z

Young Writers Society

Squills 10/17/21 - 10/24/21

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!
What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.
And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :

Editor-in-Chief
CaptainJack

General Editors
EternalRain
Liberty

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
CaptainJack
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
LZPianoGirl
Liebensteiner

New BloodHound
ShadowVyper

Creativity Reporter
Squid

Poetry Enchantress
alliyah

Resources Reporter

Storybooks Status Reporter

Writer's World Columnist

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Code Master
Spearmint

General Reporters
IcyFlame
ChesTacos

Ghost Reporters
neptune
Asith
yellow
Charm

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

You can apply to become a Squillian Journalist by submitting a sample article to SquillsBot today!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GOODBYE FROM ETERNALRAIN
written by EternalRain< PM: >

Hi everyone,

I am writing this to let you know that I’m going to be stepping away from being an Editor at Squills.

Squills has been an incredible highlight of my past few years! It’s been one of my favorite little corners of YWS, and I’m really sad to be going, but I think it’s my time. I’m so excited to keep reading Squills in the future and watch out for new reporters and possibly new articles, but more from the sidelines. :)

I also wanted to say that if you’ve ever been, or are, interested in joining the Squills team: I encourage you to apply! Being a part of the Squills team, both as a reporter and editor, has been an amazing experience. It’s been great to work alongside everyone here, write articles, and of course hang with my friend SquillsBot. If you ever have questions, I’d be more than happy to answer; so would everyone else at Squills!

And with that, I think I’ll be signing off. ❤

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

REVMO STATS UPDATE: WEEKS TWO & THREE

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

The YWS Annual Review Month (or RevMo for short) nearly over and here at Squills we want to let you know just how everything stands before the month is up!

The site goal of 1400 reviews has been met with over 90 reviewers chipping in to smash the target, nearly a whole week before the month ends. Well done to everyone who made this goal possible!

COLOUR CHALLENGE

In the Colour Challenge , for week two, the challenge was to write 20 reviews in order to win the jazzy [color=FF4000]true orange[/color] username. @HarryHardy @RandomTalks @ForeverYoung299 @MailicedeNamedy @FireEyes @IcyFlame @Plume @Liminality @chikara and @SpiritedWolfe all ended the second week of the month with shiny new [color=#FF4000 ]true orange[/color] usernames.

For week three, the challenge was to write 35 reviews to win the lovely medium sea green username. @HarryHardy @RandomTalks @ForeverYoung299 @MailicedeNamedy @FireEyes all managed this pretty impressive feat and their usernames look wonderful!

Next week the challenge continues, with users having to meet 50 reviews by the end of the month to get an indigo username. Lets hope our reviewers aren't running out of steam just yet! This is the last push, keep on going everyone.

TEAM TORTOISE

Lots of users are still the running for Team Tortoise this month, marching in with a review every single day. Among these users are @HarryHardy @RandomTalks @ForeverYoung299 @MailicedeNamedy @FireEyes @IcyFlame @SpiritedWolfe @Plume & @vampricone6783 who are all on track for Team Tortoise. That's nine reviewers competing for that dark cyan username by reviewing at least once per day every day in September, and quite frankly, we're impressed at the sheer number of users taking on the challenge!

OTHER UPDATES & CHALLENGES

Another challenge on the horizon, is that the Green Room seems to be slowly but steadily clearing out, and with that of course comes the search for the Golden Goose and the potential rise of The Afterwatch for those who are involved in the Knights of the Green Room.

The second annualRevMo banner contest is getting ready to accept votes - check out the banners that have been submitted and be prepared to vote for your favourites

Participants are also ploughing through the official Checklist Challenge and it looks like quite a few prizes will be given out for everyone's efforts.

Head on over to the RevMo Club to get more up to date information as and when it happens - we at Squills have loved updating you on RevMo!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

INTERVIEW WITH TRINITYPOETING

written by alliyah < PM: >

This month YWS typically puts on our scary hats and enjoy Spooktober! Throughout the years there's been different ways that the site has celebrated October. One year there was a haunted house storybook, another year a spooky poetry contest, and every year something a little different. This year I thought it'd be fun to issue a little challenge for users! When I was brosing through the YWS Big Book of Records I noticed there was a record I thought we could break! The record of "most holiday avatars at once" the previous record was set for a special December-Holidays event Christmasfy My Avatar back in 2014 and was ran by @fortis, @Lumi and @Rosendorn. To break their record which has a massive turn out we'll have to get 55 users to change their avatars, but this time instead of December-Holiday themed, the Holiday we're observing is October-Holidays! I started a thread right here so we can record who has changed their avatar and count-down as we make our way to that record. The very first user on the scene of the record-breaking attempt was @TrinityPoeting, so I thought I'd interview her about the experience with it!

alliyah: So, Trinity you were the very first user to jump into the record breaking attempt and claim a spooky avatar, what made you decide to join this challenge?

TrinityPoeting:: I was intrigued right away. finding a fun Halloween Avatar, as well as being part of a record-breaking contest sounded really fun! and I was also excited to see what other people might do for their avatars.

a: It is totally exciting, isn't it? Is there any special meaning to the avatar you chose?

T:: there's not a ton of meaning to mine. I love guinea pigs and Halloween, so this is the perfect avatar for me.

a: That's great! What is your favorite thing about the spooky season of Spooktober?

T:: there's so much to love about spooktober, from the perfect fall weather to the sweet autumn smells. but my favorite thing about the season is seeing the wonderful Halloween costumes. I love them because they show the creativity of the people who made them. I think the spooky avatars have the same effect.

a: Along with the record breaking attempt, what are some aspects of YWS that you've enjoyed since joining?

T:: i love the great feed back you get on yws. Reviews are always pollite and helpful. All of you have made be a better writer!

a: Reviewing is definitely a special part of our community. And as one last question Trinity, if other users want to join in this record breaking attempt, but are unsure what to do for their spooky avatar, do you have any advice for them?

T:: you can use anything you want! just let your creativity run free! but, a few ways of finding a perfect avatar are: think about what is your favorite Halloween things. is it a ghost? witches? candy? whatever it is! just find (or create!) a picture of whatever that item is. or: think about some of your favorite things (or the avatar you already have) and spookify it!

Great answers Trinity! Thank you so much for doing that interview with me. Hopefully we've inspired a few more folks to get involved with the record breaking attempt! To participate, just change your avatar to something spooky themed and then post in this thread before October 31st! We're up to 35 users out of 55 so far so still need more users to join in to help us break this record! :)

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:19 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

REVMO STATS UPDATE: WEEK FOUR

written by IcyFlame< PM: >

The YWS Annual Review Month (or RevMo for short) has finally finished and here at Squills we're going to give you a round up of how the final week went down.

The site goal of 1400 reviews was absolutely obliterated with over 90 reviewers chipping away at the number day after day. Great job everyone!

COLOUR CHALLENGE

Plenty of users took part in this year's Colour Challenge . These 8 reviewers completed 10 reviews this RevMo and earned themselves a wonderful deep pink username ! Fantastic work, @alliyah, @LizzyTyler, @Seirre, @MissGangamash, @Valkyria, @Nicole136, @Shayna Basu, and @waywardxwallflower!

A further 5 reviewers completed 20 reviews this RevMo, and gained a stunning true orange username! Superb job, @HikariHateke, @Liminality, @MaybeAndrew, @Phillauthet, and @tweezers!

@AilahEvelynMae completed 35 reviews, and had an amazing medium sea green username to celebrate. Way to go!

Those who completed 50 reviews were graced with an indigo username for the next two weeks ...but our incredible reviewers went one better, and completed both team tortoise and 50 reviews!!. Well done to @HarryHardy, @RandomTalks, @ForeverYoung299, @MailicedeNamedy, and @FireEyes!

Big congratulations also to @SpiritedWolfe, @IcyFlame, @Plume, and @vampricone6783, all of whom wrote at least one review a day to earn themselves a highly coveted dark cyan username for the next two weeks!

The Checklist Challenge was also a big hit, with prizes being awarded to the victors over the coming weeks. 5 users also managed to complete all 50 challenges, amazing!

The second annual RevMo banner contest has announced its winners!
@HarryHardy came in third, with a super cool animated text banner in snazzy YWS colours. @Plume took second place with a feathery badge befitting their wonderful username. And the fabulous @ForeverYoung299 came in first place with the banner that encapsulated the frantic typing we all do during RevMo season.

What a wonderful month it's been! We at Squills hope you've enjoyed it as much as we have.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:21 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FUN AND GAMES: BINGO EDITION

I recently saw @tweezers mention in a WFP that they had made a YWSer bingo, and I thought it was a pretty marvelous idea that might be fun to play with Squills, so I made a Bingo myself! (Thank you for the inspiration tweezers!) Here's how it works, for each YWSer that you can find that matches each of these categories you can fill in a square - if you get 5 squares in a row you get a bingo! If you get all the squares filled up you get a black-out bingo. YWS is filled with so many people from different places and personalities and interests, it's kind of amazing that so many diverse folks are all part of one big community! I'm hoping this bingo game can help you think about the variety of friends you have on the site, and maybe even meet some new ones by asking if they meet the different categories.

This is just for fun, but if you do get a bingo let me know your answers and I will send you 200 points for a bingo, or 500 points for a black-out bingo. See what you can do! The deadline is October 24.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:22 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

UNCLASSIFIED REPORT: OCTOBER 2021

Amongst the festivities of fall and the murmur of NaNo, you may have taken notice of a disturbance on the site this month... and by that I mean "Classified" has seemingly re-emerged from their slumber to bring back their plots against the site. But your investigative Squills Reporter is back on the case, and looking for the truth.

If you are new to the Unclassified vs. Classified debate, you may want to consult Classified History or any number of my previous reports on Classified's Activities which can be found here.

The first cause for concern that something was amiss was an out-of-the-ordinary increase in users changing their usernames. There were eight username changes all in a row, very reminiscent of when Classified launched their "Project Blue Book" a few years ago and mysteriously shared secret messages to each other through username changes. This time though it is not quite clear what the thread of continuity is between these usernames ... sky/celestial imagery? animals? some sort of cypher? We haven't figured it out yet.

The other classified activity that was definitely worthy of note is that for a brief moment, the site was swarmed by bees that seemed have beckoned by classified members. Known classified-supporter @BluesClues wrote on her wall on October 4, 2021,
release the bees

#classified

then suddently a swarm of bees was released on the people tab. With one lone unclassified bee wearing a hat . A party that deems itself neutral in the unclassified vs classified debate, known as Counter Spy quickly joined the conversation trying to advocate killing of the bees. I think Counter Spy may be a diversion employed by Classified to throw us off their trail. During this time the site was also spammed by flowers from "MadnessOfARose" led by @QueenMadrose who for a brief moment paired with unclassified before turning sides over to the classified side.

Overall, we have...no clue what any of this means yet. But something is happening, and trouble seems to be brewing. I think it is likely premature to be suspicious of all bees, but perhaps classified is training a specific army to bring havoc to he site and perhaps if we solve how those username changes are all connected we'll solve the mystery of what the bees have been sent to do.

Many new users who weren't around for the previous chaotic plots of classified are asking questions. This is good. This is part of finding the truth. If you would like to join the quest for truth or if you have secret information about classified or theories about what they are plotting, please join us over at our Unclassified Headquarters where we are seeking new dedicated recruits.

Below I have prepared an informational bulletin board to organize the evidence we have so far of October's plots.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:24 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

Let's break a record!

Want to try to break a YWS record? I thought it'd be fun for us to try to break the record for most holiday avatars at once - if you want to join in, just change your avatar to something spooky or autumn themed before October 31 and report it with a picture in the record thread. To break the current record from December 2014 we'd have to get 55 users to join in! I'm not sure we can do it, but I'd love to give it a try!

Happy Spooktober!
For any questions, please PM alliyah

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find an enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!
Spoiler! :

@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen@crossroads@neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Willard@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau@deleted5@wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops@Ventomology@Evander@WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@KaiTheGreater@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Vincian • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Arcticus@Wolfi@Pamplemousse@Sassafras@gia2505@ExOmelas@SkyeWalker@Noelle@elysian@TinkerTwaggy@kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake • @yellow • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback@Que@BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity@BluesClues • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings@TheLittlePrince@TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Magebird • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim@Kazumi@inktopus@OreosAreLife@Saruka@rosette@PastelSlushie@Strident@darklady@Jashael@TheBlueCat • @Thundahguy • @ZeldaIsSheik • @Lives4Christ24@manilla@Danni88@Elinor@fishsashimi@TheWeirdoFromBeyond@shaniac@neptune@Storybraniac@WritingPrincess@Starve@JosephHGeorge@Amabilia@Fantascifi66@paperforest@alliyah • @Liberty • @Vulcanite • @atlast@EverLight@AlyTheBookworm@mckaylaam@JesseWrites@lillianna@IcyFlame@writingbright@RadDog13579 • @Euphoria8 • @LUNARGIRL • @InuYosha • @MomoMajesty • @rida • @hannah314159 • @ForeverYoung299@MailicedeNamedy@RandomTalks@QueenMadrose

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee