z

Young Writers Society

Forty Degrees Celsium - Chapter 2 2/2

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 am
Wolferion says...

************* (It's the same chapter, but the scenes change)

“Lucky.” Kate pats her forehead with mixed feelings. The thought of all her teammates being dead is enough to cause her the worst nightmares, and she’s just almost got to see it become real.

Jeffrey slowly pulls his torso up, shaking, and pushes himself to the wall to lean against it. He leans his head back and starts laughing, coughing slightly to it.

Kate throws a furious look at him. She’s feeling so horrible and yet he’s laughing as if nothing serious is going on. She just doesn’t get him at all.

“What? I’ve just recalled my study times when I felt this miserable. Fun times. Besides, it’s nice to loosen up a bit; stress is horrible after all.”
“Are you for real?! We’ve just recently lost our dear friends and you laugh so easily?! Especially when the city’s under attack right now?!”

He sighs with disappointment, his expression quickly becomes frighteningly serious. He wasn’t exactly relaxed as Kate had thought. “Now you’ve really done it. Are you going to sulk and whine forever like a spoiled brat, that can’t do a heck herself but brag?”

Kate opens her mouth and shuts it again. His aura is so overwhelming and his confidence behind every word is so suppressive, that she doesn’t feel any strength to object, not to mention that his wild look renders one helpless. Scared, Kate slowly moves backwards until she hits the wall.

He continues mercilessly: “I don’t remember a crybaby joining our ranks. I’ve tolerated your sulking for days, but now my patience’s so over. Have you forgotten what it means to be Royal Sentinel? Where is your Apache blood? Where the hell is guerrilla tactics expert Kate Cross? Where is the grown up woman that stood her ground and swore oath to the rules of Royal Sentinels? Tell me, have you already forgotten the foremost rule?! Regret nothing!”

The rules signed with blood, Kate sure remembers them; Regret nothing, fight to protect, protect the important, stand your own ground, obey nobody but the King.
She starts regaining her courage, putting up resistance. She’s recalled how hellish it was to get to the Royal Sentinels, the oath, and most importantly - the squad mates that didn’t mind dying while trying to accomplish a noble task.

“That’s what I want to see, that true face of a brave warrior that knows his goal, has no regrets, nothing to hide, and moves forward, ready to fight for the righteous cause. Are you that brave warrior?”

“Hell, I am!” Kate’s confidence has returned, backed up by all her painful memories and promises to not let them repeat. She straightens up with confidence.

The tension quickly fades away as Jeffrey puts on a smile, even his voice sounds warmer; “Welcome back. Now, gear up! We’ve got the city to defend!”

“Roger that, commander!” Even though the members in Royal Sentinels usually treat each other equally, she can’t help but to feel his leadership as his power of spirit behind his each word packs a great deal of motivation.

They’ve both brought along their equipment hidden in sports bag to look civil. The equipment’s almost the same - vest with pockets full of ammunition and grenades, leather hangers for knives and sidearms - except for the main guns - bolt-action sniper rifle for Jeffrey, light-weight sub-machine gun for Kate.

Once they both finish up checking their weapons, Jeffrey stands up, leaning against the wall. He takes out his phone and immediately puts it back.
“They’ve jammed the region, so we won’t get any help anytime soon. With the artillery over, I’m damn sure they’re going to bring in infantry, tanks probably too... Air force prolly as well. Your suggestions?”

Kate has already something figured out, her mind once focused works fast, truly befitting the Guerrilla expert title.
“We could first secure a stable DP (Defense Point) and bring anybody we find there. It shouldn’t be hard to find one and maybe by the time we do we get in contact with the rest of RS.”

“Good, accepted. I still can’t move efficiently, so I’ll provide cover fire while you scout ahead. Clear?”
“Roger.”

They both walk out of the alley into the street. The dust has mostly fallen down by now, uncovering disastrous sight; it’s hard to tell if there’s even one building undamaged, material fragments are spread everywhere along with the dead. There’s no sign of life in their sight. It truly feels like an apocalypse has just come by.

Jeffrey looks around a bit confused for some reason.
“What’s wrong? This isn’t nothing new for us to see.”
“Not that... I have that bad feeling that something heavy is coming.”
Kate’s voice rises: “You mean tanks?!”

They both notice smoke coming out from a great distance down in the valley part of the city. It doesn’t take them long to recognize shape of the moving objects. Jeffrey gives off a short sarcastic laugh.

Kate shakes her head with an annoyed expression.
“I wish I didn’t get to see it.”
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:30 pm
Deanie says...

Okay this is interesting. I'm never usually the first person to review. I liked this chapter and finally I get to understand the connection between Kate and Jeffery. We also get to know what they are meant to be doing : serving the king. I just have one little nitpick:

Shinda wrote:His aura is so overwhelming and his confidence behind every word is so suppressive, that she doesn’t feel any strength to object, not to mention that his wild look renders one helpless.
- Here you spelled aura wrong. It's aurora.

I've gotten to know the characters better and now I am interested to know why the city is under attack. Is there a war going on? You've set a bit of background information in, but there is still a lot more to find out.

Full speed towards next chapter!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

And don't forget it's hydrate or diedrate
— zaminami