z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/28/18 - 11/4/18

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Aley

General Editors
EternalRain
concord

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
LadyBird

Community Reporter
TheWeirdoFromBeyond

Poetry Enchantress
Aley
alliyah

Resources Reporter
BiscuitsLeGuin

Storybooks Status Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Writer's World Columnist
elysian

Anime Maniac
Kanome

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
WritingPrincess
concord

General Reporters
BiruKun
Clarity

Ghost Reporter
ShadowVyper
shaniac

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW: EROS

written by TheWeirdoFromBeyond< PM: >

We have another featured member for the month, the very amazing @ Eros. Here is what is they have to say to my questions.

Squills: Thanks for letting me interview you :D How did you react when you were told you are the featured member?

Eros: I was really surprised when I got that message actually... And when I read the reason why was I chosen for fm... Because Hall of the Fame was one of my oldessst dream and it is the Most Honorable title, Featured Member ... It was suddenly out of nowhere, totally unexpected and the feeling was really full of pleasure and satisfaction. I felt like my hard work really is fruitful.

S: You certainly deserve it. Why do you think you were chosen?

E: I think I am chosen because I kept writing almost regularly since the day I joined, May 2015. It's quite a long time and I was actively publishing works and of course reading everyone's work around and leaving behind some inspiring words for the writer along with any tips that I might have for them.
Moreover I feel I have improved a lot and developed my writing skills till date and observed that my works are loved by my regular readers. Keeping them updated whenever I post the sequel, so that they don't miss out anything in the story that they are loving to read.
I personally feel that the reviewers are the one who made me reach this beautiful and honorable title. They are the ones who are behind this success.

S: You have been around YWS for quite some time, what is something you have seen change about it through the years?

E: YWS is the same and I didn't see anything change over the years, except that chat bar that used to be here. I think the chat bar is now not here, rest everything is the same---The Christmas in July, the review days, it's awesome.
If these changes count, the usernames have changed a lot. Like last year, I wasn't here for a couple of months or so and it was difficult for me to really identify who was who. But I like that because it makes me do some research and identify the person correctly. Moreover, a few of my old friends are not on YWS. These things are changed about YWS.

S: What advice do you have for our readers?

E: I would say keep writing your thoughts and feelings even if you don't feel confident about writing it. Keep experimenting with the genres and get out of your comfort zone, trying to write something different-- say a different genre or style; if you keep writing short stories, try a poem sometimes--- will be difficult, but just do it. That's the way you can improve your overall writing skills. Apart from writing, it is very essential to keep reading others' works, so you get to learn many new things.

S: That seems like great advice :D If you could, is there anything you would like to change about YWS?

E: I won't change anything about YWS. It's peeerfect!

S: What is the best thing about YWS?

E: I have written a whole article on this thing ...<3
I love the biiiig family of YWS who support each other, developing the skills of each other. I love the unity of this biiiiiig family, who not only helps in improving writing skills, but also the friends here are much more beautiful than the friends I can get in real life. They are here to hear each other's problems, providing solutions and inspiring everyone around. I admire Big Brother and all the administrators here, as they are running this whole website so smoothly. That must be a real great task to make such a website that is famous all over the globe. <3

This positive atmosphere, full of love and unity is what I like the most about YWS.

(you can find the mentioned article here: Young Writers Society is more than a website )

S: Anything else you would like to say before we wrap up this interview?

E: I have nothing to say ... I loved the whole interview process...

Thanks again Eros for having me interview you. If you haven't congratulated Eros for FM yet, you can drop by here: Featured Member Oct. 21st - Nov. 4th: Eros

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

HALLOWEEN CANDY REVIEWS

written by EternalRain < PM: >

My last year of trick or treating was my freshman year of high school (I’m a junior now). I was 14. Some people stop in middle school and some never stop, but for me, it felt right stopping there. By my sophomore year, I felt (personally) too old and decided to just stay home, pass out candy (we only got a few trick-or-treaters, but I got the rest of the candy - muahahaha), and watch The Corpse Bride. Did peer pressure play a bit of an influence? Yeah, probably.

Despite stopping trick-or-treating, don’t be mistaken that I don’t love candy. I LOVE it. At least some of it…. So I’m going to do a mini review of my favorite and not-so-favorite candies here. Please don’t get too mad at me.

• Milky Way
    It’s probably one of my favorite candies. A milky way candy bar has delicious combination of chocolate, caramel, and nougat - it’s soft, not too crunchy - but tastes so good. And they’re underrated, too. 12/10

• Snickers
    They’re pretty good. Not my favorite chocolate candy bar but I like them when I’m in need a crunch of peanuts with my candy. 7/10

• Kit-Kats
    If you don’t like Kit-Kats… well… who are you? Beautiful amount of chocolate with those cookie wafer things. And the way you can snap them in half… so inventive. 11/10

• Skittles
    I love and hate Skittles at the same time. Red, orange, and yellow and great flavors but I’m not so fond of purple and green (no shade). 7/10

• Sour-Patch Kids
    Sour then sweet. Pretty good. Blue ones are the best. 8/10

• Almond Joy
    Disgrace to candy, I’m sorry (coconut and almonds? No thanks). These all go to Dad. 0/10

• M&Ms
    Regular m&ms: they’re okay. Peanut m&ms: so good. That CRUNCH. That FLAVOR. Peanut m&ms are definitely up there on my favorites - which is a bit odd, since I’m really not a fan of peanut butter. 11/10 Peanut M&Ms, 6/10 regular.

• Candy-Corn
    Literally the worst. It has fabulous Halloween spirit and looks great (which is what is bumping it up from a -5 to a 0) but tastes terrible. 0/10

• Twix
    Easily one of the best. Not as good as Milky Ways because I’m not an absolute fan of the crunchy cookie, but there beautiful combination of the ingredients pulls it together. 10/10

• Starburst
    These are really good. I like both pink and yellow. It’s the red ones that aren’t as good (sorry. Though I will say the red ones are the juiciest). 8/10

• Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
    I personally am not a fan of these just because I don’t like peanut butter - however, I have a deep appreciation and respect for them. They’re one of the top most-loved candies. 6/10

And that’s the conclusion to my mini-reviews! Please remember everyone has their own opinions on candy! Whether you hate all candy, love it all, or only like some, everyone’s opinions are different. Hopefully I didn’t offend any of you of my hate for candy corn and Almond Joy. If I missed one of your favorite bars or candies - I’m sorry. There’s only so long I could make this article and there’s so many candies.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

PLANMO

written by TheWeirdoFromBeyond< PM: >

As November gets closer, NaNo participants get more ready then they will ever be, or at least they are supposed to. If you are anything like me boy I hope you aren't, you probably haven't even started yet. Luckily, we have YWS where we can plan together. The PlanMo club can be found here: The Official PlanMo Club .

Here is a quote from their about-

Want to join the party in planning and plotting your NaNo? Look no further, for the party is here for you! Between workshops, jams, and impromptu word wars, you're sure to get a head start on your NaNo like no year before!

This definitely sounds fun.

Right now, we have the Journal Challenge open. To enter, you have to create a thread in the forum of the club, give a short blurb about your NaNo project and then complete the given challenges, which you can find here: Journal Challenge for 2018

PlanMo is now almost over, and to all those participating, good luck. Weirdo out.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOME SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS

Written by LadyBird < PM: >

And now for something that is not completely different.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

TWO CENTS: A HALLOWEEN SPOOKY TRUE STORY

written by Aley < PM: >

Every Halloween I have a fight with my dad about who passes out candy. He wants me to do it because he wants me to do things for him, and I don't want to do it because I don't get any enjoyment out of passing out candy. It seems silly to pass out candy when I don't like passing out candy to me.

So, depending on how cold it is, my dad will pass out candy, or he'll force me to do it because he doesn't want to get cold but he doesn't want the kids to go without candy. Talk about bad luck that it's cold this year.

There was one year when it was pretty warm and my dad was passing out candy, and we have this wolf mask, and he dresses like a scarecrow, you know, flannel shirt, big gloves, jeans, boots, the whole nine yards, and sticks on this wolf mask and sits out in a chair like he is a scare crow. We always get a kick out of it when the kids come up to the door thinking that he's not a living person and he moves. But this year, he was sitting out in the grass with the bowl of candy, and he heard this step-step-step in the freshly fallen leaves, orange and red like the candy, so he waits for the kid to come around.

And waits.

And waits.

But the footsteps are gone and there isn't really anywhere to hide, so my dad expects to see someone behind him in our yard, and he turns to scare them by turning, but there's no scream.

And there's no person.

No one was there. He was alone.
So who had done the walking?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:44 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

DIXIE KITCHEN: 5 HALLOWEEN FOODS THAT NOBODY ASKED FOR

Written by LadyBird < PM: >

1. The Very Internet Famous Hissing Cockroach Cake
You can read all about it in this article because I don't want to go into much of an explanation.
The first line of the article describes it as:
This deceptive dessert by baker Katherine Dey may look exactly like a cockroach, but it's actually a cake full of Boston cream filling.

Because Boston Creme is really the type of filling I want to be thinking about while slicing into a cockroach. Some points for the realism but thanks no thanks.

2. Chest Burster Alien Macaroons
Why eat cute little green alien cookies on Halloween, when these bad boys exist? They're certainly one way to guarantee no one will be stealing your snacks.
Because they'll either have passed out or run away.
For a more crowd friendly version, by price and presentation, consider the X-Files Cookies recipe from Alison's Wonderland . That blog is also really cool for pop culture related recipes, so maybe keep an eye on it.

3. Pizza Skulls with an Unfortunate Colored Filling
Ever felt like cracking open someone's head?
Well, this recipe from the Plain Chicken blog can certainly help you out with that stress relief. The idea is cute and funny, but I have doubts over the sauce that was put in it. If you decide to make it, consider going with white sauce and maybe it'll cut down a bit on the screams from the church ladies.

4. Dessert Mice
We've all had a mishapen lamb cake around Easter or seen a dog with just a bit too much icing, but what about these chocolate mice from Delish ?
Put those rice krispies down, ma'am, and step away from the island.
I can see where they might be cute but I personally like to keep kitchen pests and the food I consume, very far away from each other.

5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Monsters
I mean from a title like that, you might think, "It could be worse?" Monster can mean a lot of different things, I get that. And considering what I normally share in this column, you're probably going to be expecting some cute little vampires or maybe a slightly scary pumpkin.
Guess again with this recipe from the Mothering blog . It's going to take more than a glass of milk to wipe these cookies away from my mind.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FUN SPOOKY HALLOWEEN TIMES

written by concord < PM: >

Hello there, and welcome to another piece of the Squills Halloween Issue!

To start off this discussion of what Halloween is to me, I present an anecdote:

I grew up on a cul-de-sac, which means that my street ended in a half-circle and the people who drove down it usually did so to turn around. In addition, a decent amount of homes and an apartment complex was temporary housing, so my neighbors changed a lot. There was also only one light post on the entire part of my street, mostly covered by my next-door neighbor’s very large tree.

We never really got trick-or-treaters. I think a couple of years at a very young age, we might have gotten visitors, and then this one random year in like sixth grade we got this adorable tween who actually climbed our fairly long staircase to our door. I almost tripped trying to open the door because I was happy to have someone acknowledge our existence on Halloween.

I think that last year we had like three kids which we weren’t expecting at all, but they got fun-sized Snickers bars, so I think they were the real winners.

As a child, I dressed up for Halloween, for sure. I was a clown (before I became scared of clowns), a panda bear (before I started liking red pandas more) and a princess. For about three years in a row, because I had a magical chest of like five scratchy yet adorable dresses I never wanted to get rid of.

Until I was much too big for them and couldn’t fit anymore.

My best costume was probably the vampire dress I got I think from my mom’s work, as I wore it to a local college football game. I forget what we were doing on actual Halloween, but that was my time to wear a costume if I wanted to, and preteen-age me wanted to do it.

Incidentally, there was another person who dressed up, in one of those plain, one-colored suits, except according to my parents, that’s all they wore. They realized that after the person ran all along the bleachers in the entire stadium.

I grew a little dis-trustworthy of people who wore those costumes for a while after that.

To be honest, though, I grew out of Halloween by the time I pretty much hit high school, if not earlier than that, but I do still have fun putting up decorations in my house and get some candy just in case, as my mom and I will definitely be eating the leftovers.

I hope you’ve all had fun with Halloween yourselves in the past, and here’s to a great one next week!

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A HALLOWEEN PERSPECTIVE: REFORMATION DAY

written by alliyah < PM: >

This week the editors asked the Squills crew to consider the ways that they celebrate Halloween. For me, I'm past the age of getting into Trick-or-Treating (except I will be purchasing some candy for my own eating, but that's another story). There is something that is very special for me for Halloween though, and that's The Reformation! For my regular column readers, you'll remember my Easter Perspective from a religious point of view earlier this year. The same qualifiers apply to this article, because religion is a very diverse topic not all will celebrate or believe the same way that I describe, and this is just my own perspective that I am speaking to.

So what is Reformation Day?
It is the celebration, celebrated by many Protestant Christians, although particularly Lutherans, recognizing Martin Luther's reforming the church. Martin Luther, posted his 95-theses or complains/allegations against the church practices of the time on October 31, 1517 - so Reformation Sunday falls on whichever Sunday is closest to October 31. It was a bit more exciting last year, because churches actually celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.

Why is the Reformation significant?
Well Luther's questions and writings ended up really stirring up the church in his time and caused Western Christianity to split up. Luther raised important considerations about clerical power and abuses, scriptural authority, and the means of salvation. Beyond the impact to individual believers, Luther's movement had a lot of political implications as there were now more options for rulers to align with. Luther's main concern was with how the Gospel of Christ was being communicated to the people of the day, he wanted a larger emphasis on Grace and the Forgiveness of Sins from Faith rather than our own Merit or Works.

What do you mean by "Celebrate?"
Well for starters I go to Church on Reformation Sunday, and everyone in the Congregation wears Red! It's a fun tradition that I look forward to. Because Martin Luther emphasized the necessity of congregations having access to scripture, my church also celebrates the Reformation by giving Bibles to the children of the church. So it's not quite a celebration of Martin Luther the man, but more of what he believed in, and how his views inspire our own personal faith.

A clarification that I'd like to make, is that although for some, Reformation Day is something to celebrate "leaving the Catholic Church" I definitely don't think of it that way, nor do most of the churches I've encountered. While in the past, Reformation Day, and pride in Protestant beliefs, sometimes brought with it an animosity towards Catholic folks and beliefs, that is thankfully much less present in current U.S. Protestantism. In fact, during the 500th anniversary of the Reformation last year, there were quite a few Catholic-Protestant dialogues opening up; where they discussed differences but also commonalities between their faith in a spirit of openness and mutual education.

Additional Information
While that's the main religious holiday I'll be observing this week. There are other important religious holidays out there too. For instance, All Saints or All Souls Day and Dia de los Muertos are coming up as well. If you want to share your holiday perspectives, whatever they might be, feel free to stop by Squills Author Page and let me know! I'd be happy to hear from any of you.

For more of the historical facts and figures National Geographic gives a neutral overview: How Martin Luther Started a Religious Revolution . If you're interested in the theological background I will just link you to the Book of Concord website.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A POETRY MOMENT: SYLVIA PLATH "LADY LAZARUS"

written by Aley < PM: >

Since Halloween is approaching, I thought I'd take a moment to give some love to some of the horror poets out there. One of which is Sylvia Plath. She was clinically depressed, and while that didn't always factor into her poetry, it did usually give her poetry a bitter dark flavor.

Warning: This poem is about suicide.

If you are ever feeling as though you need to talk about anything that you're feeling, or thoughts that are popping up, or even feelings that aren't going away, there are people who can help who are looking to help. Here is one of them: Crisis Text Line . They are prepared to help you through whatever you are going through, and I strongly encourage you to talk to them because sometimes just your friends aren't enough. Sometimes you need an outside perspective.

Now, onto the poem.

Lady Lazarus

Lady Lazarus
    BY SYLVIA PLATH
    I have done it again.
    One year in every ten
    I manage it——

A sort of walking miracle, my skin
    Bright as a Nazi lampshade,
    My right foot

A paperweight,
    My face a featureless, fine
    Jew linen.

Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?——

The nose, the eye pits, the full set of teeth?
    The sour breath
    Will vanish in a day.

Soon, soon the flesh
    The grave cave ate will be
    At home on me

And I a smiling woman.
    I am only thirty.
    And like the cat I have nine times to die.

This is Number Three.
    What a trash
    To annihilate each decade.

What a million filaments.
    The peanut-crunching crowd
    Shoves in to see

Them unwrap me hand and foot——
    The big strip tease.
    Gentlemen, ladies

These are my hands
    My knees.
    I may be skin and bone,

Nevertheless, I am the same, identical woman.
    The first time it happened I was ten.
    It was an accident.

The second time I meant
    To last it out and not come back at all.
    I rocked shut

As a seashell.
    They had to call and call
    And pick the worms off me like sticky pearls.

Dying
    Is an art, like everything else.
    I do it exceptionally well.

I do it so it feels like hell.
    I do it so it feels real.
    I guess you could say I’ve a call.

It’s easy enough to do it in a cell.
    It’s easy enough to do it and stay put.
    It’s the theatrical

Comeback in broad day
    To the same place, the same face, the same brute
    Amused shout:

‘A miracle!’
    That knocks me out.
    There is a charge

For the eyeing of my scars, there is a charge
    For the hearing of my heart——
    It really goes.

And there is a charge, a very large charge
    For a word or a touch
    Or a bit of blood

Or a piece of my hair or my clothes.
    So, so, Herr Doktor.
    So, Herr Enemy.

I am your opus,
    I am your valuable,
    The pure gold baby

That melts to a shriek.
    I turn and burn.
    Do not think I underestimate your great concern.

Ash, ash—
    You poke and stir.
    Flesh, bone, there is nothing there——

A cake of soap,
    A wedding ring,
    A gold filling.

Herr God, Herr Lucifer
    Beware
    Beware.

Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air.

Sylvia Plath did commit suicide. That is how she died, and this poem is looked at as a reflection of her thoughts on suicide, but I enjoy this poem because of the way that humor and that teasing voice is employed to make her words as creepy as they can get. Like Poe's A Tell Tale Heart, Plath uses the voice of the speaker to create a mystifying mix of believability and sanity with something that feels unnatural. She writes a good creepy poem. If you liked this poem, check out Mirror by Sylvia Plath

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Spooktober Poetry Contest

Write a Halloween Themed Poem to celebrate Spooktober and for a chance at these wonderful prizes!

1st Place ---------- 2000 points + Badge
2nd Place ----------- 1200 points + Badge
3rd Place ---------- 800 points + Badge

Deadline for entries is .

For the full guidelines check out the thread Here .

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omnom • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505 • @BiscuitsLeGuin • @SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Querencia • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @saen • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • @outvaders • @StormCloud • @OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsShiek • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor • @BiruKun • @TheWeirdoFromBeyond • @GodHatesShane • @shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria