z

Young Writers Society

Squills 11/19/2017 - 11/25/2017

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:04 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Aley

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Quibbles Columnist

Writer's World Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
Nikayla
PrincessInk
Lumi
Iridescence
DragonNoir

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

See an empty position you'd like to fill? Find position descriptions and instructions to apply here .

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FROM THE DESK OF A KNIGHT: NANO ISN'T THE ONLY RODEO IN TOWN

written by LadyLizz< PM: >

What's NaNoWriMo to you? Answer me honestly.

Now there's 3 possible ways to tilt with an answer: yay, meh, or nay.
And that's just if you're actually participating in the crazy race. I am one of those people who was insane enough to think she could do a 50k novel, despite the fact November is my worst month for getting things done.

Find some comfort in the fact I've only written 14k total, which is still better than my previous attempts. I also know that I care too much for my plot line to try and write all of this at once, rushing interactions I'd like to ponder for awhile. Speed writing I can do in word wars, beating somebody in that moment, but long distance I don't like putting it all together in half quality.

There's not all together that much for me to say today because I haven't done much NaNo. But I'm here to give that reminder that you can write this at whatever pace you like and you can have whatever NaNo goal you like. Camp NaNo has that little zone where you can write 15k or 30k or more. Customize your goal however you like, we all still participated in the end.

And that's really all I've got to note this time around.
Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate and happy end of November for those who don't.
-Lady Lizz

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE WORD OF THE WEEK: SCIOLISM
written by megsug < PM: >
Pronunciation:sahy-uh-liz-uhm

Part of Language: Noun

Definition:1. Superficial knowledge

Used in a Sentence: Though the professor thinks he is smart, he only has sciolism.

Origin: The word was created in the early 1800s. The Latin sciol means for one who knows little.

Related Forms: sciolist – n.; sciolistic – adj.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POP CULTURE CORNER: #ALBUMOFTHEWEEK

written by LadyLizz< PM: >

There is a very lovely hashtag that has been going around for months, that many of us music buffs participate in, called #songoftheday . I may have taken it a step farther in creating #albumoftheweek , which nobody actually does outside of me, and it's a just a personal recommendation thing.

This week in my column, I guess I wanted to go over the ones I had done so far and what I'm planning on doing in the future. I mean really I just wanted to change up the formatting a bit and further search for a better way to piece it together.
A note: The links I'm including are to the full albums on YouTube but if you search for the individual songs, there are some really, really good live versions. Particularly Bobbie Gentry's Ode to Billie Joe or Niki Hoeky, you'll know the versions I'm talking about when you see them.

The road so far...

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints
If you're not aware, Strawberry here is a psychedelic rock band from the 60s and by the amount of exposure I've had to them, this was their best album. Best speaking profit wise and also the quality of the music, a bit like the Doors but almost kinder. I am really bad at justifying music to people and why they should give it a listen, but you really should.
Incense and Peppermints

Jim Croce - Photographs & Memories
Croce's music is something I can just love and not have to have a real reason for it. It just sounds good and right. Yet another one of those stars who was taken from us too soon (what was it with 70s musicians and flying during bad conditions) and this album is certainly his best hits. My favorite song is actually Rapid Roy but I might do a poll on my wall to see what the rest of y'all think.
Photographs & Memories

Leon Russel - Carney
If you don't know about the writer of Queen of the Roller Derby (though Croce actually has a similar song), our friendship will be called into question. And he did an album with Elton John semi-recently that I could have brought up, because it's good too, but out of his albums from the 70s, this one is most defining. If you've ever listened to Creedence Clearwater Revival, he's a bit like them, only a bit more refined. My favorite song on this one is Cajun Love Song.
Carney

Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe
She's one of those female pioneers in country music, most of her work fitting into a little category that they like to call Southern Gothic. A lot of times, you'll see her songs placed with Loretta Lynn's or Jeanne Riley's (Harper Valley PTA), or even Tanya Tucker's (Delta Dawn). All of the albums I chose are what I consider to be their best work and unlike the two other solo artists mentioned here, she's actually still alive. Anyways, her songs are rather lovely and inspiring, while still keeping a good beat and a reminder of what a past era was like.
Ode to Billie Joe

So there's the contribution I have for this week. We're coming up around the bend on Thanksgiving so maybe next week's article will start some momentum for the December holidays.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@lelu has seven reviews and has even started posting their own novel!

@Catalyn has introduced herself and her NaNo novel in the Welcome Mat! She also has gained her first review star, totaling her at 5 reviews.

@SpaceSnickerdoodle has done 10 reviews, and their work Falling Stars has reached the Literary Spotlight!

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@edwardjbellink • @livealittlebrighter@Ash173 • @admkoer • @MrsWheeler@Moose@DeathPetal@poemsnsuch@fergany@StellaBlue@IntroversionAlert@davetheman • @dmokerot • @ARMabry@haldemau22@Ajaynag@TAG12@kaynixay • @SolomonDaniel • @RogerJack • @superboythealien@DauntlessDagger@CorruptedArrow@marissaelizabeth@emrae20@zeboneal • @zaksporok • @Muzila2002@autumn55@prudence2061@Liesl • @croker • @adamya@kissmeorkillme@JaderTater11 • @hmoer • @Kr1411@RayneAgain@PeanutAnnie@poptanic@dreamandwrite • @AssasinOfficial • @SSpension • @SamAdams • @Vina

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:15 am
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There are no Shameless Plugs this week. Send us yours.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @Kosmos • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • @outvaders • @StormCycle • @pkidchick • @Stormcloud • @OreosAreLife • @SarukaTheHuman • @rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss