z

Young Writers Society

Squills Special: The First YWS Hunger Games [2]

Reviews: 0
Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Greetings, everyone!

As we know, this June brings us not only holidays, but the fantastic and terrifying site-wide event - the first ever YWS Hunger Games!

For those of you who might still not know, it's a week-long event meant to challenge the participants' writing skills, at the same time encouraging team spirit and bringing lots of fun, and this special edittion, brought to you by members of the Squills team, will bring the news to you every day.

On Challenge Two, see:
1. Here we are once again
2. News from the Districts
3. Updates!
4. Tracking Progress

On Challenge Three, see:
1. Here we are once again 2.0
3. Chatting with the Tributes and Tracking Progress
4. Tracking Progress

On Challenge Four, see:
1. Fourth Time Around

On the Final Challenge, see:
1. The Last Battle

If you wish to subscribe or see something included, or are volunteering to be interviewed, prod @AriaAdams~

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:56 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

HERE WE ARE ONCE AGAIN
written by AriaAdams < PM: >

Hours have passed. The exhausted Tributes once again reached the finish line, and once again, @SparkToFlame announces the scores , also bringing us the details of the official Challenge Two.

In this challenge, the participators shall be the Tributes whose scores so far are the lower out of two in their team (Team One of every District). Good luck to:

@Piper for District One
@Wolfare1 for District Two
@Strange for District Three
and @Blackwood for District Four!

However, this time that shiny cannon is put to use for the first time, shooting to officially mark the fall of @Buggiedude2340 and @verymaryanna, both members of District Three.
Although I am indeed very sorry to see the two of them go, don't lose hope! The other two Tributes shall, I'm sure, continue your ascend to glory, and Bugs and maryanna can most definitely participate in the District events till the very end of the Games =)

Aaaand case you were wondering what the challenge is, here's what the announcement from the Capitol says!

Write a short story or poem without using the letter e.

At first look, you might say it's not at all difficult - but I can say that it's a fairly hard thing to do with just 24 hours at disposal for thinking, and a bottom limit of 500 words (for a story)!
So go on now, consult your dictionary (optional) and try not to go crazy in the process ;) I'm looking forward to what you guys think of and, most of all, I wish you all good luck!

(ha no 'e's. ^ )

The scores of the Second challenge shall be announced on June 5th, 11AM EST For those of you who can't get ahold of timezones, the following is (hopefully) showing YOUR timezone, wherever in the world you are:

• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

NEWS FROM THE DISTRICTS

Review Day and Poetree Games were lots of fun - which means, ladies, gentlemen, other and unspecified, that things are about to get real.

Along with the Challenge Two, crafted to test the Tributes' wits and creativity, comes something amazing - a chance to use the first Parachute. What that means, you wonder?
Parachutes - traditionally food, medicine or other kind of useful supplies - are a way of helping the Tributes in completion of their tasks, and it's the Districts' responsibility to get them!

The Parachute for Challenge Two is no less than ten e's to be used at the tribute's discretion in challenge two. To buy them from the Capitol for its Tribute, a District had to complete 20 reviews in two hours.

We're at the end of those two hours as we speak, and here's how it stands in the Districts:

District One has completed 8 reviews, by @CesareBorgia, @defyingravity01 and @MyStory94 .
District Two has completed 1 review, curtesy of @Toboldlygo .
District Three has completed 3 reviews, written by @fortis and @Holysocks .
District Four has completed 1 review, and it was done by @lostthought .

As it seems, none of the Districts has met the goal of 20. Does it mean their Tributes will have to forget the free 'e's? We're eagerly awaiting the news from the Capitol.

Meanwhile, the walls of the Districts's clubs are more than interesting to observe, and I'm pleased to inform you it seems that my studio is finally becoming famous!

Don't believe me?
Ask the dishes!
Just take a look!

I'm scared to say anything now, 'cause it may end up in Squills. o_O
This feels more ominous than just @Big Brother watching.

*realizes that this very post may end up there*

Indeed it may, @ongoeslife , indeed it may ;)

That said, nothing to be afraid of! After all, you never know - perhaps, if you say enough things to get tagged more than @SparkToFlame, or at least in more than two posts in one edition, you might actually be running for a prize too~
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

UPDATES!

Yup, already!

The Districts might be glad to hear that the Odds truly seem to be in their favour, as the Capitol extends the deadline to meeting the goal of 20 reviews! This fantastic news allows the Districts to win the Parachute till 3:30 PM EST, so force yourselves to tore your eyes from my ~*fabulous studio*~ and head out to reviewing!

The Tributes , even the fallen ones, can rest peacefully (except while writing the challenge, in that case what are you even doing reading this?), knowing @JamesHunt is here. He has so far accused @SparkToFlame of being cruel, admitting he's glad he doesn't have to participate in this challenge, and wished his luck to the Tributes who must - but he has also thought of Bugs and Maryanna and all the Tributes whose fall are yet to be announced by the Cannon, and has dedicated himself to writing epitaphs to all of them.

As for those tributes who have fallen, I present to their districts these epitaphs in their memory.

Here lies verymaryanna
She died in a very merry sleep before she could even participate in the Games.

Here lies Buggiedude2340
She was scared to death of the Hunger Games and was shocked by her final score.

I shall write one for all of the fallen tributes, and anyway, they are just something to lighten the atmospere a bit.

I totally agree! Really, how nice is that? So far, I say he's doing great job, and regardless of connotations of my following statement, I really hope to see more of these soon.
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:01 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Tracking Progress

With less and less remaining till the end of the Challenge Two, I hereby bring you another update!

This challenge, although the Games have only just begun, seems to be a very difficult one. @Strange shares concerns with his District:

Today is the No E's challenge. It amuses me that the hardest challenge from the YWS Olympics happens to be mine.
Luck, right?

In the announcements thread, meanwhile, @Blackwood is very clear with their opinion:

Oh god not this one.

And @Wolfare1 isn't any less subtle:

Well, I'm probably going to die here xD

Unfortunately, it seems as though our Tributes are on their own on this one, as none of the Districts managed to complete the 20 reviews needed for a Parachute. District One, however, has managed to complete impressive 13, and for their efforts, the Capitol has awarded their Tribute, @Piper, five 'e's to use in the No-E Challenge! Congratulations, and use them wisely~

The Districts, however, have found other ways to help; in District Four, @lostthought created a whole thread dedicated to composing a list of words containing no E's, which is pretty cool! Others have joined in, and here's what @ShadowVyper says:

Karma, hurt, dark, dank, dirt, foe, urn, turn, dart, sword, gun, tomato, yap, goo, bark, grass, brown, black, sky, shirt, pants, socks, tint, burn, far, fair.

As they notice that "foe" in fact does have an e (it's incredibly easy to make a mistake! Try putting together a list of such words quickly, and then go back to it and see how many you actually got wrong. You might be surprised!), Lost is a quick thinker:

Foe has an e. Let's try villain!

I adore the team spirit, guys =)

So far, I see no entries submitted, which only seems to add to the point of this being the most difficult challenge yet. Dearest Tributes, don't despair and don't give up! You can do it, I'm sure of it :3
I keep having this "I have no favourites" attitude, but that is not true - you are all my favourites, so carry on!

Think of second person, think of present, think of the YWS Winter Writing Olympics! Some of you have even competed - others might get advice or two from your fellow District members who remember ;)

phpBB [media]
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:46 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

HERE WE ARE ONCE AGAIN 2.0

That's right! It's been over 24 hours since @SparkToFlame has posted the thread for Challenge Two, and I am proud to say all four Tributes have succeeded in writing and submitting their stories in time!
However, not everyone could've passed on, and while @Blackwood and @Piper can relax and celebrate, the Cannon shoots for @Strange and @Wolfare1. I am sorry to see you gone, but don't be sad - you can still most definitely support your fellow Tributes, and lead your Districts to victory!

Now with the end of Challenge Two, @Aquestioning, taking Spark's place as the Capitol's announcer, posts the new thread , featuring the names of the Tributes chosen to fight Challenge Three:

For District One, @TimmyJake!
For District Two, @dragonfphoenix!
For District Three, @ongoeslife!
For District Four, @retrodisco666!

With all the other three Tributes out of the competition, ongoeslife is now the only remaining Tribute in District Three! Will she survive to see the light of the challenges to come, or is this the last time we see the bolded name of a Tribute from District Three?
Time will tell.

In case you were wondering what the challenge is, and I know you were, here's what the Capitol says:

Write a poem based off a major historical event without using the word history.

Sounds fun to me, except I can't think of what I'd go with - that's, of course, if I was anywhere near capable of writing poetry. As a side note, my signature is literally the YWS's description of what a signature is, and I stand behind the claim it's the best poem I can write :mrgreen:

What I really like about this event is how supportive everyone seems to be! Have a look at what @BiscuitsBatchAvoy has to say to her fellow Tribute:

I am so relieved @retrodisco666 is doing a poetry one. Retro, you are definitely one of the strongest poets on YWS. You'll be great :)

And how @Wolfare1 deals with the fact the Cannon has called her name:

I knew it would happen eventually. I tried my hardest, but the competition was tough. Oh well, Go @dragonfphoenix!

Really lovely to see, if you ask me :3
I am really looking forward to reading these entries~

Good luck, Tributes!

A/N - so sorry for being this late with this update! Blame outdated Safari which managed to crash *twice*, and strange flu keeping me from here for most of the day!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:25 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

NEWS FROM THE DISTRICTS

Today, while the Tributes are busy with their third challenge, there was a lot of things happening in the Districts!

Firstly, we have Word Wars, which only started a couple of minutes ago! Regardless if you're a Tribute, a Districtian (that IS a word now!) or just reading this topic for your daily dose of ~*fabulous*~, head to the main chat and join us!

The other thing, happening all day, is the Hunger Games Scavenger Hunt ! It's brought to you by @Aquestioning and @Iggy , and a brilliant way to get to know YWS better! Don't forget to not bump any old topics or post answers in the thread, though ;)

Last but not least, the District have had the opportunity to win the following Parachute for this challenge:

The ability to write any poem they wish, regardless of the challenge-- as long as they use the word history three times in different ways.

However, as I was informed, none of the Districts managed to complete the goal of 15 reviews in an hour, unfortunatelly. Hopefully, their Tributes will be able to complete the challenge nonetheless!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:26 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

CHATTING WITH THE TRIBUTES and TRACKING PROGRESS

With zero hours of sleep and Challenge Three in full swing, I've lurked in chat and caught sightings of a couple of Tributes, whom I asked a simple question.

SquillsSpecial: Which historical person or event have you chosen to write about?

@retrodisco666: Currently working on a piece about 9/11 and posted it here, and got a review which made me think about scrapping it completely and choosing something different haha

@ongoeslife: The Boer Wars. I'd like to include a bit of Afrikaans in it, but the only source I have is Google Translate, and I'm never sure how accurate that is."

A bit later, Ongoeslife also stated:

Whenever I get inspired by something (the song, in this case), I find it SO hard to deviate from that.

Quite understandable and something I can relate to in a way. @Strange had a slightly different reaction:

It's better than writing with no E's, tell you that

Congratulations, Capitol. I say you officially gave our Tributes nightmares, and a potential running joke if someone decides to get creative!

As, soon after the short little interview in chat, @retrodisco666 posts his work in the official thread , it seems he indeed decide to choose something completely different! Here's what he says about the work:

Here is my entry, one of the hardest pieces I had to write. [It] is based on the persucuation of gay men in concentration camps during World War Two.

Sounds pretty great to me, and certainly got me curious. If you're curious too, give it a read !

Retro, however, wasn't the first to submit the poem. The very first was @dragonfphoenix, the today's champion of District Two, who posted not one, but two poems in the official thread, saying the following:

I have something I like, but I haven't decided which of the two I'm going with yet.
Entries pending: Hannibal: A Hero and Thunder and Ice

He has also asked his fellow Districtians for some assistance and reviews, which he hopefully got! If you're reading this post, why not go and drop a review on some of these works? Apart from them being entries, they're works of art - and their writers, regardless of them being Tributes and challenged into writing these, would surely appreciate constructive feedback!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

TRACKING PROGRESS

With all the four entries submitted for Challenge Three, and all four Tributes succeeding in completing it, @JamesHunt payed his respect to the fallen Tributes of Challenge Two, and edited the ones already written for Chapter One:

It is with a heavy heart that I present to you the epitaphs of the recently deceased.

Here lies verymaryanna
She died in a very merry sleep.

Here lies Buggiedude2340
She was scared to death of the Hunger Games.

Here lies Wolfare1
To end her prolonged suffering, she was put down.

Here lies Strange
Black Magic always comes at a price.

He also added:

@Blackwood , don't take this the wrong way, but it's a pity you didn't die; your epitaph would have been so much fun to write. So I wrote it anyway:

Here lies Blackwood
A violinist pushed him and his viola off a cliff.

Blackwood's reply wasn't an unexpected one:

You sort of scared me for a minute, I thought I had been killed off for some unknown reason.

It's worth mentioning that James's epitaphs are all based on the Tributes' entries. I wonder what he comes up with next~

Aside from posting the new thread for Challenge Four - more about which coming up a bit later - @SparkToFlame, in the name of the Capitol, called the Districtians to participate in a new event: The Hunger Games Fanfiction Event !
In it, you could submit up to two pieces, and the entries could be works already published on YWS. @retrodisco666 and @Savvy already posted their entries, and @thegirlwhowrites seems to be planning to. What are you waiting for?

The deadline to submit is June 8th - which is already here for me and people of my timezone, but the end wasn't yet announced *wink* - and in Spark's own words, the winner has the chance of winning a secret fabulous prize!
How ~*fabulous*~ is that? 8D

Today just for you, I have also managed to catch @Nate in chat to ask him on quick opinion on the YWS Hunger Games in general, and here's what he says:

It seems like it's going really well -- people seem to be excited for it, and it's going along swimmingly.

I would totally agree, wouldn't you? It's amazing to see how much everyone is putting into making sure it runs smoothly. Whether you're a Tribute, a Capitol member, a person who was there behind the scenes of organising the Games in the first place, a Districtian, a reviewer or a supporter who's simply just interested in following and maybe cheering for their favourite Tribute, take a moment to pat yourself on the back and smile, 'cause this whole big thing is happening the way it's supposed to thanks to all of you.
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:38 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

FOURTH TIME AROUND

Once more in her role of the official Capitol's announcer, @SparkToFlame announces the results of Challenge Three , along with the details of Challenge Four!
As always, I first bring you the (un)lucky Tributes chosen to fight the Fourth Challenge of the First YWS hunger Games:

For District One, @defyingravity01!
For District Two, @Storybraniac!
For District Four, @ShadowVyper!

The Tribute of District Three seems to have not been announced, perhaps due to the fact that @ongoeslife, who battled in Challenge Three, remained their only Tribute standing. However, the fallen Tributes of the Team One of other Districts seem to have been resurrected - is it possible? Is it a miracle, or is it a mistake?
We shall see.

As for the Challenge itself, hereby I bring you the words from the Capitol:

Write a short story with the genre of satire.

So far, possibly the most amusing challenge, and I must admit I'm REALLY curious what the Tributes will come up with!

@Blackwood and @BiscuitsBatchAvoy both wish luck to their shadowy fellow Tribute of District Four, and @JamesHunt once again pays respect to the fallen:

Here lies timmyjake
On the Road to Triumph, he was ambushed by bandits.

Here lies dragonfphoenix
He had won many battles, but not the one against time.

So far, none of the Tributes has completed Challenge Four, but I have no doubt they will in time. Good luck, Tributes, and may the odds be ever in your favour!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

NEWS FROM THE DISTRICTS

With the main focus on the Tributes, the Districts have recently turned somewhat silent. However, fear not - as always, here is the Capitol, in the form of @Aquestioning, announcing another, final challenge for the Districtians:

Write a six word story.

Sounds simple? Maybe, maybe not ;)

A bunch of Districtians have already posted theirs, and here I bring you one from each of the Districts:

In District One, there's been two entries so far - @mystory94 and @HighTop - and since mystory posted first, here is hers:

She lived and then she died.

In District Two, there's so far been only one entry, courtesy of @Savvy:

Baby shoes on sale, no buyers.

District Three stays oddly silent, with no entries submitted yet - is it just my mind working this way, or is it possible they're patiently waiting to judge their competition before unraveling their own stories?
Looking forward to finding out.

Meanwhile in District Four, four people have posted so far, three of them Tributes themselves - @retrodisco666, @BiscuitsBatchAvoy and @Blackwood all came up with intriguing short tales to tell. Here, however, I bring you @lostthought's:

My reflection in the mirror blinked.

The entries will be judged in approximately 19 hours from the time of this post. Go ahead and submit yours, members of the Districts!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:06 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

THE LAST BATTLE

It's here.
The moment we've all been waiting for.

No, not the actual final results, not yet. That one we're still all waiting for.

As all of the tributes have completed Challenge Four, @SparkToFlame and the Capitol bring you the very details of the Final Battle !
The Districts no longer matter.
Teamwork is what can cost you your life.
In this final challenge, each Tributes stands on their own, battling for the title of the Victor of First YWS Hunger Games.

Competing Tributes, who all deserve a round of supportive applause and loud congratulations, are:

@Pompadour
@Piper
@defyingravity01
@JamesHunt
@ongoeslife
@BiscuitsBatchAvoy
@ShadowVyper
@Blackwood
and @retrodisco666

and today, for about 15 more hours, their challenge is the following:

Find the oldest piece of writing you have and revise it.

The new entry must be at least 500 words long, and it should be a prose piece. The Tributes shall submit both the old and the new version, but only the new one will be judged. Here's what Retro666 thinks about it, and James seconds a few posts later:

Oh Capitol you are so cruel...so so cruel

Personally, I am imensely curious about this one! I still remember some of my own pieces of writing - I even shared a bit of it in here (have some free publicity, @etherealember ;)). Do you?

Watching yourself grow and develop is one of the amazing perks of being a writer. We have it right there, our past and present selves, black ink on white paper with occasional colours to spice it up. Our Tributes have faced much in the past week, and it wasn't easy! Seeing how they do in this last challenge is something we're all curious about, but it's also a chance for them to take a look at themselves, and I hope to hear some comments on what was it like to do this one!

You hear me, Tributes? Those are your comments I'm expecting ;)
omnomnom.
- they/them -

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:32 am
deleted3 says...

Thanks for the shout out @AriaAdams :-D
Love to Live, Live to Love <--- My Motto
http://ekarimbvundula.blogspot.com <--- My Blog
Follow me on: