may or may not be connected to aliens, robots, and project blue book. And Unclassified is a group that tries to solve their plots and support Big Brother, our mascot is also The Egg.

Recently there's been a few more classified hashtag sightings, so it's time for another update on what classified may be plotting.

Back-in-Time Plot
"Back in Time" has occasionally been a key to solving classified's clues, and seems to be re-emerging as a new plot. Back in November, @Jaybird put together a Birthday Week Tagbook where she released the cipher revealing a clue to the last plot, it was confirmed that part of the key to solving the mysteries of Classified was "going back in history."

In the initial classified clue hunt, released by @Classified there was a whole series of clues that could only be solved by using YWS history. There's also been cases of classified actually re-writing YWS History, by censoring or redacting Squills Articles and other important documents related to their plots, see the evidence below:

REDACTED INFORMATION REGARDING CLASSIFIED - *EVIDENCE DOC 1
DEA [REDACTED] PAST ACTIVITY- *EVIDENCE DOC 3
CLASSIFIED MEMBER CLAIMS GOVERNMENT AGENCIES CLASSIFY INFORMATION - *EVIDENCE DOC 4
UNCLASSIFIED MEMBER'S WORK REDACTED - * EVIDENCE DOC 5

Could this mean that the new classified plot is to revert YWS to a former version of the site? There is evidence that certainly suggests so. There has been renewed traction in the "YWS Then and Now " thread. @YeOldeYorick (whose username and archaic language suggests an idealization of older times) has been re-awakening old storybook posts as well. And probably the most telling clue, is that on April 1st, 2020 there was a bizarre glitch where several prominent members of the site @StellaThomas, @Elinor, @Lavvie, @fortis, @Tenyo seemed to have their accounts reverted to older versions, different avatars, username alterations, and other strange occurences. I don't know if these were actually old/new accounts, or more-likely some sort of time-warp glitch.

Grocery List
A connection has been made that certain foods seem to have become a vital aspect of this new plot. These three foods are Eggs, Lemons, and Potatoes. To read more about the significance of these foods to the whole plot, you can consult our discussion here . Unclassified has long held allegiance to @TheEgg, initially posted by @fishsashimi (known unclassified supporter) as a proven force for goodness and truth on the site, and many of us have made our allegiances known by voting for the Egg as the ultimate YWS mascot. Classified has been working against the egg from the very beginning, but now these other two food items are popping up all over the site.

What do all these foods have in common? They're all in different food groups, and are all ovals in shape. Perhaps the oval is a connection to the paw-print shape (a known symbol of classified users)? Or it could be the shape of the "Mystery Portal"? Perhaps classified is using Lemons and Potatoes as alternative foods to destroy the Egg's rightful place as Ultimate Mascot? Perhaps it's a code or secret currency? I'm not sure! @Tuckster (a known member of classified) recently put out a "grocery list" listing these exact three foods, so clearly this is something that needs to be researched more thoroughly.

Mystery Portal
A mysterious user named "Zee" took over @Arcticus' account on the April 16, there was some coded poems and exchanges of potatoes, but eventually when Arcticus was from the dungeon there was an extremely cryptic post about a mysterious portal opening up. Could this portal be a way that classified aliens are entering into YWS? Is it a digital portal giving them access to something mysterious? Is it some sort of time portal that classified is working on to revert YWS "back in time"? This is the plot we have the least information on, but most need to be investigating.

My advice to all of you who are unsure during this time, is not to repost "classified" hashtags, and to continue to broadcast your support of Big Brother and the quest for the truth.

If you have further information about Classified's Plots or theories about what the above conspiracies might mean, join us at the Unclassified Club to discuss the latest information, or stop over to my Author's Corner .

Reject the Conspiracy, Find the Truth, Long Live Big Brother

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

DISCUSSING “THE GREAT AMERICAN SPECIAL” PART ONE (100-96)
written by fraey < PM: >

Hello there readers! This is the start to a short series of articles pertaining to PBS’s The Great American Special, in which the public was able to vote for a list of the top hundred most loved books in the U.S. I caught a few of the novels’ titles watching the last “episode” that aired, and I have some opinions on whether a few (or a lot) of these stories really deserve such a high spot.

I’m going to do a short look over five books per article, if I can muster up some words. So, I shall start with the very bottom of the list, and work my way up until the one ranked “most loved.”

100 - 96

100. Doña Bárbára
by Rómulo Gallegos

This list has a very unique book to begin the discussion. Doña Bárbára was written during a rather volatile time in Venezuela’s history, during the 1920s in which the country was ruled by Juan Vicente Gómez, who acted as a dictator. In fact, many readers during this time took to understand the storyline of the title character rumored to be a witch falling in love with Santos Luzardo, the male protagonist, while he falls for her daughter. This was such a controversial book, Gallegos fled his country in fear of losing his life from Gómez’s ire, until the dictator died.

99. The Intuitionist
by Colson Whitehead

Written in 1999, this book is listed as “speculative fiction,” both a specific and general genre because the setting is implied to be of the time where there integration is being discussed, while the world is hinted to be New York City. Lila Mae Watson became the first ever black female elevator inspector, and is an Intuitionist, someone who can simply “intuit” any possible problems with an elevator, while an “Empiricist” follows guidelines and methodically check over elevators. There is a rather unique analysis of race within Lila Mae Watson herself, and how her character is treated throughout the book,

98. The Coldest Winter Ever
by Sister Souljah

This also was written in 1999, and tells the story of Winter Santiaga, who grew up in a rich household, as her father was a successful crime boss, set in Brooklyn, New York. She believed that her beauty and the power that came from her dad’s involvement in drugs and illegal activities, gave her a kind of right to live by her rules and not worry about who she could be hurting. In some cases, she only caused further harm towards herself. Sister Souljah actually wrote herself in as a side character, someone determined to help Winter see the error of her ways and learn to become a better person.

97. Ghost
by Jason Reynolds

This novel is the first part of a series, all highlighting the tales of track athletes in middle school. There definitely is more of a middle school-age target audience, but the relatable ties of trying to find one’s self in a sea of problems and a backstory better left untouched. Castle Cranshaw, better known as “Ghost” runs like the best of runners. There is enough promise in him that an ex-Olympic Medalist wants to get Ghost to join the track team, but he struggles with staying out of trouble and in school and not just running away.

96. White Teeth
by Zadie Smith

Last in this list is a novel written in 2000, set in London post WW2, and follows the lives of two veterans: Samal Iqbal, who is Bangladesh, and Archie Jones, who is English. Their friendship began in Eastern Europe, where they were deployed as soldiers, and only continued once the war was over, and they moved back to England. An omniscient narrator dives back and forth between their respective families, both racially mixed, and whose children often struggle with their own identities and feelings towards themselves and the world they live in.

Overall, wow these all seem like really interesting stories! I’m surprised I haven’t come across Ghost in some form, as I read through more than a dozen sports books back a few years ago, and that seems totally up younger me’s avenue. With a novel from the 1920s, and then four within the last couple of decades, this list does seem a little slanted towards modern releases, the maybe books get a little more historic as we get further into the entries. I would probably be the most inclined to read The Intuitionist, mostly because the world seems so harsh yet interesting, and I would love to see how “speculative fiction” is formed inside that story.

I have no idea if this was an interesting article to read, but hopefully I will get to books I have read, so I can give a more personal insight into the contents. That’s all for now, though, folks, so thanks!

Until next time!

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

AUTOMOBILES IN MOVIES AND NOVELS: PART TWO
written by LZPianogirl < PM: >

Finally, part two! I had a great time researching about this topic again, especially talking to my dad about his favorite cars. Due to the Coronavirus, the St. Louis Easter Show was cancelled, leaving my dad in a sour mood on Easter. He had gone to that show every year since he was my age and this was the first year he wasn't able to attend. So, in this edition of "Automobiles in Movies and Novels", I will be including my dads favorite car that he has seen in a movie. The cars that are mentioned in this article are both of the Hudson brand: the Hudson Hornet and the Hudson Commodore.

Cars: 1951 Hudson Hornet

The movie Cars is an iconic movie from my childhood, as I would always watch it with my family on weekends and after preschool. Doc Hudson, voiced by Paul Newman, is a former race car turned "doctor" (basically a mechanic). Lightning McQueen discovers the trophies that Doc won next to the article describing the end of his racing career. The movie ends with McQueen winning a race with the help of Doc, and Radiator Springs becomes a popular vacation spot.

The Hudson Hornet had a "Twin-H-Power'' engine, which was rare in the 1950s. Thanks to this engine, the Hornet became a popular race car, like Doc. The Hornet was unbeatable and won more championships than any other car of its era. Doc was known as the "Fabulous Hudson Hornet'' during his racing career, but there actually were several real Fabulous Hudson Hornets. Famous drivers like Marshall Teague, who won seven starts in his Hornet, and Herb Thomas, the most successful racer of the 1950s, drove Hornets, earning them the nickname "Fabulous Hudson Hornets''. You can learn more about the original Hudson Hornet here.

Spoiler! :
Left: Herb Thomas Right: Marshall TeagueImage

Driving Miss. Daisy: 1949 Hudson Commodore

Though it is not my dad's favorite car, it is his favorite car that has been in a movie. Driving Miss. Daisy is my dad's favorite movie, so it is fitting that he chose a car from it. The 1949 Hudson Commodore is Miss. Daisy's car that her driver, Holke Colburn (Martin Freeman), uses frequently. The movie is about Holke living as Miss. Daisy's chauffeur and their relationship growing over time. It ends on a happy note, with Holke visiting Miss. Daisy in the nursing home years later.

The Hudson Motor Company produced Commodores in 1941 and 1942 and 1946 to 1952. The Hudson Commodore was the most luxurious of Hudson's cars. The Commodore came in three "generations". The First Generation was made from 1941 to 1942, the Second Generation was made from 1946 to 1947, and the Third Generation was produced from 1948 to 1952. Each generation had a different style. In the Commodore's case, it slowly began to look more like the Hudson Hornet in the Third Generation. You can read more about the Hudson Commodore here.

Spoiler! :

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

~~~

YWS Advertising Post

Need more advertisements in your life?
Or maybe you just want to keep up with the latest events on YWS?

Join the YWS Advertising Post so you don't miss any of the upcoming events and feel free to share your own news too!

~~~

Welcome to the Universe

Do you want to participate in a universe with other YWSers? Would you like to create a diverse universe and mold it as you write? Do you want to write a deep story in an interconnected universe? Do you like writing with others, or just worldbuild for stories? Young Writers Universe is always open and inviting!

~~~

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omnom • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Querencia • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Jaybird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess • @Traves • @JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liberty • @Dossereana • @AtlasW • @EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres