z

Young Writers Society

Squills 06/28/2015 - 07/05/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:10 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Pretzelsing

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master

General Reporters
AstralHunter
OliveDreams
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

My characters frequently start their stories off alone.

Imagine the typical Disney character, with a parent tragically dead. Only now imagine that both parents are dead or missing, friends are absent, and significant others are nonexistent.

Oh, yeah: and imagine that virtually every character is this isolated.

I think I write my characters this way because I’m an isolated person. I have a great family and great friends, but I’m so closed off. My mom says I live in my head too much.

Recent events have pulled me out of my head (somewhat), and in the process I’ve realized just how not isolated I am. At every turn, people I love--people I was nonetheless afraid would judge me, chastise me, or try to box me up--have instead expressed support and affection. The thought makes me so happy I could cry.

For whatever reason, it seems that isolation often works its way into our writing: a character is too weird for friends, too old and wise for us to imagine a family history, too naive to have any experience with dating. But in real life, as John Donne famously said, “No man is an island.” Even if a person’s relationships with the people around them are bad, they still exist. In the coming weeks, we’ll examine the important roles that four different types of relationships play in a character’s life: romantic, familial, fraternal (friendship rather than brotherly definition), and antagonistic.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:12 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

I’m delighted to let you all know that @CaptainSaltWater has stopped by to share their absolute faves in the world of books. I love Salty’s enthusiasm, friendliness & all round fun attitude in all aspects of this site so I’m happy for others to see the same!

Here goes!

Something New:

The Bully Book by Eric Kahn Gale

Eric Haskins, the new sixth-grade bully target, is searching for answers. And unlike many of us who experienced something awful growing up, he finds them. Though they may not be what he expected.

CaptainSaltWater I would have to say The Bully Book by Eric Kahn Gale. I have read it, and I really did like it. It was very interesting, because the MC's best friend turns on him and starts bullying him. And what caused that, was the bully book.

Something Familiar:

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

In 2009 Malala Yousafzai began writing a blog on BBC Urdu about life in the Swat Valley as the Taliban gained control, at times banning girls from attending school. When her identity was discovered, Malala began to appear in both Pakistani and international media, advocating the freedom to pursue education for all. In October 2012, gunmen boarded Malala's school bus and shot her in the face, a bullet passing through her head and into her shoulder. Remarkably, Malala survived the shooting.

CSW: It's actually an autobiography, and it is I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. I really don't know if it's mainstream, but I still did love the book. It was a very interesting read, because learning about the women's rights in third-world countries like those make us feel grateful and lucky, but also sad and angry.

Something Loved:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

CSW: It would have to be Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I really love YA Dystopian Novels, especially books like Divergent and Maze Runner. When I first picked up the book and read it, I was immediately obsessed. The movie was as good as the book, but definitely not better.

Thank you CaptainSaltWater! I love that you recommended a biography. I think that’s the first time that’s happened! It’s good to get in touch with reality once in a while...especially for such a great personal story.

See you next week book lovers! xD

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:13 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUMMER TIME TIPS
written by Skydreamer < PM: >

During summer one of the most sacred times in a busy school or work year, some people are stuck on how to spend it when it gets here. Well, without further ado, these are some pretty simple and fun ways to spend the excess time during summer. It's best to let summer time be a peaceful time for the mind, a relaxation for the body, and a exciting time for the heart. Let's go through some of the ten things we all could be doing during the summer.

1. Exercise

Now bare with me, I know, that sounds horrible. However, the reality is the only reason why it's so horrible is because we usually force ourselves to do it, and we don't enjoy it. Why not go biking or running in the early mornings? Take long walks to close destinations. Go mountain hiking, or just go to a really big mall where you have to walk for hours. Or go play paintball and do some live action instead of a game one. You know what? Just go outside and walk to a friends house, explore your vicinity. Go swimming! Oh, or dancing! However small or big, do something that involves some movement, get your blood circulating and do it with a huge smile on your face. It's fun to be healthy! Hehe.

2. Make Something

We have a lot of brilliant people on YWS who are creating things whether they be stories or online games, or coding a system similar and/or better than paint (cough, @Amareth, cough). It's important to feel productive by your own will, and do something that you can be proud of, not for a grade, but because you want to do it! Also, it keeps the brain active and working during a time it could easily slouch. Make a system for yourself, make some food, make a scarf! It doesn't matter how intricate or simple the thing you're creating is, as long as it came from your creativity and your efforts, it was worth it and you should be proud of it!

3. Find Something

Recently, as I was exploring (which is something I rarely do, let me tell you) and I found a coffee shop where I least expected it, and it really helped me to write in a way I hadn't for a long time. Sometimes it's good to find something unexpected in order to inspire you or impact you in a positive way. Go out of the comfort zone and look for something new. Maybe find a new resturant, or find a new flavor of ice cream? Search google like @carbonCore does and find something you didn't know about the world! Whatever it may be, learning something new doesn't only educate us academically but, it helps us to be more informed about the world around us.

4. Eat something absolutely delicious

Now this isn't so much about using your time wisely, and is more about enjoying your summer. Find the one dish, food, plate, sanwich, dessert, that you just love, and eat it. Yep, just enjoy it. I mean during the school year usually everyone's busy trying to get on school on time, and then busy with school, and then busy worrying about school, it's very possible that food doesn't really taste as good. And I understand that summer isn't always free for everyone, but even for the few moments when summer is, take the chance to really enjoy what you're eating. It can make you very happy.

5. Breathe

I don't do yoga, and sometimes I wonder if I should. But whether or not you do yoga or anything calming for yourself, anything that stretches you and relaxes you, I say, take a moment to just breath. Close your eyes, think about the fact that you are alive and able to breathe, and then just inhale and exhale. It is a wonder how our body works and how we able to take breaths and live our lives, and know we are doing this. I mean it's truly beautiful that we understand that we are alive and that we can question and search for what we do not understand. We have brains that function and imagination, and if you live in a first world country, you have a daily routine of sorts, a life that moves steadily. When you are hungry and you have money, you can go to the store to buy food. Your friends and you can go hang out, you might have a car, you might use public transportation. We all exchange money, it's a routine. We know that every time we take a breath we are still living beings and have a chance to live our lives. So take a breath. Take a deep breath and appreciate that you can.

6. Go to a Science Museum, an Art Museum, a Concert, an Amusement Park, a Poetry Reading, a Jam Session, or anything that brings people together for the appreciation of something beautiful or fun.

It's good to take the chance of some extrat time, to gather with people in a place where you're all there for something similar, and are all glad to be there. During school it's like everyoneis stuck together and yes, it brings people together but it's also sometimes a negative atmosphere, especially when no one likes the class or the teacher or anything about school. However, during the summer you can gather with people who are in some place because they want to be. And that is a wonderful thing. When I was in Germany and I got to meet @Baesch, we went to a poetry reading and it was a blast. I don't understand German, but I still ended up laughing and having a really good time. It was the atmosphere, everyone was into the reading, the poets were enthusiastic, it was golden, there were disco lights. It's good to be in that kind of an atmosphere. So take the chance to try it out this summer.

7. "Smell the roses.."

I know, said so many times, by way too many people. But it's true, it's good to notice small things, to look at and soak in the sunrise. It's fun to ocassionally dance in the rain, or look out the window on a beautiful day to see birds building a nest. I challenge you to take half a day outside without your phone. If you want you can take the whole day, and just have a picnic with your friends or someone special. It's about enjoying the way the wind blows through the leaves, and seeing the dew on the grass. It's about noticing how beautiful daisies really are, or how resilient plants are to concrete. It's about really connecting with the nature around us, and not the machines that help us.

8. Watch interesting TV shows and movies! (And Read)

Originally, I was thinking of recommending some, but I don't think I should. I think everyone has what's unique and interesting to them, and so I say, go watch it! Don't watch something typical or re-made. Watch something special. You could do like @Autumns and just go through all the critcally acclaimed or nominated movies, or you could watch a documentary, or you could watch an educational YouTube. Watch something that adds something to your life, you be the judge of that. (I should add, reading is waaay more cooler than watching TV shows or movies, however, I feel like it's a given a majority of us are reading this summer. That said, reading interesting books is definitely a good use of summer.)

9. Talk to people

When I say that, I mean, talk to your friends for hours and hours, spend quality time. I'm pretty sure that's unnecessary to say, but think about it, everyone has a second life, an inner them, a hidden part of themself they don't really let most people see. You wouldn't want your friend to be secretly hurting themselves and you totally unaware. Now I'm not saying it's always that serious or deep, but it's important to take the time to really know people beyond surface level. And of course, don't only talk to your friends, talk to other people, like they matter, and find out things about your neighbors or those around you, you never knew before. And I'm serious when I say, even talk to your parents, find out things you didn't know about them. They had, and still have a life, too. Ask people questions that are a bit beyond surface level and see how they respond. Instead of just "How are you?" maybe be more specific, ask about family, if you know them well, and if you don't, just take interest in what they have to say,if anything. Most of all, show you actually want to listen.

10. And that brings us to the last tip...Take a risk

Allow yourself one risky thing this summer. Do something different that is also a risk. Not something dangerous, but something risky. Maybe ask a daring question, tell someone something you've been wanting to say. Go somewhere you're usually not too keen on going. Help someone you're not so sure deserves it, or whatever little thing you want to do, that'll make your summer worth something to you. Taking risks are usually synonymous with being brave. I once saw a quote that said something like "Being brave is not facing your fears and conquering them, but it's seeing your fears and walking through them." Just take a small chance. But make sure it's worth it! : )

And that's it for this week! Hope you have a great summer YWS and you truly enjoy it! Peace!

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ASKGRUNO
written by Gruno < PM: >

Welcome to Ask Gruno, the advice column in which stuff happens. Gruno will answer any questions you throw at him, be it advice, personal opinion, solutions or philosophy. This week 3 questions will be answered. My cousin Pruno has been busy at the wonderful school for Pruno people, so I will be taking over the column. Every now and again, Pruno may make an appearance, so never fear! May the question answering commence!

Dear Magnificent Overlord King Dictator of The Entire Universe, Gruno,
What would you say is the most commonly made mistake in poetry?

The Court Jester of The Magnificent Overlord King Dictator of The Entire Universe, Gruno

To My Loyal Jester,
There are a few things people do that just makes my teeth grind. These are a few of them.

For starters, people who rhyme just for the sake of rhyming. Especially in an emotional poem. When you have a jaunty rhyme in a poem that is supposed to be sad and you find yourself reading it over and over again, it makes the poem seem disjointed. Rhyming is actually a lot more difficult than people think because many people make the mistake of thinking “I’m rhyming so the rhythm will be fine.” No, the rhythm will most definitely NOT be fine!

Writing about the same things over and over again. We understand, you’re upset that you had your heart broken. We get that being homosexual or otherwise is difficult and you think you’re not accepted because friends and family are tough on you (but the truth is most people in the world actually do accept same sex marriage) and believe me, I will be the first to tell you that bullying and cutting are both difficult things to go through. It’s great to write about those things because they’re things we deal with everyday in our society. Just put a twist on it. Write from a different POV, highlight some things not many people know about the topic. And then try to write about other stuff. Nobody ever writes about feminine inequality. Nobody writes about how women aren’t allowed in basic combat in the military. Nobody writes about the objectification of MEN in society either. It happens.

The third and final mistake that everybody makes simply when reviewing poetry. Unless the punctuation or capitalization disrupts the rhythm, don’t say anything about it. If you know you have OCD and something like that will bug you but not others DON’T INCLUDE THAT IN YOUR REVIEW. I used to capitalize the first letter of every line of my poetry and people would tell me it was wrong. Yes, I get it. I know it’s there because I go back to my published page and read it about a thousand times because I’m proud of my work. But it made me happy. SO STOP RAINING ON MY PARADE.

I do believe this is the longest answer to a question I’ve ever written.

-Gruno

Dear You,
How can one be as cool as Iron Man? Just curious.
-Batman

Dear Batman,
First of all, Iron Man is unbeatable. You can’t even reach his level of coolness. However, you are probably the only one who comes close to it because unlike most superheroes, you are the only other one who doesn’t actually have any powers. You rely on technology.

There is one more reason why you, personally, can never be as cool as Iron Man. Because Marvel is better than DC. I can send you chocolates and a one month membership to Netflix in case you need help with the rejection if you like.

Batman, you may not be as cool as Iron Man, but you’re still pretty freakin’ awesome.

Love,
Gruno

PS. Can I have your autograph?

Dear Someone,
There is a theory that Taylor Swift is a bunny, thoughts?

Evidence that she is actually a bunny: in her Shake it Off video, she hopped like a bunny at 1:57.
-Fan

Dear Fan,
Yes I do believe she is a bunny now that I think about it! Tay Swift is simply too cute to not be some sort of tiny woodland animal. And she did used to have rather large teeth back when she still sang music that resembled but wasn’t really country. And… your evidence suggests that she is.

HOLY CRAP. SOMEBODY REPORT THIS TO TMZ OR MTV OR WHATEVER YOU KIDS WATCH THESE DAYS.

Sincerely, a Very Baffled But Still Extremely Attractive,
Gruno

Okay my fellow Runians! I love writing this column just as much as you all enjoy reading it. However, if you guys don't submit questions for me to answer, I will have to find another job. So, if you have a conundrum, click this link .

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@charu051197@Warrior54@jennacole02@mannat • @PhoenixGray • @Galaxy@ccamp913@wonderinglifeless@FuerzaMonarcas@redmask38@SuperScribe@Carden02@WaltzingWishes@bookhideout@sleepingbeauty@christinalorence • @technews • @Michelle13@Mahim@Meeash1229@kevinpeter@ruth200@RebelRebel74@MeganD@pjsquill@CharlieScott@TheycallmeTK@TheRappa@ilovesararivas@HereInSecret@lavare1331@whoaitsbritt@Riya4@Dess@BornLoser@sayantan4119@Bunny234@poet3199@thedevilandgod@Bingbot@imsp@tutuldami@Clint7174@paperclip@itsmahoro@SilverApples@NoirAngel@GoldenGirl@AlexisFerguson@SweetAloha44@benc • @markav • @xXCowLogicXx@ko23134@Rey@jefflong99@Centurion@lollypop8201@Kellymarieh@Iqratoheed@hunith@DangerousOverlord@Sujato7@lfs14@Kohaku@Dchairman@TheImperfectWriter@404Random@Shreyash@midnightlightsxx@harrah@aanchal01@Authorpink14@dacfghe@Authorpink16@Eunoia@EdHorton@preusspre18@VincentOfEngland@callmemisscool@nesbittwrites@axer15@ReflectiveWizard@emicatt@ChocolateCello@AnonymousR@AnonAccount@KaylaTheWriter18@hananoelle@MckieC@batrisyia@deepanwitadey@mammad

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

RESOURCES RELAYS - 6/28
written by:Pretzelsing < PM: >

Hello fellow Squillians. Welcome to another exciting week of Resources Relay, which I (Pretzelsing) am ready to present(*cough* post *cough*) to you. Today we have four cool links that I strongly recommend you check out! I have been noticing that the traffic in the Resources Center of YWS has been slow,so please post your replies and awaken dead threads. We need the buzz of activity on there!

1. Book-writing issues

We all have them,and experience them with our own novels. @TimmyJake was asking the writers of YWS, what he should do about a book that he's working on. He is wondering if he should have a break from editing, because he feels like the story is bland when he goes over to read it, reread it,and edit it (woah,this is his 4th year working on it and he think it's his final draft! :o )

@Arkhaion puts it like this:

There are such things called "reading objectively" and "reading subjectively", and they're why it's actually important in many cases to give yourself some time off before you go back to edit, and why you should probably give yourself a break if you feel like it.

She points out the specific differences between "reading objectively and subjectively" in her continuing post,so if you are interested in gleaning some information, then please check it out!

2. One sentence summary

@Sureal is looking for very brutally honest feedback. Should he start writing a novel idea,and does it interest you? I would like to include the short one sentence summary here:

A teenager battling social anxiety has her only friend snatched away by the evil lurking within the post-apocalyptic colony they have mysteriously woken up in, and must now overcome her disorder to work with strangers if she is to save her friend.

What do you think,fellow readers? Go and tell Sureal your opinion,to give him some concrete feedback!

3. Formating Poetry #3

My favorite number alings yet again! @Monster wrote an extensive article on how to format poetry in the Publish Center, a couple of days ago. If you are wondering how to do this,or having trouble figuring things out as a newbie, please feel free to click on the link above.

The explanation is simple; the official textbox that translates the code from what you see to code the computer interprets and displays ends up looking different (and always worse). I don't think it is made very well for poetry because each line break is interpreted as a whole paragraph according to the code, which makes a simple new line seem like it is double spaced (that hurts the flow and clarity of the poem).

He then goes up to give us helpful instructions and images to guide us through this process. I believe that he deserves some reorganization with his new article, so please drop a like on the thread!

4. Steam's Reviews

@steampowered recently opened a new thread in the Will Review for Food section of our website.If you know her at all, you know that she review like . . . steamy would ;) She is ready to get going and outlines precisely how her review usually look like:

I always take a great deal of care and time when reviewing, and NEVER try and rush reviews. Here is my reviewing priority list:

- Formatting
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Problems with plot
- Characterisation and worldbuilding

That's the last link for this week's Resources Relay. I hope that you enjoyed reading and browsing through our Resources Center, and I hope that you have an awesome week full of summery,sunshine, and ice cream!(or iced-tea if you prefer) See you next time!(or next week on Sunday :))

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 6/28
written by megsug < PM: >

Four links! For character builders, novel writers, storybookers, and people with a hobby, any hobby. Dive into YWS~

In 2009 @Lorrilrakest. started a thread which @JKHatt revived recently this year. The purpose is to describe what one of your characters in a situation the user that posted before you suggested. I like @NightWalker’s response to @Buggiedude2340’s situation about taco stands:

"Heh. Tacos. Probably poisoned, probably a trap. I think I'll pass."
~Fin Grace, Falling Deep

The current situation is centered around being stranded on a world composed of millions of books that make up one story that @PickledChrissy came up with. Get into your character’s head today.

@Rydia is giving the downlow on those new tags you may have noticed around. She explains what they are and how they’re helpful for Storybooks. If you want a tag for your storybook, Rydia tells you what to do:

If you'd like to add or change a tag on your Storybook, simply contact any moderator for the Storybook section.

Learn more about the wonders of tags!

@prithamrittika wants to know what everyone’s hobbies are other than writing (of course!). There have been really cool ones from running to crafts to book hoarding. @MadedoOtter has a bunch of hobbies, but her first two are great:

Number 1. I collect. Coins. So far I've got coins from 70 different countries.
Number 2. I love buying hats and hand watches.

Let the rest of YWS know what you do in your free time.

The second Last Man Standing is about to start. Members have until July 13th to sign up. Twenty-four people have signed up so far. How to do that, you ask? Tenyo answers in the welcome post to LMS II :

Post your response in the Sign Up Thread, and include which challenge you'll take (Warrior or Rogue.)

Are you up to the challenge? Sign up and see.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Squills: Now Hiring

Details about the hiring process and available positions can be found by clicking on the image above.

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:19 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Amareth • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli • @Wolfare1 • @malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @CaptainSaltWater • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @ArtStyx • @IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14