z

Young Writers Society

Squills 3/31/19 - 4/14/19

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Aley

General Editors
EternalRain
fraey
LadyBird

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
LadyBird

Community Reporter
TheWeirdoFromBeyond
neptune

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Poetry Enchantress
Aley
alliyah

Resources Reporter
BiscuitsLeGuin

Storybooks Status Reporter
fraey

Writer's World Columnist
elysian

Anime Maniac
Kanome

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

General Reporters
Clarity
CloudKid

Ghost Reporter
shaniac

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WHY NAPO: SHADOWVYPER

written by alliyah < PM: >

March is nearly over, and April is stretching across the horizon, and you know what that means! National Poetry Month is just about here, but before I switch over to coverage on Poetry Month, we have one last reflection on why people are doing NaPo. Throughout April, we were able to hear from fraey, bluewaterlily, and Tuckster - each sharing their perspective on why they decided to do National Poetry Month this year. Today we're hearing from @ShadowVyper about their motivation!

alliyah: So let's get right into the theme of this article - "Why NaPo?" - I know that you actually participated in National Poetry Month a few years back - do you remember why you initially decided to give it a try?

ShadowVyper: Honestly? I think it was peer pressure that made me decide to give it a shot. I had some poetry inclined friends who were helping me learn how to write poetry around the time, and they all wanted me to do it, so I figured I may as well give it a try!

A: After a few years have passed now since your first NaPo experience, why are you choosing to participate in it this year?

S:My first year trying NaPo was my senior year of high school, and though I really enjoyed it, I didn't really have much time for writing once I got to uni -- so any free moment I had to write I devoted to my novel, since prose is kind of my comfort zone. I also was on a bit of a hiatus from YWS during those years, so I didn't have the reminders and encouragement to participate, so it just didn't really happen. But, I'm back now! And I'm super excited to see how my skills as a poet have improved these past few years and see what I'm able to learn from all of the awesome poets that are hanging around YWS

A: Do you have any NaPo goals you want to achieve? Any number, technique, or style you're shooting for working towards?

S:I've really been enjoying toying around with definition poetry lately! It's a style that I was only very recently introduced to, but I've been finding it really rewarding to work with that style. I don't really have a goal for a number -- it would be awesome to do all thirty, but I honestly don't expect for that to happen, and that's okay! Whatever I get written is material that I don't currently have, and I'll be happy as long as I get at least a few poems written! My intention is to work around the theme of "academic angst" and keep going with the scientific and scholastic threads that you've been seeing surface in my poetry lately.

A: What's going to be your strategy for keeping up motivation to write throughout the month?

S:Write ins! I have several prompts for myself already involving various items and animals that I want to use as topics for my poems, but the encouragement I get during write ins definitely drive me to keep writing. It's awesome to get critiques and kind words in real-time from fellow writers, and the enthusiasm that other people have for their poetry is contagious.

A: Are there any April NaPo events that you are looking forward to or would like to see?

S:I'm definitely hoping to see lots of Poetry Jams! I think that frequent contact with other NaPo-ers will be invaluable to keep going strong all of April. I'm also personally planning to host a Poetree Games write in at some point in April, which is an interactive "workshop" for poetry where you come up with the general structure for a poem, swap aspects of that with another poet's structure, and then working on a poem from that newly swapped structural framework. It sounds like a lot of fun to me, and I hope there will be a big turn out when the day rolls around! ^-^

A: And last question! Could you share a quick poetry prompt for the Squills readers?

S:Ooh, that's a tough one! If anyone wanted to join me in my scientific poetry quest, I'd challenge you to write a poem about natural selection. That's one I'm really excited to write, personally! For everyone else write a poem from the perspective of a character in a story (a story you're writing yourself, or a book or movie that you enjoy!).

Thanks ShadowVyper! Here's a link to Shady's NaPo thread Academic Angst. And thank you readers, for joining with us on this Why NaPo series over March - look out for my next series where we'll follow highlights from what the NaPo poets are writing. If you'd like to join NaPo, or hear more about it, you can check out the Welcome Thread .

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CAMP NANO IN APRIL
written by fraey < PM: >

Hello readers! Despite April being known as the month of poetry, for the awesome thing that is National Poetry Writing Month, there is another event happening: Camp NaNo.

As a quick synopsis, Camp NaNo does take after the official National November Writing Month, as in it's all you can write, but there is a twist, unlike that the main goal is 50,000 words for the normal event. Here, the writer can pick whatever goal they want, be it 10,000 words, 500 minutes, or whatever combination they want to shoot for.

I bring this up just to let users on here know that there's another fun alternative activity to do, if you could be waiting for a chance to start up a new project or rewrite something old, or make a script, or whatever your heart desires. Prose is a whole lot of fun, as well, so, if poetry isn't your choice of work.

Either way, I'll be trying to do both this coming April, with a new novel idea for Camp NaNo, and a flower-themed project for NaPo. Hope this sparked your interest in one or both of these great events! Good luck to all users participating!

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:22 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@LarrisonOrdinarison has completed their first week on the site by writing so many reviews that they already have their first star! Head on over to their wall to congratulate them for the achievement!

@shipra10 has also started off their time as a YWSer strong with a bunch of reviews, earning their first review star and doing even more than that! Definitely head on over and congratulate them for their review star as well!

@Requiem1 hopped right into the community by posting a thread in The Lounge introducing themselves and asking for advice on how to get started writing. Head on over to say hi and offer some friendly pointers!

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@ThatGeekyNobody • @noelvsilvaman • @halslister • @tonicburns • @axeky • @umidykyko • @osafunim • @okihor • @Blairwood • @uqoruw • @yfofihiwu • @futiledevices • @yvenos • @aramicy • @azodomiv • @uvycav • @bigmajkithat198 • @nataliepjackson• @ylucad • @MikeAndrews • @Starr • @ugaquda • @chxrryblxssxms • @upicusy • @eciqi • @idetyg • @ezasucu • @mollytaylor1965 • @8giannae6591er2 • @WodaZeStudni • @ojiviso • @okujov • @7sophiee623tN9 • @brettfcollins • @idymasolu • @yvonnefburgess • @avoqosy • @itynahe • @ycepow • @2harpere31100gh3 • @oqohoku • @lolitatch565492 • @uruzed • @ofymygo • @ecyxi • @monsterwithavoid@jn1117@sarahelaebrak@41LL0N@amani@fatgay222 • @axomigu • @jeeremyon188 • @yruhopic • @Darmaster • @Mairaarif • @ozyhuh • @oqesipoko • @acazexu • @otyjuvo • @3lydiac5791hh1 • @rochellemcollins • @evajiji • @winifredthogan • @ewiwizar • @oruvuho • @ikitahy • @onyvuqy • @gilbertotwalters • @everettwcook • @owaqaqil • @iwupyzyz • @evymoguh • @ofozig • @pacific2016 • @axykuni • @ifomydy • @ixime • @odetopi • @yjini • @ohotugo • @yxyvo • @mabeluhiggins • @ipobyfag • @MaggieAlex123 • @oxejegyg • @ugopis • @SelenaH@PlutonianLullaby • @6sophiec991wN • @7lydiac5322gb0 • @valerieasimpson • @4harperc911tr1 • @8taylorc713wh4 • @Myf@ksawery41yc@itsCate@Flyingsquirrel42 • @mauriciohelton • @youngkeeton • @mindywcarlson • @hunggoff • @brookeallo

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NAPO HIGHLIGHTS

written by alliyah < PM: >

It was the first week of National Poetry Month this week and I'm picking up my NaPo Highlights series again. Each week in April I'll be checking out the NaPo threads and then bringing some of my favorites here to highlight the talented poets!

(blood is not a war cry, and i
read it in the stars that
the troops are
coming home. light a
candle for every card
i find--the fool is only
a fool if he
keeps his
eyes on the ground.)

@Sachiko Poem 1: a planet rising darkly is a mirror in reverse

restlessness churning in your bones, buzzing
like a hive of bees with their stingers ready
but you are used a honey-combed existence,
a hive consciousness packed into every brain cell

@bluewaterlily Poem 3: to bend shadows into light

@Sonder incubation

Like a blooming rose,
That won’t burn out,
To ash and smoke,
It will be,
You,

@EagleFly Like a Rose

@Arcticus Day #5 : broken windowpanes

you're the summer breeze that chills the air
the secret haunting
memories crystallise within the haze
forest run ablaze
in the deep and winding
black and brisk and blinding
blue and white and burning flame

@Tenyo Poem #1 : I think we need to be more decisive

we're simply watching the grains
of sand slip through the hourglass,
running our hands through
the broken shards of glass
as we bide my time

@Magestorrow k: a magician's tale

And there we have it, the first week is in the books! It's an impressive start so far, with quite a few gems. Take some time and read through The NaPo Threads because there's many more beautiful poems in addition to these ones. If the thread is marked in green "Comments Welcome" you could even leave some of your thoughts to encourage the authors as they start off their writing journeys for the month! Remember if you manage to leave 30 Comments you can even collect your comments to earn the Garden Challenge Badge

Also if there's a poem or some verses you'd like to see featured in next week's issue, send a PM my way and it might just appear in next week's Squills edition.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

OPINION: THE MUELLER REPORT
written by LordStar< PM: >

For the American people, the Mueller Report has been long awaited on all fronts. The left were hoping for conviction; the right were hoping for exoneration. But instead of either, we got a summary of the report and even more questions.

According to the summary of Attorney General Barr, the report found no evidence of collusion or conspiracy between President Trump and Russia. However, the report did not exonerate Trump of obstruction of justice charges. What does that mean? That Mueller could not definitively convict Trump, and left it, essentially, up to Barr to make that decision. The question many have is whether or not Barr should have made that decision.

To begin with many are examining Barr's possible bias towards Trump. Barr was hired as Attorney General by President Trump during the Mueller investigation. It makes sense that Barr wouldn't want to implicate his employer if he didn't have to.

Furthermore, several details still seem suspicious to me. For instance, even if there is no collusion between Trump and Russia, that doesn't explain Trump's affinity for both Russia and Putin; his real estate in Moscow, bought during his presidential campaign; confiscating notes from his interpreter after a Putin-Trump meeting; having a meeting with Putin with no US advisors; defending Putin/Russia in direct conflict with the US's own intelligence agencies. President Trump seems to be a man for Russia, does he not?

Secondly, the actual full Mueller report has yet to be released. If that report truly exonerated Trump, the full report would have been made available to the American people by now, not the SparkNotes version.

Moreover, it's still worrisome that a half dozen former Trump aides were indicted or convicted of crimes, most for conspiracy or lying to investigators.

Overall, Trump's claim of being 'exonerated of all charges' is untruthful. There still comes the question of obstruction of justice, of every time he has interfered with the Mueller investigation.

So what next? Possible Trump impeachment is now up in the air; with no conviction of collusion, the left loses a significant portion of argument. The American people await the full Mueller report. This ending is not definitive and there is still more to uncover. The American people wait.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Review Rampage

Do you like competitions? Do you like easy ways to make extra points? Then read on!

The #ReviewRampage is a competition hosted by @ShadowVyper and @Kirkiln that is a Go-At-Your-Own-Pace review challenge. You set your own review goals and wagers, then race against time to see if you can get done in time. Or, for the more competitive spirits out there, you can also duel against your fellow Rampagers.

Go check out the Q&A Forum for more information and then head on over to the Entry Forum to claim your place as a Rampager.

Get your Rampage on!

~~~

Want to be a part of Squills, the YWS newsletter? Perfect! We want you. You can find more information here, and you can apply now by sending a sample article to SquillsBot's PM.

~~~

fishsashimi welcomes you to the YWS Hunger Games Simulator! Have some fun and win some prizes! PM @fishsashimi with any questions you may have.

~~~

Calling All Knights of the Green Room!

Our Building Permit for completing Challenge Four: Restoring the Library expires May 2019. The Commander is requesting all available Knights to head to the Green Room to help. To find out more, check out the Commander's post in the Great Hall .

- The Commander

~~~

Do YOU want to join
the Knights of the Green Room?

The Knights of the Green Room are looking for some new recruits!

If you enjoy reviewing this may be the group for you!

For more information: KotGR Information
To declare you interest: Declare in the Great Hall .
If you have questions: Send a PM to Lieutenant Lizz (@LadyBird) or Knight Alliyah (@alliyah).

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Kirkiln • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505 • @BiscuitsLeGuin • @SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Querencia • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magestorrow • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • @outvaders • @inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsShiek • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond • @GodHatesShane • @shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess • @Traves • @JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Moo.
— Cow