z

Young Writers Society

Squills 3/27/2016 - 4/2/2016

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
            BlueAfrica

General Editors
            Gravity
            megsug
            Lavvie

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
            SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
          Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
     Elysium

Resources Reporter
            PretzelStick

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
            Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
            megsug

The Adventurer
            BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
            Blackwood
            Gravity

Code Master

General Reporters

Guest Contributor
Aley

Past Editors-in-Chief
            GriffinKeeper
            AlfredSymon
            Iggy
            Hannah
     ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:40 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW
written by Lavvie  < PM: >

From March 7th until March 21st, YWS was very lucky to celebrate @CHRISSY321 as its featured member! Her enthusiasm on the site shines through in her reviews and interactions with fellow users. With her spunk and energy, we’re sure to see more great things from such a wonderful member!

Squills: Congratulations on being the Featured Member for March 7th to 21st! What was your initial reaction upon hearing the great news?

CHRISSY321: I was in disbelief! I have always wanted to be a featured member, and seeing my name on the homepage that day was like a dream come true. YWS has literally been my favorite website ever since I signed on, and being recognized as FM was huge to me! :)

S: It must have been very exciting! Why do you think you were chosen to be the featured member?

C: I think it is because I decided that is I should become a more active member since I was pretty dormant for a while, and I started doing some good reviews everyday. I did Team Tortoise to help me get to my 4th star, and I just try to be a good addition to the site!

S: Well, I think you’re doing a great job of it all! What are some of your favourite things to do on YWS?

C: Hmmm, I actually kinda like trolling on the people page. :P I love getting to know my fellow friends, and I can check on them and offer personal advice and support! I also just love reading all of these amazing works!

S: Speaking of the people page, the #tenrandomfactsaboutme trend is taking YWS by storm. Do you have a random fun fact that you would like to share?

C: I am a really interesting person! It is hard to pick one good fact about me, but here it is: I am a baby/animal magnet! For the longest time, I have always enjoyed taking care of animals and younger children and they have always loved me! This is the reason why when I grow up, I plan to be a teacher, and of course an author on the side ;)

S: Cool! How do you think being a featured member will impact the rest of your time as a member of YWS?

C: I think it kind of showed me the way I should always try to be on YWS. It encourages me to keep trying and reviewing on here. I now don’t want to disgrace my honor as being FM for this past while; I want to live up to its name!

S: Well said! Finally, do you have any tips for someone who aspires to be the featured member one day?

C: I suggest you take a look at the Green Room. It is a great place to share your works, but it needs to work both ways! You need to try and help your other fellow writers on here and they would help you. Not only are you helping people who have been waiting awhile in the green room, but you also rack up some more points to use towards your own writing! Also just try to be an all-around kind person: welcome new members, chat with some writers, give advice! There are many clubs and groups on here to be a part of – the site is your oyster! ^^ Take advantage of being able to be on a wonderful site such as this one! <3

S: Those are some great tips. Thank you so much for your time!

C: No, thank YOU! :D

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:40 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Ten Random Facts About You Trend!
written by Pretzelstick < PM: >

Unless you've been living under a rock, or simply not that active on YWS for the last week or so, you'd discover that the People's tab is exploding with #tenrandomfactsaboutme hashtag that has been circling around as more and more people get onto the bandwagon. I personally am literally addicted to reading this, in fact I've been glued to the People's tab on my phone since the beginning of the week.

@Deanie introduced YWS with this hashtag and this message:

Gonna share a random fact about me each day for the next ten days so you all can know some random stuff about me. There is no rhyme or reason to this. xD Want to join me? Use #tenrandomfactsaboutme and just post one a day.

And boy did we all join her. There is currently about 12 Society People pages just on this hashtag, and I'm convinced that both this hashtag and this article will be history for us oldies on here. xD

For this article I will be giving out awards to all different kinds of postings that I get, so this articles shall be quite interesting! You should definitely go on these people's walls and like their posts and congratulate them on winning those specific awards! (I just honestly thought that this was such a fun thing to do!)

First off, let's start off at the basis and the foundation behind this whole challenge,

1.The Most Random award goes to @EverWinter

I always talk about cake. All the time. But I never eat it. I'm not really a fan of eating cake. Cupcakes, I will eat. So that's a weird little quirk of mine.

2. Food-criticy award goes to @Morrigan:

My favorite food is grilled pineapple over vanilla ice cream. You slice up some nice, fresh pineapple, and put it on the grill until the sugars caramelize just a little. Don't burn it-- just so there's a golden crisp around the edges, then serve over a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt. Mmm.

3. Most Childish award goes to @Meandbooks

When I was little, my shadow was my imaginary friend. And whenever I went inside I would pretend that it was going off and playing with all its shadow friends in Shadowland. xD

4. Most Interesting Hobby award goes to @Falconer:

I secretly love astronomy! I have a telescope, and next summer, I'm planning on traveling to see the solar eclipse. Black holes are fascinating, and I like meteors as well. ^_^ Unfortunately, all my favorite constellations, like Orion, are only out when it's cold.

5. Something Inspirational award goes to @Sunshine1113

In 3rd grade I had the best teacher ever, so great in fact, she won the teacher of the year award. And it's because of her helping and prompting me to deeper explore the world around me and finding what interests me, that I went on to have a few essays/short stories published in the local newspaper, have a deep love and appreciation for art history and local history, an undying fascination and love of science, used to be able to read somewhat advanced hieroglyphics, discovered a love of British literature, and kind of laid down the foundation for my love of poetry.

6. Most Sneaky award goes to @Steggy:

I like messing with my OCD mom and moving the furniture a little to the right. She hasn't found out.... yet.

7.  Best Superpower award goes to @Magestorrow

My dream superpower is the ability to fly.

I realized it after watching the Alfiem Arc of Sword Art Online. For those of you who don't know, Sword Art Online is an anime about virtual reality video games. Alfiem Online is a VR involving fairies. All characters get an awesome set of wings in game - that work.

I start imagining what flying would be like, and I am now completely convinced that I would immediately love it.

8. Most Nerdy award goes to @KatyaElefant

Although many of my friends find the subject super boring, environmental sciences is one of my favorite topics to think and study about. I was introduced into the science from a young age when my elementary school started an extensive science program.

The projects and activities were more hands-on than usual and let us explore the world more.

9. Best Pet Peeve award goes to @Savvy:

My biggest pet peeve is when people wear black shoes with white socks.

10. Most Adventurous award goes to @Skins:

I've visited every continent in the world besides Antarctica. One day, Antarctica. One day.

So to conclude this whole big article, I think that we all agree that this hashtag really brightened up the People's tab and also brought out some people's unknown interests and quirks to their personalities. I hope that you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing these. (Or rather copy pasting these from the author.) ;)

Until Next Time,
~Pretzel

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

QUIBBLES
Scrutinizing the Subjunctive
written by Lavvie < PM: >

The past subjunctive is something in grammar that constantly stumps people. When should you use I were in lieu of I was? Well, it’s not entirely obvious. Take the following example:

Rosie wishes she were a better singer.

Rosie wishes she was a better singer.

Both sentences probably seem grammatically correct. In the history of English, verbs have taken on moods, much like a person can express their mood by facial expressions. Verbs possess moods like questioning or demanding, so they can also take on a wishful mood. I were is a subjunctive mood of the verb to be and it is used when someone is trying to express wishfulness or something that is not true. Because of that, of the above sentences, the first example is the correct one. Rosie wishes is a dead giveaway because it makes obvious to the reader that Rose is expressing wishfulness.

Another clue of when to use subjunctive verbs is the word if. When used at the beginning of a sentence, if usually expresses something that is usually not true or not existent, like somebody’s hopes and dreams. (Of course, there are exceptions to the rule.)

Example #1
If I were able to turn back time, I would meet Audrey Hepburn.

If I was able to turn back time, I would meet Audrey Hepburn.

Example #2
If the book were shorter, she would finish it on time.

If the book was shorter, she would finish it on time.

In both of the examples above, the first sentences are the correct ones because they express something that is not true. The sentences describe things that I might wish were true or things that are different from the real situation. It’s also important to note that the second independent clause in each sentence contains the words would or could. These words are yet another clue that might help diagnose when to use the subjunctive mood.

Still, like I said, there are always exceptions to the rule and if, would, and could are not always signs of when to the use I were. Look at the example below:

The gas station exploded. If Humphrey was working, he could have died.

The sentence is stating a fact – that the gas station exploded. Because this is a fact and Humphrey is a regular employee at the gas station, he may very well have died in the explosion. It would have been likely to happen. The possibility of what happened is what indicates to us that the sentence requires the indicative mood as opposed to the subjunctive. In other words, Humphrey was is employed instead of Humphrey were. Here’s another example that might be a little more challenging:

If Laura was to show up for rehearsal, we would be able to practice our scene together, but she called in sick today.

It’s clear that Laura rarely misses a rehearsal time. On the contrary, it appears that Laura is usually at every rehearsal. Because this sentence indicates to us that what is being expressed is nothing wishful or contrary to the truth, the indicative mood (Laura was) is used instead of the subjunctive. This example only shows, however, that it is crucial to pay close attention to context. Above, we know that Laura called in sick so not showing up to rehearsal is an exceptional circumstance for her. However, if Laura were dead, then we would use the subjunctive as opposed to the indicative because her showing up to rehearsal would be wishful thinking on the speaker’s part.

In the end, the use of the subjunctive versus the indicative is a lot simpler than it initially seems. You just need to know if you’re making a wish or stating the facts. ;)

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SQUILLS STAFF SPOTLIGHT
written by megsug  < PM: >

This month, I’d like to tell all of you about a staff member who joined a few months shy of a year ago. They have revived Resource Relay and a Mod Moment, covered countless events and trends around the site, and is never afraid to pitch a new idea. They have done over twenty articles and often posts more than one article a week. If you’re a regular reader, perhaps you already know who I’m talking about. @Pretzelstick is this month’s Staff Spotlight!

I asked them some questions about Squills though not nearly as sneakily as Gravity did for the last Squills Staff Spotlight . Here’s what Pretz had to say:

Squills: Why did you join Squills?

Pretzelstick: I joined Squills because I was getting really interested in journalism, and for a while I just sat on the sidelines trying to observe how the amazing Squills has done. I had kind of hit a writing block in my life last summer, and so I engaged here into writing and also in TWT. One day, while reading Squills I came to the end where it asked for additional contributors, and seeing there limited staff I decided to just jump in. And I fit in and this is my main thing that I love to do on YWS.

S: Do you have a favorite article to write?

P: There's just an exciting factor of writing Resources Relays, like looking through cupboards with cookies, or finding something beautiful in a cobweb. And when I'm done spending down and discovering these hidden treasures, it's just quite a pleasure to share it to everyone who reads and likes my articles. 

S: You've started or picked up quite a few columns. Do you prefer writing columns over writing independent articles? Why?

P: I personally like writing columns, because I know as a reader I like to read weekly columns that have captured my attention. As a plus it helps me stay really consistent and "on track" as a reporter.

S: Is there an article or column you're particularly proud of or one you enjoyed writing?

P: One of the recent ones that I worked so hard on, but it came out quite lovely was written in the beginning of February about #TeamTortoise members and their strategies with approaching this daily event. It was so informative and I learned so much as a reviewer, even though I can't participate in #TeamTortoise because of other commitments and time issues.

S: If someone asked you if they should join Squills, what would you say?

P: Absolutely go for it! Even though it's a big time commitment and coding can be a pain, the end product is so worth it. You feel accomplished once your article is published in the newsletter and you feel proud when you receive likes and comments about it. This was honestly one of the best things that happened to me on YWS, and it can be for you too!

S: What's your favorite aspect of writing for Squills?

P: Feeling like I put my name on something meaningful-something that the only news place on YWS. It's a constant/consistent that I hope to continue for years to come.
S: Is there anything else you'd like to add?

P: I feel so honored to be chosen as featured as staff member!
Thank you to BlueAfrica for being and amazing editor-in-chief. And also to megsug and Gravity (and newly appointed Lavvie Hepburn <333) who are awesome editors who are always eager to help me if I have any questions, or concerns. Without them, Squills wouldn't be in existence, so let's appreciate them and give Squills the attention that it deserves.

And we appreciate Pretz! Go congratulate and thank them for their contribution to YWS on their wall.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica  < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Thomoose@Mexicana505@Thalassophiliac@Cassidytosch@xmxly@SBSeawolf@Tenjolt@kittenlynx240@Olivejackson@emmagrace@trevorelias5000@ZackThomas62099@asalsalmanipoor@twentyonecacti@jwgil20@9933367@dtaylor417@mikey16@ChonoTheAssassin@anja@Luna56@Rosy234@Angel29@Rohost@KayleeMorgan@natasha42@Spartan118@Nildabeast@geekalishis@sherlyb60@Elphina1234@mammie@zs022@nancnancrevolution@Mariam@sameeenn@everythinglily@BeastlyBeauty22@katekay3948@goldenbriarrose128@Chloegio67121201@SilverDreamCatcher@Elle712@passionistmaarib@WillowTree@SeJ@phoenixgrl113 • @THECATLOVER12345 • @TABBYCATLOVER@SarangPotter@Malvika18@starrieknight@Joni@theyester@shyWriter@Lila1092@gjardin@Ayushthepoet@Bearsrule15@PoetryBud@sympathyforshadows@GlobalD@AlphaLeoWolf@Jacques808@KwonYongWan@kbudiwarman20@bschultz20@SeJinKim • @janessarose@NeverEndingStory@spaace@KAsahina@AmazingAida@Babuni@PongMendoza@ons11@omegasentry@longlivetheking@ELSGangala • @steam1244 • @avonlea14arnette@love2read52@Sugglet1285@KM7@ptran20@meaf@TitanScar07@Watermelon • @Yuki3473 • @Kendall1@SpaceTurkeyInART@NandaArmstrong@Isha@alnasheikh@ilecicc18@Anjali@SerendipityStallion@FizzyIzzy@GiorgioShishkabob@Orange@plt1212@Gwenavear@chioma@CTodd89@jacko

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Resources Relay 3/27
written by Pretzelstick  < PM: >

Woohoo! Finally the long awaited Resources Relay is returned at full speed about a two week hiatus. We start off the end of March with editing your babies, and learning about the "god from the machine." Hope that you enjoy and lurk all around and inside these links.

@OmegaEmerson recently asked a quite interesting question, about the types of thoughts and how to format those in their writing. They included three all uniquely different perspectives, and here what the wonderful @Holysocks had to contribute:

I think the beauty of writing is that everything in it has to be balanced. So I'm going to go ahead and say that I think all of those ways you've given should be used throughout. I don't think there's anything wrong with any of them, and I think they all add something in their own way.

@Rosendorn echoes Holy's replies and has two cents of her own to that, so if you are curious about the different styles of internal dialogue, then this is definitively the discussion to be at!

@Lareine recently published their first KB article,(big congrats and thanks to them) all about the literary device of Deus Ex Machina which is quite a striking concept that needs more information on. I was convinced after reading that article, that I had the tools and information to fix this overuse in my own writing. Here is a paragraph that caught my eye:

Using deus ex machina to solve your characters' problems rids them of the opportunity to develop like a real person does. Believe it or not, every fight you've been in, every break-up and every make-up, has had some sort of effect on shaping the person you are today. Every time you face a difficult decision in life, you come out the other side a different person from before you made that decision.

I completely agree with @Wolfie36, that this article was truly great, one of the greater ones that I have read this year. Completely recommend if you are either struggling with this overuse of the device, or even have never heard of it. As I say, "It's always good to know!"

Hoorah! @niteowl is in town of the WRFF threads, I mean they're in business! Started in the Jan/Feb Review Day, they have only gotten 7 requests. Squillsians, we can do this, let's go and flood those open gates with terrific works! This "catch" really stuck out to me, because I love the concept and thinking behind it:

The Catch: If you have not reviewed anything in the past month, I will not accept your request. YWS depends on reviews to survive, and I'm working on doing my part, but you should be too. If you haven't reviewed in a while, find something to review before you request. If you're new and want review advice, feel free to message me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Since niteowl is on the leaderboards for #TeamTortoise this month, I'm sure that they wouldn't mind, and would actually encourage you to point your finger at their work

@Aley recently posted a fantastic and fabulous resources about editing your baby, where she covers step by in 7 full written articles how to accomplish this task. I read and reread all seven of them, and still am amazed how helpful this will be for my NaPo experience this year around.

Editing can take anywhere from days to months, so take your time, and ask for more eyes if you want to speed up the process. Find people who you trust to help you edit your work, who are familiar with your faults, and exchange editing help with them. Also, learn your faults yourself, and develop a style that plays on your strengths.

Most of all, decide what goals you want to set for your writing for yourself. You are your only guaranteed audience, so don't be afraid to rewrite until you like it.

That's a lovely summary of all that is about to be thrown at you if you decide to go and check these out, read up on them, and take the time to do so before NaPo arrives, just around the corner. Very beneficial.

All right, sadly this has to come to a close as I only do 4 per week :( Stay tuned for next week's awesome links that are coming up. Have an amazing week!

Until Next Time,

~Pretzel

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:43 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 3/27
written by megsug < PM: >

Pitching, switching, fighting, and reminiscing. All things done in this week’s Roundup!

…Only slightly and temporarily though. Because Easter is falling on the last weekend of March, @Nate is changing Review Day dates, so people won’t be busy with family things when Review Day is in progress. The new dates are:

•   March's Review Day will be on April 3
•   April's Review Day will be on May 1
•   Back to normal with May's Review Day on May 29

This month you have to wait just a little longer before you can get to work cleaning the Green Room again if you aren’t already slowly chipping away at it.

@Steggy just wants to know how everyone came up with their names. People have some pretty awesome stories, and their names illustrate way more creativity than I have, but I really love @RadientShadow’s story:

Once I was the one that got into a fight. It was between me and 4 other students that were making fun of my friend. I got up and practically talked them to tears. My English teacher came out and she said " Well I always knew you were a little light but never thought you had so much dark inside" Then like a weird little kid I was I said " Well You know I never got scared of the dark cause I was always reflecting the light!" I still don't know what I actually meant by that but as I was creating this account I thought of it and was like huh RadiantShadow seems good.

Reading through this thread is a great way to learn about users and just get a laugh in.

Have you ever gone to the The Writer Tournaments and wished that you could have another club to join that had writing contests too? Well, your wish has come true. The admins of The Writer Tournaments have created The Gladiator Workshop to have experimental tournaments that might mess around with the format of The Writer Tournaments too much. You can join the Choose Your Own Tournament today. They’re waiting on getting enough users to start. @Lareine explains the concept:

In the first round, you will have three prompts to choose from. In the second, you will have two prompts to choose from—but these two prompts depend on what you chose in the first round. In the third...well, you'll just have to see.

In this tournament, prompts will be PMed to the combatants when a new round begins to preserve the privacy of alternate prompts. It's not as important in the first round as the second and third, but let's see where these choices take us, yes?

Subscribe to the club if you want to be in the know of all the tournaments happening around the site!

@AdrianMoon started a cool activity that could be useful for anyone who plans on pitching their novel ever. The idea of the game is to grade the pitch that was last posted and post a pitch of your own novel. @Rosendorn’s pitch has been ungraded for a while now and is:

Kerani’s sole purpose has always been ensuring the survival of her bloodline, through murder and through marriage, but how far will she go to stop a war that threatens to tear her sister’s empire apart?

Grade it and see how your own pitch does!

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:43 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Join the Flash Fiction Tournament for a world of fun with lots of friends.
Find The Short Shorts Tournament in The Writer Tournaments here.
Suggest possible prompts, and enjoy word wars to complete entries.

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:44 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Stranger@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend  • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles  • @tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda