z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/27-5/4/14

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Tenyo

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Available -- PM SquillsBot if interested

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Aadygirl

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

General Reporters
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
SparkToFlame

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

UNBELIEVABLE USERNAMES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

Squills: Usernames are our chosen online identity. It’s a small representative of yourself and I, for one, take it very seriously!

Some go for the artsy names, some take the comedic route while others choose to link themselves to their favourite film or book character!

There are some unbelievable usernames on YWS, so I decided to go & find out why you chose the username you did and if they had any hidden meanings.

Like a lot of users, @WillowPaw1 had a very sensible reason for choosing the name she did.

WillowPaw1: I chose my username for two main reasons.

1) I use it for almost every account, so that way it is sooo much easier to remember.
Willow is my name. 

Also, I liked the names for the Warriors series so I thought it'd be cool to have a user like that, even though I don't enjoy the books that much.

S: While @Zontafer explained that there’s not always a wonderful story behind a username.

Zontafer: Well, I wish I could have given you something interesting, but I just found this name on a site and liked it.. :/

S: However, things started to get a little more interesting when I bumped in to @PiesAreSquared and asked him about his choice.

PiesAreSquared: PiesAreSquared is a pun on the mathematical formula for the area of a circle, hitch is /pi times the radius squared.

*evil laugh*

S: THEN, things got even more personal when @Demeter gave me a glimpse into her username world!

Demeter: [i]When I joined YWS, I was going through a serious fangirl phase with Cats (the musical). I couldn't stop reading about it and listening to the songs as you do when you're obsessed with something like that! Anyway, my favourite character in the musical was a cat called Demeter, so that made it quite easy. ;)

That's the only explanation for the name, unfortunately! Most people think I chose it because of the Greek goddess Demeter, but actually I wasn't even aware of her until I joined YWS and people started asking me about it! I guess it's sort of a base for my username as well, though, because I think T. S. Eliot (whose book the musical is based on) must have named his cat character after the goddess.

Also, there is a disturbing number of people who think it actually says "Dementer"…
[/i]

S:Finally, things got mad, crazy, insane when I met the only and only, @GoldFlame. Hold on to your hats people and keep up!

GoldFlame: I guess mine does have a little story behind it. When I was but a wee YWSer, my username was SilverFlame, and I submitted a low-quality work. Suddenly I had zero points. I wiped my reputation clean by creating another account ... which I named GoldFlame. Then people figured out @GoldFlame and @SilverFlame were the same member, so for fun I created @BronzeFlame and @IronFlame. That even developed into a club (@Dragon99): "GoldFlame's-Many-Flamey-Names".

Why'd I choose SilverFlame in particular? Well, other fiery usernames inspired me, and I have this file of dragon pictures on my desktop.

And that is the long and boring history of the Flame family.

S: Boring?! PPPFFFFT! That was amazing!

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. :D

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

I grew up in a rural area so lacking in diversity that I can count on one hand all the people of color (POC) who went to high school with me. I don’t need one finger to count how many POC worked at the store where I got my first job. (Zero, kids.) And a year after I graduated, my high school drama director coerced all six of the African-Americans in school by then into doing theatre just so he could put on his favorite play—To Kill a Mockingbird, which he was afraid he’d never get the chance to do again because the school was that white.

With that in mind, you might not find it surprising that it took so long before I started writing characters who were POC. It took a move to a much more diverse area to realize how much I was leaving out.

(And I do apologize, because I know how horrible that is. I’m learning.)

Toledo is pretty good for diversity. There’s a little old Indian man who goes around town in a peacoat and a fedora, wishing people a happy Sunday (or Tuesday or Friday or whatever day it happens to be). There’s an elderly black gentleman who always wears a hat and buys lots of cat food for what must be a well-loved and extremely spoiled army of felines. There’s a middle-aged woman from Africa who speaks almost no English and pays for her groceries in change but has a beautiful smile that she doesn’t hesitate to use. Two of my coworkers are Iranian; one of them bought me groceries on her way out from work one night this past summer, when my grandfather died and I ran out of money and I was too depressed to keep down anything heavier than the sandwich and yogurt she bought for me.

There are Muslims and Christians and atheists, Middle-Easterners and Indians and the occasional Australian or German, people with mental or physical disabilities, women and men and people who may or may not be otherwise gendered, queer people and straight people.

But for those of you who a) are living in the kind of area I grew up in, rather than the kind of area I live now, or b) want advice on writing diversely or c) haven’t thought much about this yet, I interviewed @Rosey%20Unicorn on diversity in fiction. Here’s what she had to say on the subject.

BlueAfrica: Thank you for talking to me today. Before we begin, could you tell me a little bit about your background, as it pertains to learning about diversity?

Rosey Unicorn: I am majoring in anthropology. Its main application is studying indigenous/marginalized peoples and using the knowledge to give them more rights. And when I first started writing, my mom got me two "how to write fantasy" books. One of them is wonderful, The Writer’s Complete Fantasy Reference. While it's 80% Europe, there was one blissfully inspiring section on non-Western fantasy worlds. I got that when I was like 12, and I’ve been writing non-Western worlds ever since.

B: Why is diversity so important in literature?

R: Because I have spoken to people who feel so disillusioned with media because they never see themselves. It’s heartbreaking to hear somebody say “that’s not me.” 90% of my friends are queer, and they can’t really look at a character and go “that’s me.”

B: Obviously the best way to diversify your writing is to have a diverse group of friends and diverse experiences to draw from. But what would you suggest for someone who is interested in writing diverse characters and lives in an area with little diversity?

R: Google. Tumblr. YWS. TV Tropes. Talk to people. Always, always, always listen when you’re being called out. Tumblr’s a good one because people vent, but it’s also HARSH because it’s one of the only places that’s actually safe to vent. If you dive into Tumblr tags for research, you will get venting. But when I say “use Tumblr,” I do mean “tag dive.” Both ask people willing to answer questions and read venty posts (Without. Stealing. Their. Ideas!!!!) to get more micro aggressions.

B: In one fantasy-survey infograph I read, it said one thing people want to see more in fantasy is fantasy worlds where queer people have complete equality. Do you think that fantasy needs to be reflective of real life in terms of discrimination and things like that, or are you onboard with the idea of fantasy worlds where different races, genders, and sexualities have equality?

R: Fantasy has no rules. I am completely on board with the idea that fantasy needs to reflect the diversity, because it’s so often whitewashed in the name of "historical accuracy" when that is the farthest thing from the truth. Asia and Europe are on the same landmass. Spain was given most of its technological advancements by the Moors, who were black. Japanese diplomats made it to Spain. Rome was not white; it covered Africa and the Middle East and Europe. Egypt was not white.

People apply modern ideas about what society is like to history, and. It. Doesn’t. Work. That. Way. There was a time white privilege didn’t exist. There was a time straight privilege didn’t exist. People need to wrap their heads around that concept, that this world we live in is not static. Women weren’t always oppressed, men were not always dominant. I think what blows my mind the most is that archaeologists just now learned that women hunted. These super-decorated graves they found, archaeologists had identified them by grave goods. So these men went, “Oh! Hunting gear! Men hunt! We have a man!” Then they ran DNA tests. “These are biologically female skeletons.”

Our history has been written by white men who thought that only white men contributed anything of value. And that’s really the bottom line about history. Start looking into the number of things Europe didn’t invent. Surgery was invented in the Middle East. University was invented by a Muslim woman. While Europe was in the Dark Ages, Islamic scholars were studying and learning and preserving. They were far better than the Greeks at science. Not to mention the number of rulers who had lovers of the same sex.

B: What is your best advice for someone who wants to write a character who is a different gender, sexuality, or race than he is?

R: Write two of them. Which sounds like odd advice. The first step is often cited as “write them as a person” or “research like mad.” But, if you only have one person of a certain type—say a gay guy. All of a sudden, he’s the token gay guy. He’s the guy readers look at and go, “They just threw him in for diversity’s sake.” But if you have two or three or more gay guys, then all of a sudden, you have representation. You have room for multiple types of personalities. Not to mention, most of my queer friends have lots of queer friends. You’re more likely to have one straight person in a group than one gay person. Let’s be perfectly honest here. Similar deal with race. Make more. Don’t have tokens; have a population.

B: Anything else for our readers to consider when writing diverse characters?

R: Intersectionality, please. Queer POC. Disabled women. POC women. Basically a character who is two marginalized groups at once. Because you can end up with a POC, a queer, and a disabled. It gets really tiring to see only disabled white men or queer white men.

The big takeaway from this interview, as I see it, is this: Let diverse characters become characters, people, rather than tokens who are only there so people won’t accuse you of racism/sexism/bigotry/ablism/whatever.

You shouldn’t want to write them for that reason anyway. You should want to write them because all kinds of people are interesting and worth writing. Bug Rosey, who in addition to being able to talk a lot about diversity is a font of knowledge when it comes to history and linguistics. Bug @Isha, who wrote an amazing article on writing characters who are not like you (linked below). Talk to people. The world is a diverse place—why shouldn’t your writing be?

Here are some links to check out to find out more about diversity in fiction:

The Mako Mori Test: ‘Pacific Rim’ inspires a Bechdel Test alternative
Writing a Character From a People Group Not Your Own by Isha
Historical precedent and fantasy writing
Fantasy survey infograph: diversity in fantasy

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WRITER OF THE WEEK INTERVIEW WITH THESHAUZER
written by Messenger < PM: >

Well once again a new Writer Of The Week has been chosen. @TheShauzer was picked for his great writing skills in the realm of short stories. You can find them in his portfolio right here: Shauzer's portfolio I'm sure you will enjoy them. This week I got to sit down with him and have a quick chat about his reaction and thoughts on receiving the honor.

Messenger: Hey Schazuer! Congratulations on being announced as writer of the week. How'd you first respond to the big news? We've had people choke on crackers before :D

TheShauzer: I was in shock! :D

M: Hahaha. What do you mean joined? I'm not sure whether or not you have heard of WOTW, but
did you ever expect to be named the Writer Of The Week

TS: No! I didn't even know there was a WOTW.

M: You didn't? Wow that must've been very exciting! Do you have any tips to others who would like to become WOTW?

TS: Yep, just write as much as you can and take your criticism well :)

M: That's a very good point you make about accepting criticism well. Everyone is sure to receive some harsh criticism in their life, but they good writers are the ones that can accept it, and push forward.
Have you had any humorous criticism given to you? Any fun stories you'd mind sharing?

TS: Sorry but no, I haven't had the pleasure.

M: Well enjoy your time as WOTW! Do you have any writing tips in general, not necessarily exclusively for WOTW, you'd like to give to readers, or any works of art you'd like to show off?

TS: I guess the only way to get better at writing is to keep doing it, and keep reading a lot too because that helps greatly... That's all I guess, happy writing and thanks again!

Well there you have it. Another interview with a good writer! Shauzer made some very short, but important points. Criticism will always be handed out, but it's the writers job to take that criticism and use it to their advantage.
And as he said, reading will really help in your life of writing.

Hope you enjoyed the interview! This will be the last Writer Of The Week interview in the Squills Column Starting next week it will be included in the Weekly Writer an E-Zine written by the WOTW Academy members!

So keep writing! You may be the next person I interview!

~Messenger

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

INGREDIENT OF THE WEEK

Written by whitewolfpuppy < PM: >

Dill

Dill is an aromatic annual herb of the parsley family, with fine blue-green leaves and yellow flowers. The leaves and seeds of dill are used for flavoring and for medicinal purposes. Mainly for culinary purposes, we use it as seasoning. If you ever taste dill, it does have a strong taste. The taste not crazy but distinctive. So when cooking with dill, extra amounts are needed to get the flavor of the dill into the food that you are creating. Small amounts of dill do not truly get the full flavor in there, so a little more than normal will help you get there! Always remember to taste while cooking, no one wants to add too much dill. For example, when cooking Salmon with Dill, you are needing a fourth of a cup.

Cedar Plank-Grilled Salmon with Garlic, Lemon and Dill
Original recipe makes 8 (6-ounce) servings Change Servings

1 (3 pound) whole filet of salmon, skin on, scored (up to but not through the skin) into serving pieces

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 large garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup minced fresh dill

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus lemon wedges for serving

Dill is a seasoning that goes amazing with garlic and lemon, not even just with salmon! Dill can be used in soup, on chicken, and even in burgers. Dill is a tool that most should work with if they are wanting more of a distinctive taste that is like a combination of fennel, anise and celery, with warm, slightly bitter undertones, then dill is right for you! If you find any wacky recipes, share them with the Food Lovers Club

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

This week, the lovely @Lapis has done YWS the honour of letting us into their most treasured library loves.

Let’s get this show on the road!

Something New:

Seeker by William Nicholson

In a fortress-monastery on an island live the legendary warriors of the Nomana. No one knows the secret behind their power. Though there are three who are determined to find out.

Lapis: It's the first book of one of my favourite series ever... It was highly creative and innovative, and inspiring overall  I will never forget it.

Something Familiar:

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

L: XD Wonderful books... Quite realistic in a way, which is a surprising change, and it explores many themes, such as betrayal and how appearances mean little.

Something Loved:

Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft

Originally written for the pulp magazines of the 1920s and 1930s, H. P. Lovecraft's astonishing tales blend elements of horror, science fiction, and cosmic terror that are as powerful today as they were when they were first published.

L: It's a collection of his stories. It is so big, and features such diverse works, that I'll probably never get tired of it XD Each time you read a story, you see twice as much as before. It's truly amazing.

Thank you Lapis! :D

I’ve read The Seeker by William Nicholson so I’m in total agreement with your recommendation there! I think your Something Loved is also Something New for most of us!

It seems strange and wonderful!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by KnightTeen < PM: >

I am proud to announce that we have reached 29,965 users!
You know me, I'm a snoop! I have to know everything about every new member on the site. (Don't hate me, it's all part of the job!)

Take another look at the numbers for this week. By the end of the week, our counter will be over 30,000! (Three times as many posts as Heather (@Rydia) has done!) I want to take this moment to reflect on just how much YWS has impacted us all.
Moment over!
These new users represent another generation of YWSers. Welcome them all!

Those who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are....

@Sylar14@thebluegemini@IridescentGrace@YewandeAwonaike@DisneyIsAnOpenDoor@thozhasharo7@townzy95@MoonlitSlumber@bluedragon@mrnobie2013@ialreadydiedtoo@impersonator@radburn@smilekid@MeTheKing@KingOfNothing@mantha19@Cody616@Sylvester@Hasi@Percybeth@writingismylife3@Blackenmist@passionatewriter23@asadderandawiserman • @• @thelonewriter@Kelpies@Giraffe@franklin@allymorgan13@Jackalcat@GrumpyHippo@theshaybay4@pinkymustachio@ayancey23@swagqueen@Abaddon@MichaelFishbag@WimpWriting@AliCat@Xanthia@ChasinGrades@maxbriston@RATANVARSHNEY@bigsow@ronnie1 • @ronnie@yaseradnan@cheesecaaake • @Savvy • @whatsonyourmind@JSFord97@musicandbooks@Charlie793@nikolapivac@Handsqueazy@Gingahcakes@tallygirl@Tiaradyson@Nevermore140813@LailaMaged@Charcoal@ryangibello@FerrumCorde@EdenPhoto@TreesaLouis@sky767@ronaltorto@xLovex01@Zeddya@MonkeyMushroom@Skylarembers@sonyawolfblood@CyberScout@moonulv@nathfash@AmethystOceanPearl12@reneeakrobbi@erinasher@lozzyloo123@Brunnera@LucidInsanity@melodypond46@francesnut12@BioHaphazardess
Last edited by SquillsBot on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 4/27
written by megsug < PM: >

Smile for the camera! Say “Round up!”

The two in charge of all of this, may put a bounty on my head, but this is too fantastic to keep to myself. Some people want to gather a group picture. Which means that some people want to draw YWSers in their YWS image. The idea was started in 2011, but it’s been restarted which means that the link leads to the sixth page instead of the first. @steward knows what he wants to look like:

Just shade me in like a shadow guy with only eyes as the details.

So, what do you want to look like?

@Hasi (she’s new, so you should go say hi and be friendly) has got a pretty cool plot going on, and she wants to see what other people feel about it. Part of her plot goes like this:

She manages to bump into a group of young adults, all convicts and on the run, who take her in, unaware they are giving refuge to a princess-queen with a bounty on her head by the new head of her city. A mystery antagonist, yes?

Read the rest of her story and let her know what you think she should do!

@Bellator has been working on her NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month) thread and has some great stuff. I really like this one:

They hate each other,
But they clink glasses and smile,
Smile for the children
Smile for the world.

There is a lot of great poetry hiding in the NaPoWriMo thread . I think you should check it out.

I have found a club for my YA readers! @Laure created a… well, YA club. People can talk about favorite YA books, rants and fangirling, or even discuss the definition of YA fiction. @Laure even has a mission for you:

Spoiler! :

I will donate ten points to anyone who have read these books.

I would get to joining and reading if I were you…

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Did you know you can become a supporter?

Got some cash burning in your pockets? Got a fiery burning passion of love for YWS? Then why not donate to it and help keep it running? Read this to find out more.

Calling all knights and squires!

Calling all knights and squires:
There's a new order to join. Meet monthly challenges and earn points. Check out the League of the Tortoise !

Buggie's Fairy Tale Writing Contest is ending soon!

Write an original fairy tale and submit it to the Fairy Tale Campfire contest, located under the Contest forum. (Or here at this link )
Over 3000 points will be awarded to our winners, but the contest ends midnight GMT on May 8th. May Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumbs lead you to victory!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.
Last edited by SquillsBot on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Judas • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @ravenmoonstone • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah • @pandabear7 • @Pompadour@Zontafer • @gaurav009 • @QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @ddman18 • @vluvswriting • @shoaib • @GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna