z

Young Writers Society

Squills 08/16/2015 - 08/23/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:54 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Elysium

Resources Reporter
Pretzelsing

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Wellness Advisor
Skydreamer

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
AstralHunter
OliveDreams
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Despite a great Review Day last month, the Green Room is getting full again! There are currently 71 works with 0 reviews and 100 works with 1 review. So if you’re in need of points or working toward another review star, consider checking out some of the works below.

Did You Miss Me? by @ChocolateCello

A Sherlock poem. From the viewpoint of Moriarty, speaking to Sherlock after Sherlock’s return.

Another Sherlock poem by ChocolateCello can be found here .

Brick Wall by @Lain

Lyrics for the first song for Lain’s band, Graveyard Junkies.

Austkirk (Deceased) by @wallacies
Rated 16+ for language.

Being a ghost has never been so cool. In this short work of supernatural fiction, Austen accidentally haunts his younger brother after realizing he’s dead.

To Become a Knight: Prologue - Abandoned Agony by @JayBlu
Rated 16+ for language and violence.

Two brothers who were once close fight a battle to the death.

The Profane Parables and Other Nihilistic Narrations by a Perverse Pariah, 4 by @UriahElroy
Rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Do you enjoy poetry? History? Excessive alliteration? This is the poem for you! The fourth in a series of short stories and poetry, Profane Parables 4 tells the story of the Russian mystic, Rasputen.

The first in the series can be found here .

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL!
written by Elysium < PM: >

Hello! Elysium your community reporter here!

We are here to talk about the Shakespeare Festival! First off, to participate you must try out. To try out, go to This link . Then all you do is to use a recording site and read Puck's monologue from a Midsummer's night dream out loud.

When you are all finished, send your audition to @LadySpark by PM and just wait to hear back about your audition!

If you are accepted, you will be given an opportunity to chose from a list of plays that they will be doing scenes of. Once you are done choosing, they will place you in the show best fit for you. Now, I won't tell you everything, but you can go to this thread just to read more and to audition!

That's all! Thanks for reading this edition of Squills!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:59 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING

Last week, you may remember, we talked about different roles that romantic relationships can play in a character’s life. This week, I want to talk about familial relationships. Naturally, there will be some overlap—all types of relationships, for example, are going to affect a character’s trust and self-esteem to some extent—but because family is present from birth, familial relationships can affect characters in ways that other relationships don’t.

View of the world. While a character’s ideals will be informed by her individual experiences, the first and biggest influence on her ideals—particularly religious and political ideals—is the family. As with attitudes toward love and marriage derived from romantic relationships, characters can vary wildly in their response to their family’s ideals. A character raised in a deeply religious Christian household, for example, may embrace her family’s beliefs without question. She may vote for the same people her siblings vote for, support the same causes her parents support, and be actively involved in church society. Depending on the teachings of her family, she might see the world as a beautiful place, full of God’s love for creation, or as a hellhole full of sin, either in need of saving or beyond all help.

On the other hand, a different character raised in a similar household—or even the same household—might respond entirely differently. This character might reject her family’s religious and political ideals for any number of reasons. Perhaps she appreciates faith and spirituality but dislikes religion as an institution. Perhaps she sees her family’s views as bigoted or exclusionary. Perhaps her studies make her determine that various aspects of her family’s ideals are logically flawed.

Whether the character accepts wholeheartedly her family’s ideals or rejects them, the fact is that her family nonetheless first informed her way of looking at the world. Until she gets out in the world and starts having her own experiences or seeking knowledge from new sources, her family’s ideals are the standard by which she judges the world. Of course, the example I have given of a character raised in a deeply religious household is an extreme one. People raised in middle-ground households—say, casually religious families and families whose political ideals fall in the middle of the spectrum—tend to retain ideals closer to those of their parents and siblings.

Expectations for life. By this I mean a number of things. Primarily “career expectations and expected education,” but expectations for marriage, children, and other things are also shaped early on by the family.

For example, if a character’s parents went to college, he probably expects—or at least his parents probably expect—that he will also go to college. If most of his relatives are doctors or lawyers, it is probably expected that he will also become a doctor or lawyer. In some cases, breaking with tradition might not be too big a deal. The character might start off at college with the intent to become a doctor, decide it’s not for him, and change his major to English literature. In other families, this is sacrilege. Parents who are paying for a child’s education can be the most vocal about his decision to change the course of his career and education—and the most likely to see the results they want. Unless the character is able to pay his own way, he may well be obliged to do what his family expects. Even if he can make his own way, the tidal wave of disapproval that’s sure to crash over him can make life difficult for him, whether or not it actually deters him from following his dreams.

Family can pressure a character where home life is concerned, as well. If the character has a large extended family with relatives who are happily married, he is probably expected to marry and raise his own family, possibly at a young age. Awkwardness ensues as every girlfriend he brings home elicits the question, “So when are you getting married?” Further awkwardness ensues as the achievement, at last, of his long-awaited marriage elicits the question, “Why don’t you two have kids yet?” when they’ve been married less than a month. And if the character is queer, he might meet with more than the usual amount of disapproval—not simply because he might marry a man, but because “But how will I have any grandchildren?”

(Sounds of a guilt-inducing mother sobbing in the background.)

As a species, we don’t much like change, and, of course, it’s always easiest to follow the path you know. So the careers, education, and home life of a character’s family is likely to put a lot of pressure on him, particularly if he wants to go his own way. After all, these are the people who raised him, who have been the driving force in his life since he was born. That’s why family can influence a character’s life so much more heavily, in some ways, than friends or romantic interests.

Self-esteem. “Wait,” you’re thinking to yourself. “I haven’t exactly reviewed the course material, but I’m pretty sure that self-esteem was on the last list, too.”

Well, kids, you are absolutely right. A+ for this week’s lesson. All relationships have some bearing on self-esteem, of course. However, I include it as a point for both romantic and familial relationships because I think it has the most to do with these kinds of relationships. A romance is more likely pursued if a character has the self-confidence to pursue it; in a related manner, potential partners often find people who exude self-esteem more attractive. (Or, if not exactly more attractive, at least more noticeable.) And family—for much the same reason as its effect on life expectations—can affect a character’s self-esteem enormously. A family that is supportive of a character’s endeavors, allows her to try things out for herself and test her limits, and encourage continued efforts after a failure is likely to turn out a character with high self-esteem. A family that constantly demeans a character’s dreams and invalidates her emotions sends the message that she is worthless and thus is more likely to create low self-esteem within the character.

Of course, this does not always follow. A character can come from a loving, supportive family but have low self-esteem; a different character can come from a judgmental family but have high self-esteem. But, as with the other points mentioned today, family is the first influence and thus often an important one.

Still, we can’t forget the importance of friends! Come back next week to join the discussion on fraternal relationships.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:00 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LOOKING GOOD
written by Skydreamer < PM: >

Welcome to my first official wellness article for squills! Yay! *Music plays and a party appears.*

Growing up in many different countries was wonderful, being able to live in China as a black girl, was wonderful. That said, I was very different. And when you're a kid, and in your pre-teens and stuff you start to become more self-conscious about what other people think of you and how other people see you. I remember the first time that I really got to dress up fancy, I was such a nervous wreck, but I was thinking to myself, "Oh I look pretty, someone will notice."

And nobody did.

Time and time again, I was insecure about my looks. I have a strange face (hey, no worries, I'm just being honest here!). My face can look cute, it can look like a model, it can look like a tired mother of five children, and it can look...kind of boy-ish. And when I was a kid especially, I often looked like a boy. To the extent that one Chinese lady asked once “他是妞的还是男的?” Which translates to “Is she a girl or a boy?” It was very funny. And I tell this story sometimes, but yeah, I was kind of like my name, unisex, you didn’t know which gender I was. Haha, and so at times I have this fear of looking like a boy. Another insecurity would be my back. My mom hounds me on this (as she should to help me) because my back is bent quite a bit, and the irony is that it’s because of insecurity. So I’m insecure about what happened, because I was insecure. It’s a dangerous cycle!

So, I have many other insecurities, but these two are one of the biggest ones. As well as the issue of hair, now girls we know that for us, hair is a frustrating deal. However, weirdly enough, even though I am an African girl, I was not overly obsessed with how my hair was done when I was younger. Although now, I think I’m starting to get there because of my natural hair goals. But I won’t even go into that. Hair deserves a whole other post.

Anyways, so about my insecurities, why am I bringing this up? Why do I tell these stories? Because I’ve realized certain things about them that I’d like to share. As for my boy-ish look, I’ve kind of grown to accept it as a “tough” “don’t you mess with me” “gangster” kind of look. I decided to accept it as a part of my look, and decided to find what about it, that I love and appreciate. And I suggest, that if there is a part of your face or your body that you’re not so fond of, that you do the same. Find something about it that you really like. One of the things I found out was that despite my face, my eyes scream feminine no matter what. I realized that I have nice eyes. And long eyelashes (I won’t get into that though, because I’m fighting some doubts about their beauty, haha.) With that, I am able to bear the burden of looking boy-ish sometimes. (There's nothing wrong with looking like a boy if you want to though.)

Also I have to add, when I look the most like a boy, it’s usually when I’m sleepy or just woke up and my hair is messy, you know, that morning face? And I would think, who in the world is going to want to wake up to this, if I have someone to wake up next to. The answer seemed to be no one, I just couldn’t picture anyone dealing with me. But then, when I started to find the beauty in my mess, I realized that if someone really loved me, they would do the same too. Maybe without even thinking about it. That my friends, is true love right there. I’m sure some of you have found it and are smiling because of it. (As in you should be smiling. Hehe.)

Moving on, the story of how I dealt with my back insecurities (which still linger from time to time), is actually quite surprising to me. T-swizzle helped me. Yep, unbelievable. Taylor Swift is the person that inspired me to appreciate that aspect of myself. While I still try to improve my posture, she has helped me to ease into the process and not make the situation worse by hating that part of me or how I look. If you’re thinking, ‘why is it so unbelievable, Taylor swift is amazing!’ Then you have to know I am not her biggest fan. I remember when Love Story was extremely popular and one of my classmates played it to me, and I was all non-impressed. I wasn’t into her music that much. But I truly believe that after she without knowing, helped me to appreciate myself more, I had a little more respect for her than I did before. I’m still not her biggest fan, but I like some of her songs and I’m not embarrassed to say it. (Plus she introduced Ed to me, so...)

When Taylor Swift was busy getting all these tabloids about her dating a Kennedy or something, I just randomly decided to click on one of the articles that talked about her swim suit. Guilty pleasure okay, I do from time to time, check celebrity news, not so much anymore though. Anyways, I finished the article only half-interested, but I did notice that her back wasn’t the straightest. Then when I got to the comment section. My goodness gracious, people were mean! Although it’s not very surprising now. Someone said she had a “Granny’s posture”. And that’s when it hit me, she and I had something alike. *Gasp* And then from then, whenever I saw a picture of her, I scrutinized it. I wanted to see what she wore, and how she carried herself. Well, she wore fashionable clothes, and she carried herself extremely well. Because of that, somehow, I realized that you can really find clothes that make your body shape look good on you, no matter what it’s like.

So, I soon realized that open back clothes are beautiful for those of us with a slight hunch. We look fine with it. I learned the trade of which clothes are better for my body shape and which clothes aren’t. And it’s truly remarkable what that did to my self esteem. Now, I also learned that every part of your body, even the things that maybe you caused to yourself that make you different or odd looking, are absolutely beautiful. And from time to time, I still struggle with it, I’m not going to lie, but at the deep of my heart, I know that I’m still beautiful no matter what. That my beauty isn’t going to be compared to the world, but compared to how I choose to see it. And for some reason, Taylor making herself look really good, inspired me to think like that.

I want to finish with this, your beauty comes from within and lights the outside. If you are a wonderful person with a lovely (very you) personality, whatever your personality may be, there will be people who will find you extremely beautiful. That said, it’s better you get there first. See yourself as beautiful first. That way when someone says “You’re beautiful.” You can smile and agree with them, and look at them, and appreciate their beauty as well. You can feel confident walking down the streets even when no one else will acknowledge your beauty.

People won’t always be there to tell you that you’re beautiful or handsome, and sometimes you’re going to have to be the one to say that to yourself. Also, if you base your beauty or handsomeness on what other people think of you, when someone doesn’t think that way of you anymore, you might break. And lastly, finding a way to love your looks despite insecurities helps you to love other people’s looks, because you’ll always be looking for the special in them, for that unique beauty that they have. For that unique beauty that we all have.

Hope you enjoyed this story like, wellness article! xD Have a good week! Peace!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GENDER BIAS SURVEY ANALYSIS
written by Skydreamer < PM: >

Survey of Gender Bias (and discrimination)

Note: Some adult language used.

The introduction:

Spoiler! :
On the 5th of June, 2015, a survey was created by an aspiring Sociologist, me. The purpose of the survey was to see how gender issues and bias are perceived by people around the world, as well as to gather some information on whether or not people still felt that gender bias is an important topic amidst all the changes and improvements with some of these issues.

The survey was conducted by means of an online questionnaire posted on two of this site’s clubs. The first part of the questionnaire asked for gender and location, to get an idea of the point of view that the person was answering from. Then occupation was asked to find out where the person was in their life and to see if work had any factor in how they perceived gender issues. The second part was focused on how comfortable people were discussing gender bias/issues, if they felt they were still important, and on whether or not they felt personally that they have been discriminated against. There was a question on cat-calling in order to see how big of a problem that still is and who experiences it. Finally, the third part and the end of the survey included questions to determine how many people (of those who took the survey) felt they personally had an experience of gender bias and whether pop-culture influenced their view of gender. There was a slightly irrelevant question about the reason someone chooses a partner in a relationship that was included to see how either gender would respond to the question. The final question gives an overview of the person’s opinion on the topic as a whole.

From all the collected data, the most significant items are as follows. The significant written answers will be included in the conclusion.

In the first question of gender, 75% answered female, 20% answered men, and 5% answered other. When it came to location 70% of the participants were from The Americas, 15% from Europe, and 5% from Asia, Central America and the Pacific. This information was meant to be general rather than specific. 90% of the participants are students while 10% are both students and workers. The age group is pre-teen through mid-twenties.

The average answer to how comfortable they are discussing gender bias with friends and those around them was 7.90 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most comfortable. Therefore a lot of the participants felt as if they could talk freely about gender bias, which is actually quite surprising. When formulating the question, I did not expect the average to be so high. However, it is possible that talking about such issues in society is no longer such a taboo or as uninteresting as some may claim.

On whether or not they felt they have been discriminated against because of their gender, 85% said that they have, while 15% said that they haven’t. Then, when asked about cat-calling, which is when someone tries to get your attention through loud and inappropriate means, 55% said they’ve experienced it and 45% said they haven’t. Among the 55% one was male. This assumes then that cat-calling is still an issue, and it happens in various places in the world. However, maybe not everyone experiences it.

The next question, on whether people felt inadequate about how their gender is discussed around them, again 85% answered yes and 15% no. From this we could conclude that most have heard their gender bad-mouthed or rude words concerning their gender. When asked about whether or not pop-culture has influenced them on their perspective of gender, 80% said it has, while 20% said it hasn’t.

This suggests that pop-culture has indeed impacted how people view gender and gender roles. The final percentage-based question was to see the person’s overall view of gender bias and issues when completing the survey. 60% choose “We have to change the way gender is perceived.” 20% “I think it’s all relative to location, to age, etc.” 15% “There is a root problem we’re missing.” And 5% choose “Men are not given enough say when it comes to gender bias or discrimination.”

If there are any conclusions that could be drawn from this survey, it is that a majority (of those who took the survey) feel as if gender bias and discrimination are very much still important issues in society. However the extent of an issue they are is debatable. In the written part of the survey, there were several different answers that pointed to that conclusion. The question was “Do you think gender issues and bias are not as important as they were before, why?”

Here are a few of the responses:

Maybe they aren’t as important as some other things in the world, but to me they are still real issues that need to be solved soon.

They are still extremely important, because every day women are objectified, told they are to blame for assault, and have considerably less freedoms than men in almost all of the world.

Actually, it is important now more than ever. Everyone deserves equal and fair treatment, yet that doesn't seem to be the case at this point in time.

I don't think it should be an issue in the slightest. It was a non-issue before feminism started, hopefully it returns to that status.

Of course they're important! Perhaps white women don't face *quite* as much gender bias as they once did, but women of color face more, and when it comes to trans* people and non-binary people, I mean...most of the time they're not even recognized, or people are like, "Ew!" or "Stay the way God made you!" or what have you. And that's just people's attitudes, to say nothing of actual disadvantages in the work force and so forth.

It really depends on the context. I feel that it's just the same.

As you can see, there are a range of different answers, but the majority feel that it is still important in society today and that, at least, it should be important in society today.

Another conclusion that can be derived from this survey is that people have personally felt discriminated against and/or their gender was insulted in one way or the other. In my next written answers section, I asked “What is, in your opinion, a good example of gender discrimination or bias?”

Here are a few of the responses:

Not letting a girl join a team just because she is a girl.

Paying men more than women for the same job, turning down a job candidate because of them identifying as neither gender, etc.

This is sort of an overarching one that people don't pay much attention to, but the way fields tend to become less prestigious once they're feminized. Example: elementary school teacher (now primarily women, though once entirely men) vs. university professor (primarily men).

A kid in my class thinks women belong in the kitchen, so that's something.

My friend was groped at a water park and when she told her mother she said, "I shouldn't have worn that swimsuit."

I think excluding another gender for no good reason is the main gender-based problem in today's society, no matter how large the scale.

It can also be concluded that genders are very influenced by the media. Both genders are portrayed in the media in certain ways, so I asked “Do you feel like women are over sensualized in the media and in advertisements? Do you feel the same way about men?"

Here are some of the responses:

Both seem to be sensualized, with women more so than men. It seems to be an example of fantasy - the sensual woman and the strong muscular man.

I do feel like that both men and women are both over sensualized, but it seems to target women specifically more.

I feel like woman are more sensualized than men.

I feel that women are either called "sluts" or "prudes" and there seems to be no in between. So I would say yes, but also people want to cut sexuality out of perception of women more. While men are sensualized, I don't feel like they are as much. I feel like this is also due to the fact that society views men as the "default gender." Example: someone (a female) once said to me that they would rather read a book with a male main character because they were easier to relate to, and I have had men say that as well. So man becomes the default gender, and when a woman is in an advertisement, you're thinking, this is a lady, where society has trained us to think about men in advertisements with the thought, "this is a person."

Not really. The women in the adverts choose to be there. Well, in cases of animated women, where people just draw women that way because they feel like it, they are putting pressure on other girls to an extent to behave in a similar way, especially if those characters are seen as heroines.

Women are definitely sensualized in the media and advertisements in a way that men simply aren't. Boobs are used to sell everything, yet officials still legislate against women's rights to breastfeed in public and I think that is because they are so used to seeing boobs as sexual objects that they can't understand how they really aren't.

Yes, women are hypersexualized in media.
Men are hypersexualized, too, but, the objectification of women often ties into the broad oppression of women, so their objectification is more dangerous.

Yes, women are over sexualized and it's really not necessarily to sell a product or TV show. Men are [sexua]lized too,
but to nowhere near the same extent.

Based on those answers, it could be concluded that the majority feels women are definitely more sensualized in the media than men, although it happens to both.

The final written answer question was “Do you think that gender plays a role in what occupation one decides to go for? How so?”

Here are some of the responses:

Yes. Aside from any social expectations, men and women psychologically have some different preferences on average. Men seem to tend to be more towards goal oriented problem solving, while women more towards helping others. (This is merely "on average". Everyone is still unique.)

I do think so, because women like to go with what a lot of other women are doing, and the same goes with men.

The media and society tend to divide occupations into what is "feminine" and "masculine." While a hairdresser could be male or female, it is considered a feminine job, so many women who consider themselves feminine might want that job.

Of course it plays a role in what occupation one would decide to choose. I am a girl, and I could never do the same amount of physical work that a man could. I can, of course, make up for it by doing other things.

In the sense that some careers can be harder for each gender to get into, yes. For example, it is sometimes seen as unmanly for a man to want to be a primary school teacher. This makes it harder for men who want to care to follow their desired career paths.

Women would be underestimated if they went for a construction job. Men would be snickered at if they went for a make-up job.

...Women are less likely to take higher paying, higher demand corporate positions because we work "second shift," that is, we have to come home and take care of the family. Even though things have come a long way, the woman is still generally considered the primary caretaker. A man who works all day and comes home too late to spend time with the kids is just "bringing home the bacon," but a woman who does the same thing is a "bad mother" or "unwomanly" for putting career before family. We can't put in the extra hours such jobs often demand.

Theoretically, no gender is naturally inclined to any occupation in particular. However since we grow up surrounded by so many influences, that answer changes. Men are more likely to end up in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) careers because they have so many role models growing up of men in those careers. Bill Nye the Science Guy, Bob the Builder, and Jimmy Neutron are just a few examples. But girls don't have those role models of women in STEM. Of course, there are some, but they don't get much attention and are certainly not part of the daily experience of a young girl in the way that Jimmy Neutron, Bill Nye, and Bob the Builder are.

I feel that there is plenty of discrimination against men in many occupations nowadays, especially with jobs that require a lot of personal interaction with people. I feel that Men do not want to try and get a job at a front desk because they would be denied that kind of a position to a lady. It's more likely to find a man working in the back out of sight.

I think women sometimes get jobs because the boss thinks they're nice to look at" or women don't get jobs because the boss thinks "they're a woman and they can't do it like men can".

I don't think gender itself affects this,
but gender constructs and stereotypes do.

In conclusion, there are still many issues that have to do with gender bias and discrimination that we have to look at. There are changes being made, but, based on the survey, the world still has a long way to go. We need to keep the discussion about gender bias and discrimination open and discuss it freely. We need to provide equality for all genders when it comes to the media, how we select our occupations, what we choose to study, and in everyday interactions. And we need to think progressively on how to balance and transform our different ideas and views on gender in order to avoid any further discrimination.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed this analysis.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Victory is interested in nonfiction writing. Head over to his post in the Welcome Mat to welcome him to the site .

@HazelGrace16 is interested in YA novels and RP. Join this storybook by @TinyJarStoredDreams to role-play with her .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Jack0Skellington@hkhk@Kosaten@DeePayne@fuddledwriter@SheyneClancy@flawless166@JessyMessy@Maddy01@peninhand@Phille@Simme@HazelGrace16@BlackRose2015@BlackDiamond139@MoonyAndTonks@Bigfoot@HelloDarkness123@rainbow89048@stevo502@LittleMoments@Victory@shacoria17227@Vasha26@TeenGuardian@Liyana@Falls1994@Bitterblue@angelinawoods@UnknownDreamer@Arora@Nowshin@mralligator@velvetthrone@zoek10@wildflower@ArizonaCrowe18@Kismet99@Skoo@Bluedolphin@Naomi0583@Mikons3@ani2213@quietwoman@GhostAuthor98@Wreetarh@InspiredWriter01@BrettKianGilliam@LukeRACWIBB@celine@annewoods@Axioss@MissKatherina@Enigma1@Annabelle64@magickrupp08@Silence098@PinkAces@Jasley@Tashawna77@JoeDeF@jewels1297@forgotaboutu@StormWarning00@infernalspectre@Stormcr0w@Ilovefood1516@JamesRoyce@SimplicityB@BVCabret@nerdygirl19@ShrutiM22@JozelleClaire@camiop@p3ncils@BadFox99@princessofthestars@ty7lucky@kirsterclark13@NocturnalLights@hailey1226@LecherousGuard@LawyerFlash12

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:04 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 8/16
written by megsug < PM: >

Come one, come all! View the astounding links for this week’s roundup.

@Elysium has offered to create LGBT themed banners and avatars for users. He has already made some great ones for many people like @Morrigan’s sweet avatar featuring colors on the bisexual flag:

Spoiler! :

If you’re interested in showing your pride, ask for an avvie or banner describing what you want.

@BiscuitsBatchAvoy wants to create a politically themed storybook with a bunch of conflict. To make this happen she wants:

…Left-wingers, right-wingers, liberals, authoritarians, and with as many opposing views as possible.

If you want to get involved, take this fun quiz and post your results.

@captainearth wants to know what everyone’s top five anime’s are. @FromWithin responded (with links to all the animes listed!). Terror in Resonance is in her top five because:

There's so much action, and it's almost impossible not to finish it in one go! I loved the characters since they were so well developed.

Find the next anime you’re going to watch or list your own. This is a great thread for anime fans.

@Twit has posted a sweet thank you post that already has over thirty likes. She, like many users, expresses a change in herself that YWS helped facilitate:

I'm a massive improvement from the person and writer that I was eight years ago, and while some of that came about through, well, living, so much of that also came about through being on YWS.

She makes a lot of statements that resound with many users’ experiences and is definitely worth the read!

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Scribbles Fan Club

Are you subscribed to @Messenger and @Sunshine1113 blog's fan club? No? O.O Don't know what Scribbles is? Well Scribbles is this fun and lighthearted blog where Messy and Sunny feature:
- Your submitted short stories and poetry-
- Science stuff-
- Uplifting news from around the world-
- Epic serials written by Messenger-
- Interviews-
- Fandom battles (you can even vote!)-
- Guest writers-
- Q&A's-
- And so much more!-

Click the picture to go to the fan club:

Strange's Fan Club!

Hello! Do you like watching a 15 year old attempt to start a cult? Do you enjoy senses of humor? Well, I don't see Charlie Manson anywhere, so I'm your closest bet. Here at Strange's Fan Club, you'll see me live posting while I chug a bottle of windex, contemplate life, and ask the club what their favorite kind of Strange is! Click the picture below!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Amareth • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain