z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/2/2016 - 10/9/2016

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:32 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Lavvie

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
AliceAfternoon

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Writer's World Columnist
Lightsong

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master

General Reporters
Morrigan

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:36 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FM INTERVIEW
written by Gravity < PM: >

Hello fellow Squillsians!

T’is Gravity bringing you the latest FM article.

You know her as the girl who never backs down from a review, the sister of @ tgirly and, last but not least, this week’s featured member!!! That’s right, ladies and gentlemen, This week’s interview is with @ alliyah.

*cues round of applause*

Squills: Hey there alliyah, just wanted to congratulate you on being featured member. Do you mind answering a few questions for Squills?

alliyah: Sure :)

S: How does it feel to be featured member?

a: It feels a little crazy to have been selected for Featured Member. I've been on YWS for a sort of long time (I joined all the way back in 2012) and I look up to so many other members here, that I'm honestly humbled to have been chosen. I was sitting with some classmates when I found out and I was like “WHAT?! I’m a featured member!” and they were not YWS people so they didn’t know what the meant… so, yeah, I was and am very excited.

S: If you could choose another YWSer to be the next featured member, who would it be and why?

a: If I could choose another YWS member to be the next featured member it would without a doubt be tgirly . For those that don’t know, @ tgirly is actually my sister, and she’s the one who introduced me to YWS in the first place. I really admire her writing style as well as her kind but always helpful reviews. She is just a wonderful human being.

S: What kinds of things do you think you did to contribute to your accomplishment?

a: There's a few things that I think probably contributed to me being selected. 1) I review a ton! And the reviews I write are generally, I like to think, pretty thorough. If you don't review a lot on YWS, you are really missing out with being able to read and analyze all of the wonderful work we have on this site. 2) I love new members! Almost every time I log in I try to see if there are new members and offer them a welcome and a helping hand if they need it. I know I appreciated being shown the ropes as a new member, so I try to help the new members out if I can. 3) I write good poetry... once in a while? Ha, I've had a featured work now and again. Although, it wouldn't be nearly as good without having the wonderful input of other YWS users through their ever-present comments and reviews.

S: Writing on youngwriterssociety is a team effort, who are the people on YWS that inspire you to be the best member of the writing community you can possibly be?

a: EVERYONE! Honestly there's so many great people here that it'd be impossible to name them all. A few that standout as really awesome members:
Hannah was so awesome with the Knights of the Green Room and quite a review warrior. @ Iggy, @ Mea, @ Rydia are always just so super involved in YWS and I’m glad that we have so many people like them to keep everything running smoothly (and of course @ Nate!). @ Mage is always fabulous at welcoming new members and reviewing. @ CHRISSY321 is a really friendly member. @ pinkiegirl13 is no longer-active, but was an inspiration in how to just be yourself and write about what makes you unique, no matter what others think. tgirly is also just an awesome inspiration in writing poetry and participating on YWS in general.

S: Is there anybody else you would like to shout-out?

a: Honestly thank you to all the YWSers for your honest and helpful reviews that you’ve given me throughout the years! Being in a community of such great authors, has helped my writing in so many ways.

Shout-out to @ Gravity for the nice interview and thanks Squills for always posting interesting and informative things for us to read about!

S: Aww, it was a pleasure. Thanks for your time.

a: No problem :)

Well, folks, that was your weekly FM interview. If you get the chance you should pop on over to alliyah’s profile page and thank her for all her hard work :)

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

PAGE BY PAGE
written by Holysocks < PM: >

This month, in your novel news: we’re excited about NaNoWriMo!

September is out! October is in! That means there’s only one month until National Novel Writing Month (NaNo)! If you’ve never heard of NaNo before, it happens in the month of November and participants try to write fifty thousand words in one month. Sounds crazy? It is. However it’s a very rewarding experience to even get ten thousand words out of the month. In NaNo, quality doesn’t matter that much, the point is to get out a rough (and sometimes very very rough) first draft! I don’t know about you but I’m stoked. Now might be a good time to start thinking about novel ideas!

The Green Room I imagine will get replenished with plenty of novel chapters fresh off the presses, so there will be lots to review again!- If you still have energy after Review Month!

NaNo isn’t just good for your writing though, it’s really awesome for making friends, too. So if you’re someone that feels you can’t seem to break into the tight peer groups on YWS, NaNo is a great time of year! You see, in NaNo people like to form sort of “teams” called cabins- they’re not actually really teams I guess, but they talk about how their novels are going with each other, encourage each other, and maybe play some Word Wars (if you’re not familiar with Word Wars, stop by Chat during November- if there’s none going on there will probably be people very much willing to War you and tell you what it’s all about)! Even if you think you’re good for friends, it really neat to spend time with those friends doing what writers were built to do!

I mean, I can almost guarantee you’ll still meet a bunch of awesome people or get to know your friends better- because NaNo, my friend, NaNo is a vulnerable month. NaNo is a time where you learn to ditch the little perfectionist living in your mind. NaNo is a time when you discover what you’re capable of, and how long a human being can survive without sleep. NaNo is a time when writers come together (more so than ever) to help each other grow.

I’m looking forward to writing with you!

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THREE GUESTS, THREE QUESTIONS
REVMO

written by marmalade < PM: >

Review Month a.k.a. RevMo is a fun thing that just ended. Many people participated in this event and worked hard to help clear out the Green Room. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to interview three amazing YWSers that have or are taking part in RevMo. A huge thanks to Dracula, Kaos, and BlueAfrica.

My first interview was with Dracula:

Squills: Can you do your best to explain RevMo and why you chose to do it? Why do you think it's important?

Dracula: Revmo is a Yewis-only event where participants aim to write fifty reviews in one month. It's a great way to ensure that works lacking in reviews get the love they deserve.

S: Did you enjoy RevMo? Would you say that it was easy?

D: At times I did, and at times I was all reviewed-out and just wanted to quit and go watch cat videos. I suppose it was easy, one or two reviews a day are not hard to write. It's just difficult to overcome that inevitable procrastination that we all feel at times.

S: Tips for people wanting to participate in RevMo?

D: Just do it! Sit yourself in front of your computer, bring up some works, and don't let your bottom move from the chair until you've written some reviews!

My next interview was with Kaos:

Squills: Can you do your best to explain RevMo and why you chose to do it? Why do you think it's important?

Kaos: Revmo is an event here on YWS where you try to do 50 reviews in one month, this month being the month of November. I chose to do it as I'm trying to get towards my fifth star and have been for awhile now, but there are other reasons as to why it's important. The reviews go towards someone's work to help them improve. Think about how many people would be helped if you just took a half hour or so out of your day to do this.

K: I did enjoy doing Revmo as I have been trying to help others out more around the site and reviewing seems like a great way to do that! It's also fun in general for reviewing if you're aiming your goal at the review stars. Some days I didn't feel like doing it even though it was rather easy for me, but it made me feel like I did /something/ that day even if I wrote a single review.

K: Take your time on reviewing. You're reviewing for another person and trying to give them advice on how to become a better writer. You're giving your advice out. My final advice is to make goals for yourself each day, whether it be just one review or five! Thanks for having me talk about Revmo.

My next interview was with BlueAfrica:

BlueAfrica: RevMo is like National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) but for writing reviews. I don't do tons of reviews (unless I have things to post), so I do RevMo to get a little more involved on the site and rack up my points for such a time as I need them for something. It's a good way to get people reviewing in general because of the NaNoWriMo-like enthusiasm that goes along with it.

B: I don't know if RevMo was easy in general, but it was easy enough for me. Every evening, I'd get online and find something I thought I'd like to review, always from the Green Room, and I'd copy it into a Word document. Then I'd read and review it the next day at work, whenever I took a break. So when I got home, I'd already have a couple reviews all ready to post--definitely, the best option for me, since at work I'm already in a "doing work" mindset and there are a lot fewer distractions than home. So I was already to nearly fifty reviews with a week left in September.

B: Go for the Green Room. It helps clear things out, it earns you more points, and you can write a review without worrying that you're just repeating things five other people have already said.

That’s it for the interviews! I hope more people will participate in RevMo next time (I know I’ll give it a try).

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Squills Needs You!

That's all folks! Now send us yours.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles • @clogs • @MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315 • @Dinosaur • @willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"