z

Young Writers Society

Squills 07/26/2015 - 08/1/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:13 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Elysium

Resources Reporter
Pretzelsing

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
AstralHunter
OliveDreams
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

JULY 2015 REVIEW DAY INTERVIEW
written by Elysium < PM: >

Hello everyone! Elysium, your community reporter here!

I interviewed YWSers @Atsmai, @Strange, @CandyWizard, and @Lumi about review day. This review day theme is Avatar and within the first 24 hours of the teams being created, there were already about 80 members joined! Now, here are the interviews!

Squills: How do you get ready for the review day festivities?

Strange: I honestly don't really get ready, I just jump in once it starts and see how far I can go. I tend to drink a lot of water.

Atsmai: plan to have a full day of reviewing so I don't have any plans on Sunday when Review day comes.

CandyWizard: As I'm sure you know, Ely, reviewing can be tiring business, so I do my best to get as much sleep as I can. I drink plenty of water, and exercise my fingers as often as I can. When review day comes, I'll go so high on sugars that I'll stay hyper until I can write no more.

Lumi: This is actually the first rDay I've been able to participate in for a long while. So for this particular review day, I took one of the reins in the hype train to try and get people pumped for the actual event itself. Other than that, I've just been reading a lot of poetry and fic in prep for the actual reviewing!

S: Are you excited for the Avatar Review Day?

S: Sure.

A: Yes. This will be the first one I'll actually be reviewing in, I was busy last time, and better yet, the theme is Avatar!

CW: No, honestly, I'm not. I regret to say that I have never seen anything Avatar, but I can definitely understand the hype.

L: I am! The plan developed really quickly and got almost unanimous support from the staff--so before everyone else got a chance to be excited, @StellaThomas and @Iggy and I were practically foaming at the mouth. Avatar is the most important series in Nickelodeon history, after all.

S: How many reviews are you planning to do?

S:10, for my first blue star

A:As many as I can, maybe I'll get tired and stop, I plan to do at least.... 7.

CW:As many as I can, really. I cannot estimate at this point, but it can be anything from one to ten to thirty. I don't have any plans for Sunday, but life is like a vending machine - you never know what you're gonna get, if it lets you!

L: My goal is at least five. That may seem low, but I'm going to be working around swing shifts and squeezing in enough sleep to keep me going--so I think five is actually a pretty tough goal for me for right now. Plus, I want to review at least one chapter, one article, one poem, and one short story. I like to stay versatile.

S: And finally, which team will you be representing?

S: Earth Nation!

A: THE FIRE NATION, which I hope will be renamed The Fire Ferrets, as that name got my vote :D

CW: I represent the Air Nomads. Our motto is: Our strong winds shall evaporate the water, they shall extinguish the burning flames, and blow away the small crumbs of earth.

L: Air Nomads! I'm totally embracing the concept of being the leaf. The one drawback is that I'm not currently bald...so maybe I should work on that.

Some pretty great answers! Thank you all for your time and happy review day!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:16 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by megsug < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@GoldenBroom, @Lissa, and @PatternsInPaintChips have done one review. Check out Chances by PatternsInPaintChips.

@Ronald559 and @Catlover211 have both done twenty-three reviews. Check out Ronald’s portfolio as well as Catlover’s .

@Rumi and @Ghaylle22 both have five reviews. Ghaylle’s portfolio need reviewers.

@mermaidwriter is planning on working on a story about mermaids. @mgprettiess is a Vampire Diaries fan, and @Archaeopteryx is a geologist. Say hi to him on his Welcome Mat post .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Shuchi99@Etta28@sarcasm101@Ezzie01@jadedwaterlily@kyria3910@CaeliNoSora@ImAsad@georgiachurchill@Fernypop@mango@EnixAddict@C00ki3428@GenevieveYWS@DylanInsomnia@VirgoClouds@ASmallBitInsane@Hekr77@Samiksha14@kjk@blueranger00842@ShayleeHarrison@noncaynos@baroquefox787@jacobwhit17@lolzmbpel@Meyling@Servar@Capas@vpindia@Mar@gowthambala • @prbhathmathew • @MissEly95@wasper@LinaEladnore@Nawabkhan595@juliettalove@anonymou56@michaeldiluia012891@GeorgiaMasonIII@dsteph19@Prasanth@OshinAhlawat@jegde1479 • @nickparker0606 • @jennykl1@Schuylermadison@aishwaryajnair@starryeyes@butrflizeismytumblr@Liverpul@heartspeak@Zora@lelittlebuns@shfly1207@Brian12@Omwanza@Keenan1@solara137 • @LavenderTheFarie • @Ainsleywhite@civilizedbrat@TalesOFaMadman@Muskan@SabyCs@akshatg7@itsmaxinee@tbear123@yma2020@AikaChi@LaurenThomsxn@saumil2000@KitCat@Researcher@ChandanaThashnath@Sakethestargazer@RiaDaisy@Partyperson@BritFish@readysaltedcrisps@Mary3 • @Mary3mcd • @Greene

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 7/26
written by megsug < PM: >

Admire art, introduce a character of yours, or get lectured at. It can all be found on this week’s roundup!

@mephistophelesangel has started an art thread. She doesn’t just show the finished product but the entire process from sketching to color. @Zolen’s favorite so far is:

Spoiler! :

Most of mephistophelesangel’s inspiration has come from books right now though she has also drawn a picture out of frustration. All of her pictures are nice to look at. Check them out for yourself today!

@plathonstone wants to know what the pint of poetry is. As a poetry lover herself, she’s curious about what others think. Despite the great question, only @Lumi has responded. He thinks:

...Poetry is written with the purpose of evocation. Facilitating empathy.

After a short dissection of why people write in general, Lumi’s answer makes a lot of sense, but I’d like to see what other people think.

@Emerson created a thread to introduce characters in 2008. The technical rule is that the introduction can be one sentence long, but that has been bent or completely snapped in half many times. Reading through the thread is fun. You’ll run across intros including backstory, snippets of character development or just small details. I like @catmuffin’s short blurb a lot:

Hello, my name is Snow-White. I may or may not be schizophrenic :)

How would your characters introduce themselves?

@Flite has blessed us all with some indepth info on sleep and how important it is. They explain sleep cycles, give you fun (and terrifying) facts about the effects of lack of sleep on your body, and useful tips like:

Stop using electronic devices 45 minutes before bed, blue blight doesn't stimulates wakefulness. If this is too long for you, start with 15 minutes. Or just turn off the wiki and pick up a good book.

I think everyone should give this a read and rethink how they sleep and if it’s healthy enough.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:19 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Amareth • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin