z

Young Writers Society

Squills 04/26/2015 - 05/02/2015

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Available – PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master

General Reporters
AstralHunter
Omni
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLUBS!
written by Skydreamer < PM: >

Clubs are essential to any online community, like forums, they bring people together, but they also help gather people with similar interests. A lot of YWSers have made friends or had fun conversations through the clubs, so let's not leave clubs hanging!

Without further ado, here are some of the various different clubs that we should be keeping an eye on. First, "The Unknown", clubs that people haven't joined for some reason, or clubs where there isn't a lot of activity. Then, "The Beginners", clubs that have at least a couple of members, and are pretty active, but they were just recently created. And last but not least we have "What to Watch For" where all the various 'newsworthy', pretty entertaining clubs are added. Alright, let's get it buzzing!

The Unknown

First I thought to share the Abuse Support club created by @Craz.

It's a serious and important topic and I think that it's a great cause to be a part of. Stand against domestic abuse, and join the club! The about page definition is quoted below.

This club is centered around reminding people of both genders that no one is alone in the fight against domestic abuse. Whether you just want to show support, know someone who is being victimized, or is a victim yourself, share your story and know that you are not helpless.

Let's move on to the Ukulele club created by @Buttercup, it is a fun looking club, and who says you have to know how to play the instrument? Just join to support, or if you like the sound of it!

Post your favorite ukulele songs and musicians or even put a link to some of your favorite ukulele songs just share your love for the UKULELE!

It's all about sharing that Ukulele love!

There's also a club, created by @Tatsu, for the lovers of Anime! I'm pretty sure there are many other similar clubs, but it's sad to see this one hanging empty and dead-like when anime is so animated and alive. Yep, did that. It's called The Anime and Manga Club

Finally, who doesn't love TV? TV Addicts was created by @Gringoamericano. It's meant to be a way to discuss, review, and rant over various different TV shows and programs. It's a great platform to share thoughts about what you're watching.

The Beginners

The Walking Dead Club

Now, I know there are more Walking Dead fans out there who should be joining this club! If you are a Walking Dead fan, the creator of this club @Joe, is really very enthusiastic about it! There are regularly updated posts, and funny ones too! It also keeps those who love the show stable until it comes back.

And if you're into sinister writing of evil proportions, you should check this out,

The Evil Writers Society created by @AdrianMoon

This club is created so villainous authors can band together and talk about their absolutely malicious ideas.

How can you not want to join? It sounds like an absolutely fun and conniving club to join. Mwhahaha.

On a lighter side, let's look into the art and beauty of music.

Music of all types created by @AmatuerWritings is about music and music alone, and I think it's meant to be a way to share what music motives our writing.

Tell us what you listen to when you write, or when you do anything! Tell us who inspires you, tell us the songs you've written, fallen in love with, or absolutely hate!

What to Watch For

Movie Buffs Created by: @ArcticMonkey

We all know that movies are all the rage. This club usually updates reviews and thoughts about the latest movies, or the latest movies watched. Enjoy!

Scribbles Fan Club Created by: @Sunshine1113

It's based on a blog and the blog itself is worth watching, because it's pretty funny and ecstatic, but the updates are fun to see as well.

I'm Reading... Created by: @Emerson

Want to know which book to read next? See what your fellow YWSers are reading by heading over to this club. Want to share a book you love that you're reading? It's the best place to do so.

YWS Confessions Created by: @umaima

This club has always been a hub for funny statements, honest confessions, or just about anything someone wants to say. It's a great place to go if you want to laugh, think, cry, confess something yourself, or just chill. Join it to see more! It's lovely.

And that's it for the clubs update, this week! Do check out the clubs tab, and have fun looking at the suggested clubs above, or whatever club you'd like!

Have a good week!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:50 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SPOTLIGHT INTERVIEW

written by Skydreamer < PM: >

There is something special about love, it grabs all of our hearts. There are many forms, and the love of family is one of the strongest ones. This week's Spotlight Interview is about a quite lovely piece of prose that @Noelle wrote and posted. It got to the spotlight and after reading it myself, I found it was really sweet and inspirational. Here are the questions I asked to find out more about the poem.

Squills: What inspired you to write/post this?

Noelle: I was inspired to write this piece after the little girl I used to babysit moved back to Greece. I had babysat her basically since she was a baby, nearly four years. We both really enjoyed all the time we spent together and she started to feel like family. So when her mother told me they were moving back to Greece, I was devastated. They left about a month ago and I still miss them every day. This piece is just me letting out my emotions. So it's more of a family/parental love than just love in general.

S: It's nice to see family love in the forefront. Were you surprised to see your work in the Spotlight?

N: I was surprised to see it in the spotlight actually. I thought I would just get a few reviews and then it would get out of the Green Room. Seeing as this is a really personal piece, it made me happy that people enjoyed it.

S: What would you change (if anything) about it?

N: I wouldn't change anything because it means a lot to me. I got some good comments about how I could make it better, but I feel like adding those changes would take away from the meaning and memories behind it.

S: What was the reaction you were hoping for?

N: Honestly, I wasn't looking for any reaction. I just wanted to share something that meant a lot to me. If people liked it, awesome. If it was just cast to the side, that would've been okay too.

S: What writing advice can you give someone, based on your poem?

N: My advice to anyone is to just write what you think will work. Don't get too wrapped up in figurative language and making everything flow just right. If it's something you're passionate about, write it!

Lots of thanks to @Noelle for her input!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

After a deadline extension to allow for more entries, the Adventures in Writing Description Contest is finally over! The votes are in and the winners have been decided. The winners are…

In first place, @megsug with the description of a caravan traveling through a harsh desert environment.

In second place, @rhiasofia with the description of a character dealing with the aftermath of her sister's death.

In third place, @ShadowVyper with the description of a fantasy character who has differing traits: feared by soldiers but kind to children and tired but careful about his appearance.

It was difficult to decide on the winners with all the fantastic entries I received. All the participants submitted descriptions that painted a picture, described unusual details of characters or settings, and avoided dull list descriptions. Thank you to all entrants, and congratulations to all winners!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Nunyabusiness has already completed their first review star. Head over to their wall to congratulate them !

@Vikingr has been really active in the forums! Go here to see all his posts and find out more about him .

@angelXOX has posted a poem called “Words Exchanged.” Click here to read it and leave a review !

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Lawliet@Birdy@shesawildflower@urvom001@bishnuc@Dtrainy@Beatrice@IncohesiveScribbles@xsassmasterx@Ayben@icarusmasaru@xSaturn@Slightlysadoatmeal@rainbowslol12@queendean@CreativePen@stelxlarsana@deonargail@AnonSorryNotSorry@drainyd@MysticalLord@SadieKane@orchigu@anvita@ThatLittleAuthor@MaggieLyons77@LiaSevans@Hanyauku@FanfarLordOfFlame@fantasydragon01@AJb@TealElephant@MrsSparrow@Rosebud@Dingaling@MiseryCompany@jungurait8@Nidhi@sadboys@NEH28@PoeticBravo@seenbean@KeferJohannes@Truebluedub97@Frostpie@Bobadob@Avenger715@Zaca@Neapolitan@AnubisFire@Gabrielle11@Ziggy05@SilverTigress@Luthien@KatelynLoves5SOS@Holiday30@SirAnonymousV@Mikayla386@juveriah@GreenOwl@Smileyface062@Sartre@annemyrtle@khushboo@zistPhilliq@evil1ord@VioletRampage@sipranayak50@Blake@SWaffles@TheOneNamedBrandon@tmalm1@TM123@GRR@Amanda0625@anaamendes@Vikingr@Whisker59@PhantomPenguin@PhatomPiranaha • @Nunyabusiness • @lovelylue419@ShadowedStart@Gracious@ZillHuda@itsnotmycupoftea@TC36 • @BethAlex22W • @griffinbryan333@Zinnn@123asd@Mkwazi@IAmLokiofSassgard69@violetxorchid@Gerbeh@sowmia@Myota@CJF2005@whitneyjoy@Polly@pranjalSubhash@diyanishana10@wannabeeinstein@chemicaldarkblue@linkstart@rhane118@kayleetavares@Rinos@Zack@angelXOX@Sherah@EmptySoul@anabel@amyfox@rickyng • @Flum • @Bipasha@atuljobs88atulkumar@Allahuakbar@SPanky@IraqLobstar@JosieeGirl@ILikeCheese@riya@achoumpoucobom@blizard35000@Krasher137@IraqLobster2@JapaneseLobster@MexicanLobster@Kinzaaa@KimberleeP@SabrinaMaria@diamondalizea@Metaphorphosis@ChloelovesJesus@tina5555@mcclainru@MariMars2@AnnieAndres@AlenaShibu@IanMacharia@TiernanW@siddhikadesai

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 4/26
written by megsug < PM: >

Scares, art, and positivity, oh my!

@AntoniaClarke has started a club for those of you who take glee in a good scare. They post on the club wall fairly regularly with creepy images like this one:

Spoiler! :

Subscribe if you dare.

The Artistry Discussions Club is putting on a contest for a new avatar design. Contestants only need to subscribe to the club and resize the image they’re submitting to 100x100px. The rewards are pretty nice if I say so myself:

1st place: 500 points and their creation as the new avvie AND it will be incorporated in the banner.

Runner-Up: 250 points and their creation will be incorporated in the banner.

Get to it, you arty people out there.

@hermione315 wants to know how she could break her poem up to make it less intimidating. @Kyllorac explained what a stanza was meant to be:

A general rule of thumb is (unless you're following a form) stanzas loosely correspond to paragraphs. What this means is that each stanza should have a main focus which all the lines in it work towards establishing and strengthening.

Kyll then went on to give hermione advice for becoming more confident in stanza placement. Read the thread to educate yourself!

As part of the Think and Wonder, Wonder and Think Weekend , @LadySpark has posted a bunch of articles based off of Dr. Seuss quotes. @TriSARAHtops wrote an article based off of the quote “No one is you-er than you.” One of her lines is really nice and very true:

…Even your influences are unique to you. Everything you’ve been exposed to over your life will add up in a way that becomes inherently [i]you. [/i]

Definitely check this thread out if you need a boost!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:00 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

There were no advertisements this week.

Send us yours!

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson