z

Young Writers Society

Squills 03/29/15 - 04/05/15

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:41 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
ShadowVyper

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Available – PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
ShadowVyper

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master

General Reporters
AstralHunter
Omni
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

APRIL FOOL’S DAY POETRY MONTH
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

If you’ve scrolled through the People tab lately, you’ve probably noticed an unusually large number of YWSers liking topics with poetic names like “boxes best left closed ” and “coffeebeans and lemongrass .” Perhaps you’ve been wondering: What the heck is going on?

Well, friends, April starts this week, and National Poetry Writing Month--also known as NaPoWriMo--along with it! Poets around the globe will work to produce thirty poems in just thirty days. Here on YWS, many participants choose to display the fruits of this month-long challenge by creating a personal poetry thread in the NaPoWriMo forum . In preparation for this year’s challenge, I asked a few participants about their NaPoWriMo experiences.

This will be @rhiasofia’s second year doing NaPo. After fizzling out partway through the month last year, she’s determined to write thirty poems this April. She has this to say:

My favorite part is that, after you've made yourself write poems daily a few times, you start getting more pressed for ideas, and it's like you look around with new eyes, because you're looking for poetry everywhere.

Her advice for newcomers is to

always have a pen and something to write with, everywhere. And write down everything you see. Even if you don't write it in poetry form, keep images fresh enough to go back.

rhia’s thread can be found here .

@Kanome is trying out NaPoWriMo for the first time this year, to challenge herself and push her writing further. She says,

If I have a favorite part so far, I would have to say the anticipation and wondering about pieces from the other members. I am excited about being able to participate.

Her thread can be found here .

@Rosendorn is entering her third year of NaPoWriMo, after a five-year break between her first and second year. Her favorite part of NaPo is

reading all the poetry, actually. A lot of my friends do it, and I get to enjoy them and basically get influenced in a bunch of ways I normally don't. There's also how you have to produce poetry, and it's a great discipline in actually getting poetry out. And I enjoy the certain amount of... emotional release from writing a poem a day.

To newbies, she says,

Just enjoy it. Nobody's judging you, and you'll look back on 30 days of reading and writing poetry only to find your quality is FAR better than it was when you started. If you need support, grab a friend and talk about each other's poems to motivate each other.

Her thread can be found here .

If you know anything about @Aley, you’ll be unsurprised to learn that she is also a veteran of National Poetry Writing Month. Here’s what she has to say about the experience.

My favorite part about NaPo is getting all the crappy poems out of the way. It's like a freedom to write, just to write instead of write something that has to be spectacular. It helps me get out of the mental pressure I put on myself to be good at writing poetry and just enjoy it

(And those of you who follow along regularly know that’s exactly what I love about National Novel Writing Month.)

Her advice for first-year NaPo participants is to

write as many poems as you want whenever you want. Don't let it restrain you from writing five or six poems a day because "you might need that nugget tomorrow" to start that poem. Instead, write every poem you want every day, because tomorrow you will either use one of those poems to cover the day or rewrite it and make it better.

If you’re planning to participate in National Poetry Writing Month this year, head to the NaPoWriMo forum to open a thread. A complete list of the personal poetry threads that have thus far been opened can be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler! :
@AdrianMoon - little caves of stories
@Aley - out walking on a raining, sunny day, I came across snow
@Arkhaion - Where Sunbeams Come to Rest
@Audy - tout terriblement
@Autumns - poetry, and other painkillers
@Auxiira - coffeebeans and lemongrass
@beckiw - Leave All Seriousness at the Door
@BlueAfrica - A Teacher Lives in There
@Blues - word spill
@Chanta1234 - My Poem
@Demeter - hark, the zircon train approaches
@ERZA - Spider on the run
@Firestarter - his bones began to fill with words
@Flite - these memoirs aren’t for you
@Hannah - Didn't mean it
@HighTop - returning alive
@Iggy - find yourself
@Kanome - Kanome’s Way of Writingness
@Karzkin - K's Kyrielle
@LadySpark - ~my tornadoes~
@Lauren2010 - to the sticking place
@Lava - Pizza
@Lumi - You Are Alive
@Meandbooks - snapshots of the life i leave behind
@megsug - Running Adventures
@Meshugenah - once more unto the breach
@Morrigan - Juxtaposition of ceilings and skies
@Nargles - Unidentifiable Flying Obscenities
@Nightcrawler - stumbling on stepping stones
@niteowl - often wandering, still quite lost
@noninjaspresent - In Amore Et Bellum (0/30)
@PenguinAttack - Guilt
@Pocket - aching something out
@Pompadour - Dustmites in haphazard heaps*-
@pretzelsing - My heart is poured out
@rhiasofia - I Grind These Words into Hot Pavement with my Heel
@Rosendorn - they’ll have to find another heart to break
@Rydia - Rydia’s Reservoir (has run dry)
@Sachiko - boxes best left close
@ScarlettFire - a forest of teeth and claws
@SecreteJournalist - "And each written word was her prophet."
@Skydreamer - a bohemian’s guide to solivagant travels
@StellaThomas - We are still afraid of the dark.
@Teddybear22 - Have you met Ted?
@Tenyo - In which Ten tries to poet
@Tortwag - Fantasy Roys
@Twit - wrinkles and winkles
@Via - didn't have a camera this time
@Widdershins - Cantos from K___
@Wolfare1 - Just another day, poeting with Wolf
@yubbies21 - precious prescriptions and smashed mirrors

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME’S RANT OF MEDIA

Written by Kanome < PM: >

Hello! Welcome back to another week of Squills. This is Kanome with a new media review for this week. Today, I am going to be talking about a hilarious show that aired a few years ago. It made me laugh to the point I was crying. It is about a man and his family who owns a burger joint. The family endures mishaps from the people of their town while keeping their burger joint running. I am talking about Bob’s Burgers.

This amazingly stupid yet interesting comedy has piqued my interested since it first aired. When I watched the first episode, I couldn't stop laughing for a second.

I personally like the children in the show. They are amazingly awkward to be around, which makes it a whole lot funnier.

I recommend this show to at least 15+ of age, since this show was originally aired on Adult Swim.

Other thing that I can say about this show is that, even though this show is funny and stupid, it does show how a family sticks together until the very end. Pretty much, there are life lessons in this show, you just have to be really watching to find out what it is.

If you have any recommendations of what you want me to review, please PM me.

I’ll see you guys next week! Byee Byee!

Kanome

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING: CONTEST REMINDER

Hear ye, hear ye! As you may or may not have heard, the deadline for the Adventures in Writing Description Contest has been extended. But do not tarry, friends! The extended deadline is almost upon us. Entries must be PMed to me by March 31st, 2015.

Be sure to get your entries turned in for a chance to win one of three awesome prizes:

- First Place: 1000 points and a review of any literary work of their choice
- Second Place: 500 points and a review of any literary work of their choice
- Third Place: 250 points and a review of any literary work of their choice

For full contest details, visit the official contest thread .

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Ephemera has posted a topic in the Welcome Mat to say hello. Stop by to welcome them to YWS !

@Andrew Rayne has already earned his first review star. Head over to his wall to congratulate him .

@Odd has posted a short suspense story called “Cause of Death.” Drop by to read it and leave a review .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Ottozone@tylertillman96@hanzelcalangan@SonaliK8197@Buringot@TaniyaShaji@TanyaSharma@Noir@heyshelby@Zyox@OliverWilliams@AnimeNerd@MybloodIsRainbows@Abdelkebir95@Odd@Khushi113@DoAnonymous@sharoze@OliviaLEmerson@Rishita@Rishitaacharya • @AmatuerWritings@shaafi@LoveToWrite1994@sweeterfictions@WaywardBlackRose@DeadlyCupid54311@SandraNair@APB255546@CzystAlmaviva@ashokbpl10@Karolineblah@OKEKEBOI@AndrewRayne • @wrongdice@RebeccaC44@temela@OlgaB@HJP134227@sripoornap2705@Ephemera@BooksAndDaisyChains@cookiecrumble199@MYAver@SarahO9922@Teddy@autumnbreeze@Phecda@patience96@Maja@ZRForrester@MsJesi@Angelina198@TheDolphin@KimbleKr@mcgassner@luxcl@Caticia1@FreakShowINprocess@Sailing2k15@FourThorns@DominikTheHuman@gingerhamara@shielajackson12@Chitranshi@creativethinker@Adriennedavenport@Missy • @Hairball14 • @3eas@Siddys97@Julialatta1211@kennym24@ThilaKanishMei15@jinumm@freenzee78@wordsarelife

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 3/28
written by megsug < PM: >

Four links! Go read them! Now!

@AttackOfTheFlash is a newb poet, and wants to know about some of the ropes, so she asked a few questions:

If a poem doesn't rhyme, is it a free verse or narrative?

Do all poems have to be super deep, emotional, and descriptive? The one I'm trying to write kind of tells a story.

Can they have dialogue?

@Meshugenah and @Aley have offered their wisdom on these questions. This thread is good for anyone wanting to learn more about poetry. Go look!

@Iggy is interested in what houses our YWSers are in. @Snoink was helpful in introducing a quiz:

I took this quiz because I am perfectly content to let the hat sort me.

This is an important question: which house are you?

@LadySpark wants to know which is better: chunky or smooth. @Alavarin hasn’t ever had peanut butter, but she offered her five cents:

I've actually never tasted it :/ Sounds pretty good though. But yeah, chunks are always better, no matter what it's about.

I’ve got to disagree there, but everyone seems pretty undecided about favorites.

@Demeter has given those who are participating in the Translature Contest a great article to help you out. First she explains two different approaches to translation:

Word for word literally means what it sounds like - you replace each word in the original with the equivalent word in the target language, naturally taking heed of the grammar rules in each language... Sense for sense isn’t confined to the singular words so religiously, but instead aims to create the same effect, the same meaning, as the original work does in the source language.

She’s got ton of great advice you should check out!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:48 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Squills: Now Hiring

Squills is hiring new staff members! Open positions include Storybook, Resources, or Community reporter; Code Master; and general reporter. For full details, visit this thread .

Translature

Have you noticed the sudden rise in the number of non-English languages you see on the People feed? Do you happen to know one of these languages?

There is now a new magazine you can submit to - Translature - where you can submit your work in a non-English language along with a translation into English AND get a chance to record yourself reading your piece in that language!

What:
Any creative work!

When:
Last date for accepting entries : 26 April 2015

For details, click the image. Grab your chance to be featured on the first-ever issue of Translature!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:50 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Holofernes • @VeerenVKS • @megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer • @Draknghar • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @Widdershins • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @Ecirahs • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Zhia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli • @Wolfare1 • @malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @CaptainSaltWater • @Seraphinaxx • @pretzelsing • @WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet