z

Young Writers Society

Squills 5/11-6/1/14

Reviews: 0
Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Tenyo

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Available -- PM SquillsBot if interested

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Aadygirl

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

General Reporters
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
SparkToFlame

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. A NOTE FROM THE STAFF
2. ADVENTURES IN WRITING
3. LIBRARY LOVES
4. STORYBOOK UPDATE
5. NEW ARRIVALS
6. LINK ROUND-UP
7. SHAMELESS PLUGS
8. SUBSCRIBERS
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun May 11, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 11, 2014 8:05 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A NOTE FROM THE STAFF

The Squillians will be vanishing for the next two weeks as some of us graduate and the rest of us kick off summer.

We'll be back posting the week of June 1st.

See you then!

Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Around the site lately, I’ve noticed a lot of stories taking place in Russia, France, Germany, India, and other countries where English is not most of the population’s first language. That’s got me thinking about how to write non-English-speaking or English-second-language characters in a book that’s written in, well, standard English.

On the one hand, you have Gone with the Wind, which spells out the dialect of the slaves phonetically:

Fo' Gawd, Miss Scarlett! We's got ter have a doctah. Ah- Ah- Miss Scarlett, Ah doan know nuthin' 'bout bringin' babies.

Have fun with that for a thousand pages.

And then you’ve got The Rogue Blades, a book self-published by a friend of mine. It’s a good read, with romance, duels, and pirates—but there’s an Irish character whose dialogue alternates between Standard American-English (SAE) and bizarrely spelled SAE punctuated by phrases like “top o’ the morning to ya!”

So how do you write characters who have “non-standard” accents or dialects, or whose first language is not English—in a standard English book? Here are some suggestions to start with.

Writing accents. Let’s use the example above of an Irish character. Say you’ve got one in your novel: a character whose thick brogue stands out in your head as a defining characteristic. Naturally, you want your reader to understand and remember throughout the reading that he has a brogue.

But for the love of God, don’t write his brogue out phonetically.

You might be tempted to spell out words the way you imagine an Irish person would say them (“foiter” instead of “fighter,” for example). Aside from the fact that you’ll have real Irish people rolling on the floor with laughter, writing things out this way is irritating for readers. When a book spells dialogue out the way it would sound instead of using traditional spellings, the audience has to work harder to understand it. This can result in a less-than-full understanding of what’s happening as readers skim the dialogue to get through it faster, or even a loss of audience members as people who would’ve otherwise read the book put it down in favor of something easier to understand.

You have some leeway if you want to drop a few letters or slur your words—cutting the h off the front of “headache” to hint at an accent, for example—but don’t go Gone with the Wind on your dialogue. Not unless you want to give readers an ‘eadache. It’s a better idea to simply tell your audience, “He spoke with a thick Irish brogue.” However, even this is unnecessary if your Irish character lives in Ireland, surrounded by other Irish characters. You only need to tell us that a character has an accent if he lives in a setting where the accent is out of place.

This doesn’t mean readers will actively read the character as sounding Irish. Most readers read dialogue in their own dialect, even if they’re aware that the character speaking actually sounds very different. But forcing your audience to remember how characters sound by writing dialogue phonetically is a pain in the butt for everyone involved. Don’t do it.

Using slang. Slang is your friend. (Pay close attention, because this is likely the only time you’ll ever hear that sentiment uttered by an English teacher.) Slang changes so often and varies so widely that using it in your dialogue can instantly place your characters in a time period or determine their age. It also provides characterization in other ways: the slang your characters use or don’t use can point to their level of education, their relationship with the characters around them, and their familiarity with pop culture. For example, a character in her mid-twenties might use a lot of slang while hanging out with her friends but no slang when interviewing for a job or internship.

Using dialects. A dialect is like a subspecies of language. People who speak different dialects of the same language may have difficulty understanding each other—not because they have different accents (although they often do), but because their use of the language in question is so different in terms of grammar and vocabulary.

For instance, different terms can create confusion between native speakers of Inland Northern American-English and Lower Southern American-English. One example is “pop” or “soda” versus “coke.” My father once ordered a Coke in a diner down South, only to have his waitress ask, “What kind?” She thought he meant “coke” as in “ a carbonated beverage, in general,” when what he actually meant was a Coca-Cola, specifically.

Grammatical differences are more complicated but also exist, although it depends on the context. The average person working in a hyper-professional setting in the U.S. will default to Standard American-English, “clean up” his language and structure his sentences “properly.”

The nice thing about dialects is that you can use them the same way you use slang—to set characters in a place and time or give clues as to their age, education, and relationships. The difference is, while slang is driven by young adults and changes rapidly, dialects are shared by people belonging to the same social group or region (or both). Because of this, dialects span the generations and are more constant. While use of current slang can point to a person who is most likely between the ages of thirteen and twenty-five, use of a dialect can place a character in a setting and social group as well.

The rules that apply to writing dialects can also apply to writing characters who don’t speak English. A fantastic example is Rohinton Mistry’s A Fine Balance. The novel takes place in 1980s India and features Hindi and Muslim characters. Rather than writing out accents or having entire conversations written in one of India’s many languages, Mistry shows cultural differences in language by dropping Hindi ejaculations, expressions, and habits into the story and dialogue. He doesn’t spend time explaining what “Hai Ram!” means or what chapatis are, yet readers understand the story and character interactions through context and well-built settings.

Don’t fall prey to the temptation of writing accents into character dialogue. Instead, use slang, vocabulary, and grammar where you can for characterization and to get the sound of your dialogue across. If you aren’t a native speaker of a dialect you choose, try to find someone who is to give you a read-through and tell you if your dialogue comes across as authentic or as someone who’s trying too hard.

And the best advice I can give you (for any matter on writing): read! Read widely. Read fiction and non-fiction, fantasy and romance. Read about all genders, races, and sexualities. Read books that take place in foreign countries and feature main characters native to those countries. See how professionally published authors—both authors you like and authors you don’t like—write non-English characters. What can you learn from them? What do they do well? What do they do that you don’t like?

Adventures in Writing will be on haitus for a bit as our Adventurer goes off to have the real-life adventures of moving and marriage. Our regularly scheduled column will return shortly!

Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

@CesareBorgia has dropped in to share all things books! Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)

Let’s get down to it.

Something New:

The Messenger by Markus Zusak

Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

CesareBorgia: One of my favorite novels is The Messenger by Markus Zusak, it's really good, but it hasn't had a lot of attention. Which is surprising, seeing as The Book Thief is now becoming a movie.

Something Familiar:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.
Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

CB: A book that I would recommend that is mainstream, is called The Book Thief… xD…I would recommend it because it delves deep into the Holocaust. Also it tells writers that they don't have to go crazy in describing characters.

Something Loved:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When Jonas turns 12 he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver.

CB: The Giver. I love that book because it's so good. It's touching and sad, and it doesn't die out. No matter how many times I read it, it's still a very good book

Thanks CesareBorgia! I’m reading The Book Thief myself at the moment, and I know how much @StellaThomas loves it also :)

Sun May 11, 2014 8:11 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

STORYBOOK UPDATE
written by AfterTheStorm < PM: >

Fresh from the Press

Storybooks! Get yer hot-off-the-press Storybooks here! And I’ve got a heaping pile of great new additions just for you. Check it out!

Both Ouran High School Host Club and Adventures: The Draconian Gambit hit the forums on May 3rd, still warm from their creator’s computers.

If you’re a fan of the anime Ouran High School Host Club, head on over to @Fade’s brand new SB which is still accepting!

Then if you’re feeling quite adventurous and particularly wibbly-wobbly, join @Griffinkeeper and SPEW on another adventure through YWS, working with Knights, AI, ray guns, stun guns, guns that we’re not sure what they do, guns that Grif won’t let you touch, guns that turn @Rydia pink, and other fun and dangerous gadgets to use against anti-creative regimes. Here’s what Grif wrote:

"And our mission?"

"Our mission is to pick up the Knights of the Green Room team and proceed to the Draconia system. Once there, we go into stealth mode and serve as a forward operations base for the Knights. The Knights will then deploy to the planet and locate our agent."

*starts playing the SPEW theme song, even though there probably isn’t one in existence*

More recently, @AfterTheStorm (hm, she seems familiar) posted The Seven Masks of Fate: A Monster’s Masquerade this Wednesday. It reads,

Allow me to introduce myself as Dul’edai, and it is time for Men to play my games again.

When seven men and women sail to the fabled Isles of Dravak-ile, beauty and splendor await them. However, behind that haunting majesty lurks Dul’edai, a puppeteer and toy master, genius and monster. And he just so happens to be the host to these seven oblivious travelers. Broken men stand no chance against his games. Join in, and try to survive.

Storybooking Workshop Opportunity!

Are you new to Storybooks or need a refresher? @elinor20%brynn has you covered. On May 18th, this SB 101 workshop will go over:

- What a storybook is/how it compares and contrasts from other creative writing
- How to join/create a storybook
- How to create strong characters/posts
- How to get along with your fellow storybookers
- Why it's rewarding

Head on over with this link to RSVP for this great event or to find out more! Elinor said,

So if you've always wanted to storybook, but never known where to start, I hope to see you there! Zero experience or knowledge is required; in fact, it's encouraged!

I highly suggest taking a few minutes out of your day to chat with awesome Storybookers for tricks of the trade. Check it out!

In the Spotlight

This week, @Alvarin stole the seat in the limelight. We sat down for a bit so I could get the backstory on this Swedish cat’s SB experience.

Squills: So when and why did you first get involved with Storybooking?

Alvarin: Well, it was the first thing I did when I joined YWS.. Which I think was in September 2012 (probably). I roleplayed a lot as a kid, and I was feeling nostalgic, so I Googled for some place where I could RP a bit, and when I found the SB section here I was stuck xD

*whispers:* (#prostatus)

S: . . . [D]id that past RP experience give you a head start in the Storybooking forums?

A: Hmm.. Maybe. I mean, it had been almost ten years, and I only used to RP with one person, that I talked directly to (we were friends in RL). It was more like playing for lazy kids, rather than SBing.. So yeah, maybe a little bit, but not much.

S: What type of Storybooks are you geared to now? Any in particular that the Squills reader should look up?

A: Well, as always I'm in more SBs than I can handle. Brythilon and The Bound are the ones that are the most active right now, so you might want to check those out. ;) . . .

I'm also hoping to get Wonderland Rift 2 pulled out of the archives soon.

Alvarin, when asked about why she thinks users should Storybook, replied,

A: One gets to cooperate with people, and play around with characters and events and plots and… All kinds of things. And also, I feel like my characters and my plotting have gotten so much better since I started with the SBs, and it's a great way to get to know characters that I want to eventually put in a novel. But really, I mostly do it just because it's fun.

Well, you heard the lady! There’s plenty of amazing opportunities for you to jump in and have fun Storybooking, so head on over to the SB forums (right after you read a few more Squills articles, that is). Plug into a new Storybook group today, and as always: Write on!

Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
by KnightTeen < PM: >

OH MYYY GOD
OH MI GOD YOU GUUUYS!
GUESS WHAT,
I'VE GOT A BIG SURPRISE!

WE'VE REACHED OVER 30 THOUSAND USERS!!!!!!!!!!!

And the person who can figure out my reference to a certain musical gets extra brownie points for awesomeness.

@FoodNerd@DeathRa@justinkalaveras • @Zhia • @Chelseacheyenne@Izhur@tyrauje@Vanillica@totypeawriter@libbyloulovesyou@vagahbond@Storyandwriter678@PercyJacksonObsessor@NightCreature@TheAppleSolution@BellaComy@ThatWriterGuy@Pixelshock@Warlord@jas199814@urve@Sakets@asalash@BakuAppetizer@thecheeseobsession@crysteldreams321@Esthon@1Weirdsituation@Chekuri9@JamieBecker@MicahTheCreator@Nole@JasperCollins@LeaRye@Emmy51@luv4horses@whereveryouare@morningowl200@GUY99@fender@RookMoonHammer@aruncruise@GummyBearClaire20@smartfolk280@SetAFire@kymorhens • @ContestPointPool • @MFLOVE@luxshana@TashHill@KyleSucka@Crosa@Henox@harshsaral@Athulk123@GiddyUnicorn@astutedude@angellove@RandomActsofKindness@nikkisummers@GStunning@CelloMonroe@TheWeeklyWriter@RayaAslan@soumya@ImWolf@Nishi196@emporiumblues@BrilliantMustaches@mkdionne@EricFraser@Kamelot09@HeWhoExpresses@lilyblossom101@PenguinPK@KLK99@happysmilers@didi@AlteringCreation@akash333@Rajini@Zermeen@zardychess@nikaquack17@angelQH@nycto@bunbunbun@maulanadamar@julietrose@FiguringOutLife@LuxWinchester@yeupyuep@emilygatesx • @+IsaMoore • @Felisca@everjohnson@BcRep@artangel@Profanisaurus@Sherri@Rosetta@Paintedsky@MyraPrim@lovatic@RexVerba@blubunniesglitter@SamSamtheGeek@Aeri@david653@Crazynessislife@Yashdeep@Shivika@VergilthePoet@hitxuanni@Qrow@sonofskyrim@thebrightestfell@sweetyami101@NotBobbywalker@AlphaBaillie@csl24899@MaxM@KidChabbagePatch@Drue@Taneeya@EmmaMoon@IWantedToBeAWriter@Ehtaniel@muscleman@Neversaynever@SatansAngel@alexiaparisien@Mediuss@Gilgurt@Alchemist@TUSDarryl@heavynthebum

Sun May 11, 2014 8:15 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 5/11
written by megsug < PM: >

You're our 1000th visitor! Choose from four BRAND NEW LINKS!!!!

@JohnLocke1 believes in a definite right and wrong. @Karzkin voices his differing opinion:

The fact that two different people (or hundreds of people) can look at the same issue and all come to a different conclusion suggests that ethics are subjective and relative.

JohnLocke wants to know what you think about right and wrong and the gray area in between and how you determine what's right and what's wrong.

@HighTop @TashHill and @dragonlily all have similar dilemmas. They can't seem to decide on which novel idea to write about, so they've decided to ask you! I'm digging one of DragonLily's ideas:

This story is about a young orphaned girl who lives on the streets and has to steal to survive. She’s constantly evading the police, and has had to travel all over the country to do so, and by now she’s quite well known for being a “bad person,” a “criminal,” and a “little devil.” She doesn’t want to be all those things, but it’s the only way she can live. On the surface, this story is narrating a small part of her life, but really it’s full of wisdom, insight, unique perspectives, and jolting revelations. The mind of this girl is much more beautiful and complex than anyone could ever guess by looking at her lifestyle.

All of the ideas this trio is trying to pick from are really interesting. Help them choose today!

You may have noticed a new user on YWS recently. @RandomActsofKindness explains their presence and advises you to check out this club. The club's mission is to:

…spread happiness through these random acts of kindness. We'll give random reviews, send gifts, and do other nice things! :D

Go join the club and be a kind person today!

If you need a little push to review, I've found the contest for you! Write a review a day, and if you don't you pay @ContestPointPool at least 50 points. When the contest end at the end of the year, the top three reviewers will get some serious pointage:

1st top reviewer: 50% of remaining points.
2nd top reviewer: 30% of remaining points.
3rd top reviewer: 20% of remaining points.

Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun May 11, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

No advertisements for this week!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun May 11, 2014 8:20 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Judas • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @ravenmoonstone • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah • @pandabear7 • @Pompadour@Zontafer • @gaurav009 • @QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @ddman18 • @vluvswriting • @shoaib • @GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren