z

Young Writers Society

Squills 3/2/14-3/9/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Not avaliable

Community Reporter
Sapi

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Clarity

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Quibbles Columnist
Aadygirl

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic
Kanome

General Reporters
ArcticMonkey
Messenger
OliveDreams
whitewolfpuppy
BloodinkSeesFootage
Paracosm
SparkToFlame
NightWolf

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

To prologue or not to prologue? That is the question.

Actually, it’s rarely the question for me—not for long, at least. I’m pretty anti-prologue, so when this is the question, I pull an Edna Mode and move on to the next one.

However, I don’t hate prologues for the sake of hating prologues. I will even read them when I come upon them in published books, if only because I have too much pride in myself as a bookworm to skip the dull parts of a book. The way I see it, there are two reasons for including a prologue in your novel.

1. Prologue as backstory.
2. Prologue as a hook.

I’m going to split Reason 2 into two subspecies in a minute, but let’s look at Reason 1 first.

Prologue as backstory. Sometimes writers use prologues to convey backstory, because including a bunch of backstory right at the beginning of the book, in its own chapter, is a lot easier than weaving it into the story.

I’ll come right out and say it. This type of prologue, to me, is a definite no.

Why, you ask?

There are two kinds of backstory: a) information the reader must know to understand the events of the story and b) surplus information that helps characterization and world-building but isn’t essential to the plot. If your prologue contains the first type and this information is so immediately important that the reader cannot start the story without knowing it, then by all means include it. However, if this is the case, you should consider starting your story earlier so that the backstory becomes part of the main story.

But Blue (you say), I only have one important event that takes place ten years in the past, and the rest of the story is set in the present. I can’t start my story ten years ago only to jump ahead a decade in the next chapter.

Au contraire, my young apprentices. Take a gander at Harry Potter & the Philosopher’s Stone. Chapter one:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

And chapter two:

Nearly ten years had passed since the Dursleys had woken up to find their nephew on the front step, but Privet Drive had hardly changed at all.

A perfect example of how to do one scene of backstory without designating it a prologue. Notice also that this particular first chapter, though it gives us some backstory, keeps us reading by leaving an air of mystery. Why are there so many oddly-dressed people about? What is so special about this boy and his scar? Who exactly are Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall? This opening chapter does what most backstory prologues do not—gives us enough to go on with, without revealing everything.

If the reader needs to know the backstory at some point but not immediately, or if the backstory isn’t essential to the plot, weave it into the story instead. This is more artful. Information-dump prologues are often the sign of an amateur and should be avoided whenever possible.

Prologue as a hook. I’ll get to our subspecies of prologue-as-hook soon, but first let me say this. If you feel your first chapter isn’t gripping enough to hook a reader, you should revise that chapter rather than adding a prologue.

I repeat: If you feel your chapter isn’t gripping enough to hook a reader, you should revise that chapter rather than adding a prologue.

Why? Because readers feel cheated when they find an exciting prologue followed by a dull first chapter. Because editors are more impressed by strong first chapters than strong prologues. Because some readers are so anti-prologue that they’ll skip your action-packed prologue, find the first chapter too boring, and put your book back on the shelf in favor of something else.

Plus, it’s a cop-out. Revision is hard work, but guess what? You’re going to have to do a lot of it. How are you going to revise an entire manuscript if you can’t even revise the opening lines of your first chapter?

The subspecies of Prologue hookis are scenicus and villanius: prologues that use an exciting later scene of the book to drawn readers in (scenicus) and prologues that introduce the antagonist (villanius).

P. hookis scenicus can be found wandering the wilds of television, where it frequents the openings of action-packed series. The show opens with Our Hero hanging from a rooftop by his fingertips. Just as he’s about to fall, the camera cuts to a different scene and the screen flashes “thirty-two hours earlier,” letting us know that we’re about to find out how Our Hero got into this predicament.

This type of prologue, I grant you, often works in television. Why? Two reasons. First of all, it shows characters we already know and love stuck in apparently inescapable situations, and second of all, it’s short. I don’t suggest this kind of prologue for the beginning of a series or a stand-alone book—sure, it could hook readers with action, but plopping us in the middle of action with no explanation can be confusing and we don’t yet care enough about the characters for concern to carry us through the prologue. However, if you do go this route, then follow the example of television and keep it short.

For an example of what not to do, take a look at Leigh Ann’s Civil War by Ann Rinaldi. I could do an entire article on why it’s a terrible book, but I’ll restrict myself to the prologue. At first glance, it seems to work. It’s short, it’s interesting, and it leaves you wondering how Leigh Ann got here. But remember that this type of prologue opens with a scene from later in the book. Ann Rinaldi chose to open with her climax—and used so much of it in the prologue that, when you reach that point later in the book, she has one sentence replace the entire climax. The sentence essentially says, “And then that other thing happened, but I already told you about that.”

Do not do this. It leaves the reader frustrated because she’s been cheated out of a proper climax.

The main problem with our second subspecies, P. hookis villanius, is that it tends to be clichéd in the extreme. Fantasy, in particular, loves this subspecies of prologue. An army of evil creatures drills in the rain while the Villain looks on from his fortress, smiling maniacally to himself and rubbing his hands together in anticipation of Our Hero’s doom.

This sort of prologue has no point, except as a gimmicky hook. We’ll find out later that the Villain has been training his Legions of Darkness when said Legions attack. We rarely learn his motivation in this scene (beyond a general idea, i.e. “revenge”), and if we did it would still have to be mentioned later to clue the other characters in. In my experience, it’s purely a cheap hook in the form of an unnecessary scene. That’s not to say I’ll necessarily put down a book that includes P. hookis villanius, but I’ll roll my eyes throughout the prologue, and the book, purely by virtue of this subspecies, will stubbornly refuse to become a favorite.

(See: Ranger’s Apprentice series.)

My verdict is to avoid prologues, though I know by saying so I may have outraged some people. Even as you read this, committees are springing up, angry letters are being written, and societies for the preservation of prologues are being formed.

But I’m not here to give a final word on prologues—just to give my opinion and a reasoned argument against them. I want to know what your thoughts on prologues are. Is there a case in which you believe they’re necessary? Is there a book that you feel uses prologue well? Follow the link below to take the poll and join the discussion.

Poll: How do you feel about prologues?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:20 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FIVE FAIL-SAFE WAYS TO BECOME A WRITER: A MOMENT WITH POMPADOUR

written by Sapi < pm: >

The comical piece by @Pompadour , Five Fail-safe Ways to become a Writer – The Official Guide , has been on the Literary Spotlight for a few days now. I had a few questions to ask her about this wonderful article.

Squills: Was there a particular reason or inspiration to writing this comical article?

Pompadour: If I'm honest here, I actually don't know. I sat down at midnight before Review Day, and the idea just sprang to mind. I'd been to a book-store the day before, and I remember having a hysterical fit of laughter at some of the titles I saw on the shelves. There was this one guide called: "Hipster: sway them right," and "Twenty twisted ways to kill your boss"; ridiculous stuff like that.

So when I plopped myself down in front of my computer, I thought I'd try my hand at a humourous guide. A guide about writing! Throw in a bucket of nocturnal insanity and you've got it!

S: How do you feel about having written such a popular featured work?

P: I feel ... surreal, I guess. It's this weird elated feeling, except that it's mingled with something much, much deeper. I can't really put my finger on it. When I first saw my work on the spotlight, I nearly rocketed into the roof. I'd posted this piece a week ago, actually, and I'd asked @Messenger to review it for me. It was like this trigger, and then it suddenly became popular. I sure owe him big time!

S: What foods would you recommend for your typical, caffeinated writer?

P: Tea. A bucket before writing, and a bucket right after too. Or maybe you'd like to stick to a cup? Oh, and chocolate. Chocolate is like my life-line. I might be exaggerating here, but chocolate with extra-cocoa just gets you pumped! Or you could go for coffee. I'm pretty sure that if I don't mention that, coffee-addicts like @TimmyJake will be after my blood.

S: You mention an upcoming sequel - “The Guide to all Guides -- what not to believe in a Guide”. Are you planning on writing any more guides after that?

P: I'm actually hesitant when it comes to writing more guides. I don't want to write a sequel based on how popular the first one was because it could be utter rubbish for all I know. If a good idea hits me, I might just do it. I want it to be original, and different. Right now, I have this vague idea brewing at the back of my mind concerning lies and deceit. Who knows? I might assume the character of "Sir William Haiperbowl" and write a guide by him. The guide writes itself. And here I quote: "If you has the hype, you has the hamburger."

Personally, I think one of the reasons this guide was popular was because it was about writing. And that topic is attractive to all aspiring young writers, so yeah.

S: Wonderful! Lastly, if I may ask, what is your opinion on unicorns?

P: Sadly, I must inform the world that they have been misinformed concerning the existence of unicorns. They're actually giant puppies with horns taped to their foreheads and painted bright pink. I mean, come on people! Unicorns?

Hmm, that's actually a pretty good idea. I can see it now: "Three Steps to Building Your Own Unicorn, a DIY Guide." You'd need spray-paint, golf balls and bubblegum...

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:21 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE VALENTINE'S DAY GIVEAWAY RESULTS
written by Iggy< PM: >

First and foremost is an apology! These results are way beyond delayed. The beloved @SparkToFlame has a lot of personal things going on, and so she had to retire from YWS. I meant to get these in earlier, but was away at a camp for a week, and-

Hold up, this isn't Society Pages! Excuse me for rambling on. I will make this short and simple.

The winner of the Valentine's Day Giveaway Contest is none other than one of our beloved Squillians - @OliveDreams!

Congratulations, Olive! You should be receiving the 5000 points via SquillsBot within the hour.

Thanks to all of you who participated! I look forward to seeing all of you in the next contest and, most importantly, reading Squills and liking it regardless of points! <3

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

​SOCIETY PAGES
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

This, however, is Society Pages. ;) @Demeter was quite excited to share news of the new Cinderella movie with @StellaThomas, and decided they'd wear glass slippers on Wednesdays. Speaking of adornments, @Snoink wants to know if you prefer pigs or religious items as decorations in your house. Go weigh in on her poll !

On an entirely unrelated note, @Auxiira woke up a full hour before she had to yesterday, and couldn't fall back asleep :( Poor Xiira! Maybe it wasn't so unrelated... Does she have pig in her room, I wonder? Speaking of wondering, I wonder if @Blues was able to get the suggested bananas to go with the peanut butter and honey pancakes he was bragging about. Just the thought of that makes me hungry!

For those who are hungry for an adventure more than food (yeah right), @AriaAdams just launched a Storybook, The Silver Wind Hotel . ​Ri's Storybooks are always interesting, but if you're looking for something a little different, you might want to know that @Shadowlight is planning "an uber amazing fantastical nautical SB", and wants to know who's interested.

Meanwhile, lots of literary excitement have been flying around. @Aquestioning has posted the prologue to his new story,The Last Bridge , and @567ajt just got his work featured! @AnnieBauthor wonders if anyone else has "noticed that in fairytales, all the single kings seek a wife, and the single queens are evil?" I couldn't agree more with her that these stereotypes need to be done away with.

@LemisaLeaZeor greeted March with a status update "Pinch, punch, first day of the month" while @RavenMoonStone forgot all about it, and had the awkward moment of being corrected on the date. Silly Raven, there is no February 29th this year! @SubtleSanity spent the morning of the new month looking at posts from 2010 and marveling about how much the site has changed since then.

Speaking of changes, our beloved @KnightTeen recently celebrated her 17th birthday! Be sure you wish her a happy birthday, if you haven't already. Our dearest EIC @Iggy also has had some excitement recently, just getting back from a (presumably) lovely week at camp.

@AdjiFlex bids the world hello with a recent status. I'm sure I'll be able to relate with him soon. My lab semester project just got under way, and it's slowly but surely stripping me of all my free time. My babies (the fruit flies) need a careful watch. @CowLogic weighed in on one of my statuses "Listen, if some guy wants a dress and makeup over someone who can do the Drosophilia lab, that's HIS problem, not yours."

How do you prioritize? How do you spend your free time? Take a minute to update your status to let everyone know. I'll be watching. *creepy grin*

xxx

Lady S

Hah, that works for me too 8)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE HIGHWAYMAN
written by Clarity < PM: >

When I was in Year Five we studied Alfred Noyes, and his poem The Highwayman. I can remember having to get into groups and do a small performance on the poem. It was quite fun to say, but I hated standing in front of a crowd, and we were nine and ten years old…

PART ONE
I
The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding—
Riding—riding—
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.

II
He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin,
A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin;
They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh!
And he rode with a jewelled twinkle,
His pistol butts a-twinkle,
His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.

III
Over the cobbles he clattered and clashed in the dark inn-yard,
And he tapped with his whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred;
He whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord's black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord's daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

IV
And dark in the dark old inn-yard a stable-wicket creaked
Where Tim the ostler listened; his face was white and peaked;
His eyes were hollows of madness, his hair like mouldy hay,
But he loved the landlord's daughter,
The landlord's red-lipped daughter,
Dumb as a dog he listened, and he heard the robber say—

V
'One kiss, my bonny sweetheart, I'm after a prize to-night,
But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light;
Yet, if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day,
Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way.'

VI
He rose upright in the stirrups; he scarce could reach her hand,
But she loosened her hair i' the casement! His face burnt like a brand
As the black cascade of perfume came tumbling over his breast;
And he kissed its waves in the moonlight,
(Oh, sweet, black waves in the moonlight!)
Then he tugged at his rein in the moonlight, and galloped away to the West.

PART TWO
I
He did not come in the dawning; he did not come at noon;
And out o' the tawny sunset, before the rise o' the moon,
When the road was a gypsy's ribbon, looping the purple moor,
A red-coat troop came marching—
Marching—marching—
King George's men came matching, up to the old inn-door.

II
They said no word to the landlord, they drank his ale instead,
But they gagged his daughter and bound her to the foot of her narrow bed;
Two of them knelt at her casement, with muskets at their side!
There was death at every window;
And hell at one dark window;
For Bess could see, through her casement, the road that he would ride.

III
They had tied her up to attention, with many a sniggering jest;
They had bound a musket beside her, with the barrel beneath her breast!
'Now, keep good watch!' and they kissed her.
She heard the dead man say—
Look for me by moonlight;
Watch for me by moonlight;
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way!

IV
She twisted her hands behind her; but all the knots held good!
She writhed her hands till her fingers were wet with sweat or blood!
They stretched and strained in the darkness, and the hours crawled by like years,
Till, now, on the stroke of midnight,
Cold, on the stroke of midnight,
The tip of one finger touched it! The trigger at least was hers!

V
The tip of one finger touched it; she strove no more for the rest!
Up, she stood up to attention, with the barrel beneath her breast,
She would not risk their hearing; she would not strive again;
For the road lay bare in the moonlight;
Blank and bare in the moonlight;
And the blood of her veins in the moonlight throbbed to her love's refrain .

VI
Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot! Had they heard it? The horse-hoofs ringing clear;
Tlot-tlot, tlot-tlot, in the distance? Were they deaf that they did not hear?
Down the ribbon of moonlight, over the brow of the hill,
The highwayman came riding,
Riding, riding!
The red-coats looked to their priming! She stood up, straight and still!

VII
Tlot-tlot, in the frosty silence! Tlot-tlot, in the echoing night!
Nearer he came and nearer! Her face was like a light!
Her eyes grew wide for a moment; she drew one last deep breath,
Then her finger moved in the moonlight,
Her musket shattered the moonlight,
Shattered her breast in the moonlight and warned him—with her death.

VIII
He turned; he spurred to the West; he did not know who stood
Bowed, with her head o'er the musket, drenched with her own red blood!
Not till the dawn he heard it, his face grew grey to hear
How Bess, the landlord's daughter,
The landlord's black-eyed daughter,
Had watched for her love in the moonlight, and died in the darkness there.

IX
Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky,
With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high!
Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
When they shot him down on the highway,
Down like a dog on the highway,
And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

X
And still of a winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees,
When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
When the road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

XI
Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard;
He taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred;
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord's black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord's daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

I remember not knowing much about this poem when I was younger. But, reading it again, I was pleasantly surprised with its quality. Despite the length and time it takes to get through it, it’s rather good.

This article is supposed to be some form of… poetry review. But honestly, with the amount of amazing poems out there, how am I supposed to pick on things?! So, I shall only have to praise where praise is due.

And this poem is due much praise.

Going back to the performance in Year Five, it must have given me some sort of influence on wanting to pursue writing. Thinking of it, there are plenty of poems, short stories, and novels that have influenced me tremendously.

As the audience of Squills, what poems have influenced you? Send a link of an influential poem to me through PM, and I’ll choose one to feature in my next article! I want to “broaden my horizons” and take a look at poetry that has an effect on someone other than me.

Also, I hope to see you guys participating in NaPoWriMo next month! Happy Writing!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COW SAYS MARCH 2nd, 2014

written by CowLogic < PM: >

People Who Feed People are the Most Valuable People in the World

In first world countries, there is a lot of contempt for the culinary industry. "The waiting person is never polite enough, the waiting person talks too much. The food is taking too long, fast food isn't healthy or fancy. The food is too expensive, the food is made with cheap ingredients. There isn't enough atmosphere, the bathroom is to obscure."

Yes, people are never happy with this industry. But when it all comes down to it, the people that complain the most are the most vehement customers of the industry, as they are the very same people who are too lazy or haughty to make their own, cheaper, healthier food.* So, you could almost say that the culinary industry exists to be nagged. It's dependent on the nagging to make a profit.

I have never conceived a better reason to uphold the sanctity of annoying people.

*This doesn't pertain to you, dear reader, since you have extraneous circumstances.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:26 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

CLUBS INSIDER
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

Do you play a bouzouki? Can you play a mandolin? Do you love rocking out on your ukulele? Or maybe you have a love for the tamer side of strings, like cellos, guitars, and violins. If so, then there's a club for you. String Players is a club for people of all ages and abilities to come together and talk about their passions.

Whether you play guitar, bass guitar, piano, double bass, cello, violin, viola, or the harp, we're all string players! We play in orchestras, quartets, bands and alone in our bedrooms, dreaming of the stage. Got music, YWS?

@NYCnightowl007

Does the clang of swords lull you to sleep? Does the scent of danger waft you off to a far away world? Do you live for the moments that you can capture the adrenaline of battle? Then there's a club for you! Writers in Armor is a place for medieval fantasy writers to come together to discuss their work. Prose writers can discuss their settings, characters, or names for people and places in the forum. Poetry writers are encouraged to submit their work in a new contest:

[b][i]
Write a medieval poem, of any sort, with at least 2 lines, and no more than 99. Message them to me before Monday March 10, and on the 10th I will post them here for voting. This is really just because medieval poetry is fun to write, and for everyone else to read, but there are some little rewards.

Do you love the thrill of capturing events real time? Do you envision potential shots at all moments throughout the day? Do you have a habit of viewing life through the screen of a camera? If so, then you should join the club designed for people just like you!

For those just starting out or for those who have been taking pictures for years, we're all here to share the love of capturing moments in time.

@HerBugaboo

Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:26 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

WOOHOO! We've reached an amazing, 29,258 users! Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@CarnivorousMoogle has exploded on to the YWS scene this week by diving into the writing activities forums! If you're into poetry or fantasy - check out her portfolio

@MyersRockin has already achieved his first gold review star! Perhaps you could return the favour on his poetry?

@liveandbreathewords has also reached her first gold review star and I can see why! Check out her amazing review on this piece of work!

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@EmoPikaKitty@mcogles@maryum705@macaylamagiezzer@bribri0131@CarleyDarlene26@DesjardinsAE71@Pandahninjah@Azura@Casper16@woodswind@Chatoyant@HaythamQ@Zainab@SleeplessNavarro@BloodAttanos@ohlivvi@MerckkPR@DavidH@Akasha@YourWorldMyMind@DMan117tacos@Marielunar@Yazraj@t0419683f@hello@KingofTerror@jadexlouise@Cherish@noellepeter@TheArtfulDodgette@LipsyncDepression@Tanibookworm@brookecurrier@benjaminbartels@MizhaFarooq@Cyberdillo@jimyoung@yummygodzilla@SUNDAY@alonush97@kittieluby@georgina1129@toofarfromanywhere@thedreamerscanvas@YTguy97@TorissaNikole@Ianhammond98@Katsuragi@Sunshine101@TannerBisbee33@ellaphaba@MrGreen@Reader4ever@rockstarer@RsMitchell@uglyunicorn@EmilyJane@zoelovestheinternet@Purpleplatypus@blondiebehappy • @nspirus @dreamkiller09@bizarro @Goodman

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:27 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP - 3/2
written by megsug < PM: >

For adventurous spirits only.

If you love the Lord of the Rings book and movies. If you can name all of the characters and five unique attributes of each. I’ve found the club for you! The wall is filled with quote like @ddman’s

I have one word. "Hobbitses."

We’re ready for your clever quote too!

Mission trips have a history for not only being the not so peaceful way of spreading religion and putting an end to some cultural traditions. @indieeloise has a few questions.

1) Benefits/drawbacks to short-term mission trips or other organized trips that aim to provide "relief"?
2) Benefits/drawbacks to long-term relationships and support?

@Karzkin thinks mission trips have and are bad while @CowLogic thinks that they can be good if done correctly. Those seem to be the two different sides of the debate right now. What do you think?

@rhiasofia is asking for help from our talented poets out there. Here’s her problem:

…the first stanza has a rhyme scheme. It was accidental, but I'd like to carry it into the second, tweaking it so it fits as well.

Come bring your rhyming advice to a poet in need!

I found this great writing game that stretches your description skills! You’re given a word and five sentences to describe it in the best way you can. @CarnivorousMoogle does a great job with the word home.

It was just the way he remembered it.

The old house slouched comfortably over the hill, light spilling from the clouded porchlight, from the windows at front and side and peeking out from under the peeling gables. He stepped across the stones that cobbled together the driveway, following the pattern that his feet remembered through his shoes, from when they were small and bare and carefree and danced like fairies, like moonlight, like leaves on the wind.

He smelled bricks and timber and cooking food, the rough tuneless music of voices and laughter; the bones of a house that were older than his own, older than his father's, his grandfather's, than who-even-knew.

The floorboards creaked in long-awaited recognition, the wind chimes sang over the murmuring oaks, and the door under his fingers whispered, welcome home.

You want a shot? The word right now is dirt. Use your five sentences wisely.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

ALM Reviewing Contest

The ALM Reviewing Contest ends on the 8th of March and the first winner will receive two reviews of their choice and a chance to join the Analytical Literary Magazine!

Join this once in a long while opportunity to experiment with writing like the pros. Try your hand at a literary review that speak to an audience who isn't the writer. Be the critic, the editor, just for a new flavor, a single review.

Pick anything to review and simply submit the analytical review up in the contest forum linked above to apply.

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Baal • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21 • @ZLYF • @FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson