z

Young Writers Society

Squills 5/7/2017 - 5/21/2017

Reviews: 0
Wed May 17, 2017 1:41 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Aley

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
marmalade
Casanova

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Quibbles Columnist

Writer's World Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent
Mea
EternalRain

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
Nikayla
PrincessInk

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

See an empty position you'd like to fill? Find position descriptions and instructions to apply here .

Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES
written by EternalRain < PM: >

With May the start of this week, many new things have pooped up around YWS. There’s the short story month challenge, and: #May100.

What’s this #May100 hashtag you keep seeing everywhere? Well, many members have decided to shoot for 100 reviews in the month of May. @Sheyren has 5 reviews 2 days in and @Hannah has 10. Everyone is off to a great start!

Another new hashtag that’s popped up this week is #fivefearsofmine , which is pretty straightforward. @featherstone9086 has a fear of needles. Something potentially poking into you? Not fun!

In other news, @Audy is flying to San Diego soon, @FairyLight likes it when the moon looks like a toenail (who doesn’t?), @megsug got to do the hokey pokey with a bunch of teens for a school project, and @LadyLizzLovelace has an aunt with 35 cats.

Yet another hashtag is #10thingsaboutme /#10factsaboutme. One of @PrincessInk’s facts about herself is that one of her favorite science topics is molecular biology. @Frinderman was born in the middle of a blizzard, and @honeymoon’s favorite Disney Princess is Rapunzel.

On the topic of Disney, @BlueAfrica is rewatching Disney sequels, starting with Atlantis 2: Milos Return.

@MJTucker’s local library has no copies of the Maze Runner, but has ten copies of each of the HUnger Games books!

@VegasLight’s ancestor is Pocahontas, which is pretty amazing!

And to end our week we have a reminder from @marms, when it comes to writing:

it's not about the length it's about getting the story out.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

RANDOMOSITY: SHORTS
written by Lumi < PM: >

Wa-wa-wa-welcome to Randomosity, where we find Random people in Random places across the YWS city and ask them your burning questions. Sometimes they're silly, but sometimes they burn too much. Today, we felt the burn as we encountered DragonNoir and LadyLizzLovelace to talk about Short Stories, the hot topic of May! Help me set our scene as we arrive in a crowded Red Lobster! But there's an empty seat beside our first victim of journalism!

Please help me welcome my first subject of speculation, @DragonNoir!

Squills: So Dragon, I hear from very reliable sources that you are a big fan of fiction and short stories in general. Can you explore that a little? Give me the deep-down knitty-gritty?

DragonNoir: Hello! Well, I like fiction because it goes past basic logic of the real world outside. It gives the writer full freedom to write about whatever they want to write about. As you stated, I also like short stories, which I like because they can be challenging to write and also writing them doesn't get as boring like with writing a novel.

S: Whew! You're going to create an angry mob outside the Squills Office with that answer, sir! I like it! Now, with short stories--they've never been my forte--I understand that you need a bit of talent to get everything to fit together in such a tight space while still giving that juicy lobster-meat detail that everyone loves. How do you go about this in your writing?

D: Well, it does take a bit of good vocabulary choices, as well as a very clear idea of what you're writing about, then everything gets easier. Details are also important, since a short story doesn't go on for ten pages, so the writer needs to paint as clear a picture for the reader as possible. However, you shouldn't try to go over the top with descriptions and complicated words, otherwise the reader will just get bored of not being able to understand or picture what's written down.

S: Very, very solid advice! My final question comes to us from Twitter (God forbid someone actually mail a letter in these days) and reads: "Dear guest, I'm trying to write a short story, but I've written myself into a corner. I don't want to seem like I'm pulling a God move to get them out. What techniques would you suggest for a tough plot?"

D: I would suggest trying to absolutely demolish the reader's emotions, if you're writing that kind of stuff. Of course, you have to have a good idea of what you plan to happen in that space of time. First of all, think of what's going wrong. Try looking at the characters' personality traits and how they would react to a certain stimulus. After that, maybe try looking at what happens during the story, is there anything which doesn't have a lot of importance in there, or something which can be easily removed without you having to make any huge changes in your plot. If all of that fails, then you're probably writing something you are not ready to write yet, or the topic you chose is too complex. But by all means, try your hardest to find a way around this without making any very fatal moves which could impact the reader's opinion negatively.

S: That's...wow! You're basically reviewing a hypothetical story we got from a hypothetical tweet! We don't even use Twitter here! Wow! And the advice is concrete, too! I certainly hope you're taking part in Show Us Your Shorts Month. But, YWSers, I have to get DragonNoir back to the Red Lobster before his salad gets warm. Thank you for your time, wise Dragon, and until next time, stay random!

Our second guest comes to us from the Knights of the Green Room, the Slaying Lady herself--fresh from the bowling alley where we found her eating a corn dog off her jousting lance: @LadyLizzLovelace!

Squills: Now Liz, folks across the realm are raaaaaaving to know about Shorts! "Shorts and Poems!" they shout! But we covered so much poetry last month, I think it's high time we give prose The Rose (get it? It's a Bachelor joke!) So Liz, let's start off with some things that inspire y--no, not you. Tell me some things to inspire me.

Liz: In the way that we saw early during NaPo, that there are so many different types of prompts, many of them still fit for short stories. And a really good thing to write shorts off of, is certain lines of poetry or entire poems themselves that you like. I don't really like written prompts that much, I rather prefer music or pictures or just staring out window at random things. It's a lot of slowing down and looking at the many different things running by you, and just finding inspiration in one thing. Perhaps it's a leaf falling off a tree in a certain way or a bird sitting on your window, but I find the best way to write really creative stories, is to just look at what has already been created around you.

S: So that's why Abu took the big red jewel in Aladdin?! I've always wondered. Silly monkey. But. To our questions. Our first comes from the land down under, where they want to know: "Okay, okay. If I'm writing a short with emotions and places and people and things, how many characters is too many characters to have good characters?" Signed, Iwantgoodcharactersm8.

L: A lot of it depends on the circumstances and the emotional situation you're plunging the characters into. If you're trying to do like a close knit, very deep and emotional and involves a bit of crying (and as long as it's not an intervention), I'd say two characters. That gives you enough space to develop each of these precious fictional beings in such a short amount of time.
Time is really the main thing to worry about and how far you want the characters to go within the short. If you've only got 1 or 2 thousand, don't go with more than 1 or 2 characters if you want them to be fully known. But if you're leaning more towards these anonymous (still powerful) emotions, 3 or 4 can be placed in there. So bottom line is: think about how long it's gonna be, how many characters you have thought out and how many emotional periods they're going to have. And if you find the formula isn't working. either cut characters or add words.

S: I hate to be the one to admit I'm crying, but that answer was rather emotional--and insightful. You're not far away from your corn dog on a jousting lance, I promise--just one more question for our readers and you're free. This one comes from Big Spicy from the Storybook section. "Dear Randomosity Guest," (that's you, Liz!) "I have major pacing issues, and I need them to take a swim with the fishes, if you get my drift. I hear you guyses are the oneses to talk to t'make that happen. Wadda ya say?"

L: The secret to pacing is relatively chill because it is to basically just chill. I mean there are slight cases where you're a bit too cool and slow but for the most part, people are rolling down the highway at 95 mph and the sirens are going. chill. Most pacing just needs to slow down a bit and examine what's happening. Writers often cruise past critical details because they think they just have to rush, rush, rush to the final marker and get past the checkered flag first.
And even if you have an overall pace under control, there's still the specific moments going on where you need to speed up and slow down accordingly. Tense and emotionally charge moment between two characters? Slow down and describe it in detail. Slightly boring but important to the progression of the story hours on the highway? Put the pedal to the metal darlings.

S: I personally took quite a bit away from that, and also personally loved the driving metaphors. Vroom, Liz. Vroom. Unfortunately for our readers, that's all the time we have for today, so I must give you back your corn dog on your jousting lance and bid you a good day bowling. Any parting words?

L: Always consider your characters before you put them through too much because you may eventually need them for another story.

S: Boom.

You can follow @LadyLizzLovelace by visiting her profile, and follow @DragonNoir by visiting his profile, respectively by the tags. We loved having our guests today and we hope you all have an eventful and wonderful Show Us Your Shorts Month. Follow the action by the hashtag #showusyourshorts. And remember, readers: Stay Random.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 am
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There were no Shameless Plugs this week. Send us yours.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @Kosmos • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • outvaders • @StormCycle • @pkidchick • Stormcloud • @OreosAreLife • @SarukaTheHuman

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu