z

Young Writers Society

Squills 8/17-8/24/14

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns. 

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff! 

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Hannah

General Editor
ShadowVyper

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
JamesHunt

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Available – PM SquillsBot if interested

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
ShadowVyper

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
defyingravity01

Media Critic
Kanome

Code Master
Avalon

General Reporters
OliveDreams
ArcticMonkey
AriaAdams
defyingravity01
JamesHunt

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:30 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WE'RE GOING ON AN ADVENTURE!
written by ShadowVyper  < PM: >

​Fall is nearing. Students all across the globe are buying new shoes and pulling out their crayons in preparation for the start of a new school year. Okay, so, maybe not everyone is pulling out their crayons. Regardless of if you're making the transition from middle school to high school, high school to college, or just trying to survive whatever grade you're in, everyone has their own fears and trials about the new school year that they have to face. 

This time last year I was just starting to realize that I'd be in college before the month was through, and wasn't sure whether to be more excited or frightened about it. College was new, mysterious, and downright terrifying. Being home-schooled my entire life, I especially feared the transition into dorm living and having deadlines that were actually rules rather than gentle suggestions about when I should have a project completed. Even with all the nerves attacking me, though, I was excited to take this next step in my life. With this in mind, I set out to see how this year's freshies feel about making the transition into college. 

Are you more excited or apprehensive about going to college?

Excited! Minus the major gap in my (and my parents') wallets, it seems like an adventure.  I can't wait to experience all of it. ^^

~@Iggy (Preschool/Kindergarten Ed. Major, Class of 2018) 

I think that for me it's a little bit of both. I'm excited to be starting this new chapter of my life but at the same time all the recent changes have been making me nervous.

~@KnightTeen (Journalism & Mass Communications, Class of 2018)

Excited! I'm actually really surprised I haven't been nervous at all. I just got really nervous the evening before I left. There was still the excitement though. It's kind of a mishmash of all emotions.

~@megsug (Environmental Science Major, Class of 2018)

Mostly excited! There's an outline for most available subjects we get to pick when the semester starts online, and each time I read it through I get tingles. But as the beginning of the year draws closer, I'm starting to feel a bit nervous. But nerves are good! I just have to make sure they don't overwhelm me~
~@Alpha (witchcraft, Sciences with Nanotechnology Major, Class of 2018)

I'm glad to hear that they're all generally excited! College is great, but only if you decide to put your mind to making the most of it. Whether you want to take advantage of the social or academic aspects of being college student (don't expect much sleep if you want both ;) ), you're sure to find something just right for you! Since they're all so excited, I wanted to know what exactly it is that has them all eager to go. 

What are you most looking forward to? Are there any student organizations, classes, or otherwise that you intend to make the most of during your time as a student?

I have this class called Humans and Honeybees that I'm so psyched for! Bees are so fascinating and play such a large impact in our everyday lives and... Ahem... I'm also excited about being able to discover myself without the past clinging, you know? I'm a new person in college. No one knows that I was an annoying know-it-all in middle school or that I have social anxieties or any of that. I can basically remake myself.

I'll tell you one thing that I am not looking forward to; math! Haha

Ummm....maybe my English classes? I met my teacher and she seems really cool. I'd also say that I'm looking forward to Biology but that might not get started on time do to the fact that the visa of my (Indian) teacher expired when she left the country for a mission trip (apparently she wasn't supposed to!) and she's been deported. We hope to have her back soon though. 

Mostly I'm just looking forward to making a lot of new friends and strengthening relationships with old ones. Nothing brings people together like shared sleepless nights and waaaayyyy to much caffeine. 

Other than the practical physics classes (in which we're given a real-life problem which we need to find a solution to whilst working in groups)  I'm really looking forward to being with other students who are also interested in similar things, and to being -in my opinion- a 'proper' college student. I'd love to join a club or two, subscribe to a gym maybe (or at least find a nice park to jog), and take a proper tour of the campus (since I arrived after the semester started and so missed induction week last year). In summation, I guess it's the social scene I'm looking forward to.

~@Alpha (Sciences with Nanotechnology Major, Class of 2018)

I'm looking forward to meeting new people! I, unfortunately, didn't sign up in time so I'm missing out on all the cool classes, but for the spring semester, I plan on jumping right into it. So drama and astronomy, here I come!

Aw, their geeky-ness makes me happy. I thought I was fairly alone in looking forward to science classes (my organismal biology and chemistry classes this semester are going to be awesome), but it looks like all the incoming freshmen have at least one science class that they're looking forward to (eventually) getting to take. Stay strong, Iggy, you'll know to sign up for the cool classes right away from here on out. c: 

But surely different majors and different class years have different perspectives about the best part of uni. Personally, my perspective has changed quite a bit in even the one short year that I got to attend college. Last year I was scared witless quite nervous about moving so far away from home, but at the same time the most exiting part was getting to be independent-- do and go where I wanted, be with whoever I chose, be in charge of my own schedule. This year, I'm most looking forward to seeing several professors that I miss insanely badly, and some of the really great friends that I made. 

So, I decided to hunt down some other current college students, and ask them what their favorite part of college have been so far. All that I interviewed seem to be the very tame, mature college students (I mean, we are YWS'ers after all, right?) but I decided to cover the bases right away.

What is/was your favorite (Squills appropriate ;) ) part of college?

People. Getting a chance to spend time with and make new friends and develop new relationships is always an amazing experience

~@Master_Yoda (Electrical and Computer Engineering Major, Class of 2015)

All my college activities are Squills appropriate. Let me think... [My favorite part is] probably the freedom to plan and create events.

~@Aley (English Major, Class of 2015)

Yeah, to be honest, my favorite part of College is how challenging it is to keep good grades, and the afterward feeling when you realize you've done it. xD Oh, and food; can't forget the food!
~@GeeLyria (Psychology, Class of 2017)

Perhaps the best thing is how it's different from school. The atmosphere, in essence. Everyone is there to actually help you. No one will force you to study, and as a consequence there generally are very few people who will ruin the experience. ^_^​
~@Lapis (Comp. Science & Software Eng., & Math., Class of 2017)

I love how broad of a range those answers covered! That's just a bit more proof about how different of an experience everyone can have in college, depending on what aspects they value highly. But, regardless of if you actually like the food at your campus (I really envy everyone who still enjoys the dining common after a year on the meal plan), or the freedom, or simply the atmosphere, there's bound to be some things that cause you dismay. So, I asked the freshmen what they were anticipating as one of their struggles. 

What do you fear the most about the prospect of going to college? Leaving home for (possibly) the first time, living in a dorm, surviving the increased course load, the dining common? Something else?

Thankfully, I've had a year's experience of being abroad alone, so I know how to handle the occasional pang of homesickness (ice cream is my best friend). The newness of being independent is still something I'm getting used to, and although my father taught me how to make the best out of what I have and what do in the bank and how spend my money, putting theory into practice still unnerves me.

I'll be going to the airport alone for the first time! I've always had at least one other student accompany me, and that time I was sort of the leader (because the girl had never been on a plane) so I really hope I won't get lost D:

I also fear not finding suitable digs because university accommodation is very problematic. Hunting for apartments or hosts (I'm open to both) will take some time, which is why I'm arriving a week before the semester starts.
~@ Alpha(Sciences with Nanotechnology Major, Class of 2018)

So, this is going to sound like I'm bragging, and maybe I am, but school was kinda easy for me. I studied, like, twice every semester *maybe* and that was fifteen minutes while I was eating my cereal before school. My biggest fear is that I'm walking into this with zero study experience and am going to be completely overwhelmed. What if I can't cope? ;n; What if I get a B? I'm also really close to my family and the idea of leaving them is completely nerve wracking, but I think it'll all work out.​

Balancing work with school is gonna be hard, especially since I don't have a car (yet). I don't think I'll be getting a car for a while, so trying to jump from my college to my work via the transit buses will be hard and very, very tiring. I'm accepting donations to my buy-Iggy-a-car fund. Wanna throw in a $10?

The change, like I said, is definitely one thing that I am afraid of. Being homeschooled, I haven't been in a setting like this since the second grade. It's a little terrifying. I think the workload that I will be adding to myself is making me fearful as well.  I've also recently been having a lot issues with my depression. I think what I am trying to say is that I am scared that I won't be able to handle it. A part of me feels that way anyhow, while the other part is screaming, "Bring it!" 

I listen to that side of me a lot more.

Those fears definitely resonate with me! From the practical issues of not having a car, to the emotional fears of leaving your family and struggling with depression, to just the social fears that come with being homeschooled before being thrust into the social situation of college, those butterflies that are sure to be dancing around in all their stomachs are definitely justified. I'm sure that those things won't be nearly the issue that all the freshmen think they will, though. It'll all work out in the end, as I'm sure all the current college students will tell you. But I won't let them get away with just assuring you that everything will be fine; I made them share what their struggles were, especially during their time as a freshman. 

What were the biggest struggles you faced, especially during your first semester/year?

Getting bored. A lot of the material was so elementary to me that I honestly should have just tested out of the classes.
~@Aley (English Major, Class of 2015)

So stop worrying about it,@megsug and @KnightTeen. ;)

Balancing my social life and academic life. Be careful to take full advantage of the social experience and make as many lasting friends as possible. You have to be academically successful too, but don't let that affect your personal relationships and friendships.

My biggest struggle was probably learning how to manage my time. I was homeschooled before Uni, so I never really had to struggle with deadlines before that. :)

It was probably the social awkwardness. I'm naturally somewhat sociophobic (I think that's the term...?), and found the presence of tens of thousands of people somewhat overwhelming... Well... sorry, just one ten thousand people XD [Either way], I got more used to it with time. ^_^
~@Lapis (Comp. Science & Software Eng., & Math., Class of 2017)

Never fear, though. Once you get the hang of college, a lot of those issues became far less challenging and easier to deal with on a day to day basis. Finally, because I'm not mean stop laughing, it's true and won't leave you on that note. Rather, I had all of the current college students share some of their upperclassmen insights. 

What advice would you give to the incoming freshmen?

I would tell freshmen to work as hard as they can while they adaptate to college life. Avoid procrastination, give yourself positive reinforcement, and do your best; that'll be enough.

Umm.... Well, aside from not getting drunk on exams (happens far too often), just make sure that you've made the right decision. The failure rates at least in my college are quite high, despite the low work load. Many people simply choose what they're not interested in, and thus fail... [But the right major] IS easy. People should just think before they choose XD People need to know how to study without being forced to ^_^
~@Lapis (Comp. Science & Software Eng., & Math., Class of 2017)

Learn to love what you are studying. If you want to really become great at something, it takes lots of effort and time. Find like-minded people and become great together.

Don't get too caught up in the drama of being free. You're not, they're just giving you enough rope to hang yourself. In most cases though, your teachers are there to have you pass. Basically that means listen to them, do what they say, and on the first test, you'll know if it's working or not. If you fail the first test, work harder, if you pass it with flying colors, take a bit more time to yourself until you find the right balance between work and play.
~@Aley (English, Class of 2015)

There you have it! Be diligent, love your major, be social, and just enjoy yourselves. College is great. You'll all do fantastic this year, freshmen and seniors alike. c:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Well, Squillsians, August is upon us and school is right around the corner—for some of us, anyway. Perhaps you, like @Blues and @Auxiira, don’t start up again until September. Others, like the slowly drowning @Pompadour and @BiscuitsBatchAvoy, have already gone back. And then there are those like yours truly, who returns to school next Monday, after an entire year off.

Ah, summer. How sad we are to see you go. But the YWSers I talked to had a good attitude about it, like Biscuits:

I look forward to summer, but by the end of summer I am counting down the days to school. It's like a not-quite-as-good Christmas.

Indeed it is, especially with the Christmas-in-July feeling of back-to-school shopping. Blank notebooks, fresh pens and pencils, clean lunch bags, fully functional calendars, folders that aren’t ripped in half from carrying too much homework... @KatyaElefant finds it just as enjoyable as I do:

My mother always gets me new stuff for classes, basically anything that I want for school. When I open those new packages, a smile is on my face.

Of course, it’s not quite as nice if you’re a university student who has to spend your own money on school supplies, but it lends an air of excitement to the whole ordeal. And while summertime is nice for lounging and catching up on your sleep, the drive of the school year can motivate you to get more done, as @ThereseCricket points out.

As the summer can be so busy, the school part of the year can allot me more time to study piano, and that's something that I'm absolutely looking forward to. Plus, I've found that it's easier to write when I have information constantly being given to me (mainly through my science and history books), and that's a big plus in my opinion!

Not surprisingly—coming from a site of writers—mathematics is a dreaded subject amongst many of our members, while English is a common favorite. However, YWSers’ school interests range from foreign language classes to science classes to music classes and beyond. But it’s more than favorite classes that our site members are looking forward to about the oncoming school year. Biscuits is most looking forward to

My dissertation in English. The dissertation/thesis is sort of like a year-long essay. You choose two or three books at the start of the year and choose a topic that links them together. I am excited about the freedom that comes from being at the helm of my own literary investigation.

@Deanie, on the other hand, is just looking forward to the end ceremony that will move her up from secondary school.

We get cool-looking certificates, an opportunity to win some prizes, and it's almost like a mini graduation in itself. Especially as a lot of my friends are leaving after this year.

Biscuits, Blues, and Cricket are also finishing up secondary school, although Cricket has the unique experience of being homeschooled. For those of our readers who don’t know much about homeschooling, she had this to say:

Homeschooling is usually looked upon as something that isn't good for the child in developing social skills and learning how everything works in life. Sometimes, it is also thought that the education level is lower than a normal public school as well. As I'm homeschooled, and I also help many of my younger siblings out with their schoolwork, I can definitely say that this is not the case.

My mom and dad went through several homeschooling curriculums and finally combined two or three of them to create a system that basically covered everything. Math, Science, History, learning a foreign language... My parents worked on this curriculum and made it work. Occasionally there would be a time when one of us would slack in our school, but my dad always took that as the time to show the child that
it’s better to keep up than to catch up, and that showed us to never fall behind again.

My parents taught my siblings and me how the world works, through little occurrences in society and in taking us to their work places and showing us how to work in that environment. Homeschooling also teaches the child to learn how to get the job done with very little help and shows that a person can truly teach themselves without another's help and the help of a modern-day school system.

Of course, the strength of an education in a public school system depends on the specific country, state, district, school, principal, and teachers, but it’s interesting to learn about unfamiliar methods and systems. There’s a huge variety on YWS, thanks to the internationality of our members. Not only that, but with members from the ages of not-quite-a-teenager to adults-married-with-children, we have students of all levels: middle school, secondary school, university, and even a few grad school students like @Lava hanging around.

Whatever level you’re at, it is a School Time of Year—or just about—but don’t despair! We’ll all head back to school together. And at the end of the day, there are plenty of YWS friends for you to talk to about the whole experience.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE POETRY EXCHANGE CLUB
written by ArcticMonkey  < PM: >

Giving and getting reviews is a necessity on YWS. There are always new things being introduced to this site to get people more involved in reviewing and create a community of reviewers. There have been many strategies so far, such as the Knights of the Green Room, Club Turtle, Adopt a Novel, Review Days, and Mini-Review Days. A recent addition to all of this focuses on poetry: the Poetry Exchange Club , created by our very own @Aley

So how does it work? Every week people submit poems into the ‘wizard’s hat’ and then they are exchanged. You get two weekends to actually review the work you’ve been assigned to, and in that time, the next week of poetry exchange participants is collected. If you don’t review, then the poem is taken over by others to review, and you’re unable to post until you actually do the review that was required of you. Essentially, it works on the honour system.

Squills: How did you come up with this idea?

Aley: I came up with the idea for poetry exchanges in general a while ago. I wanted to do something that would help circulate poetry and help people get more reviews on their poems that they really want to see reviewed. I have been experimenting with bumping up the time-frame from the original two week period to a one week period, but the exchange went so fast that a lot of people didn't really notice what was going on with it, and there was a lot of stress by the end. In response to that, I am attempting, now, to create a rolling exchange.

S: Why did you come up with this idea?

A: I came up with this idea to answer a problem with the original poetry exchanges, time. While people were willing to do the exchanges, a lot of them fell at a bad time for some people, so instead of working around the time-frames, I'm hoping to make it a continuous thing where you choose the time that works best for you. This is by you signing up on the week you have enough time to review 1-4 poems. So far the most we've had one person do is 2, but I'm hoping that once I get this out in the open, it will pick up.

S: Are there any issues you’ve faced?

A: The biggest problem is participation. For instance, this week has no one signed up in the exchange yet. There's also people who don't remember they signed up after a week, and they don't end up reviewing, which is a problem as well.

S: What are your future plans with it?

A: The club itself is only a test run. I'm hoping to make a forum in the Writing Activities thread once I know that it has the chance to work. Right now, the kink is in the timing, so I'll be fiddling with that in the club and trying to figure out what is a good length of time to give someone to review. After I figure out all the particulars, I'll be making a thread in the Activities forum to open this idea up to all YWS in a public way where I can actually tag people to tell them the poems they have to review. That will be after I get the right people helping me give this a solid test run.

Well, it's a fantastic idea in the making. If you like reviewing or writing poetry be sure to check it out, because once more people join the Poetry Exchange Club , it will be even more effective.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

YWS AND EXERCISE
written by Defyingravity01  < PM: >

TV. Cell phones. Fast Food. The couch. Books. Bed. These are all very random things. What do they all have in common? As writers, we might say "They're nouns." But for me personally, these are all hindrances from keeping your body healthy. They are all distractions from exercise and in this day and age, exercise is essential to your daily health. I sent 8 survey questions to 30 YWSers. 8 of them were willing to answer the questions. I found the results to be very interesting so... Let's see the statistics!

When asked how often they exercise for at least 30 minutes at a time, the YWSers were given the options of "Never, Sometimes, Often". The majority (4/8) said sometimes. Only 2 said often and 2 said never. What I found interesting was actually question number 6. Is time a dilemma?. In other words, do you find yourself not having enough time to get active? 3 YWSers said yes. So most of them agreed that they could, technically, find enough time to exercise. 

Should physical activity be more of a priority in schools? Only 2 said No. But the reason was the same. The people surveyed who said no were passionate about their answers. PE is forced in schools which makes it so much less enjoyable. Both people said it should be encouraged if it were in a friendly environment.

So how does this all relate? People who were involved in a sport seemed to enjoy physical activity a lot more and also found it easier to get motivated. Plus, the YWSers who were involved in a sport were more eager to see physical activity encourage more in schools. I also found that a few of the surveyed people preferred to exercise alone because they were self conscious about their abilities. Half of the participants said PE in schools was too forced. 

Here we see a correlation. This study shows that physical activity in schools had a direct impact on the people surveyed. There were 6 who thought PE should be more encouraged. Of these 6 people, there were more who found it harder to get motivated. The two who said it shouldn't be encouraged more had great motivation with a 1 and a 2. These were also the main people who said physical activity in schools should be less forceful. 

The conclusion I came to is this: the people who found PE in schools intense got motivated more easily. I think if schools approached physical education from a different angle but at the same intensity will encourage better motivation as the children progress. It also shows that if you start people exercising at an early age, the habits will carry to an early age. It's not rocket science. Just exerscience!

And what does this all have to do with writing? Well, if you want to live long enough to publish all the novels you have floating around in your head, you better stay healthy and exercise a bit, huh?

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Hello, and welcome to the second installment of our series on backstory. This week, we’ll talk about how to determine whether or not a particular piece of information belongs in your novel. It’s tempting to include all the backstory you’ve dreamed up, especially for a favorite character or event. But—allow me to use my Bill Nye the Science Guy voice here—CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING.

In real life, information about people and events can be fragmented and misleading. A close friend may sit down and tell you about something traumatizing that’s haunted him since childhood, if he trusts you enough and needs to get it off his chest. If you exude an air of quiet sympathy, strangers may act similarly, though they’re likely to exclude the lurid details. Either way, think about how this happens. For one thing, it takes a certain kind of person to open up in this manner—while I frequently invite confidences of this kind, for example, I rarely tell strangers or casual acquaintances anything about myself. Thus, if I were a character in a book, it would be realistic for an old woman sitting beside me on the train to tell me at length about her children but unrealistic for me to volunteer information about my travels.

Additionally, even a friend who decides to take you into his confidence this way will not tell you every detail about the event or his feelings during and since the event. Nor will he tell you that he’s leaving things off; he’ll simply pass over pieces of the information, perhaps giving it away through clipped speech, hesitation, or changing facial expressions.

Of course, our readers expect less disjointed information about our story than the kind of backstory they get in real life. Otherwise, they may not be able to understand the characters’ motivation and the development of the plot. However, including all of the backstory you’ve so painstakingly planned bogs down the novel and makes it awkward to read. The first step to finding that balance of enough backstory/not too much backstory, therefore, is to figure out whether a certain piece of information belongs in your manuscript in the first place. Here are three questions to ask yourself when trying to determine this.

What kind of backstory is it? The basic kinds of backstory are personal, relational, societal, and event. Personal backstory is the history of your individual characters: their family makeup, level of education and academic performance, socioeconomic status growing up and how it affected them, and so on. This information can help the reader understand why certain characters cause or react to the events of the story the way they do.

Relational backstory is the history of a relationship between two or more characters, be it a friendship, romance, familial relationship, or enmity. If the characters’ relationship is stormy, the reader will need more backstory to understand why this is so. For characters with a good relationship, bits of their shared history will probably come out in dialogue, but a reader is less likely to question their relationship unless one of the characters rubs him the wrong way.

Societal backstory is the history of a nation or group of people, such as the land of Ingary in Howl’s Moving Castle or the wizards in the Harry Potter series. This includes things like politics, wars, treaties, method of government, and attitudes toward other peoples or nations.

Event backstory is everything directly leading to an event, such as the character decisions, actions, or prior events that caused it. This kind of backstory intersects with the other categories, as societal history and character actions and interactions all play a part in causing the events of the plot. The backstory of the inciting incident—the event that sets the rest of the plot in motion, such as Primrose Everdeen being named as tribute in the first Hunger Games book—is often important to the reader’s understanding of the rest of the story.

Generally, personal backstory is the main category that you’ll want to include in your novel, as it clues readers in to your characters’ motivations. However, societal backstory can be equally important if your novel revolves around a society—for example, virtually any dystopian novel—and relational and event backstory can deepen readers’ understanding of character interactions and events that further shape them.

How does it influence the story? The personal backstory of the main character and the event backstory leading to the inciting incident are usually the most influential types of backstory to the plot. The MC’s history influences her decisions throughout the story, which in turn influences the events and other characters’ reactionary decisions that make up the entire plot.

However, certain aspects of the MC’s backstory will be more influential than others. For example, let’s say the main character’s mother died when the MC was young. If her mother died at the hands of the villain, thus inspiring a sense of revenge that drives the plot, then it’s highly influential to the story. But if the MC’s mother died of a plague, then this piece of information is significantly less influential. It’s still important; a childhood experience of familial death can shape a person’s personality and affect their decisions. Unlike the first example, however, this backstory doesn’t drive the entire plot—but it still heavily affects the character’s decisions while other pieces of backstory may not influence the plot at all.

Can the readers understand the story without it? Let’s look at the previous example of the villain killing the MC’s mother prior to the story’s beginning. If the plot leans on the MC’s desire for revenge, the reader needs to know why. Sure, the villain might be a complete bastard who kills and maims countless people—shouldn’t we be able to understand why she wants him dead?

Well, yes, but that’s a generic kind of anger. It’s true of any number of characters living in the MC’s world and thus fails to explain why the MC, in particular, must be the one to go after and defeat the villain. While the reader can accept that anyone would want to go after the villain, knowing the backstory of the MC’s mother will give us a real sense of purpose for this character’s actions throughout the story.

Now let’s go back to the version in which the MC’s mother died of a plague instead. When the mother’s death has nothing to do with the MC’s motivation for going after the villain, the reader can understand the main plot without knowing about it. Of course, because it still affects the character’s decisions, knowing this piece of backstory could deepen the reader’s understanding of the character, but it’s not strictly necessary.

Naturally, not all of the backstory you decide to include will be necessary to the plot or the reader’s comprehension of it. Sometimes, you’ll choose to include backstory about a character, people, or event because you like writing about them or because you feel like readers might enjoy having more information about them or because it fits what’s happening in the story at the time. But, because more influential backstory needs to have precedence over superfluous backstory in the writing of your novel, make sure that the bulk of the backstory you include is important to the development of the plot or characters and can aid the reader’s understanding in some way.

Now that you know which backstory to include in your novel, next week we’ll discuss some ways to get it across without entire chapters turning into long and boring infodumps. Join us then for the third and final installment of our series on backstory.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

HOW TO WRITE A DIARY ENTRY

Knowing how to write a diary entry is a key part of being a writer. Sometimes it's nice to see your own thoughts on paper as a therapeutic ritual. Surprisingly, diary entries included in writing can often provide a deeper insight to a character than what the narrator can provide otherwise.

Diary entries in modern writing are often used by the main character to give insight on their thoughts or the thoughts of another character. For example, in Lina LaCour's novel hold still, the main character, Caitlin, explores the diary of her best friend Ingrid who committed suicide.  Other great examples of books that include or are composed of diary entries are Letters From Rifka, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Princess Diaries and Dracula.

The first unofficial step to writing a diary entry is pretty simple. First, write the date. Sometimes if the character has written more than one entry on this day it can be helpful to include the time. Next include the cliche "Dear Diary" or "Dear Journal" intro. After you get this technicality out of the way, it's time to get down and dirty.

Step 1: Starting a diary entry can be difficult. Many times it's helpful to write what you or your character is feeling. You could also start by stating what you or your character did that day. Some awesome ways to start are by saying "I'm so (insert feeling, confused, angry, etc.)", " I don't know what to do", "I have good news and bad news", or even "I woke up feeling (angry, happy, excited etc.) but now I feel (happy, sad, confused)". Diaries are very emotional. So your character should tell the audience how they're feeling.

Step 2: Elaborate. Now is the time to start going into an event or idea that caused you to state the previous introduction. Describe it in detail. If this is for a book or short story then it should be first person, past tense. For a book that is comprised completely of diary entries, this part should be written the way you would describe a series of events in a regular novel or short. The key to this part of the entry is making your reader forget that he or she is reading a diary entry so they can focus completely on what's going on.

Step 3: Why do you care? How does this affect you? If the circumstance or event you described was positive for your MC, describe how it would benefit them and vise versa. If the person is apprehensive about the events then in the diary entry they should spell out what they're afraid might happen. For example: if a woman is writing about her husband going off to war she would be worried about him dying or being seriously injured so she might say something like: "Now that Mike has been drafted, I'm so afraid. He could die or be crippled for the rest of his life. I can't stand to lose him." 

Step 4: Wrap it up. What is the character going to do. Is there anything they can do? Maybe they will take matters into their own hands or maybe they will ask someone for advice. The possibilities are endless

Step 5: Write 'Sincerely' or 'Love' and then the author's (or character's) name. If your character is particularly quirky or forgetful, a postscript (PS) might be in order.

Tips: A lot of times you get stuck. We all get writers block and you may experience this when you're writing a book comprised of diary entries or an actually diary for yourself. A great way to overcome this is to look up journal prompts. Like regular writing prompts they can often give you the little push you need to either spice up your story or figure out what you're really feeling. 

One other thing I find really useful is to Approach the entry by writing about somebody else. Many times when people write a journal or diary entry, they feel concern or confusion about someone else's actions. Sometimes people (real people and characters alike) just don't feel like rehashing an experience or don't feel the need to reflect that particular day. So you could write about another person's problems or even things somebody else does that inspires you.

One last thing! I love exploring works of topics I've covered. I also want to know what you learn from these. So I encourage you guys to send me submissions over PM of works that relate to topics I cover. In other words, I want to see what kinds of diary entries you guys can write. If you send one in, I might even feature you in an article. I also encourage you to send a message just telling me what you think or with any questions/topic suggestions you may have. Happy Writing!

XOXO,
Gravity

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:33 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FESTOONED: NEW STARS
written by Hannah < PM: >

This week’s Festooned sees the return of a familiar face. If you’re a long time reader of Squills, you might remember the amazingly fun and useful Quibbles column, in which @skorlir presented proper grammar alongside his quirky writing voice. He’s been off studying and working on internships, but has also made time recently to return to YWS and start dishing out reviews once again. If it’s your first time hearing of this wonderful creature, here’s the rundown. He gives harsh, thorough reviews and also combs through the code on YWS. He even once created an interim spoiler code! And the basics:

Name: @skorlir
Recently Acquired Star: Third yellow star

When I asked him to address the YWS community, this is what he had to say.

Hannah has graciously invited me to return to Squills! 

I don't have any Quibbles to share this time. (If you remember Quibbles, and you liked it, high-five! You're awesome!)

No, but I have earned my third... er, yellow star! 75 Reviews! Woot!

Well, for those of you who have known me since I joined YWS, something like a year-and-a-half ago, I've had a lot of active periods - for the whole of last summer, for instance, I was on every day.

So it's a little embarrassing, really, that I've only now earned my 3rd star. I mean, some people write 75+ reviews on a single review day!

But not me. I am a lengthy, self-conscious reviewer. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

I only review things that I really think I can improve, and furthermore that I enjoyed reading. So that limits the pool a bit. I often read several works, but only review one.

And sometimes that one review takes over an hour to write. 
But it's totally worth it: 

This was like, the best review I've ever recieved.

@Fortis, on Wool of the Prince -- Ch. 20

This is honestly the best thing I have ever read.

— @Thewriter13, on this

The best feeling I get from YWS comes from authors who like my reviews. So I try really hard for that. 

(Also, if Fortis and Thewriter13 are reading this, sorry for not warning you for like publishing your comments! They're public anyway, but still.)

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:33 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES
written by ShadowVyper  < PM: >

Hey everyone! As you all know, our beloved @Iggy has recently retired from the Squills team; so this column has passed into my hands. Hopefully I'll do the position justice, and bring you all the juiciest, best stories from around YWS each week. 

So, without further ado, let's start with the scoop on the lovely lady who started this column all those months ago. The one, the only, original Lady S, @StellaThomas made a bright come back, showing off her fancy new dark green name. Wasting no time, she proclaimed that she's decided on editors for her new project, Spotlight. @Lapis is also keeping us all updated about his new, awesome project-- a website called The Young Science Society , which you should totally go join. Now. FOR SCIENCE!

@therealme wrote a catchy little poem complaining about school on her wall-- surely not about her science classes, though. Science is love (refer to the links above). Regardless of the subjects, however, @Messenger popped in to tell us that his school is going fine, even though he’s going to hurt his ankle in three days during a soccer game. Some psychics... @Omniclysm is also having a good school year so far, and seems to have a very cool English teacher that I'm actually not going to snark about. :shock: 

@Cole has been to see Guardians of the Galaxy, and fell in love with a Groot. Meanwhile, @RavenMoonStone has evidentally fallen in love with The Doctor, judging from the amount of fangirling going on over at her wall. All the while, @Auxiira is silently sitting back reading blogs hating on fake fangirls, because she wants a tee shirt; and @fortis is currently (at least was, a few days ago-- so you should go bother her anyway) looking for new things to read and review. Just drop a link on her status and wait for the wonderful phage-y chick to analyze your piece. 

@AlexSushiDog is feeling the pain of wanting to write things (for fortis to review, maybe?) but sadly has no drive to get-r-done. If you see him around, be sure to give him an encouraging word or chase him with a pitchfork. Whatever works. @megsug has the drive to write, but no clear plot in mind as she progresses with a story about gender-confused twins. Showing a bit more productivity, @Parcosm was very excited to break the writing hiatus he'd been on by writing words, presumably instead of writing pictures. @Blackwood, @Noelle, @fortis, @Deanie and @Rosey%20Unicorn also deserve a pat on the back, for supplying us with new or updated enstallments of their stories (also by writing words, one can infer.)

Speaking of words, @BlueAfrica has no kind ones to say about a machine at her work, and @Carina is ranting against life, while @Shadowlight seems to be giving in to the struggles she faces. Stay strong you all! The weekend is here at last! Speaking of the weekend, one has to wonder where @ReisePiecey vanished to so mysteriously. Hopefully she'll update us when she gets back!

Some people had cause to celebrate before the weekend, though, as @Noelle hit the 1,000 review mark, and @TimmyJake compled his 500th review. Be sure to congratulate them, then head over to @Stori's wall to wish him a happy YWS'versary.  

In a less happy turn events, @SparktoFlame left Wild and Wonderful West Virginia to go live in her new home; and @whitewolfpuppy is still on her hiatus from YWS to take her SAT, and apply to colleges. Best of luck and come back soon, to both of you!

Speaking of leaving, if you haven't seen @Kanome on much lately, it's probably because she's been working double shifts. </3 Poor girl. Ten hour shifts kick me in the teeth; I can't imagine what it would be like to work double shifts! But, even with those horror stories flitting around, @AlexSushiDog isn't scared of looking for work. @Craz, on the other hand, is lamenting the fact that she's got so much work to do she can't even read in peace.

All the while @ArcticMonkey is behaving very much like a philosopher and over-thinking the story she's reading; and @Judas is starting an argument on his wall by a troll he jokingly labeled feminism, which is being taken far too seriously by everyone except @Lumi, who is desperately trying to lighten the mood. Perhaps Lumi should head over to an alternate wall and convince @Blues to stop fantasizing about eating people, even if he does have Sweg. Someone should really also try to talk @Alpha out of stalking Morgan Freeman, too. On second thought, nevermind. The post caused @cabonCore and @BlueAfrica to chip in with some amusing fangirling. Carry on. 

In an entirely unrelated turn of events, @Judas is getting himself arrested for viewing things online... and I seem to have started an all out battle by bringing the #ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to YWS. Be sure to help me out in convincing my victims nominees to stop being such babies (yes, I'm looking at you @fortis, @Judas, @Auxiira, @Lapis, and, less babyish but still arguing @TimmyJake)

That's it for this week! Be sure to keep me updated with your wall posts, and you just might make it into next week's Society Pages!

x ~ x ~ x

Lady S

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:34 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

EVOLUTION OF WRITING: THE TOOLS

Writing has been the medium of communication and information for years. It has been used to express and to tell stories as well as inform. It hasn’t always been around, however. Humans dates back to prehistory which is the period of time before writing. So how did writing come about and how has it evolved to what it is today? I’m doing a sequence of 3 articles to cover 3 parts of writing history. Writing tools, written works and authors. 

Writing was first done with bone fragments in soft clay. The soft clay was kept in tablets or even just in blocks and was often used with a stylus like bone This writing was around in 4000 BC and depicted images like plants and animals. Other than images, early writing was used to keep track of money and trades. The earliest form of writing that we know today was called cuneiform and was invented by the ancient Sumerians

Since this is boring me a little, I’m going to skip to the Dark Ages. Throughout the few thousand years to the Dark Ages writing didn’t really evolve. The Egyptians used scrolls for a while but eventually when the Roman Empire became the place to be, clay tablets became more in style. This was when metalwork was a little more common so the new styluses could be metal or bone.

As we get to 600 AD, we discover the quill. Yes, you’ve seen them in Harry Potter, you’ve seen them on boring documentaries. QUILLS! Sounds like Squills. Anyway, quills are pretty cool. They were made from geese feathers and usually only lasted for about a week. US President Thomas Jefferson went through so many quills he had a whole flock of geese bred to suit is writing needs. According to History, he wrote almost 20,000 letters in his lifetime Quills are also the longest used writing instrument known to man. They were the main writing implement used from 600-1800 AD.

When graphite pencils were first invented in France and then independently, Australia, quills faded out. Eventually in 1884 and insurance broker invented the first fountain pen. Then in 1945, the ballpoint pen was invented. This was during WWII when soldiers needed pens to survive the rough conditions of the battlefield when writing messages.

The lesson we learned here? Pens are great. And they haven’t always been around. This is just the beginning of my “Evolution of Writing” Series. The series will be of three articles. Next week’s article is on the evolution of genres. So… until next week,

XOXO,
Gravity

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS

THE NEW ARRIVALS WRITERS ARE ON STRIKE.

YWSERS ARE SLACKING AND APATHETIC.

THE NEW ARRIVALS WRITERS DEMAND YWSERS FIND OUT INFORMATION ABOUT NEW MEMBERS THEMSELVES THIS WEEK.

What do we want? WELCOMES! When do we went them? NOW!

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@kbmcgregor3 • @Lumos@Tenebyss225@thealmightypencil@simiulate@Allhaleleah@Burnox@jorijolly@Inked2014@JAlGivens@DQuincey@rawriting@Shilpa787@Chipmunk@PerfumeAra@beans@TrentonSullivan@LeighB@ladydinosaur9223@NiteNiteWolfie@LifesaverKatia@andun@BlueLightning1@tjmorton@ChiSnore@SnorePhat@Olly@MC85@90skids@hmj93@Sombry@LiveLoveWrite@Allthingsflawless • @Almaliamackenzie • @eve5071@Mortilum@Coletrain99@Steph28@Farhan@Harmonicsoul@JurigetPotkovano@LiaLia@emmarankin@moonlitserenity@EveningSharks@AZID@Madness@Daenerys@AuroraBlaze@MinaPrice@a186@Paulwjlee@Esion@Dude@brybrym@bluecoral@estherh744

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 8/17

Back-to-school links, late or early. Get a free imaginary notebook when you try all three!

Maybe you’ve been a fan of Robin Williams since you were a child, watching your way through Mrs. Doubtfire, Flubber, Jumanji, The Last Rainforest. Or maybe this was the first time you’d heard of the actor. Either way, Iggy wants you to get familiar with the movie Dead Poets Society.

The basic idea is just a get together to share poems by dead poets. Quite an attractive thought to the bursting poetry community on YWS that generally shares only their own poetry. If you’d like to listen to the voices of YWSers read out the poems they love, and perhaps recite your own, click the link for more information about the August 23rd event.

Here’s how he puts it:

I have tried writing according to their perspective, and each time I get the comment of "This sounds very masculine" which is only normal because I am that way, but I want to make the character sound like a girl, and its difficult for me.

What’s the first bit of advice that comes to your mind girls? Pop on over to the link to educate the amazing timmyjake, and join the company of @Rosey%20Unicorn, @StellaThomas, @Zolen, @Prokaryote, and @Nica in figuring out just what’s making timmy’s audience uneasy.

There’s always been an art section on YWS, but there hasn’t always been quite a straightforward place to ask for and receive book covers, banners, character sketches, book trailers, and more. But that’s no longer a problem, since the introduction of the Art Services club. Looking for a little visual interest? Click that link up there and see what the team of awesome artists can do for you!

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Tuesday Giveaways!

Every Tuesday for the next couple of weeks I am going to be hosting a giveaway on my blog! Subscribe by email over there to get notified for future giveaways as well on the life side toolbar here !

This weeks giveaway is of the book Legacy: Glow by Phillip Mcsween :D

Chat Event: Dead Poets Society!

Come have a poetry bash with us! Full details here !

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers! 

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Judas • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @Skydreamer • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strangelove • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @ravenmoonstone • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend  • @dragonlily@Cheetah • @pandabear7 • @Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @ddman18 • @vluvswriting • @shoaib • @GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omniclysm • @magpie • @AfterTheStorm • @jameshunt • @autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @reisepiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Zhia • @Noelle

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue! 

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11