z

Young Writers Society

Squills Special: The First YWS Hunger Games [1]

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Greetings, everyone!

As we know, this June brings us not only holidays, but the fantastic and terrifying site-wide event - the first ever YWS Hunger Games!

For those of you who might still not know, it's a week-long event meant to challenge the participants' writing skills, at the same time encouraging team spirit and bringing lots of fun, and this special edittion, brought to you by members of the Squills team, will bring the news to you every day.

On The Blood Bath, see:
1. The Beginning
2. Chatting with the Tributes
3. Tracking Progress - Day One
3. Tracking Progress - Day Two
3. News from the Districts

On Challenge One, see:
1. The Beginning 2.0
2. Tracking Progress - Day Three
3. News From The Districts
4. Sneak-peek at Poetree Games

If you wish to subscribe or see something included, or are volunteering to be interviewed, prod @AriaAdams~

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:58 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

THE BEGINNING
written by AriaAdams < PM: >

Preparations have been made.
Districts have readied themselves, each member ready to take the glory or curse of being chosen a Tribute.
The Gamemasters have set the stage.
The interviews-hosting studio has been redecorated.
And now, as the metaphorical clock truck metaphorical midnight... The Tributes have been choosen.

Announced by @SparkToFlame, the Tributes were decided as following:

District One,
@Pompadour, @TimmyJake, @Piper, and @defyingravity01.
District Two,
@JamesHunt, @SecreteJournalist, @indieeloise, and @dragonfphoenix.
District Three,
@Strange, @Buggiedude2340, @verymaryanna, and @ongoeslife.
District Four,
@retrodisco666, @Blackwood, @BiscuitsBatchAvoy, and @ShadowVyper.

After a round of applause, there is no more time for celebrating, for SparkToFlame proceeds to explaining the first challenge, ominously named The Blood Bath:

Write a short story about what you would grab from the cornucopia and why.

Before it's all even completely explained, ideas are already swarming the Tributes' minds. Even those not chosen as Tributes, such as @thegirlwhowrites, seem interested in this challenge!

What will the Tributes come up with?
We shall know for sure at 5 p.m. EST on June 2nd, until when the Tributes have to post their edited and finished challenge.
Who will take the titles of victors of the first challenge?
Find out at 8 p.m. EST on June the 2nd, when the scores for The Blood Bath shall be released!

The crowd cheers once again, the fireworks light the joy on the chosen Tributes' faces. Is it fear hidden under those smiles of anticipation? Time will tell.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:58 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

CHATTING WITH THE TRIBUTES

I am here with the quartet of brave young writers chosen as Tributes for the very first YWS Hunger Games!
Although busy with the first challenge, and still under the impression of seeing their names in @SparkToFlame's post, they've answered my call and joined me in the studio for a short interview.
Pretty please, a round of deserved applause for @defyingravity01, @JamesHunt, @Buggiedude2340 and @ShadowVyper!

Squills Special: Greetings, Tributes! How does it feel to be here, chosen between so many members of your Districts?

defyingravity01: I kinda had a gut feeling I would be chosen, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm also nervous because I don't want to let my District down. The whole process is confusing being the first games and all.

JamesHunt: I am terrified and excited simultaneously - terrified that I am to participate in the most brutal event this website has probably ever seen, but also excited to be part of such a legendary experience.

Buggiedude2340: Uh, it's a little overwhelming! Though at the same time it's not hard to have daydreams of being YWS-famous.

ShadowVyper: It was pretty surprising, actually. I rarely "win" things, if you will, so I didn't even consider the possibility of actually being selected as Tribute. I just joined for the general events... but I'm glad I was selected! This should be a lot of fun! ^-^

SS: All quite understandable, I must say! Don't worry, Tributes, everything will be explained to you as the Games move on, and you can always ask questions! Now, I assume you all already took a look at the first challenge you're facing. What was the first thought that crossed your mind when you read what it's about?

d: I actually only just saw the first challenge. When I saw what it was about, I thought it would be an essay at first. Then I saw the weapon choices and got scared. I'm not quite sure what to do with any one of those items. But I trust my skills and I trust my fellow YWSers to support District 1 throughout the games.

JH: Where I am, it's Autumn, so it's fitting that we need to choose something from a "Cornucopia". Also, I love dogs ;)

B2340: I was like, "Wait, is this an essay or a short story?"
I wondered what the other tributes would pick as their item. We're probably all trying to be as different from each other as we can.

SV: Well, my first thought was "O.O Oh no, I'm rotten at short stories" quickly followed by "I think I should've read the actual book again," because I seem ito have forgotten a lot of the particulars about the Blood Bath. It devolved into plotting shortly after, though. xD

SS: Thank you very much, Tributes. I shall not steal any more of your precious time (for now). Good luck to all of you, and may the odds be ever in your favour!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

TRACKING PROGRESS - Day One

Here we are, about fifteen hours into the Games (if the mathematician part of my brain serves me right at this time!), with the first progress tracking update~

With the clock ticking, some Tributes have realised time is not on their side, and they had no choice but to drop out of the competition!
But with the lovely @SparkToFlame - who might just break the record for the number of times she's tagged in various posts during a single event - to sort things out, there's nothing to fear; although @indieeloise and @SecreteJournalist had to step out in the last moment, their places have been taken by @Wolfare1 and @Storybraniac, defending the honour of District Two.
Good luck both!

Faced with their first challenge, the Tributes' reactions are expectedly various. While some turned quiet and hopefully dedicated themselves to writing, others still have questions to ask.

Wolfare1 and @Strange both seem to wonder whether they can take just one or more items from the Cornucopia.
@Blackwood wonders about the environment, carefully calculating which choice would be the wisest, while @dragonfphoenix demands even more details;

For example, what does the invisibility cloak look like during the day? How tearable is the cloak? What's the weight limit of the rope? Is it exactly 12 inches long, or a little longer/shorter? Does the dog come with a leash? How obedient is it? Is the celebrity just giving the tribute a pep talk, or can they be used to garner support for the tribute? What's the genie inhabit?

Not at all simple to answer, yet Spark stays calm and explains;

We're giving you flexibility here because we want to see what you can do. We're not going to give you a crazy amount of rules because we want to see where you go with a simple prompt. Don't get in your heads about the 'right' or 'wrong' way to write this. Just write it the way you think it should be done.

Barely 10 minutes later, dragonfphoenix already presents his entry, thus becoming the first Tribute to have completed a challenge!

I will whisper the words "german shepherd", but won't spoil the story. Have a look at it here!

Shortly after dragon, @Buggiedude2340 drops by to note;

Writing this prompt makes me feel like an angsty teenager.

Why, you wonder?
So do I! Stay tuned for the next update, and watch the thread linked above closely, and you shall find out soon enough!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

TRACKING PROGRESS - Day Two

With the deadline suddenly here (at 11:11pm my timezone), the official thread for the Bloodbath challenge is filled up with stories - stories interesting enough to have kept me from writing this report until I've read them all, worth mentioning! At the moment, observing the battle from my safe bulletproof studio (hoping the word "bullet" doesn't ban YWS from many a school computers), I'm amused by differences I keep seeing in the Tributes' approach to this challenge.

Some contestants, such as @Storybraniac, @BiscuitsBatchAvoy and @retrodisco666 followed @dragonfphoenix's example by posting their works in the thread itself. Others, like @Strange, @TimmyJake and @ongoeslife, chose to post their stories via the Publishing Center.

@ShadowVyper posted the link to her entry to her wall, asking for constructive criticism from all sides and in unbiased fashion - @Blackwood, on the other hand, first decided to ask for opinion of other District members.

As @SparkToFlame announces the end of the Blood Bath challenge, one entry is still no where to be seen - @verymaryanna 's submission never reached the Capitol, and no one knows what's happening. The technicians are loading the cannon as I speak, but is there a possibility her story just got lost?

Stay tuned, for the official results are coming up soon!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:15 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

NEWS FROM THE DISTRICTS

Of course, being chosen as a Tribute is a great honour, and not for the first time I wish all the luck to all the brave Tributes as they make their way through the challenges one by one, barely sleeping, some clinging to their canine friends as only companions and others repeating the pep talks from their chosen celebrities to themselves like Arya Stark repeats her list of names before falling asleep.

However, it is time and it is due to pay respect to the warriors behind the scenes, the wonderful Districts our Tributes came from, and all their members.
For fierce battles are lead there as well, competitive spirits awoken by @Deanie 's battle cry:

Good morning Districts!

Today is the battle of the review day. Which District will complete the most reviews?

That's right! The Districts are having their very own little Review Day, and only time (and the Gamemasters) know what glory the victory brings. Points, that I know for sure - and if you wish to receive extra ones, there's a challenge in Deanie's announcement as well. Head out to your District's forum to check out what that's about ;)

So far, District One falls silent in this battle, perhaps still busy celebrating their Tributes' completed challenge.

Meanwhile, in District Two, ten reviews have already been posted - @WritingWolf and @Savvy are fiercely fighting for their District, and @JamesHunt and @Storybraniac, although Tributes themselves, joined in full force. Honorable mention goes to James, for reviewing even works of the opponent Districts' Tributes!

District Three is currently in the lead, with no less than 12 reviews - all of them written by @Strange, who's also a Tribute! Well done indeed :D

In District Four, the party has just started, after initial confusion about whom this challenge is for; @BloodinkSeesFootage submitted two reviews already, and it doesn't seem like an end to me!

As a snoop I am, I have posted a call for words of support an inspiration to all the Districts' forums, wondering what their members have to say about the event, or what they might want to tell their Tributes. So far, I have only gotten a response from District Three, but that surely is an optimistic one!

@beeyaay says:

AND THE ODDS ARE EVER IN OUR FAVOUR......GO DISTRICT THREE *Wwhoot whoot whoot*
*three fingers in the air*

Is that the spirit or is that the spirit? :D

I hope to hear from all the four Districts in the soon future, as I'm sure everyone can use some words of encouragement! And as always, if there's anything you wish to see me talking about, just follow that little envelope right up there next to my name, and I shall be of service ^^
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

THE BEGINNING 2.0

As the metaphorical clock strikes metaphorical midnight once more, the everpresent @SparkToFlame announces the scores of the Blood Bath , along with bringing the details of the official Challenge One.

The Challenge deserving of a capital C, one many will walk from with scars. If, that is, they walk away ~*at all*~.

In this challenge, only the highest scorers from team one from every district will be participating. Please take a moment to congratulate (and wish luck to):

@Pompadour for District One
@JamesHunt for District Two
@Buggiedude2340 for District Three
and @BiscuitsBatchAvoy for District Four!

Now what is the challenge, you ask? As expected, the Capitol has the answer:

Write a short story from the POV of your favorite Villain.

Seems fun? Seems easy?

Then what are you waiting for? ;)

The Tributes will have till June 3rd, 8 PM EST to submit their entries. For those of you who can't get ahold of timezones, the following is showing YOUR timezone, wherever in the world you are:

- they/them -

117 Reviews

Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:34 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

TRACKING PROGRESS - Day Three

Greetings, everyone! Was I missed?

*awaits for the fans to grow tired of cheering, accepting it with a gracious smile and nodding slowly*

Thank you, thank you. Right now I must be working on some backup batteries, having not slept for ~*quite a while*~ and those apparently function by charging my ego, so forgive me that entry.

Of course, this isn't about me! I'm here with new update on none else but our brave Tributes, winners of Blood Bath, chosen to participate in the first challenge!

To refresh your memory, and tag people again, these warriors are, as stated in the topic by our busy bee firefly @SparkToFlame~
@Pompadour
@JamesHunt
@Buggiedude2340
aaaand @BiscuitsBatchAvoy!

So far, only Biscuit, the Tribute of the Fourth District, has stepped forward and submitted the story. Without spoiling, I can tell you I'm pleasantly surprised by the choice of villain to base it on. I won't give anything away, but have a random line:

"It's probably best I don't tell you," Incineriol murmurs, "I don't anticipate problems but if we do encounter any it's best if you can't be questioned."

It tells you nothing at all, except that there's some pretty freaking cool mystery stuff going on there, right?
Good.
Listen to the voice of your curiosity and give it a read !

Meanwhile, @Demeter and the Official Poll want an answer to a simple question:

Are you taking part in the YWS Hunger Games?

If you're here, I'm going to take a bold guess you are participating somehow - but nonetheless, if you want it to be known, head to Dem's thread ;)
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

NEWS FROM THE DISTRICTS, June 3rd

With the little Review Day over, I hereby congratulate District Three for doing the most reviews! Woot!

On second place comes District Two, which definitely deserves a mention as well =)

What now when it's done, you ask? Do not despair for long, for the new event is starting right now, and then once more at !

And what is it?
The Poetree Games! - lots of fun for all the poets (as well as non-poets) out there! Interested? You should be =D
Swift as an arrow, join the party!

In District Three, to add to the news, a sudden wild @verymaryanna was spotted! Appearing on the wall, she says:

Unfortunately, as I am out of town, I failed the first challenge. I even had a piece written, but it could not upload on my mobile. I'm sorry I have failed you, my lovely District Three.

@Holysocks speaks for all of us with her reply.

Oh, you didn't fail anyone! You tried, that's all that counts.

@ongoeslife, however, seems to have words of strategy rather than words of comfort!

If you mention that, they may still let you in!

Is it worth a shot?
Will maryanna try it?
We re eagerly awaiting for this to unfold.

Meanwhile, allow me to make a jump to District Four, where @lostthought has a message to share with the brave Tributes from her district:

I would like to say that I am proud of this district's tributes. They got the highest scores than all the other districts. I think that everyone else is also proud of them! Let's just hope it isn't reduced to them killing themselves!

Most definitely not a bad thing to hope for! :mrgreen:

Until next time, when I'll hopefully have caught some sleep and received more from the Districts!
- they/them -

117 Reviews

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:23 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Sneak-peek at Poetree Games!

Right now, in the pad linked just in the post above (but here you go again in case you missed it), Poetree Games are starting with style!

Lead by @SparkToFlame, I have found out, they will consist of not one, but three actual games, which all look like lots of fun!

At the moment, shoutout to the participants:
@Lylas (although she can't stay long, it seems, but she got to pick the first game!)
@Clarity
@Iggy
and @Aley
with honorable mention to @Blues who showed his face for a minute or so!
And as we speak, @StellaThomas and @Auxiira have joined the party =D

Have fun, everyone!

Futhermore, the following picture has leaked into the press. The audience is asked to pay attention to the smiley added to Spark's name, and the way it looks with the : put there by the pad's chat.

Spoiler! :

Seems like someone's unsure whether to be happy or sad!

Disclaimer: Do ignore all the tabs I have opened. Cropping that screenshot seemed like SO MUCH WORK.

Update after the first hour

From Shakespeare to cummings, from Yeats to Oliver, the participants are having fun battling with verses and chatting mercilessly on the side, some of them with mugs full of hot chocolate with cinnamon (@Auxiira ;) )
The winners of the first round are now charging at each other, wielding no other but Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath!

I shall leave you to ponder over wise words of the wise @Iggy:

That's wack, yo

- they/them -

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon