z

Young Writers Society

Squills - 2/21/2016 - 2/27/2016

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Elysium

Resources Reporter
PretzelStick

Storybook Reporter

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
JustPerks

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Wellness Advisor
Skydreamer

Code Master

General Reporters
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

#TeamTortoise Members
written by Pretzel < PM: >

Hello, Pretzel here as a reporter of Squills, to update you on the club that is featured on the Leadorboards, ... #TeamTortoise . There are currently only 10 members left that are going strong, so if you every have a moment of free time, I would strongly encourage you to strongly congratulate them for making it this far, and encouraging them to keep on going forward. Now, on a more personal level, I interviewed some users that are still on that wagon:
@Rosendorn, @Rydia @Steggy,@Meandbooks, (Note: This interviews was PMed Wed.Feb.17-so some of these users maybe ne out of this competition, due to not writing a review that day.)

Anyways, let's get straight into the very informative interview that you all have been waiting for:

Squills: How do you motivate yourself to get that one review in everyday?

Rosendorn: Habitica .It's a productivity RPG where you have all these tasks you need to get done in a day, and if you don't do them, your character loses health. I've set reviewing to go every day so I make sure to check it off every day.

Before I got that, I used to review between stuff I had to do when I didn't feel like doing it. Productive procrastination and all that.

Rydia: I like the stars and it's a good way of working toward those and I don't have a problem with the motivation because I like helping people with their writing but finding the time isn't easy. Even when I tell myself that it should only be half an hour a day, I often don't get home until 11:30 and then I have to remind myself that I've worked hard to stay in the contest and that I'll be annoyed with myself if I give that up over something small like sleep.

If I know I'm going to be particularly busy one day then I try to plan ahead by starting the review on the previous day.

Steggy: I sit in my room, silent. I found that if you are silent without any music, it won't distract you from writing a review. It makes you think, the voices come alive in your head and argue on whether the correction you made is really a good suggestion. I then go back and read over the review (if there are other reviews on the work, I read those.)

Meandbooks: I actually use this website called Habitica , which is a website where you're basically a character in an RPG game and you level up and get cool stuff by checking off tasks from your everyday life. I use it to keep track of homework and things. (Thanks to @Snoink for introducing it to me!) I have "review" on there as a habit, so when I do a review I can hit that plus button and feel good about myself.:P

S: What is your philosophy/strategy when it comes to participating in a team like #TeamTortoise?

R: The more examples of reviewers that are out there, the more reviewers go out and learn how to review. It creates a positive ripple effect because when people are talking about reviews, then there are more people who want to do it.

I also like the steadiness of it. It's a small thing you can do to help the site. I also really like things like #revieweveryweek because that's an even smaller commitment!

R: I'm a bit obsessive sometimes and I do take it seriously. I really do want to stay in the competition but I try to keep it fun as well by finding things I want to read/ review anyway and by combining different contests. Like I'm doing a lot of green room reviews so I can earn my Knights of the Green Room badges at the same time.

S: Take easy steps. For me, reviewing the works with one review is enough to just fulfill the need to review again. It also add the bonus of reviewing a work with no reviews, and see that it might not be moved out of the green room.

M: My strategy is to just accept it as part of my daily routine. We all have things that we do every single day, and after a while you don't have to remind yourself - you just do them, like practicing an instrument or brushing your teeth. That's what I try to do with things like TeamTortoise - just make it a part of my daily routine. And it's also good to remember that every little bit helps someone.

S: Which article from the Knowledge Base, have you found that is most useful and effective in improving the way that you review?

R: I am basically always linking:

Punctuation within Dialogue
Breathing emotion into scenes
How to Get Rid of Talking Heads
Linguistics and Dialogue, Intro
Linguistics and Dialogue, Application

R: I'm a big fan of the classic critique sandwich: The YWS Critique Sandwich I'd add that it's also good to ask yourself questions about the different aspects of novels/ poems as you read through. Do you like the characters? Is the pace good? Does the theme fit the structure chosen? If I get to the end of a review and I've not said much, I quickly run through a checklist in my head which for novels is normally characters, description, plot, pacing, dialogue etc.

S: I've found the Reviewing Sandwich helpful. Its helped me write reviews since I first came here and even to the future.

M: Hmm...there have been several that I've really liked, but @Kyllorac recent article, A Rundown on Reviewing , really blew me away. Not only does it give the basic advice that every reviewer should know, but it also gave a balanced look at shorter reviews vs. longer reviews, how to avoid burnout (something I needed!), and the subtleties of the difference between being harsh and mean.

S: Lastly, what tip/advice would you give to a brand new member who is just getting into reviewing and critiques?

R: Your opinion is important and valid! Even if you feel really new and like a speck of dust, you can still provide a valuable opinion with even just a paragraph. Say what you liked/didn't, and why you liked it/didn't.

In general, I just try to remember Neil Gaiman's advice
:

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”

R: Focus on telling the author about anything you didn't understand. Sometimes just knowing that a part is confusing is enough to help the writer decide what changes need to be made.

S: Take your time when reviewing. You don't want to write something that'll looked all confusing and hard to understand. Look over the review before you publish it and ask yourself "Will this help the author?"
Don't be scared to take the biggest chapters or smallest essays. Every single one of those works can get reviewed. Don't let your fears overwhelm you. Dig away your shyness and review.

M: The main advice I'd give to a brand new member is that when you read literary works on here, read the reviews too. That will help you figure out what good reviews look like and help you see what sort of things can be picked out of a piece to critique. The other thing I'll say is to be specific. It's okay if you absolutely loved the work and your review is filled with praise - if you're very specific about what you liked and why, the author will be able to make note of that and use it in future writing and not accidentally "fix" it.

And, that's a wrap to this article! I hope that you enjoyed reading through this, as much as I enjoyed writing this and asking questions(or maybe you even enjoyed it more, since you didn't have to do the painstaingly format xd). Anyways, that's it and see you next week for another article!

Until Next Time,

~P.S.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:10 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LMS Standing II: Update Time
written by Pretzel < PM: >

Again, Pretzel here coming to you with a thorough update, with links and everything, that will hopefully interest you or engage in the competition of LMS Standing (Round 2). Currently run by @OliveDreams and created by @Tenyo, and there is currently 9 authors that are still keeping track and keep up with it. I wanted to take a closer look at their work.
So, after that intro I am sure that all of you readers are eager to get into the action of the interview. Presenting: LMS II Standing Updated Intereviews with @Tortwag, @Buggiedude2340, and @EnderFlash

I also just wanted to introduce some quotes here from Olive's post, which she updates once in a while, on some delightful descriptions directly from these novels:

The horizon remains painted with fluffy brushstrokes of pink and orange, and a layer of freezing fog still awaits sublimation.

-Buggiedude2340

Bygorn began swinging his sword at amazing speed, performing several deadly moulinets with it.

- Tortwag

She had pulled back her sleeves after revealing her knives, and Lucius noticed the white lines and scabs of cuts lining her hands and the visible parts of her arms.

- EnderFlash

Squills: How would you describe your progression from Week One to currently?

Tortwag: So, uh, to answer the question directly, I'd say that my progression went from a "Master Plan" mindset to a "You Only Live Once" one. I still make plans, but I realize that I don't need as much details as I thought I needed. I know my characters, and I know where I'm going - so let's have fun with whatever I write in the meantime :)

Buggiedude2340: I'd say I'm about halfway through my LMS II novel, and that I'm getting much better at convincing myself to write, even when I don't quite feel like it. It's been a helpful skill, especially with schoolwork.

EnderFlash: I am, unfortunately, falling behind in publishing my chapters. Partly because band and history is filling up my schedule, partly because I'm a lazy kid. Now that I've gotten into the swing of the story, though, I'm finding it much easier to actually write it. Editing... is another story.

S: Where do you find motivation and what inspires you to keep on writing a chapter a week?

T: In my plans, first off. Writing down plans for my next chapters is a great way to give myself some more motivation, because it gives me the feeling that I"m going somewhere. Y'know, with a direction to follow, or... a mission to fulfill. This may sound silly, but it's the mindset I need to keep on going and, well... Level up, so to speak.

As for what inspires me to keep on writing... Heh. First, my characters, because there is absoluetely no way in the world that I'll abandon them (I realize now that I cherish them a lot more than the world they live in - and it used to be the other way around). And second, the fact that I'm in a competition. I don't participate in these to necessaily defeat others - though that's a quite pleasant bonus :twisted: - but to defeat myself. In other words, to surpass my limits. And I've come to realize that sometimes, the best way for a human being to do that is to compare himself to other people, with a mindset such as "they can go that far? Heh! Well I'm just as good as them, I can do that too! C'mon, pull yourself together and catch up to them!"

B: I find most of my motivation in the fact that everyone in my review group is still competing. AstralHunter, Tortwag, and Enderflash have all been very supportive, and since I am practically guaranteed 3 reviews per chapter, knowing I have critiques to look forward to has also been a moral booster.

E: Definitely one of my friends, who's name I won't mention. Whenever I have problems with the plot, she's the one I can talk to, as she's plenty eager to help. Simply talking to her about it on a semi-daily basis renews my interest in my story. Doodling my characters everywhere helps, too.

S: Please give us the title of your novel, and a brief summary of it.

T: Title Muster Heroes
Summary: In a futuristc world where virtual reality has been created and vastly improved throughout the years, we follow the adventures of a class of teenagers that took part in a very special experimental project: a school that claims being able to teach subjects as wide as history, human culture, languages and many others through gaming sessions of Muster Heroes, a game making use of advanced virtual reality technology in order for pupils to immerse themsevles in a brand new realm of various wonders. More than a game - it is a world of its own that shows how much one can learn from fiction.

B: My novel,The Chronicles of a Public Bus , (there are currently seven chapters sitting in the GR, starting here and ending here ) is a modern fantasy taking place entirely on one bus, and it details a number of mysteries, ranging from the stealing of a boy's chess set to serial murders to the sudden reappearance of spirits and ghosts that haven't been seen in almost a century.

E: The title is Unorthodox Thieves . Our main character, Lucius, is tossed into a weird arena/world/area where stealing something from someone else allows for an equivalent exchange in the real world. For example, killing someone means that someone else on Earth can be revived. The main downside? Those who enter (through a magical white door that is as inexplainable as everything else) are erased from Earth's memory base. Good-bye. Despite the concept, don't expect the exchange system to be the main focus of the story...

S: What's the main message/advice that you would want to say for writers who observe the LMS Challenge?

T: Participate, dang it! It's the kind of challenges that allows you to test and see what you're capable of - can you keep up with the pace, or are you unable to do so? If so, why?
Even if you don't win, finding out why you failed, that's what truly matters. You need to find a way to grow as much as the novel you've created - 'cause it's a part of you. If IT can learn, change form and become something else when you write it, so can YOU.

B: My advice for people who want to do LMS someday would be to make friends with the other writers in the challenge! Having a solid stream of reviews and someone with which you can banter about your writing struggles or bounce ideas off of is probably the best way to keep the competition fun and keep you from getting tired of your story. Plus, friendly rivalry is way more fun than competing with strangers.

E: First of all, I tip my imaginary hat off to you watchers. LMS is a huge thing to keep track of! Not so sure on the advice side of things, but for those planning to write a full-out novel: Things are much easier if you round up friends or partners to help. It gives a purpose to continue on, and that might just be what you need to keep on writing until you can run on your own. Not that your friends will leave you alone, of course.

Thank you so much for your feedback in answering the questions. And pat on the back to all of those remaning warriors who are participating in this huge thing.

Until Next Time

~P.S.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:11 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

There are currently 102 works with zero reviews and 180 works with one review in the Green Room. We managed to clear out all the works from October and November, but there are still plenty of works from December. Go give them some love!

Guardians by @DustiferBb
Rated 16+ for language and violence.

This is the only non-December work on my list, but it’s not from January or February, either. It’s leftover from...wait for it...June! Cue George Takei voice. Oh, my. The Guardians were created by the military to combat the Ventors, who tried to wipe out humans decades ago.

DUET: Chapter 12 by @SereneSimpliciT

DUET has six chapters in the Green Room, most of which have been stuck there since December! A sequel to SereneSimpliciT’s earlier novel, LAPIS , DUET picks up when Maggie, replaced with LAPIS, seeks revenge on Isugoro. In this chapter, Isugoro reunites with some familiar faces. But the happy moment is over too quickly when HERA shows up.

My Life in a Bizarre Town: Chapter 4 by @kman134
Rated 16+ for language and mature content.

Elizabeth is jealous when she meets Haru’s childhood friend and self-proclaimed lover, Keiko.

FALL - Chapter Three - It Begins by @EverWinter

Avy sprains her wrist and is going to have to show David the ropes midmission.

Dream-Hunters - Chapter Twenty by @Chaser

The heroes hear a prophecy from someone who has thus far been been a minor character.

No Romance: Chapter 21, Part 1 by @AdrianMoon

The twenty-first installment of AdrianMoon’s Last Man Standing Project is one of six chapters currently in the Green Room. In this chapter, Mori has a breakdown.

The Way We Cope with That Thing Called Life - Part 3 by @adelekm

Parts three and four are both in the Green Room, so be sure to check them out! In this installment, the narrator has a moment of contentment that’s quickly ruined by a flashback.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:12 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLUB COVERAGE
written by megsug < PM: >

Clubs are a great way to find users with similar interests whether those interests are book related or similar extracurricular activities. They’re even a great way to make a new friend!

Fang’s Blog is for any fans of the Maximum Ride series. From fangirling on the wall to comparing ships in the forums, this is a beautiful place for any who love James Patterson’s teen series or the manga. There’s even a roleplaying thread! Squeal about Maximum Ride to your heart’s desire!

Do you sing with a large group of people assigned multiple parts? You should join YWS Choir ! Whether it’s sharing experiences or pictures about choir, the wall is a place to mingle while there are interesting threads in the forum discussing things like the songs you won’t forget. The bond through music is a strong one, friends.

I’d bet you probably love YWS. Unless you don’t (but why wouldn’t you?), check out The YWS Appreciation Club . Let everyone know how much you adore YWS or praise your favorite aspects. It’s a great club about something we all have in common.

The Buddy System just got a reboot. New members could definitely snag an experienced member in no time to show them around with a single wall post, and members who want to mentor new members should apply and take advantage of the new boost in activity!

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ASK GRUNO
written by Gruno < PM: >

Welcome to Ask Gruno, the advice column in which stuff happens. Gruno will answer any questions you throw at him, be it advice, personal opinion, solutions or philosophy. My cousin Pruno has been busy at the wonderful school for Pruno people, so I will be taking over the column. Every now and again, Pruno may make an appearance, so never fear! May the question answering commence!

Dear Pruno
What would monkeys do if they didn't have banana trees?

-P

Dear P,
They eat…. pretzelsticks. dun DUN DUNNNNNNNNN
Love,

G

Dear Pruny Gruno,
What did you think of Deadpool? Just out of curiosity, of course... obviously…

-Thor

Dear Thor,
I haven’t seen it yet. I did, however, love your appearance in the Avengers.

-Gruno

Dear Keeper of All Wisdom,
I have a serious book problem. If there's a book for less than three dollars or- I smile just thinking about it- free. The problem is, I now have so many I haven't read, and I don't have any room! I'm stacking books on windowsills! But, at the same time, a lot of the books I'm buying aren't necessarily sold in box bookstores anymore because they're old and/or really bad. What should I do? ;n;

-Drowning in Books

My Fellow Book Lover,
I have a similar problem. Here’s an idea! Get a book shelf! If you already have one, and it’s full, get rid of the books you don’t want and donate them to a shelter or a book drive, or even a church. If you still find you don’t have a lot of space, box up the books you want to save for later and stick them in a closet or an attic for a rainy day.
Or you could always turn them into drink coasters!

-Gruno

Dear All-Knowing One,
I am a hundred and fourteen. How old are you? I bet you're a young whippersnapper, but it's always nice to know for sure.

-One Hundred Fourteen

Dear 114,
Most people tell me I act like I was born yesterday but really, I’m very close to your age. I happen to be 613 years old. Which explains why I have horrible luck. Friday is the sixth day of the week (if you count sunday first) and 13, well. Friday the 13th. Haha!

Love, Gruno

Sadly, that’s all for this week. We need more questions. You all have been fabulous as far as asking questions, but the more we get, the better. We live to answer your questions and solve your conundrums so if you have a query, click this link

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:21 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

QUIBBLES
To Be or Not to Be, That is the Question
written by Lavvie < PM: >

Believe it or not, not all verbs express an action – this pertains particularly to the verb ‘to be’. ‘To be’ can function as both a state of action verb and also a linking verb. A linking verb never expresses an action but works instead to connect the subject of a verb to either a noun or adjective. If the subject of the verb is being linked to the adjective, the adjective is most likely functioning as a subject complement, meaning that it is describing the noun or pronoun. A state of action verb expresses an action that something can do. The verb literally describes the action of the subject.

There are two simple methods to identify whether or not a sentence has a linking verb or a state of action verb. If you’re unsure of how to locate a linking verb within a sentence, ask yourself is the verb could be replaced with an equal sign (=). For example:

Norman was thrilled with his promotion.

In this sentence, Norman = thrilled. Was does not describe Norman’s state of being – thrilled does. Therefore, was is a linking verb.

Bella is angry at her friend.

Here, Bella = angry. Bella’s state of being is being angry so is is a linking verb.

Other verbs that can be linking verbs commonly include ‘to become’ and ‘to seem’, among a few others (‘to grow’, ‘to feel’, ‘to sound’, ‘to stay’, ‘to appear’, etc.) Essentially, any verb that can describe the state of being of something can function as a linking verb.

The snowstorm became worse.

Snowstorm = worse. Therefore, became is a linking verb.

Lucy seems upset with herself.

Lucy = upset, so seems is a linking verb.

Sometimes, linking verbs can be helping verbs. A helping verb does not describe the state of being of the subject, but helps give meaning to the main verb of a sentence. For example:

The cat is a lazy animal.

The cat is sleeping quietly.

The first sentence is an example of linking verb sentence because cat = lazy animal. However, in the second sentence, sleeping quietly is not a state of being. Here, is sleeping is the verb and is functions to provide more meaning to the main verb (sleeping) which shows us what the cat is doing.

Regarding state of action verbs, you can ask yourself the following question: Can something do this? Nearly all verbs are state of action verbs, so the options are limitless.

Hank and Elizabeth danced all night long.

Can Hank and Elizabeth dance all night long? Yes, they can. Therefore, danced is a state of action verb.

The hurricane approaches fast.

Can the hurricane approach? Yes, the hurricane is very capable of doing so. Therefore, approaches is a state of action verb.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:23 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEWSFLASH
written by Lavvie < PM: >

Was your week boring? Well, for the world it wasn’t. Take a peek at what things went down, went up, and went sideways this week in news.

The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, has announced that the United Kingdom will have an EU referendum on June 23rd. The nation’s citizens will vote on whether or not they wish to remain in the European Union. David Cameron said that his campaign will urge people to vote to remain in a reformed EU and his noted that this vote will probably be one of the biggest decisions “in our lifetimes”. Many British Ministers have already started taking sides, with the Home Secretary Theresa May announcing her intent to stay, while Justice Secretary Michael Gove is packing his European bags. The referendum announcement came after a reformed deal was developed between the UK and the EU. Cameron says the new deal gives Britain a special status, including more national regulation of immigrants. Many believe that the EU is holding the United Kingdom, with Commons leader Chris Grayling even claiming that the UK cannot “take decisions in national interest when we are part of the European Union”. Either way, it’s going to be a tight race until the very end of Britain sizes up to decide its immediate future.

South Sudan has been stuck between a rock and a hard place for too long already, and UN officials are now calling for calm on both sides as inter-communal violence and human rights violations escalate. The UN-managed protection of civilians site in Malakal has faced extreme violence from members of the Shilluk and Dinka communities since February 17. Already, there are more than 18 dead and 50 injured. The UN Security Council is worried about reliable reports that claim there are armed, uniformed members of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) entering the UN camp. The Security Council has called for a calming of tensions and has reminded the perpetrators that their actions could constitute as war crimes, considering the UN camp is a protected site. Across the country, violent tension escalates and the conflict dynamics are rapidly changing.

Harper Lee, the author of the immortal novel To Kill a Mockingbird, is dead at the age of 89. The book has become a classic American novel and addresses the themes of racial justice in the Southern states. People around the world have tweeted messages in response to her death, including author John Green, Apple CEO Tim Cook, and Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian. HarperCollins, Lee’s publisher, also released an official statement, saying, “The world knows Harper Lee was a brilliant writer but what many don’t know is that she was an extraordinary woman of great joyfulness, humility, and kindness. She lived her life the way she wanted to – in private – surrounded by books and the people who loved her.” To Kill a Mockingbird, published in 1960, was partly inspired by Lee’s own childhood experiences growing up in Monroeville. The story describes how Scout Finch, accompanied by many other townspeople, become involved in the ase of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of rape. Her father, Atticus, has gone down in literary history for being a steadfast and just man defending Tom Robinson. The book is a Pulitzer Prize-winner and was made into a movie in 1962, with actor Gregory Peck winning the Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of Atticus Finch.

Italian media reported on Friday that Umberto Eco, the author famous for his 1980 international bestseller The Name of the Rose has died at the age of 84. Eco was unknown except to his university comrades until the publication of his first novel, a detective story set in a monastery. He was 48 and teaching as a the University of Bologna when he achieved international recognition. Many literary critics were surprised at his almost overnight success because the book contains exhaustive philosophical and religious descriptions of life in a medieval monastery. For the average reader, The Name of the Rose is no easy read. However, Eco’s excellent plot, atmosphere and well-crafted protagonist is where the novel’s popularity stemmed from. Since its publication, The Name of the Rose has won numerous literary awards and sold over 14 million copies. It was also made into a feature film starring Sean Connery as the main character.

Eleven McDonald’s restaurant locations in Ohio are testing out a new item on the breakfast menu: the Chicken McGriddle. Some liken it to a chicken and waffle sandwich because the piece of fried chicken is stuck between two maple syrup pancake buns. Yum! The sandwich will be sold throughout the month of March and being sold at two different prices. Brian Mortellaro is the creator behind the Chicken McGriddle and already owns eight different McDonald’s’ in Ohio. “I just think that [it’s] something that isn’t out there right now,” said the fast food connoisseur. Officials say that it’s too early to predict the success of the new item, but people are already lining up to chow down on the very Midwestern-style breakfast entree.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 2/21
written by megsug < PM: >

Literary jealousy, a rare chance of being published, mad banners, and Shakespeare raps. This Roundup is a doozy.

Do you have a written creation that keeps you up at night? That haunts your dreams? That makes you tear your clothes, fall to your knees, and sob, wishing that you had been brilliant enough to come up with the literary masterpiece? You’re not alone. @Stranger has shared his own struggle and invited other users to share theirs.

Some may have even preferred if @na3f had written Harry Potter:

Only reason I wish I wrote those books is because then I would continue writing them non-stop until I'm a crazy old man who's writing about Harry's great great great great grand son, Norbert Dumblesnoot Potter Juniour the Third.

What writer makes you burn with jealousy?

How I wish I was you, but also @Carlito has a great opportunity for you. Only Friday, a 35 word pitch and the first 250 words of a novel can be submitted to Pitch Madness. Carlito explains exactly what that is:

If your submission catches the eye of the reader team agents will be able to read your submission. Agents have to play a game and winners of the game get to request partials and fulls from participants. So it's a game of chance, but also a fun way to potentially get some agent interest for your manuscript.

These are real agents, so real opportunities for any novelists out there! If you want more information check this out.

Created by @MadWriter7. It’s pretty simple to do. Fill out a form listing what you want the banner to say, what color scheme you’d prefer, an image you may want, a description if you have something in mind, and a deadline if there is one. After that, a beautiful banner like this one could be yours:

Spoiler! :

She has two other examples that are just as nice. Fill that empty place on your wall with a banner today!

In the oft forgotten Media Reviews there was a thread about adaptations of Shakespeare. Most contributors liked different Romeo and Juliet adaptations from the 1968 version to the fairly recent Warm Bodies. @austinturtle is not like the others though, going out on his own and is

currently working on Othello- The rap musical

Do you have a favorite adaptation or are you making one of your own?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:34 am
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

Send in yours~

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:37 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Stranger@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain • @Blaspherica • @Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham