z

Young Writers Society

Weird And Yet Wonderful: Chapter 1

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:19 pm
limegreenleopard says...

Okay, this is this first chapter. :D Eekk I know it's long, but my chapters kinda are. Reviews very welcome :D
~Leopard :D

Chapter One

We were rattling along in the car, everyone packed full of excitement, so much we were about to burst. As the wood grew closer and closer, the atmosphere in the car rose higher than it had been for the last half hour. Finally, after nearly two years, we were just minutes away from staring our new life in Forest Drive. Bet you don’t know what on earth I’m talking about, so I’ll tell you.

Forest Drive, or The Drive, as we have fondly come to call it, is a small circle of ten houses, just outside Bluebell Wood, which is in Scotland, somewhere. Somewhere, anyway. There’s going to be ten families moving in today. All ten parents helped build the site, as the council had no money for workers, and we went along on weekends to meet the other kids who are going to be living there. I knew straightaway I couldn’t wait to move in. Imogen glanced at me, and instantly I knew she agreed. Imogen’s my twin sister, and also my best friend. The reason we’re all just so excited is because none of us kids have seen the finished site yet, because the parents wouldn’t let us. They wanted to keep it as a surprise.
The weekends over at the building site were really good fun. I especially remember the first time Mum took me and Imogen down for the weekend. I was as excited as I possibly could be. The first time we spent the weekend, it was cold and wet, and we were all sleeping in tents that blew in the harsh wind. The houses were mere foundations, and the rest of Forest Drive was non-existent. But it was still purely magical and even better than I’d imagined.

We’d arrived one Saturday afternoon, and the rain was still drizzling miserably, but no rain could dampen our spirits. Imogen and I had been singing silly songs all the way, and you could tell Mum was about to go absolutely bonkers. Mum parked up and we jumped out of the car excitedly.

The place was a mess of stone, wood, gravel and brick. It was like a maze of things that with a bit of magic, would spring into a beautiful home. We darted through the mess until we reached the centre, where everyone had gathered.
“Hello, Tina,” Joseph had called, waving, “Good to see you here. And who are these two lovely young ladies?” I blushed, and I knew Imogen’s cheeks were flaming too.

“These are my twin daughters,” Mum answered, looking at me and then Imogen, “Claudia, and Imogen.”

We smiled dutifully and shook hands with the adults. Right at that moment, I noticed two girls, standing in the corner. One had the most amazing waist length auburn hair and she was tall and slim with a beautiful figure. The other was small, blonde and bouncy with a huge smile. They both looked about my age and I felt a surge of confidence, so I strolled over to them.

“Hi,” I said, as casually as I could manage, although I was wobbling like jelly, “I’m Claudia.”

Luckily, the two girls seemed pleased to see me.

“Hi!” the blonde girl replied enthusiastically, “I’m Charlotte and this is Elizabeth. How old are you? I’m twelve and so is Elizabeth!”

“I’m twelve too,” I said, smiling. I’d found my first two friends, I guess.

We visited Forest Drive at various stages in the production, and I became closer and closer with Elizabeth and Charlotte. I realise that they were the perfect friends for me, kind, sweet and funny.

We’d just hang around the site and help out, carrying bricks here, wood there and helping the adults. We chatted as we worked. The adults got used to having the kids drifting around, but one week we were allowed out on a very special treat. My Mum drove Elizabeth, Charlotte and I to Edinburgh for a special shopping day. She even gave us ten pounds each, which is a load considering we used to live on a council estate.

She dropped us off in the centre and told us to meet her at three o’clock, which gave us a whole five hours shopping! We wandered around the shops and bought some amazing clothes. Elizabeth got a beautiful red polo shirt, Charlotte bought an electric blue jacket and I bought a lovely violet tee with black writing across the middle that read, ‘Goths Forever.’ It was a really great day.

We had lunch at McDonalds, and I had to beg a few chips from Elizabeth because my t-shirt had been the most expensive, at £8, and we’d all decided to buy ice creams afterwards, so I was keeping my two pounds for that.
After lunch, we approached the ice cream parlour excitedly. Inside were a maze of chairs and a rainbow of flavours accompanied by millions of delicious looking toppings and a range of cones.

“I’m never going to be able to choose which one!” Charlotte squealed, “I’m in heaven!”
“This is so cool,” I agreed happily.
It took us ten minutes to inspect each flavour carefully, screaming at the weirdest ones.
“Orange Peanut?” Elizabeth laughed, pointing, “Strawberry Coffee?”
Charlotte and I collapsed laughing at the two latest suggestions. We carried on like that, receiving some strange looks from people, until Elizabeth pointed out the time and we chose our ice creams, still giggling.

Charlotte decided on Strawberry Chocolate Whirl with marshmallows in a white chocolate cone. Not a white chocolate coated cone, a cone actually made of chocolate! Elizabeth chose Bubblegum Mist in a waffle cone with hundreds and thousands. Me? Well I got a Cake Mix and Vanilla Dream double scoop in a white chocolate cone with a flake and a wafer. It was the best thing I’d ever tasted.

We chatted happily until my mum came to pick us up. She took us back to the building site and the three of us went to help, together. From that day on, we were firm best friends, and in my opinion, it had made the looming move seem so much simpler.

The morning of our move was very exciting. Imogen threw me out of our shared bed at the crack of dawn shouting,
“Claw, get up! Now!”

“Shut up, Imo, I’m trying to sleep,” I murmured, rolling over and taking the covers with me.
“It’s moving day, Claw, come on,” my sister whined, sounding a bit like a two year old.
“Okay, o k a y, don’t get your knickers in a twist, I’m getting up now,” I sighed, climbing slowly out of bed.
She dragged me into the scruffy old kitchen and gobbled her cornflakes as fast as she possibly could. Mine were still lying untouched in their bowl.

“Come on Claw, eat up already, I want to leave as soon as possible,” Imogen urged.
“Yeah, so do I,” I admitted, “But I’m still waking up properly.”
She attempted to spoon my cornflakes into my mouth, and I pushed her away, laughing.
“I can feed myself you maniac,” I protested, giggling.

Eventually, I’d finished my breakfast and the two of us got ready in our most comfortable clothes, Imo in her blue tracksuit bottoms and Rangers shirt, and me wearing my black leggings and navy shirt, with matching navy blue ribbons in my bunches. I never go uncoordinated. I always have matching coloured ribbons in my bunches. Mum helped us gather our things and we heaved them into the back of Mum’s old Ford. It creaked alarmingly.“I hope we make it there,” Mum joked, and we all laughed together.

Imo and I got into the back of the car and Mum dished out the sweets that we’d bought specially, Mars bars and Twixs and Chewits and Wham bars. We munched, crunched and chewed companionably as Mum started the car and we said goodbye to our old flat. We were on our way to Forest Drive. The car trundled up a country lane and there was a loud gasp from Imogen, which must have meant only one thing, we’d arrived. Mum shushed her, but happily, as she parked the car in a bright, shiny new car park and opened our door. Imogen grabbed my hand as we clambered out of the car and up a lane until we reached a hedge fence and a small wooden gate reading ‘Forest Drive’ in eye catching blue letters. Mum swung open the gate and we followed her nervously into the play park that commandeered the circular park in the middle of the site. We could hear noise from the patio area to the left of the play park, and so we followed the noise until we came to the other residents.

Everyone was gathered around, suitcases piled high on top of each other, laughing and talking. It seemed like we were the last family to arrive. As soon as we were in sight, everyone jumped up and screamed, “Welcome to Forest Drive!” At that moment, I knew I would love it there.

Beth and Charlotte, the two girls my age (apart from Imogen) who are going to live on Forest Drive, rushed over to hug me. We’d made great friends over the weekends we’d spent at the site, and were so excited to be living so near to each other. I hugged the two girls, laughing happily. I couldn’t believe we had finally arrived at Forest Drive.
Mum covered mine and Imogen’s eyes as she led us up to our new home, number 3, Forest Drive. My feet slid over the crunchy gravel until finally, Mum uncovered my eyes and I saw the most beautiful house I’d ever seen. Could that actually be my house?

It was a little stone cottage with a wooden door and homely looking tiled roof. Sure, it wasn’t perfect, as it hadn’t been built professionally, but it was still lovely.

It was like stepping inside a whole different world. We came straight into a small porch area, fitted with little wooden shoe racks to put our shoes on. I glanced at Imogen in confusion, but Mum nodded her head at us, so we hastily took off our shoes, excited to see the rest of our new home. The next door revealed a living room with two comfy looking red sofas and a small television on the wooden chest of drawers. My feet sank into the creamy soft carpet and the whole room smelled just like home. On closer inspection, the kitchen was light, bright and airy, with white wooden units and the wall painted a cheerful yellow. A small dining table sat in the middle of the room and the floor was made of wood, which gave the room a unique character. The bathroom was a funky blue, with a shower and even a little bath. But the best thing was the bedrooms.

Three of them, so Imogen and I, for the first time, didn’t have to share. The first bedroom was quite boring, I thought, just cream with a rosy duvet cover on the bed, but Mum seemed to like it, probably because it wasn’t damp and full of bugs. The second bedroom was good, a lovely lime green colour with a bunk bed, a wardrobe and a little desk. I looked at Imogen, and could tell by her shining eyes that she wanted that bedroom. Fine by me, I smiled at my twin. The third bedroom was amazing. The walls were deep purple and there was a small single bed with a black starry cover. It had the same wardrobe and desk as Imogen’s room. It felt just like home. I dumped my suitcase on the bed and sighed, “This is the best place ever!”

“I’m glad you like it,” Mum grinned, “Now why don’t you two get unpacked and changed for the barbeque at the park tonight? It starts at seven.”

I rushed off to unpack, and within ten minutes I was done. I own quite a lot of clothes, but I work quickly. I knocked on Imogen’s door and walked inside straightaway. I sat down next to her on her bed.
“Do you like it here?” she asked.
“Yeah, I do. Do you?” I replied.
“I love it! It’s so great. Now leave me alone so we can get ready!” she laughed playfully, pulling my bunches.

I love my sister, I mean, I do most of the time, but sometimes she’s just too optimistic. Never wants to actually ask how I’m feeling. I’m so excited for the barbeque though, because there are loads of people I haven’t met yet.
I got dressed happily in my favourite outfit; a purple tartan skirt which my mum made for me, a black t shirt, with lacy sleeves and my purple tartan Converse (best birthday present ever!). I tied red ribbons in my bunches and twirled my lucky black beads around my neck, for luck. I’m a Dolly Goth, you see. That means, yes, I’m a Goth and like to wear dark clothes, but also I like to wear colourful socks and ribbons in my hair. It gives a slightly more individual look than the whole black gothic thing, you know?

A lot of people say that I’m weird, because of the clothes that I wear and the way I tie up my hair. That’s why I’m so glad for a new start with new people and a new school. So when I met Beth and Charlie, I liked them so much because they seemed to like me. I can’t wait to see them again tonight; it’s going to be so great to meet everyone properly. I hope I make a good impression. There’s Imogen waiting for me, I better go. I’m so nervous…
We crunched along the gravel until we reached the patio area. Imogen brushed her hands on her grey cut off skate shorts and pulled her blue t-shirt down, as it was a bit small for her. She dragged a hand through her long; wind swept black hair and smiled anxiously.

“Here we are, this is it,” she smiled, linking arms with me.
Entering the patio, I saw that it was crowded with loads of people. I smelt the delicious scent of sausages cooking as I picked my way through the crowd to Beth and Charlie.
Beth looked beautiful, in a shimmering emerald green dress that she had later confided was from a charity shop, but it looked beautiful anyway. Her long red hair was glinting in the sunlight. Charlie looked just as good, in a white polo top and electric blue jeans, her hair in its ordinary ponytail, sparkled up with a blue flower tucked behind her ear. They hugged me excitedly and pulled me away to a bench by the play park where it was quiet.

“We have the best news ever to tell you Claw!”
Beth squealed, clutching Charlie excitedly.
“There’s this boy, living here,” Charlie sighed, her eyes going dreamy, “Jack Preston, and he is, like, so gorgeous!”
“He just has the most amazing blonde hair and the cutest smile you have ever seen!”
Beth gushed.

“Well, he does sound pretty nice,” I said, considering with a grin, “Lets go find him then, shall we?”
“Oh yes, lets!” Charlie agreed enthusiastically, as Beth nodded her head.
The three of us, stood up, linked arms and strolled away to the buzz of the crowd. We struggled through the crowing, craning our heads to look, until Charlie saw a blonde head bobbing in the mass of people. Carefully, we worked our way over to where he was standing.

He was good looking, just as the others had said, in his skinny jeans and too big checked button up shirt, blonde fringe gelled to perfection. Charlie and Beth waved sheepishly as they approached and he smiled back.
“Hey, Jack,” Charlie simpered, “How you doing?”
“Fine thanks, Charlie, and who is your friend?” Jack replied, grinning straight at me. I felt like I was melting.
I stepped forward and held out my hand.
“I’m Claudia, Claudia Morrison, but you can call me Claw, if you want,” I said.
Jack shook my hand and laughed a wonderful, cheerful sound.

“Well, I’ll have to call you Tiger then, won’t I? You know, like, claw, Tiger? I’m Jack, but you can call me Jack,” he answered as I blushed bright scarlet.
“Ha ha, funny,” I replied.
“Hey, snap!” Jack grinned, touching my foot with his. I looked down, only to realise we had the exact same pair of Converse on.
“Nice shoes,” I laughed.
Beth stepped forward. “Hi, Jack!” she declared.
“Hey, Elizabeth,” he acknowledged, turning to Charlie, “Charlotte, this is Olly, my friend.”
I spun around to notice a tall boy about my age, with floppy brown hair and a half amused smile.
“Yeah, I’m Olly, but since we’re all going by nicknames, call me Olly,” the boy told us. Charlie grinned at him.
“Well call me Beth,” Beth suggested, “I like it better than Elizabeth anyway.”
“And call me Charlie,” interrupted Charlie.

“That’s good, then, we’ve all got nicknames, apart from me,” Jack laughed, “Tiger, have you got a twin? I’ve seen a girl the spitting image of you.
“Yeah, I have, her name is Imogen,” I admitted.
“Cool,”
“Come on Jack, let’s go and get some food,” Olly prompted.
“Okay then. See you around, Tiger,” he said, winking at me, “Charlie, Beth,”
The two boys waved, and then disappeared in the mess of people, laughing and talking.
“Isn’t he gorgeous?” gushed Beth, twirling a lock of hair around her finger.
“Yes, he is, isn’t he?” Charlie agreed happily. “But Olly’s pretty cute too, mind you!”
“Yeah, I suppose,” Beth replied. My two friends turned to me expectantly.
I opened my mouth, but couldn’t say anything.

“She’s lost for words!” Beth teased, “She’s so love struck she can’t even speak!” The two girls dissolved into giggles. I suddenly found my voice and laughed along with them, not taking their joke seriously at all.
My friends linked arms with me and we strolled to where the sausages and burgers were laid out. We grabbed plates and helped ourselves to the food. Charlie, Beth and I found our way back to the bench we were sitting on, near the play park and tucked in to our food in perfect silence.

I replayed the events of the last half hour in my head. Making friends at Forest Drive seemed like second nature to me now. Everyone was just so, friendly. I was now sure I was going to enjoy it at our new home. I felt like I was settling in just fine. But how about Imogen, I wondered. I better go and check on her.

I got up from the bench, excused myself from Beth and Charlie, who were gossiping about someone (Jack?) and walked away in search of Imogen. I found her over on the other side of the play park, climbing trees with…Olly and Jack. Suddenly I was shaking like crazy. Luckily, Imogen spotted me and waved me over.
“Hey, sis, how’s it going?” Imogen grinned putting her arm around my shoulders.
“Good, actually, brilliant,” I smiled, turning to Jack, “I see you met my twin sister!”
Jack laughed and nudged Imogen, who high-fived him.
“Yes, I’ve met her, Tiger,” Jack told me, “She’s cool, and so are you. I see the resemblance, yeah?”
He laughed, and Imogen laughed too. Soon Olly, Jack, Imogen and I were splitting our sides laughing, for no reason.
When we’d eventually stopped laughing, I grasped Imogen to stable myself. I was feeling shaky, because of giggling too much, and because right in front of me was Jack, grinning at me.
Imogen giggled at me and joked,

“I think my sis is a bit drunk! She’s gone all hyper!”
Well, of course that set everyone off laughing again. There we were, the four of us, collapsing laughing. Our voices echoed cheerfully into the sunset. It was the most magical thing ever. I swear, I am going to remember that moment when Jack touched my arm, softly, as we all walked back to where the main barbeque was being held.
It was about nine o clock and the little ones were starting to tire. The music played gently and people were milling about, dancing and introducing themselves. Imogen and I hung around together for a bit, talking to some of the other children. We met Lucy, Natalie and Molly (she’s Charlotte’s sister) and loads of other people. As I mentioned before, everyone is just so lovely here, like we’re already a big family.

It was about ten when Mum took me and Imogen back to the house. The whole place looked so beautiful in the dark, even more so than in the day, because it was lit with little lamps strewn along the grass. We got back to the house and stepping inside, it felt so strange, not at all like our own home. But it was ours that was the best thing.
I danced into my bedroom and slipped on my favourite pyjamas. Okay, maybe they were twenty pence cast-offs from the charity shop, but that’s where we get most of our stuff from. They were a lovely purple colour with black stars all over them, and they smelt homely.

I guess, you want to know why we get everything from charity shops, don’t you? Well, I know it sounds like we live in a lovely place and have lovely clothes, but that’s not really true. I mean, we do live in a lovely place now, but we didn’t used to, not really.

We (Imogen, Mum and I) lived on South Bank council estate, about an hour away from Forest Drive. It was a towering, ugly, council block of flats, a completely horrible place to live, to be honest. The flat we lived in was only one bedroom, so Imogen and I had to camp on the two tattered sofas each night, which, believe me, wasn’t my ideal accommodation. The kitchen was the size of a broom cupboard, the electric frequently played games with us, refusing to turn on most days. The sitting room was bare and unfurnished, and there was mould in the bathroom. I was so glad when Mum told us we were moving to Forest Drive. That was one rainy Sunday afternoon…
Imogen and I were sat on the sofa, drawing, because there was nothing else to do. Mum practically ran into the room, a huge beam shining on her face.

“I’ve got something to tell you girls!” she exclaimed.
“What now?” Imogen sighed.
“We’re moving!”
“Not another council house, no way,” Imogen muttered under her breath, but Mum heard.
“No, of course not!” Mum reassured, “A proper house!”
Then I joined in the conversation.
“A proper house, seriously?” I asked, shocked.
“Well, yes, although it’s not actually built yet,” Mum admitted.
“What?” Imogen said, confused.

“Well a woman in the care group that I go to mentioned that she had seen a piece of land, perfect to build a new complex on. She had an idea that we could build ten houses, for ten struggling single parent families to live in. There were ten families who wanted to be a part of it, so it’s definitely going ahead. There isn’t very much funding though, so we have to help build, but it’s going to be good, and a great place to live when it’s finished.”
“Really, Mum?” I gasped, “A real house?”

“Yes,” Mum said, putting her arms around us, “A real house and you’re going to love it.”
And I do love it. I’m living the dream, and yet I’ve only just got here. It’s like the best thing that’s ever happened to me, I’m certain. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow and the rest of the summer brings. New friends and a new start in the best new place I could imagine – what’s not to love?
I trailed into Imogen’s room, where she was lying on her bed reading. I shoved her over and sat down next to her. She turned and nodded at me.

“I know you like him,” Imogen started.
“Who, who do I like, because, you know, I don’t like anybody, not at all, certainly not,” I gabbled nervously. I couldn’t believe she was on to me so fast, but, I guess, that’s what twins are for.
“Shush,” Imogen laughed, “Don’t try to hide it silly, I know you and your friends have gone all swoony over him, but don’t worry, I won’t laugh, even though him and Olly are my best friends.”
“What?” I almost died, I mean, best friends?

“Yeah, we’re best friends. No worries, I won’t tell him you like him, I’m your twin remember? Closer than close and all that?”
“Of course,” I sighed, relieved.
“Good,” Imogen said, “Now get out of my room and go to bed!”
I laughed, hugged my sister and went away into my room. I hopped into my bed, pulled the covers up to my chin and fell promptly asleep.
What a brilliant day it had been, and what an amazing summer it was going to be.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia. ~Charles Schulz

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:07 pm
KindredSpiritBee says...

Holy Cow! I like this idea! I mean, it's interesting, it's creative and already I'm coming up with theories about what's going to happen. Admittedly, I'm probably way off base, but I'm still intrigued. I'm interested to see where you're going to take this, and I think you have a really good start for this book. I liked how you had flashbacks of sorts about the whole building process. You didn't just inform me that Claudia had friends on Forest Drive, you gave the reader how she met Charlie and Beth and how they became friends. I liked that you didn't just say that they were friends, you showed how they were friends. I've read a lot of stuff that doesn't do that at all. You really have an interesting style of writing, and you reeled me right in.

The only thing I really have to complain about, is Claudia and Imogen's relationship. I understand that they're twins, and it seems like they're close, but I just don't see it. They don't seem to interact with each other very much, and I guess I just expect a set of twins to talk to each other, or hang out more. I could be missing it, or maybe I haven't read that part yet, but that's what I felt.

=D again, I loved it, and I can't wait to read more!

~Bee
Llamas do not have six packs

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain