z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/13-4/20/14

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Tenyo

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Available -- PM SquillsBot if interested

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Aadygirl

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

General Reporters
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
Lucrezia

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

APRIL FOOLS!

written by Iggy < PM: >

I'm sure all of us experienced a bit of a shock when logging onto the site on April 1st, 2014. First off, there was an odd banner on the home page. Second, there were strange letters (k, d, m) that hovered in the air next to one's username. Third, if you clicked on of these images

you automatically became a member of The Young Dragons/Monkeys/Kangaroos Society! The logo would change to something like this:

After April Fools was done and over with, the results were in and the majority vote was Team Dragon for the official YWS mascot! Dragons/Monkeys suck, go Kangaroos!

Not only did we have that exciting event, but suddenly... everyone's usernames were pink?! (everyone expect @Nate...)

All eyes fell on @Rydia, the notorious prankster, who claimed ignorance to all of this. Eyes also fell on @StellaThomas, who pleaded the fifth and said that she didn't even have the power to change colors. And while this was true, we were still suspicious. A lot of us didn't mind the wonderful and beautiful pink, but such pink!haters like @ariaadams, protested. As seen here , there was some speculation as to which mod did this... until it became obvious. Pink... rosey... @rosey%20unicorn had successfully went through with her first-ever color prank! Kudos to her for choosing some cute shades of pink!

And we can't forget about the awesome pranks! The ball started off with @Master_Yoda's thread about Nate selling his first novel. He got a few to believe him, until @ariaadams first sparked the flames of doubt, and suddenly everyone remembered what day it was.

Then the devious @Rydia rolls in with a wanted thread , demanding Nate be turned into her, dead or alive. It went well for an hour or two... until Nate brought out his ace card, his coding skillz. He proceeded to copy Rydia's profile and put it on as his, changed his username to her old username, Kitty15, and made any attempts to go to his profile redirect to @Meshugenah's profile.

What an event to remember! And finally, there were a few various attempts to fool YWSers, but by then, we were aware and on guard. @ShadowVyper tried to make us believe that her boyfriend had proposed to her, @Cole let it be known that one of his books was being made into a movie, @Blues stated that he was pregnant, @Aquestioning reported that he had been accepted as an apprentice to one of his favorite gaming developers, and @sparktoflame pitched an announcement of her family moving to Antarctica to take care of penguins. NO ONE BOUGHT IT.

Overall, this was a pretty eventful April Fools! Not as fun as last year, when everyone's avatars changed to the "Mine?' bird from Nemo and there was a suspicious tab that, once clicked, changed everything! I can't seem to find a thread for it, but it sure was fun. Here's to seeing what 4/1/15 brings!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

WHEN THE BEE STINGS
written by AfterTheStorm < PM: >

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

In this day and age, there’s pretty much two switches in our heads when it comes to deciding whether or not we like something: the “absolutely-and-hopelessly-obsessed” switch, or the “not-interested-in-the-slightest-don’t-bother-me-with-that-again” side. Sadly for me, my brain almost always functions on the former. And thus this Squills column was born.

Player 1 Has Joined the Game

Remember when you were little and you used to play those games where you could only step on certain spots on the “lava” floor? Alright, well take that concept and multiply its difficulty by a gagillion and you get “Don’t Tap the White Tile” by Umoni Entertainment. (Honestly the developers could have invented a better title, but I’m sure they were too busy stealing evil ideas from the devil himself to insert into this game.) “Don’t Tap” is available for Android and Apple devices, able to spread its frustrating goodness to all those poor unfortunate souls who have a “Flappy Bird” hangover such as @llamallamajam.

The goal is simple: don’t freaking tap the white tiles. You’re given a four-wide grid of white and black rectangles, and you have to hit each black space in sequential order as the board moves upwards. The app starts out innocent enough but soon progresses into Satan’s own flipping little game board. Like, I HATE IT SO MUCH. And yet I can’t stop restarting the app, either. “Don’t Tap” may seem like a simple concept, however you’ll find it’s far from boring. I’m pretty sure they use it to teach ninjas over in Japan.

If you’re ever in training to become a finger-wrestling champion, install this application. If you ever want to waste time on fruitless activities that will most likely never enhance your career (unless you’re a ninja or thumb-wrestler), install this application. If you ever want to frustrate your friends and yourself to no end, INSTALL THIS APPLICATION. “Don’t Tap the White Tile” is one of the most aggravating, exasperating, and addicting games I’ve encountered.

So I am, naturally, obsessed with it. (My highscore is 148, so let me know if you cream that.)

The Home Screen and the Big Screen

I was sitting in the theater the other day waiting for Divergent to begin, and I see the preview for a very familiar movie. . . The trailer began focused on a teen boy in a rushing elevator. After a few moments, the lift slowed to a halt and the doors opened. The boy was then greeted by a strangely attractive group of young men, all welcoming him to the Glade while calling him a “greenie”. At this point of the trailer, I immediately started doing a happy dance in my seat.

So is it even possible to obsess over a movie that hasn’t even been released yet? Guilty is charged, although it’s for good reason: The Maze Runner is coming out in the U.S. on September 19th. (I’ve waited five years for this date, so I suppose I can survive another few months. . . Albeit a bit grudgingly though.) Most of you probably don’t know what the heck I’m talking about! Allow me to take you on a little train ride to the land of W.I.C.K.E.D.—no, not Elphaba’s “Wicked,” @Iggy!—and to a future after the sun flare disasters.

The original book called The Maze Runner was published in 2009, written by my main man James Dashner. (He’s pretty cool, if you didn’t know.) This first novel spawned two more in its trilogy, The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure before Dashner published the prequel to the series called The Kill Order. The synopsis to Maze Runner reads,

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade.

All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift. Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

I’m eager to find out how the director of this first film interprets the barren, strange world surrounding Thomas and W.I.C.K.E.D. Especially if you’re a fan of dystopian sci-fi or action/adventure like @Auxiira, @Snoink, and @Karzkin, I highly recommend The Maze Runner. Check out the trailer here , so you can freak out over the movie with @defyingravity01 and me!

Looks Like Treble

First off, please pardon the awful musical pun above. It’s hard to resist such a tempting play on words.

I’ve recently acquired a new song to top all other musical masterpieces in my playlist. My favorite version is sung by this really amazing man called Ramin Karimloo (@Shadowlight and @Alvarin know what I mean) and it’s called “’Til I Hear You Sing”. Ramin’s vocals hold such raw power and emotion throughout the song, each decrescendo caressed by a more tender side to his voice. Pretty much, it’s beautiful in all sorts of ways. Here is a link to the cover on YouTube.

“’Til I Hear You Sing” begins slowly before it progresses into a more emotional chorus line that spirals upwards. Maybe it’s due to the fact that I’ve been in a romantic mood this month, but this song speaks straight to my heart. The words are gentle and passionate but bear such meaning, and Ramin’s voice plus the piano in the background create a gorgeous melody. One of my favorite lines is

I'll always feel
No more than halfway real
Till I hear you sing once more. . .

because the power chord right at the end gets me every time. Dang it, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Ramin Karimloo for pulling all the tender strings of my heart!

Person of Interest

Also speaking of men with voices gifted to them by freaking angels, meet Peter Hollens:

Look at his cute lil face. Mr. Hollens is mainly based from YouTube where he creates elaborate a capella songs, duets, you name it. His videos are incredible and great quality—all of them entertaining. You’re sure to find your favorite genre on his channel . I remember actually talking with @Baal and @Messenger awhile back about Peter and Lindsey Sterling’s violin/voice cover of the Skyrim theme. (Which I recommend looking up because 1. it’s Skyrim-related 2. it has cool editing and 3. because I say so and Stormsie knows best.)

It’s people like Peter Hollens that make me take a step back and wonder why the heck I’m not doing something so beautiful and cool with my life. He’s absolutely talented to the point that it’s disgusting. Disgusting. Maybe we should all just reevaluate our lives. You know what? *eye twitch* Maybe I don’t even have a life, and that’s why I vent my obsessions of the week through this article. . .

Since I evidently have no possession over my life, submit to me some of your favorite things! Squills loves to hear from you. Hope you enjoyed this newest segment of “When the Bee Stings”, and check back in next time for more YWS favorites. As always: Write on!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES

Hello again, YWS! This is going to be a bit short because I've yet to recover from yesterday night, which was my first and last prom! It was pretty fun and I wore a cute black dress and turquoise heels and my feet were hurting majority of the night but I wouldn't take my heels up because they were AMAZING and it was a lot of fun, yes.

But enough about me. I'll blog about prom later. It's time to focus on you.

The one and only @Audy has bought a house! You can see lots of pictures in the link above to her blog post, so go check that out!

@sparktoflame had a lot of fun this weekend, acting like a sixteen year old! Not sure what she did, but I'm glad to here she had fun. :) As did @Clarity; I can only assume from the amount of snapchats she sent me that blew up my phone. >_>

@lapis and @pervadedbydarkness are both sick! :( No bueno, boys! Here's to hoping you get better. On another note, @lapis has arrived at Comic Con, which tells me he must be feeling a little bit too better. *is jealous*

@reisepiecey has a thing for lumberjacks! Not sure why. Is it the beard?

@Demeter went to wedding fair and had someone assume she was engaged. It makes me sad that she isn't, but maybe in the future?! ;)

@Laure made amazing brownies and posted pictures of them on her wall and has made me extremely hungryyyy. Make some for me, Laure. Dx

Not only did her birthday just pass, but because of it, @icannothearthings and her cousin are going to a Supernatural con! I bet @Rydia and @Meshugenah are greeeen.

@Messenger is clearly out of touch, because he just saw Mulan for the first time (in forever). How could you?! That movie is one of the best movies Disney has ever done!

@Deanie and @thewritersdream have a veryvery huge crush on Theo James, who plays Four in Divergent. Can't see why. I mean, he's alright. Personally, I adore Shailene Woodley more, but whatever floats your goat. <3

@Aquestioning is on a Storybook frenzy and has actively been a big part of reviving the Storybook forum, so if you have a moment, please go thank him. He's simply amazing. ^^

And to wrap this up, a cute photo of our beloved @thewriterinside and her man!

TOO MUCH CUTENESS I CANNOT DEAL. <3

Send me your latest gossip. You know you want to. Until next time, YWS.

xxx

Lady S

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

STORYBOOK UPDATE
written by AfterTheStorm < PM: >

IT’S ALIVE! IT’S ALIIIIVE!

What is it with all these resurrected Storybooks this month? Dr. Frankenstein must be working over-time.

Storybooks often fizzle out into sad and abandoned threads, leaving behind charred remnants of their former glory. However, sometimes an archived SB sparks an interest in a YWSer and they begin a quest to rekindle the story’s previous blaze.

The Potterbook

Take @CelticaNoir’s Storybook, Potterbook , which was a popular hit in 2012, for example. Thanks to @Iggy we’re able to experience “Potterbook” once more in version two, Potterbook v.2 . I chatted with Celty for a bit, allowing her to share her opinions about the new copy of PB.

Squills: So, on my old account I remember the first Potterbook and it seemed to be a big hit. What made the original so popular in YWS?

CelticaNoir: You know, I think it was the people who played it. Potterbook was originally a kind of group idea; I was in Pokébook at the time, and I brought up how cool I thought a 'Potterbook' would be. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I had a redheaded Slytherin girl in Harry's place who was a prankster. . . . in the end, it was really more of a group effort than anything else.

S: Does the redo feature similar assets/storyline? What's changed?

CN: I'm not quite sure where Iggy's going with the plotline, although she did defer the main plotline to me. Originally, in the first SB, we were going to keep the main threads of storyline together . . . but change how events happened, as the main characters are different from the originals.

After this, Iggy responded to my message saying,

Iggy: I was browsing through the Storybook Archives a few months ago and stumbled across the original [Potterbook]. Being a big lover of Harry Potter, I begged Celt to resurrect it and she said she would talk to her co-mod, @ScarlettFire. . . .[S]he handed the rights over to me and told me I could restart it.

S: How do you plan to successfully resurrect it?

I: I don't really have a gameplan. I just know that many people on the site are Potterheads.

S: That's true; the last PB was highly popular. What are some things that will probably differ from the original?

I: Probably Alice, the main character. I'm betting Celt and I have different writing styles xD But other than that, the basics like characters and classes and such. Hopefully won't differ too much from the original, though.

S: So this gives a chance for Potterheads who missed out on the first one to re-experience it?

I: It sure does! We are, unfortunately, closed at the moment, but if you can send me a reaaally convincing PM...

Cookiebook

Once we both said our thanks and goodbyes, I headed over to @Lumi’s lair to get the scoop on Cookiebook II: Electric Boogaloo . Apparently, the original Cookiebook was

. . . [M]ajestic and random.

Hmm. I agree 100% that it holds a certain randomness to it, but you’ll have to find that out for yourself via the link above! Lumi even instructs us in the title to be ridiculous. So, meanwhile on a small planet made of cheese somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse...

Lumi: I should write out a snooty, proper history of Cookiebook. Like the kind you would read in a history textbook. But that would be boring. Here, have this instead:

Cookiebook will always boil down to

1.) Lumi is bored,
2.) @chibibo is bored, and
3.) Bolt (@SuperNintendo, I guess) is bored. . . .

The rest is all "write the first things that come to mind" and everyone just rolls with it. This particular run, we've decided that every page has to have an Alternate Universe where everyone dies in a dramatic ending.

S: What are some differences this time around?

L: Yeah, the main difference is that this one has a II: Electric Boogaloo added to the title. That's it; that's all there is. Maybe there'll be more reference humor. That's a thing with sequels.

The Storybookers Say…

Once I gathered up this information about revived Storybooks, I talked with a few YWSers prone to lurking in the SB tab. They discussed with me their personal opinions on SBs that have been brought back.

@Craz insightfully said, “Well, most of the storybooks that are resurrected are because of someone that was in the original one. As for why they don't just make a new one, why fix a plot line that isn't broken?”

“. . . the SBs that get brought back usually are the ones that had an amazing core- a really good skeleton of a plot and just the right mix of writers,” @Shadowlight explained. “And the reason people bring those back instead of starting new ones is that they feel it will get off the ground given the chance. . . . Most of the time it takes a couple goes before you get the SB streamlined enough people see the potential.

“And then you will have a well edited, really good SB,” she finished. “I find a lot of times the restarted stories are actually better. . . .”

It seems as if these Storybooks back from the dead all carry strong dynamics to them, like The Forest Labyrinth by @ladcat13 (and help from @Messenger). Tales like “Forest Labyrinth” were well-loved in their heyday, sharing solid plots and character connections with Storybookers in the community. I suppose we should all be thanking their creators for giving them another chance to spread awesomeness around the site.

With this being said, don’t be afraid to buy a creepy laboratory in order to resurrect your favorite SB. We appreciate your dedication, so as always: Write on!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
by KnightTeen < PM: >

The Green Room hasn't been getting as much activity lately as it used to.
Which in a way is understandable, it's almost the end of the school year, and a lot of us have finals and stuff to deal with.
And that's fine.
Normal even.

But while yes, we are all busy right now, the Green Room has been neglected so much of late that we have had more HVA's this year than I can count. And it's already April. I posted a work over a week ago, and it's still sitting in the GR waiting for a review.

You really don't need to devote that much time. It only takes about ten minutes to right a good review.

But I have said all this before and you guys are probably tired of hearing it, so I'm going to shut up about it now.

I hope to start reviewing more now that I only have about two more weeks of school. But then of course I have to plant the garden and take care of the animals and go to camp and apply for college......well, it looks like I'm going to be busy. But I'll still find some time to review.

Black Eyes Chapter 8: Prison Break is currently the oldest work in the Green Room with absolutely no reivews. It was posted two weeks ago by one of our newer members, @AdjiFlex.

He has been fairly active during his short time here (hey oldies, remember when we were only a month old? I was still HomeschooledTeen back then.) and his work is pretty impressive. It does have a rating of 16+, so if you think that you won't like what's in it, please don't read it.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:23 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

MOD MOMENT: DEANIE

You know her. I know her. Everyone knows her. Maybe you've seen her wonderful novel based off an old Christmas song, The Twleve Days Before Christmas ; maybe you've seen her newest novel and entry for The Last Man Standing contest , Eyes Wide Shut ; or maybe you've just received an amazing review written by her. Either way, @Deanie is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and our latest Mod Moment for the awesome dedication she puts into YWS and her sweet personality. If you aren't her friend, then you should be.

Squills: Deanie! Think fast: can you remember the exact date you became a Junior Moderator? Bonus question: can you remember who else is from your mod generation?

Deanie: Hmmm I don't remember the days but it was sometime in June. It was me, you (Iggy), @ariaadams, and @Carina from what I remember. I think @barefootrunner too. Oh and @Noelle joined the same crew as me! But that's really all I remember.... how did I do?

S: You forgot @niteowl! ;) So 6/7. Not too bad! Moving along; what's the hardest thing about being a mod?

D: Oh yes, I did :P

The hardest thing about being a mod is... trying to talk to people about their own behavior on the site or things that people can take offensively, when they don't understand why it could be seen that way themselves. Although most understand, sometimes it's a pretty difficult situation when the person doesn't get it themselves. It can take some time, but most get round to it pretty easily ;)

S: Well then, what's the easiest thing about being a mod?

D: Easiest thing would be editing titles from all caps, but that sounds boring, so I'm going to say the most fun thing too.

Which is definitely helping people out. It's so nice to meet someone new on YWS that way who you might not of talked to. You help them with whatever they needed, and sometimes afterwards you can spike up a nice conversation. And then it just blossoms from there :D It's also one of the things I like the most about YWS: the people that use it ^^

S: What crew are you on and what exactly do you do as a mod for this crew?

D: I'm on the Gen Lit crew, so basically we focus a lot on short stories and novels. I review - a lot. Especially novels which I try to follow all the way through because then the writer can get plot feedback as well. We also run workshops (I have yet to try one of those) and really come to life around NanoWrimo time. Anything to do with novelling we should have covered: characters, plots and endurance.

S: In regards to YWS, where do you see yourself in five years?

D: Hopefully still here.... wow five years long time xD Hopefully still reviewing and writing as well, I don't know :3 Depends how life goes.

S: Thank you so much for your time!

D: No problem ;)

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

Give a warm hello to my guest this week, the marvelous, @tkpejb. You were amazing at answering my questions straight away and I’m excited to see what you’re very own Something New, Something Familiar and Something Loved are! :D

Here we go!

Something New:

Cut by Patricia McCormick

A tingle arced across my scalp. The floor tipped up at me and my body spiraled away. Then I was on the ceiling looking down, waiting to see what would happen next.

tkpejb: I would have to recommend the book Cut by Patricia McCormick. It is a short book, a quick read but it's very emotional. If people know somebody that struggles with an eating disorder or self harm and don't understand why, they should read this book because I felt like it brought a whole new understanding to it.

Something Familiar:

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

A hidden truth. 
Mortal enemies. 
Doomed love.

T: I would recommend Firelight by Sophie Jordan. It's an awesome book about part human/dragon beings. It's just a cool book.

Something Loved:

The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale

A magical retelling of the Grimm’s fairytale...

T: It's so hard to pick just one book as my favorite so I will have to pick a series. The Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale is a fantastic series! There is magic, romance, and kings & queens. It's just beautifully written and has perfect detail. I sometimes still wish I could get the magical abilities that the characters in the book have.

Thanks so much, tkpejb! I’ve actually never heard of any of these books so you’ve definitely given me an education.

Can’t wait to add them to my book list! :D

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Reviews are the heart and soul of YWS. We post our works to get reviews. We give reviews to get points to post more works to get more reviews. Still, it’s always nerve-wracking to show your story or poem to potential reviewers, after the work you’ve put into it. What if it’s still not good enough? What if they hate it?

If you’re lucky, though, you’ll get several long, juicy reviews that give you a good starting point for further revision without crushing your spirit. But how do you go about using the feedback you get? Here are three important things to keep in mind when reading reviews.

You can’t please everyone. Sometimes—particularly if you receive a lot of reviews on a piece—it can be overwhelming to see how many different opinions people have to offer. Even worse, a lot of those opinions might contradict each other. Off the top of my head, I can think of three things in The Book Man that reviewers are torn about: my use of parentheticals, the way I title my chapters as “pages” instead of chapters, and my opening. Some people love these things, some people think I should change them, and some people don’t have an opinion one way or another.

What’s a writer to do when faced with such opposing views? I can’t both keep my parentheticals and delete them. And that’s why my first piece of advice when dealing with reviews is to remember that it’s impossible to make everyone completely happy with your piece. You might get it to the point where most people think it’s brilliant and in no need of further revision, but there will always be someone who thinks something’s wrong with it.

That’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up trying to change every single thing every single reviewer suggests changing.

Now, that being said...

You should give all suggestions consideration. While in the end some of your reviewers will be left dissatisfied with the changes you’ve made or haven’t made, when you first read the reviews you should give consideration to every suggestion they contain. You won’t agree with all of them, of course, but the reviewers took time out of their day to read your work and leave you suggestions for improvement. The least you can do is read their reviews with an open mind.

However, you’ll want to give some suggestions more consideration than others. In general, the suggestions that should get the most consideration are ones that

1. have been made by multiple people, which means it’s likely that the improvement is really needed and not just someone’s personal preference.
2. confirm something you’re uncertain of, like an iffy piece of dialogue that you wanted a second opinion on.
3. are made by someone who otherwise thinks your piece is brilliant. If someone seems to almost blindly love your piece, to the point where you thought they’d never say anything bad about it, that person is good to listen to when they point out something that needs improvement.

Ultimately, it’s your decision. At the end of the day, it’s your short story, poem, song, or novel. Keeping in mind that you can’t please everyone, know that there is one person you can make happy: you.

Don’t be arrogant—don’t refuse to change something that everyone agrees doesn’t work just because “it’s my story.” That kind of attitude can ruin your chances of finding an agent or editor. But know that you can seek further opinions from a variety of people, you can change weak aspects of your story however you want, and you can decide what’s best for you, your story, and your characters.

Writing should be fun. So take the time to read the reviews, thank your reviewers, and then forge ahead with your improved work-in-progress.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME'S RANT OF MEDIA

Written by Kanome < PM: >

Hello. Kanome here. I am sorry for not posting my articles recently due to my schedule, but now I am back with a new media review for you, the members of YWS.

Okay! I have recently started playing this game on my Playstation 3, and this game made me rage to the point that I am not going to play it for a while. This game is mainly rpg, meaning you can create your own character, choose a class, and make your own adventure on the game. I am talking about Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is a really complicated yet addicting game to play. You must know what you’re doing when you play a game like this. It is complicated because it was made from Japan, and you know how Japan makes their video games complicated yet interesting.

Honestly, I like it. The game rage makes it better because it makes me want to do better in the game, and it also makes me want to beat the game all the way through.

Even though I just started playing this game, it has already got me hooked.

If you enjoy these kinds of games, I would recommend giving this one a shot.

If you have any questions referring to this game, please PM me.
Thank you!

P.S – If you want to see others play this game before you purchase it at your local game store, watch these below below.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYH8WvNV1YEmenXqX50aYo6HNf2riA4rC

Also! Let me know what media you want me to review next. It could be a movie, a TV show, videogames, novels, anything media-related. PM me to let me know what you would like me to review for you.

Kanome out!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
by KnightTeen < PM: >

I am proud to announce that we have reached 29,552 users!
You know me, I'm a snoop! I have to know everything about every new member on the site. (Don't hate me, it's all part of the job!)

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site!

@puppys3117 has been pretty active since joining, posting her Life As A Criminal novel while reviewing as much as possible. Since joining us, she has written a solid eighteen reviews, which we all have to admit is impressive for someone of her age. (YWS age, not actual age)

This user brings me back to my early days. @Em101cats has earned two gold stars and completed 44 reviews in a little over a week. (I'm sure all you good users remember doing this at one time or another!)
Of course, what should you do with all those points other than spend them? This users portfolio is full to bursting, and deserves to be looked at! (Which I am going to do right now!)

Others who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are....

@Sudi@skylarjade23@chaninalexis14@katrina55@student101@lolol@Georgia634@quietfox@shishkabobninja@ladyoftheeighties • @jizzlackson • @RachaelWinter@Graphix@BrettStewart@Olivia45@historylover1@LunaClipse@shikidixi@dogsrule5@moneybagswayne@hashtagkatlyn@CrackMonkey@slindner@Braixen • @Sunset101 • @melodicFrisson@fallenmoonmist@Lada@allieeee34@asyadav412@imkat@LukeLobo07@Awsomesauseness@muica89108@sabrina738@alexis911@TravisJohnson04@Gordy@tacetarmis@Maryboo1018@AryanaJade@ArcticFox@Weymouth@arizonachameleon@TheNewBeat@Dante@js261oc@holla98@AverageIndian@EsionPower@roubian@TheFlamingonator@LostInMyBedroom • @TiggaBiscuit • @darkskins@Ellegreeneyes@simondude121@MalbornMelbourne@darlingbeatrice@SirIotaShocks@Trina@Pippie@awool015@ronald111 • @ronald11@bmw1996@isabeldiv@ninjawaffles@Awriter@hdub188@Waitforit@amat@Matsukaze@anvall@MovieMaster2011@CommonPlace@Springs@Oriana@NateAdamFreake@DarkSoul@blueboximpalalock10@tatethegreat@Diaphanousrainbow@IAmMe@katiecwoo@megacations@ConfusedGlasses@texasroyalty2016@QuillFlame22995@clarandtoby@deathcat787@TheCatchphrase

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 4/13
written by megsug < PM: >

@mephistophelesangel had a great idea! She created a thread where all of you can share quotes from your own works! I enjoy @NightWolf’s quote:

"It's not stealing, it's taking advantage of people's ignorance."
Daniel Karnis from The Dark Thief on the art of stealing.

There are a lot of deep quotes here. Show us yours!

Since this month is NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month, for those of you behind the times) Audy wants to know how you find inspiration, motiviation, and other such poetry things. @Deanie has a great one:

But really, as fun as it is to write what comes to mind, try experimenting with forms. It's such a challenge - so much thought and effort has to go in it. And when the whole poem fits together: now that's a lovely moment

As restricting as forms seem, I know exactly where Deanie is coming from. Different poetry forms can be fun! What’s your poetry tip? Or, if you need one, check here!

@Adnamarine wants to discuss a bunch of questions:

Why do schools teach poetry and should they?
Is poetry an important enough contribution in society to be taught?
Can poetry change the world or benefit society in any way?
Should it deserve it’s own subject, like electives: music, art, creative writing/poetry?
Should it be taken out of the English/Language Arts curriculum overall?
What has your experience been with poetry and school?
How would you like poetry to be taught, if at all?

Almost everyone thinks poetry should be taught in schools except one who thinks that teachers can’t teach it, so it shouldn’t be taught. What do you think?

So, you know, maybe you should check it out. @Iggy, the boss of the bosses, has a list of things you might be able to put on a resume:

Possible categories to mark down are:
General editor to online newsletter for a website of 28k members*
General reporter to online newsletter for a website of 28k members
Interview skills
Able to analyze, organize, and present data/information
Experienced with writing articles
Experience with working on a team
Meeting deadlines

Squills will be needing people soon, and that person could be you!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Go Resources!

Resources has been lagging lately and the Resources Crew is desperate! @rosey%20unicorn, @Tenyo, @Isha, and @sparktoflame are thirsty for things to do, so go take a look around the Resouces forum and its subforums and postpostPOST!

Noelle wants to review for YOU!

General Literary mod @Noelle is in need of her fifth blue star! So she has started a Will Review For Food thread, found here! Drop her a line and request a review today!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.
Last edited by SquillsBot on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Baal • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21 • @ZLYF • @FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @ravenmoonstone

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala