z

Young Writers Society

Squills 9/23/18 - 9/30/18

Reviews: 0
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
Aley

General Editors
EternalRain
concord

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
LadyBird

Community Reporter
TheWeirdoFromBeyond

Poetry Enchantress
Aley
alliyah

Resources Reporter
BiscuitsLeGuin

Storybooks Status Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Writer's World Columnist
elysian

Anime Maniac
Kanome

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
WritingPrincess
concord

General Reporters
BiruKun
Clarity

Ghost Reporter
ShadowVyper
shaniac

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by Clarity < PM: >

At the time of writing this, there are 22 works with 0 reviews and 45 works with 1 review in the Green Room. Most of the works in here are chapters from novels, and our oldest work goes back to 19th August. That’s over a month old! Hesitance to review novels can be understandable when they’re already a few chapters in but remember! You do not need to have read the entirety of the novel to give a good critique. You might even pick up on something that can help the author that one of their subscribed readers/reviewers have missed! So, take a look at the list below and see if there’s anything you think you could help out with. :)

Connection – 7 by @fortis
    So this is the 7th Chapter out of 11 so far and it’s a Science Fiction Mystery/Suspense novel. Check out Chapter 1 if you fancy going from the start. I’ve not read this one myself yet but I’ve read some of fortis’ stuff before and they are a good author, so I’d imagine this one is definitely worth a read.

He came back to me by @myjaspercat
    This one has been in here since 28th August and is a realistic poem, as categorised by the author. It’s a longer poem with 15 stanzas, but don’t let that deter you! Pop along if you think you’ve got a good review to leave.

The demon maiden chapter eight by @Oxara
    Here’s one from 2nd September. This is an Action/Adventure Fantasy and this is the 8th chapter out of 9 so far. Check out Chapter one too to catch some backstory if you want to get caught up.

Campground by @Saen
    Here’s a realistic poem written about one of the simpler enjoyments in life – visiting a campground. It’s been in the Green Room since 9th September and could do with another lovely review or two.

Hunted 2.2 by @Noelle
    Check out this Fantasy Romance. It was published 9th September and hasn’t yet received any reviews. We’re not that far into it so if you wanted to go from the start, check out the Prologue !

Williwaw Chapter 7 by @Messenger
    Published 17th September, this is a more recent addition to the Green Room, but it still needs reviews! I’ve read this novel so far myself to I can definitely say it’s worth a read and a review. It’s an Action/Adventure Fantasy and has some super cool characters inside. Check out Chapter 1 too.
    This chapter has been rated 18+ for violence

The Day the World Fell Apart by @hermione2001
    This is a piece of Realistic Historical Fiction based around 9/11. This looks like the subject means a lot the author but they’ve been struggling with writers block so could really use your help!

thunderstorm by @Iggy
    Check out this recent piece by Iggy. It was written with the prompt of describing a thunderstorm, but she was not allowed to use the words: thunder, rain, storm, or umbrella. It’s also currently in the Literary Spotlight!

(The Fear of Open Spaces) by @Chaser
    This is a poem about agoraphobia. It’s a shorter poem of 4 stanzas. I think the imagery used is really good and is definitely worth reading. Pop along and take a look!

Enoch by @Sonder
    This is a short story about things you can find in the dumpster. The author says it is their attempt at flash fiction and was written from a prompt. Enjoy and leave a review if you think you’ve got some things to say!

So there’s a few of the works we’ve got floating in the Green Room. There is, of course, a lot more that we haven’t mentioned so please do go and take a look in there and see what you can pull a review together for! It would be wonderful to have the Green Room all bright and shiny with nothing in there by the end of #RevMo !

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:22 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

RIDDLE MASTER
written by WritingPrincess< PM: >

Another week, another Riddle Master! Let’s see who submitted answers this week: @Lael, @BlueAfrica, @Cloudkid, @TheBlueCat, @snowmonkey9 and @TheWeirdoFromBeyond. Well done you six! And the actual answers are:

There is a dead man in the middle of a field, nothing is around him and there are no footprints of any sort. There is an unopened package next to him. How did he die? HINT: As he approached the field he knew he was going to die.

Failed parachute

How is it possible to always find what you’re looking for in the last place you look?

You will always stop looking for something after you find it so the last place you look for something will be where you find it

What 5 letter word typed in all capital letters can be read the same upside down?

SWIMS

Flat as a leaf, round as a ring; Has two eyes, can't see a thing.
What is it?

A button

Who always stalks you during the day but never stalks you at night?

Your shadow

This week’s Riddle Master is...
snowmonkey9
Who got a total of...
5/5
Riddles correct! Well done!

Now for this week’s riddles...

I may be hard, I may be rough,
Bound in the round to claim a love.
What am I?

I can travel from there to here by disappearing, and here to there by reappearing.
What am I?

I make two people out of one. What am I?

What 4-letter word in all capital letters can be written forward, backward or upside down, and can still be read from left to right?

There was a man who was born before his father, killed his mother, and married his sister. Yet, there was nothing wrong with what he had done. How?

There they are! Make sure to fill out the Google Form here if you know any answers and good luck! Have a good week, riddlers!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THREE NEW RELEASE NOVELS READY AND WAITING FOR YOU
written by Clarity <PM:>

I’ve very recently rekindled my love for writing, and reading. I’ve somehow managed to get through 8 books this last month and it gave me an idea – while searching for new books for me to read, why don’t I advertise them to the rest of YWS?

So, I set off on my little mission and ordered samples of around 8 books to my kindle. The samples are usually 2-3 chapters from the book and gives a good idea of whether you’re going to be able to settle into it and dedicate your time to reading it. The following books are the 3 I liked the most, and I’ve already bought and started reading one of them!

Goodreads have been used as a source for Star Ratings and Brief Descriptions. The star ratings have been rounded to the nearest whole number.

1. Transcription by Kate Atkinson: Published September 2018

Genre: Historical Fiction

Star Rating:

Brief Description: In 1940, eighteen-year old Juliet Armstrong is reluctantly recruited into the world of espionage…Ten years later, now a radio producer at the BBC, Juliet is unexpectedly confronted by figures from her past. A different war is being fought now, on a different battleground, but Juliet finds herself once more under threat.

Clary’s Rating:

First Impressions: I’m going to give my first impression of this 3 stars because this isn’t a genre I usually read, but the description caught my eye and I thought, why not? I’ll try to remember to give an update once I get around to reading the entire thing... my score might have changed and Historical Fiction might become a new favourite!

2. Where Has Mummy Gone? By Cathy Glass: Published September 2018

Genre: True Story

Star Rating:

Brief Description: The true story of Melody, aged 8, the last of five siblings to be taken from her drug dependent single mother and brought into care…When Cathy is told about Melody’s terrible childhood, she is sure she’s heard it all before. But it isn’t long before she feels there is more going on than she or the social services are aware of. Although Melody is angry at having to leave her mother, as many children coming into care are, she also worries about her obsessively – far more than is usual.

Clary’s Rating:

First Impressions: So I was looking into Cathy Glass and it looks like the author uses this as a pseudonym, understandable since she writes true stories. Cathy has years of experience as a foster carer and most of her novels revolve around the stories from these. I ordered the sample and I was so intrigued by the end of it that I bought the full version straight away and carried on reading! I’m half-way through it now and I definitely recommend. My only issue is how Cathy sometimes writes like she is isn’t telling the story but like she’s having a conversation with the reader… it’s not a bad thing but it’s done differently to a lot of other things I’ve read. I do 100% recommend this book though!

3. The House Across the Street by Lesley Pearse: Published September 2018

Genre: Historical Mystery/Thriller

Star Rating:

Brief Description: Twenty-three year old Katy Speed is fascinated by the house across the street. The woman who lives there, Gloria, is the most glamorous neighbour on the avenue…Then one night, the house burns down. In the wreckage, the bodies of Gloria and her daughter are found. Katy is sure the unexplained visitors must be responsible until her father is arrested and charged with murder. Have the police arrested the correct person? Are the rest of the street safe? Can Katy find the truth before it's too late?

Clary’s Rating:

First Impressions: I love the sound of this. I can’t wait to get around to reading it. The sample I’ve read shows how Katy Speed is a ‘nosy’ neighbour, it gives off a good start to getting the know the personality of the protagonist. I like how it’s written and I may have just clicked the “buy full version” button…

I was originally going to give you 5 recommendations, but that’s a lot of information, and most people won’t get the chance to check out more than one of these a week anyways.

I really hope you consider reading 1, if not all of these books as they all seem amazing. I’ll be giving an update on ‘Where Has Mummy Gone?’ next week, and I think I’ll do a mini-series on the Cathy Glass novels.

Get in touch if you’ve read one of these, or have started to! I’d love to hear your opinions. You can PM me via the link at the start of my article.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WORD OF THE WEEK: AUSTERE

written by dwyn
< PM: >

Pronunciation: austere

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: severe or strict in manner, attitude, or appearance; having an extremely plain and simple style or appearance; having no comforts or luxuries.

Synonyms: severe, strict, frugal, plain, modest

Origin: From Middle English from Old French who got it from the Latin word ‘austerus.’ The Latin word came from the Greek word ‘austēros’ meaning ‘severe.’

Used in a Quote: “My apartment reflects my views as an architect. It is minimal, austere. The architecture doesn't impose itself upon you. The apartment is a stage for other things to take place.” ― Architect and writer, Bernard Tschumi

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Review Month Review Contest

@ReviewBuddy is hosting a Reviewing Contest along with the Better Review Bureau. Submit your best poetry and prose review anytime over the month of September for a chance at the prizes.

1st Place - 700 points
2nd Place - 500 points
3rd Place - 300 points

More information here: Review Month Review Contest .

THE COMMANDER:
CALLING ALL KNIGHTS

The Commander is challenging all Knights of the Green Room to pledge their support to reviewing 10 Green Room Reviews during the September Review Month.

For the good of the Green Room will you support this noble cause?

Tales from the Airwaves
Have Arrived

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omnom • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm@BrumalHunter@Arcticus • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505 • @BiscuitsLeGuin • @SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Querencia • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @saen • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • @outvaders • @StormCloud • @OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsShiek • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor • @BiruKun • @TheWeirdoFromBeyond • @GodHatesShane • @shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron