z

Young Writers Society

Squills 3/23-3/30/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Resources Reporter
Tenyo

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Clarity

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Aadygirl

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

General Reporters
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
BloodinkSeesFootage
NightWolf
Lucrezia

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:38 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

STOP! IT’S NAPO TIME
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Poets, start your engines! (Vroom, vroom.) On your mark, get set…don’t go yet because it’s not April.

That’s right, folks, March is on its way out, which means it’s almost time for National Poetry Writing Month, or NaPoWriMo.

NaPoWriMo was created in 2003 by poet Maureen Thorson and modeled after November’s National Novel Writing Month. (More on that later this year.) But instead of writing a certain number of words, NaPo’s tagline is “30 poems in 30 days.” Basically, a poem each day for the entire month of April.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that you have to write one poem every single day. Maybe one day you’re feeling so inspired that you write three, and the next you’re so busy you can’t even write one. As long as you have 30 poems by 11:59:59 on April 30, you’re a winner.

What does YWS do for NaPoWriMo? Well, there’s the NaPoWriMo forum. NaPo participants create threads for their poetry, to track their progress through the month and read the new poems of other participants.

There’s also the Poetry Club, where you can go for support, advice, encouragement, and feedback, or just to connect with other poets around the site. On top of that, @Audy and the Poetry Crew have some plans in the works for the month of April. Be sure to check out the Lounge and Poetry forums once April hits so you can keep up with what’s going on.

As for advice on getting through the month, @Meshugenah has this to offer:

This is the NaNo of poetry, so don't edit, just write! We don't care if it's terrible, your sonnet breaks form, or that you've misused, abused, and overused enjambment just because you can - as long as you wrote it, it's all good! Write odes to your homework, your dog, you lunch. How much you hate how shrill the ringer on the phone is, yet you've never changed it.

If you need inspiration for what to do for further poems, start with this list:

1. Magnet poetry. If you don’t have magnets to do this with, you can write random words on strips of paper, cut them up, and mix them together. Or you can use a magnetic poetry site, which you can find some links to at the bottom of this article.

2. Similar to magnet poetry, there’s a kit called “Haikubes.” It’s a box of dice, each with words written on each side instead of numbers. Just roll the dice until you end up with a haiku you like. (I got a set for Christmas but haven’t tried it out yet. Saving it for April!)

3. Experiment with different forms. Haiku, sonnets (English, Italian, and Spenserian), free verse, couplets, limericks—the possibilities are endless.

4. As Meshugenah said: write poetry about anything. Maybe you only like to write “serious” poetry, but for the purposes of NaPo, try out humorous poems, song lyrics, poems about nature, awkward poems about sex…anything you can think of.

Basically, just get out there and have fun. Full speed ahead. Poems ho!

Links for NaPoWriMo

NaPoWriMo Official Website

YWS Poetry Links
YWS NaPoWriMo Forum
YWS Poetry Club

Magnetic Poetry Sites
Magnetic Poetry: Play Online
Shadow Poetry

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

DISNEY’S LATEST PRINCESS: LUCREZIA
written by BloodinkSeesFootage < PM: >

One of the latest works on YWS which received over 35 likes: The Evolution of Disney Princesses by @Lucrezia details one of the greatest creative phenomena, the creations of Walt Disney. I caught up with the lady between the work to see what lead her to write such a

Squills: Your work and your avatar are linked, what inspired the love of Disney?

Lucrezia: I grew up on Disney movies like most kids. I actually always hated the Disney princesses when I was little though, and only discovered how awesome they are as a teenager, after babysitting Disney princess-obsessed little girls. Plus, my aunt works for Disney. It’s just the environment I’ve been raised in.

S: Do you think it's important to write about what you're passionate about. And why?

L: I definitely think writing about topics you’re passionate about is important, because it’ll motivate you to write and keep writing them, and write them well.

S: Your work quickly acquired more than 30 likes, what do you think made it so popular?

L: Honestly, I have no idea. I wasn’t even going to post it, I thought it was so bad. I guess I would sum up its popularity to a love of Disney, especially the princesses, and an interest in seeing how they’ve gradually become more feminist and awesome throughout the years.
[right]S: Your work is presented in a very factual 'essay' way about a fictional topic. Do you think non - fiction has just as many merits as fiction. Why/why not?

[b]L:
I think fiction and non-fiction are both just as great and important as one another, and also similar despite their differences. It's easy to find some fictional elements in non-fictional topics, if you look for it, and vice versa. Disney princesses are not real, but the people they're modelled after, the people that give them their voices and design them, are. Writing about that was interesting, because I'm talking about princesses that don't exist, and yet their personalities are very real because of the people behind their personalities.

So there we have it. The magic of Disney is still very much in the air, and not just for kids.
Don’t forget to keep writing and follow your passions, because as is seen here: it definitely pays off.
~BSF

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

RESOURCES RELAY
written by Tenyo < PM: >

This week in Resources

This week the technicalities seem to be trending; switching perspectives from first to third to male to female, weeding out old habits, bad habits, and really, really funny habits. So let’s get started!

Question:
This sentence covers a small part of the page, white and neat as it is, but something about it isn’t quite right. Can you see it?

Check out the Fortune Cookie Wisdom at the bottom of this article for the answer.

What an as!

Sentence structure is such an annoying thing, isn’t it? Whether English is your first, second, fifth or twenty seventh language, it doesn’t get any easier.

For some, it’s the ‘he-said-she-said’ complex. For others it’s using a dozen commas per sentence.

For @Zontafer it seems to be the overuse of ‘as.’ ‘He lay down, as he took a breath, and as he looked up he saw the sun, as it was setting.

Whatever the outcome, it’s all the same. We get ourselves stuck in a rut and sometimes it takes a good kick and a lot of scrambling to get us out of it.

Here’s the thread to see some of @Rosey%20Unicorn ’s awesome advice on how to get out of it, and add any of your own.

When first falls into third

I grew up reading autobiographies more than anything else. In fact I’d say about 95% of all my childhood literature was written in first person. Perspective fascinated me, and yes, maybe it’s a little odd. How many seven year olds do you know would rather sit in on a summers day devouring the pages of someone else’s life rather than living their own?

Because through those pages I was living. I lived a hundred lifetimes in different countries and different time frames, seeing into the minds of children and grown ups, men, women, in their proudest and their most vulnerable moments.

So naturally when I picked up The Black Magician Trilogy I was captivated by the writing style, but the third person perspective drove me crazy. How can I see inside her mind when we’re talking about her like she isn’t even here? And how can you say what she’s thinking when she hasn’t actually said it yet? That’s just ridiculous.

It was really, really hard for me to overcome, and I know other people who would say the same about reading first person books after burying their heads in third.

They’re the same story, right? So why is it so hard?

This predicament tends to carry over into writing, too. Some people feel uncomfortable writing ‘I’ as if they’re the ones moving within the story, and others can’t get into the flow of writing if they’re doing it from outside the body of their character.

@Bookwormgal16 is in that predicament right now, and it’s one that most of us will face at some point or another. They’re such tiny words and as readers we tend to skip straight over them. As a writer though, the switch from ‘they’ to ‘we’ can be like doing Rainbow Road on reverse mode. You spend years working on it until you get it just right and all of a sudden everything is the opposite way round. Mirrors show you the back of your head, doors swing the other way, and every time you reach out with your left hand your right pokes you in the eye.

If you’ve had any experience or tips to share on switching perspectives then click here and have your say.

Grin and bare it

Last week I spoke about how awkward phone conversations can be, what to do when you’re on the phone and how it can be just has hard to think of what your characters should be doing.

@lakegirls has posted another great thread regarding a similar issue- this time about a character who seems to grin all the time, making her look overly happy or slightly psychotic.

It’s natural that when we become self aware we feel like we need to be doing something, and it’s the same with characters. The more aware we are of the fact that they’re just standing there, the more we feel the need to puppet them around or describe their reactions.

My best advice is to take the focus from the character and turn it to what the character is thinking or seeing- to the environment or their internal thoughts. @Lucrezia has included a list of possible alternatives with a useful thesaurus link, and @AriaAdams has an interesting trick involving… potatoes?

I’d recommend taking a look at the thread and adding your piece if this is something you’ve ever struggled with. I also kind of like the peculiar title: She Grinned Is Dead .

Fortune Cookie Wisdom

“This sentence covers a small part of the page, white and neat as it is, but something about it isn’t quite right. Can you see it?”

The answer is no, you can’t.

This is what is called a dangling modifier. I find it really interesting that to some, these can be glaringly obvious and somewhat hilarious, but to others it’s not even noticeable, and makes perfect sense. What if I change it to this;

“The sentence, white and neat as it is, covers a small part of the page.”

Because ‘Sentence’ is the subject, then the words ‘white and neat’ describe ‘sentence’ rather than ‘page’, so essentially you wouldn’t be able to see it.

You can find out more detail in @RachaelElg ’s thread on Dangling Modifiers

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:41 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

LIBRARY LOVES
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

I know a lot of you are just like me. We are obsessed with books! I love it when people give me new ideas about what to read next. I'm not very good at straying from my usual area of the bookshop, but hopefully you can give me a polite shove in the right direction!

This week: It's my turn to shove you :)

Something New:

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you're going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.

Something I will be adding to my book list straight away will be this Costa Book of the Year award winner for 2013! The debut novel The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer looks like a fantastic read that deals with grief and mental illness. It looks brave, fresh and it feels exciting to have a new voice in literature!

Something Familiar:

Half Bad by Sally Green

In modern-day England, witches live alongside humans: White witches, who are good; Black witches, who are evil; and fifteen-year-old Nathan, who is both. Nathan’s father is the world’s most powerful and cruel Black witch, and his mother is dead. He is hunted from all sides!

Now, I’m a sucker for a magical adventure and this caught my eye instantly. I mean, the website says, “in the style of Patrick Ness and Markus Zusak”. HELLO!? What more do I need in a book?

Something Loved:

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

When Eragon finds a polished stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself.Overnight his simple life is shattered and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic and power.

I could read this book over and over again. I love the relationships, I love the adventure and I love the magic. I particularly can’t get enough of the way Paolini unpredictably kills off who ever he fancies! You never know what mysteries are coming next…

Next week! It’s your turn to give me YOUR recommendations! I want your Something New, Something Familiar and your Something Loved.

I’ll be coming for you!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A MOMENT WITH A POET

written by Lucrezia < PM: >

Well, it’s that time again! Time for an interview with WOTW (or Writer of the Week)!

This WOTW was chosen based off her poetry, which is, if I do say so myself, pretty darn amazing. It’s the fabulous @RachelLeeAnn! Our first-ever WOTW poet.

The extraordinarily-talented writer was polite enough to grace us with an interview. Here’s what she had to say about the experience.

Squills: Hey there! Not sure if you've heard yet, but you're Writer of the Week! I'd love to interview you for Squills, if that'd be okay.

RachelLeeAnn: I'd love to answer your questions. 

S: Awesome! So, firstly, how did you feel when you first found out you were Writer of the Week?

RLA: I was really surprised! I really didn't know what to say, other than thank you. I've never really been selected for something like this, so it made my day.

S: Glad to hear it! :D How long have you been writing? And what made you start?

RLA: This past December, I was going through a really rough time in my life. With the issues I was having and the stuff that I was going through, I started having problems sleeping at night. I would lie awake for hours just staring at the ceiling. One night, I was sick of it. I knew English was my favorite subject and that I loved to read. So, I grabbed my laptop and just started typing away my thoughts and feelings. From that, I wrote my first poem "The Loudest Kind of Silence," and just realized that I really loved the release I get from writing.

S: Yeah, writing can definitely be therapeutic. Are there any published writers that inspired you, or you have a particular fondness for?

RLA: Yeah, definitely.
I love a lot of Emily Dickinson's poetry. And Robert Frost.
Novel-wise, I really like David Platt.

S: All great writers.  Lastly, are there any words of wisdom/advice you'd like to give to fellow writers out there?

RLA: I just want to stress that while yes, big, elaborate prose and fancy illustrations can lead to beautiful works of art, it isn't always necessary. It's nice for run-of-the-mill works, but the pieces that stand out to me are the ones that are stripped down to just the feelings behind the words. When you write about something close and personal, that's all you need. Raw emotion is enough to create a masterpiece.

S: Good advice. Thanks so much for your time! I really appreciate it. And enjoy being Writer of the Week! 

RLA: Thanks! :)

If you’re curious to take a look at RachelLeeAnn’s works, you can check out her portfolio , or read the poem she mentioned, The Loudest Kind of Silence And trust me, they’re definitely worth reading! ;)

So, that’s all for now. Keep an eye out for the next Writer of the Week—and remember, it could be you!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:44 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Last week I introduced you to the revision process and its three steps. This week, we’re going to take a closer look at step one: rewriting.

In my opinion, rewriting is the hardest part of the revision process. This is the stage where you have to “kill your darlings”—cut things that don’t work and replace them with things that make more sense. Emotionally, it’s not tops.

“I loved that scene,” you proclaim tearfully as you hit “delete” and watch your darling vanish into the void of your computer.

(For the record, you should always open a new document to rewrite. Keep the original draft in its own file, as-is, so that you still have those darlings available if you ever need them again, whether to use them in other stories where they work better or to look back on them fondly as great pieces of writing.)

You loved that scene? Too bad. Your main character’s bond with her pet monkey doesn’t work in the new draft. Get rid of it.

Of course, that’s if you can even see what doesn’t work. As the writer, you’re often too close to your own story or poem to figure out which parts don’t fit. So, rather than turning to revision immediately upon finishing a draft, take a break for a while. Catch up on your favorite television series, go out with friends, or read a book. Get some distance from your work so that you can look at it more objectively, and then return to it and look for these three things.

Weak or unclear character motivation. This is a biggie, and also one of my biggest weaknesses. My antagonists, in particular, tend to lack real motivation. Instead, they want to take over the world because, well, I need someone who wants to take over the world. They’re evil because I need someone for my protagonist to face.

“But wanting to take over the world is a motivation,” you protest. Sure, I’ll grant you that. But it’s a weak one. Your villain might want to take over the world, but why? Your protagonist might want to stop the villain, but what’s in it for him? That’s not to say that your protagonist must be selfish, but if your protagonist has no reason for wanting to see the antagonist stopped, why should he join the fight?

“Because the villain is evil,” you say. Okay, but let me give you a real world example of why this doesn’t work.

World War II. One of the closest things we’ve got in real-world history to an epic war against a Lord of Darkness, the Lord of Darkness, in this case, being Adolf Hitler. While no one can argue that his actions were anything but evil (regardless of his personality or motivations), the United States didn’t join in the fight against Germany and its allies until 1941. (Keep in mind that there were concentration and labor camps going from the formation of the Third Reich, around 1933.)

Why? What was happening to European Jews, Romani, homosexuals, and the disabled was definitely evil, but the U.S. didn’t try to stop it until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. That is—until we had a personal reason for wanting to defeat the Axis Powers. This is the sort of thing you have to take into account when figuring out character motivations.

Plot holes. Many plot holes can be fixed simply be figuring out your characters’ motivations, which is why that point went first on my list. However, even when your characters have strong, clear motivations, you may still find plot holes in your piece. These usually take form in scenes that start going in a certain direction that never pans out into a real plot point.

Maybe you were planning to have your main character find out that a secondary character was his long lost brother, but you either forgot that you meant to do that or decided that it wouldn’t work after all. Now you’ve got a scene early in the book that hints at the secondary character’s identity, which is never brought up again. This plot hole has nothing to do with character motivation, but it’s present early on and nowhere else. In that case, you have a decision to make. Do you still want this character to be the MC’s brother, or not?

This decision should be based partly on your own feelings but also on whether or not a long-lost brother works with the rest of your story. Would it make a good subplot? Would it add to the main plot? Would it just be a distraction from the rest of the story? Decide whether to run with it or not. Then either rewrite the early scene so the secondary character’s identity is not mentioned, or rewrite the rest of the book to hint at it more strongly until the big reveal: surprise! The MC has a brother.

Poor character/relationship development. The main thing you want to look for with character development is that, while your characters can act unpredictably, they have to do it within the parameters you’ve set up for them.

A perfect example is when Molly Weasley swears at Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We’ve never seen Molly swear before, and it does come as something of a shock—but a shock that makes us go, “YEAH, MOLLY” rather than “What? Molly would never swear.” Because although Molly has never sworn, we know she cares deeply about her children, that she is a mother first and foremost, and that if you mess with her children you are in for a world of hurt. Thus, her use of a cussword is surprising but not out-of-character in the situation.

In The Book Man, I avoided writing my climax for a very long time because of an issue with consistent characterization. My MC, Christian Abernathy, had to stab someone. The closer I got to the climax, the more I procrastinated. I rewrote scenes that had been revisited a dozen times, added bits of dialogue here and there, and even added to the parts of the story leading up to the climax, just to avoid writing the climax itself.

Then I realized that my issue with the impending climax was one of characterization. Christian would never stab someone, and that’s exactly what was bothering me. I figured out what I could do instead so that the story would be resolved without Christian acting horribly out-of-character, and from that point on it was full-steam ahead.

Character relationships are a different beast. Since relationship development depends on the personalities of more than one character, it isn’t as concerned with consistency as it is with believability. Your characters can get in fights, make up, fall in love, or forgive each other anything, as long as it works with the personality of each character involved.

An example of poor relationship development comes from the new movie “Mr. Peabody and Sherman.” I won’t spoil the plot for you, but my problem with this film is that Sherman quickly develops a crush on a girl named Penny despite the fact that she was unspeakably cruel to him when he first met her. This isn’t to say that the “people who hate each other later fall in love” trope can’t work, but in this movie it was poorly done. I enjoyed the puns and the history jokes, but I can’t get past the poor relationship development.

Contrast this to the relationship development in “The Proposal,” where the main characters stop hating each other and then fall in love as they open up and learn more about each other. Relationship development there is much more believable. It may not ruin your plot to have inconsistent character development or too-quick relationship-building, but it’ll still bug your readers.

Once you’ve got these three things more or less ironed out, it’s time to turn to step two of the revision process: editing. Tune in next week for an editing article from Adventures in Writing.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES
written by Iggy < PM: >

I've been reluctant to gossip about myself in Society Pages, but times have changed. I HAVE NO LIFE. It's Spring Break and all I've done this week is watch seasons one and two of ABC's Once Upon A Time and I'm almost caught up on season three. Unfortunately, my laptop is inaccessible right now and I am literally dying. My life has no meaning anymore. ;_;

Speaking of Spring Break, looks like a few of us are off this week, eh? The only person I know of (and who notified me via status update) is @GreenLight24. For those of you that have more than a week off, I hate you use it wisely. I know I haven't. I have a project for Economics due Tuesday and have done nothing... my awesome OUAT buddy, @Noelle, feels my pain, for she is also drowning in homework. Why do our teachers hate us so? Unlike @ShadowVyper, whose teachers adore her and vise versa. I hope they stop loving you! >:(

Another YWS meetup happened, and can I just say how jealous I am? An admin, global moderator, and former junior moderator, all in one city?! There's no doubting it, @Rydia, @Demeter, and @Twit were plotting to overthrow @Nate and take over YWS. Either that, or they were perhaps "chillaxing"? Hmmm.. you can find out more via Rydia's blog post

YWS members are both returning and leaving! The good news is that former Squills editor @Aquestioning and longtime member @Lucky_Duck have both made a comeback to the site! Here's to hoping they stay. On the flipside, my beloved friend @wonderland has left for an undetermined amount of time. And in the middle: @TriSARAHtops left for a while due to an oversea foreign exchange trip to France! Maybe she'll see @Auxiira?

The flu is spreading across YWS, so grab your breathing masks and avoid @StellaThomas, who is infected! One person who should avoid Stella is @pervadedbydarkness, whose whole family is sick, yet he's gotten lucky... for now.

A merry one-year YWSiversary to @SushiSashimi333! My third YWSiversary is coming up soon. Exciting!

Speaking of firsts, @alexsushidog joined his first Storybook! I remember my first one.. actually, I don't. >_>

Sorry to disappoint, ladies and gentlemen, but @lylas is now officially taken. He liked it so much that he put a ring on it~

@Shadowlight has been accepted to college! Whoo! I get to register for my classes on April 25th. We're growing up so fast. :')

There's excitement all around!
- @lucrezia has finished her novel that is about vampires but isn't about Twilight vampires, sorry. The novel in question is called Vampiric and can be found here
- @megsug had a poetry slam recently. Perhaps she should share some of the poems she read, no? ;)
- @xxxXanthexxx is auditioning for the part of The Mad Hatter in a drama show, entitled Alice Through the Looking Glass, that will show in June. Auditions are this Wednesday, so wish her luck!

And I'm going to wrap this up with one thing: Divergent is now playing in theaters. Who's gonna go see it?! If you do, remember: no spoilers! Or lest I sick Rumplestiltskin on ye... (seriously, if you aren't watching OUAT, then you aren't living.)

Well, that's all for this week. Until next time...

xxx

Lady S

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:45 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

MYTHICAL CORNER

Written by whitewolfpuppy < PM: >

Yggdrasil

Norse mythology revolves around an ever green ash tree of prodigious dimensions, on which the universe is supported, Yggdrasil. The great ash tree held together the three planes that made up the world. On the first layer were the worlds Asgard, Vanaheim and Alfheim. On the second layer were Midgard, Jotunheim, Nidavellir and Svartalfheim. On the third and bottomost layer were Hel (Inferno) and Nifelheim.

Asgard is the world in which the Aesir (gods) live. Vanaheim, the home of the Vanir. Alfheim, the home of the Light Elves. In the middle is Midgard "Middle Earth", the home of the Humans. Midgard is connected to Asgard by Bifrost "The Rainbow Bridge”. Jotunheim, the home of the Giants. Svartalfheim, the home of the Dark Elves. Nidavellir, the home of the Dwarfs. Niflheim is to the north, somewhere in Niflheim under the ground is Helheim home of the dead. Muspelheim is to the south, it is the home of the fire Giants and Demons. Yggdrasil as three roots near the bottom. Among them is a sort of dragon or serpent that gnaws on the roots, his name is Nidhogg.

As all mythology, most are similar to one another. Though the difference in names or the way they see a different in meaning of a symbol. Though they are all connected, some way some how.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
by KnightTeen < PM: >

There are currently 100+ works in the Green Room.100 people!
100!
Heck, I posted something last week that still isn't out. That's a little disappointing.
We are better than this! We know how to review, so let's review! It doesn't take that long! I have ranted and ranted and ranted about this before, so I'm not going to do it again.

Haven't we already had two HVA's this month?
Let's not make it three.
Seriously, it's getting to the point where I am not only waiting for Review Day, but craving it because it means that the Room will be somewhat under control.

Anywho, this week's gallery is featured on.....
The exact same work from last week....
Well....
That's a tad bit unexpected.
Umm....
Go to last GRG and you'll find the description there. No use writing it twice.
All rating warnings apply, see Squills for details.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:48 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
by KnightTeen < PM: >

I am proud to announce that we have reached 29,552 users!
You know me, I'm a snoop! I have to know everything about every new member on the site. (Don't hate me, it's all part of the job!)

I did write this for last week, but I forgot to post it!
Sorry guys!

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site!

@FinnWinterfall has been a member for roughly a week now, and has already filled up his portfolio with poetry and his wall with catchy phrases/cool quotes. (I have no idea what to call them).

Our ages range from 0-99, with a majority being tweens/teens/early twenties. That doesn't stop @ObserverxD from wondering if he is the oldest member here. I have to ask though, what on earth do you mean by old? That can translate into so many things here; age, YWS age, maturity level, etc.
You have to specify if you want a straight answer! :)
And if you are going by YWS age, that makes this 17 year old user older than you.

@BitterRosemary already has fans, who divide their time between welcoming her to the site, pouring over her extensive portfolio which includes folders for lyrics , poetry , and random writing .

Others who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are....

Spoiler! :
@looking4waldo@wordsmakemovements@Wanderingminstrel@vikrantnegi007@MelissaMcJay@wrotewritewriting@Omslagen@Esther@julian94@Spenser@AJ1871@izdiher@spycamera@missanonymity@abhishekmishra@SmilePlease@FourTris@Aris@MaddelynnSky@Ying221@Different134@Bill9001@purplemango@TrudiRose@Citrus17@ssthil@parlephone321@Maximummadness@daneecaparas@inthecorner@joshua3322@Stormcrow@xTWERKx@mynameiskendra@irishpotato1325@Beng213@cinderauhlee@sammeldrum @MartinLuther1483@thetwentyfirstpilot@BronzeFlame@What@quirckyquickfunlove@TravisLazuli@AurelisP@QuietQuilla@EndofAll@KindofTheRavens@simondude31@RobertJonesa@Esme1339@Avengerofice@Donnaknowstheword@Beastosterone@Marco@Girs1972@youngedword@tonytwo@nichole11@olafson11@hlewinskiau@Ishani@paslnyc@dorkiegirl17@betraydbeauty@Azlanama@moo789@CUPCAKES@Lavinatrialgates@prodesign038@Senjiku@Allyn32@xXBRODYXx@edendael11@erica111@rachelrooch@2Wolfs@Jackie735@Rosemary@Tessu@demonblogga94@LunaticParty@kholland7@wordsy@MoHAMANDCHEESE@Betaless@Garry@LeoAlexander17@Hanson@emtastic32@joallover@IamTraunt@donutworry@ChrisoBrien@keithorie@divy11@Pinoyschannel@AnastasiaRae@DymondGold@PatrickManson@LiptonCookie@medievalist@Journal@aledford320@abigaildavenport@anrevival@MargadEsme@kscoli@Livingbetweenstars@vasilievjohn@brianalopez@ginageorge09@Phenreer@megustapastel@tempestuousrain@MiraIsHere@Oliverisorange@scwriter01@emmymoore@dearthefuture@writingplum@cherrycoke@JonasGalindo@mandmgirly@discardedMenace@DanielSidhe98@romanticrealist@hamartia@EruptPhoenix@WriterBre@Beast9945@syetta123@KdoubleA@pranshul@sleeplesswriter09 • @ KittyCat1098 • @twosdai@Lobby69@New@BethK@ashleywhite971@EmeraldLinks@BlackBunny1998@aloisiabarnes@jenchuu@Dreamer532@AnonymousSoul@kabrad38@Seal97@KittyAzy@roshni95@scseaturtle7@ChoChoCruz@priya15032001@BristolElliot@waltonethan10@HiddenShadow22@Jakefantasy@RRodgers88@liesgirl@TexanMorrell@Telson94@sparks1@itstcake@myfictionalfantasy@JaiBabySamaria@Supersimmer@AndrewX28@AsherFritz@JayeCShore@blbixler@guywithgunz@SelenaCraig@margaretpars@MysteriaGoddess@SamOConnell@souryu2093@ComeLittleChildren@Lithor@Jaytao@teenageanxiety@superwholock111@Nokri99@PaigeNight@Maddie2302@demod5@Poetrygirl22@Ancientlava

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:49 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP - 3/23
written by Iggy < PM: >

Hey! I know what you're thinking. "Hey, she isn't @megsug!" Well, duuuuh, I figured as much. Meg's busy, so I took over for the time being. It's only temporary! As far as you know...

1. Hi.

An in-depth quote from @sparktoflame:

Hi.

Such moving words. Go chat with our beloved Sparky in the link given above. A casual conversation in the Lounge is always fun, right? ^^

@dhyan wants to know - does the soul really exist? By opening up a discussion in the Serious Discussion and Debate forum , he's giving people an opportunity to state their opinion and/or contrast others, so if you're interested, pop on over there!

Over in the Ask An Expert forum @subtlesanity is asking for your help: what advice can you give her to help her write from a male's point of view? The topic has gotten a bit of replies, but if you feel you have something useful to add, don't hesitate to head over and post a reply. Even if you are a female, you can still offer some feedback!

@Tenyo is currently working on a novel and needs help! Any romantics out there? The topic starts out like this:

So, I'm working on a novel right now that starts off quite romance-heavy, and I'm not talking my usual passion and flame romance either. This is a cheesy romance involving a pair of fourteen year olds, and a lot of those cutely awkward moments. Then it descends into blood and betrayal and magic and all forms of wonderful sinisteries.

If you can offer any help, please head over and give it!

Calling all poets and/or poetry fans! @Aley is looking for some awesome poems, written by our very own community, to read and review and do whatever it is she'd like to do with them! So if you've seen a good poem around or have no shame with indulging in a shameless plug, then that's the place to go to!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

No plugs for this week!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:52 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Baal • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21 • @ZLYF • @FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon