z

Young Writers Society

Sometimes, chapter Twenty-six

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm
xDudettex says...

Spoiler! :
This is it guys. Things really start to happen as of here. I haven't edited it in a while so there might be mistakes.

In the last chapter; Harriet realised Sonny has flaws, she danced with Aiden, who promptly ran off, and Brandon was spotted.

Rated for underage drinking and urges :P

Enjoy!

My mind was back on Sonny again as we started dancing. The strobe lighting was a bit disorientating, but I hung onto his smile, making sure to match his expression. Flirting was all about being in sync, Cassie had said. I had to make sure that I copied his body language. Not that I knew a lot about it. I was just sticking to smiling when he did and going for the simple flirty touches.

Beast had finished their set now, so the moshing on the far side of the dance floor had stopped. I’d only noticed it when I’d glimpsed Roz and Leanne bounding around with a group of guys. I’d caught Sonny gazing at them too, but he’d just smiled when he’d spotted my eyes on him.

The nerves hit then. This was it; I was alone with Sonny. No distractions. My mind was no longer lingering on Brandon’s presence, too busy dreaming up ways that I could win Sonny over. The butterflies in my gut were now doing the conga around my body, leaving me finding it hard to breathe. I looked to Sonny for reassurance to see him watching me dance. I was doing the hand on my neck thing again. It seemed to be working though. He had a lazy smile on his face that seemed to wash the nerves away. It should have had the opposite effect really. I should have been on the floor, knees weak and heart pumping furiously, but I wasn’t. I blamed the alcohol. It seemed to want me to get my kiss with Sonny.

“Do you like this song?” he shouted over the music. His gaze swept over the length of my body and chill ran up my spine. “You seem to know how to dance to it.”

I shrugged, at a loss for words. The way he was observing me, now wearing an even lazier smile, one eyebrow raised in appreciation. The image made me melt. He looked so sexy, right then in that moment, that I really did have to fight to keep my arms from flying around his neck. My eyes fell to his lips again and I bit my own lip in anticipation.

“You looked nervous when you were dancing earlier. With Leanne.” The words left my mouth all of a sudden, ending up sounding like a statement rather than the question that I’d been thinking of asking.

He laughed, a sound my ears could pick out easily, even over the sound of the pounding bass line. “Leanne likes to dance like a woman possessed. Especially when she’s had a few drinks.”

I ran a hand over my hair, trying out the flirting technique that Cassie had showed me. “I saw.”

“I like to take it slow.” His eyes were on my hips as I swayed side to side with the beat of the music.

I smiled and he looked away, catching himself looking at me in a way that was making the butterflies dance. “Oh.”

“And it’s liquid confidence,” he admitted.

“I know the feeling,” I agreed.

We both laughed then, in a way that almost out right said that we both knew something was going on. Something that I’d been dreaming about for the last few months.

But then Brandon was back. It was clear that he was trying to get my attention now. He had the whole run of the place, yet he kept appearing next to me, like some creepy stalker. I’d never pinned him as a stalker really, not even before I told him the truth. I’d just thought of him as love sick. He came across as desperate now though, watching me over the rim of his glass like a private detective. He wasn’t doing a very good job of being subtle about it.

“What’s wrong?”

Sonny’s hand was on my shoulder this time, and his bare skin on mine felt electric. “Uh.” I looked up to see him scanning the area that Brandon was in. I had no intention of telling him the truth, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself if Brandon was watching me for the rest of the night. “It’s just some guy.”

Sonny’s brow creased. “Some guy?”

I stopped dancing and shrugged. “Some guy from College. I told him I just want to be friends but…” I trialed off, not wanting to relive the moment where I’d had to watch Brandon’s face crumble with realisation.

“But he won’t listen.” Our heads were close together, so we could hear each other over the music, and my lungs were filled with the smell of him again. “Is that right?”

I nodded shyly. “I just don’t want to talk to him.” I found my gaze being pulled to where Brandon was standing and I noticed Sonny turning to look too.

“You know,” he said, his lips inches from my ear and his eyes still on Brandon. “The best way to get rid of a guy, is to pretend that you’re with another.”

My eyes widened at his words and I felt my mouth go dry. Was he really suggesting that I pretend to be with him? The mere thought of being Sonny’s girlfriend made my breathing accelerate.

“Oh really?” I was trying to sound nonchalant and I hoped the sound of the music covered the shaking undertone of my voice. “Does that really work?”

Sonny reached down and took my hands in his. “Let’s see, shall we?”

The grin he gave me was so mischievous that I almost laughed. Is this really happening? Being twirled around on the spot bought me back to reality. He held my hands in the air while I rolled my shoulders and shook my hips, dancing on the spot. Sonny copied me, looking like a bad flamenco impersonator. The kid couldn’t really dance but I didn’t care. He was the only person I knew that could look hot while doing the robot.

I threw my head back and laughed, searching the crowds for Brandon as I did. I couldn’t see him anymore and my heart swelled, excited at the prospect or getting Sonny all to myself again.

“Is he gone?”

I nodded.

Sonny let go of my hands and I had to try extra hard to stop my smile from fading. My skin ached for his touch.

“That was fun,” Sonny said, sounding like the whole thing was a big joke.

It hurt a bit, but I didn’t want to let it show. “And it worked,” I added, plastering on an even bigger smile.

“We make a great team.”

The smile suddenly turned genuine and I felt my insides swoon. “Yeah?”

He nodded, running a hand through his hair and looking like the guy from the perfume advert again.

I looked away, feeling like I needed to release a girly squeal. For the first time in a while, I wished Cassie had been here to hear that.

I turned back to see him watching me, offering me a bashful smile. The tension between us seemed to rise in an instant. The clouded feeling in my head was softening, leaving me feeling more drunk than before. I knew the room would be swaying if I stood still long enough to let it. The bass seemed to have gotten suddenly stronger and I could feel it vibrating through my body.

“So what made you come out tonight?”

You. The thought was in my head as soon as I’d heard his question but I knew I couldn’t tell him the truth. Why not? Leanne’s not around. That thought caught me off guard and I felt suddenly confused. Why was it that I was so intent on lying to Sonny? Didn’t I want him to know how I felt? The prospect of telling him the real reason why I’d come circled around my head, but it still tasted funny on my tongue.

“I wanted to see the gig, of course,” I replied at last, watching as Sonny’s easy smile grew.

“Of course.” He laughed then and the confusion I was feeling doubled. I was rubbish at this ‘reading signals’ business. I had to be. One minute I was sure Sonny liked me, but then the next he was talking like we were friends. Just friends. I wanted to probe him further; ask him why he thought my answer was funny.

“You always seemed so quiet.” It was like he was talking to himself, having forgotten that his lips were inches from my ear. “You never came downstairs when I was over. Always in your room alone.”

I felt myself blushing at the ‘alone’ part. He thought I was a loser. Disappointment replaced the confusion and I became annoyed at myself. I should have known that he’d pick up on that. Cassie had been right when she’d told me to join in, encouraging me to interact with them.

“But now I’ve realised that you’re not totally geeky and shy. You’re actually pretty cool.”

This conversation had me on an emotional rollercoaster. One minute he had me wanting to run from the room and the next I was feeling more closer to a kiss every second. The butterflies rejoiced in my gut and I thanked him with a smile.

“You know, I came tonight to prove I’m not boring.” Part of me wanted to suck the words back in as soon as I’d said them, but I let them linger, observing Sonny’s face for a reaction. The grin he’d been wearing stayed in place.

“I don’t think you’re boring.” He sounded sincere, even with the alcohol in his body.

I wanted to jump up and down but was interrupted before I could celebrate. I felt my smile waver and Sonny glanced behind himself to see Brandon again.

And then his hands were on me. Tentative to begin with; light touches on my waist that were a shock to the system. But then he seemed to push through the barrier he’d felt at first, and the touches started to mean something. Firm and strong, Sonny’s hands were deliberate and so were the glances he was giving Brandon. I was in too much of a daydream to properly read into how the two guys were communicating through hostile looks. It was a strange sensation, to have two people fight over you, but I couldn’t ignore the buzz it gave me. Sonny and I were still facing each other, and his lips were still inches from my ear. He was whispering something about how we were going to get rid of Brandon for good, but I wasn’t really listening. My heart was thundering in my chest and my thoughts wouldn’t stop whizzing around my head. I noticed the song changing, the tempo rising and the bodies around us shifting closer together. The feeling would have been suffocating if I’d been alone amongst the crowds, but with Sonny I felt amazing.

I caught his gaze, brown orbs piercing straight through me, and he spun me around. His hands left contact with my waist for only a moment but I still managed to feel alone in that split second. He was standing behind me now, space still between us as if he was about to launch me around the room for a round of the conga, but he didn’t. Instead he closed the gap, pressing his body into mine, sending shivers down my spine. His thumbs started tracing patterns on my hips and my skin tingled at his touch, aching for more. I felt his breath on my ear again as he whispered to me, but I couldn’t concentrate on what he was saying. All around, bodies were grinding against each other and, even though Sonny was standing flesh to me, embarrassment flooded my system. I’d done all types of dancing before, but nothing that required me to be this close to someone. With Sonny it felt natural, like we’d been waiting for this to happen. Weeks of wanting, waiting in anticipation, were finally coming to an end. The urge was stronger than ever now, pulsing through my body to the sound of the bass line.

As if making the first move, Sonny pushed my hair over one shoulder and placed his lips to my neck. There was an explosion of pure desire in my body and my dancing raced faster, my hips moving like it was the most natural thing. We were so close, Sonny matching my moves, his lips still on my neck. My skin was on fire under his touch and I turned to face him without thinking, not caring that it took a couple of tries to get my lips centered on his. I shut everything else out, wanting to imprint this moment in my memory forever. He tasted of alcohol and cigarettes. He smelt of alcohol and cigarettes. His lips felt surprisingly soft and his stubble caressed my skin with a contrast, rough on smooth, that made my breath catch in my throat.

There was no pause for thought. Sonny reacted with vigour and that only spurred me on. My hands were in his hair, on his shoulders, drawing circles on his back with feather light fingertips. His were still on my hips, holding me to him in a way that made me never want to leave his arms. I could still hear the music but it was just a bunch of sounds in my head. It didn’t mean anything to me now that I was kissing Sonny. The realisation spread mountains of pleasure through me, an electric thrill circulating my body to the rhythm of Sonny’s lips on mine. Heaven; that’s what it felt like. Like I’d died and gone to heaven.

When we finally drew apart, my breaths were heavy and my pulse rocketing. I could hear blood rushing in my ears and still taste him on my lips. I raised a hand to my mouth, savoring the feeling of being so close to him while I glanced behind him. Brandon was gone, and my sky high mood increased. I noticed Sonny watching me as I returned my eyes to him, and I smiled shyly. He mirrored my expression, sending another wave of thrill around my body. I disentangled my fingers from his hair just as he let go of my waist. Again, I felt oddly alone even though he was standing right in front of me, but I didn’t have too long to ponder on the feeling. Leanne was suddenly next to me, her hair messy and her eyeliner smudged around her eyes.

“Thank God I found you,” she said, leaning on my shoulder to shout into my ear. “I’ve been looking for ages.”

Panic rose in me then, sending all the happy thoughts and feelings to my feet. Did she see us kiss?

“Roz is in a state,” she continued, glancing at Sonny quickly before setting her hazel eyes back on me. “She’s drunk way more than she can handle and I need to take her home. I promised Mum I’d look after you so you’re coming too.”
She wasn’t ordering me to go with her, but every part of me knew that I had to. Even though the idea of spending the rest of the night with Sonny was extremely appealing.

I gazed up at him to see him offering Leanne a sympathetic expression. “I should go and find Warren,” he said. “I should get going soon, too.”

“We could share a taxi,” I suggested a little too quickly. I waved a hand around to try and distract Leanne from noticing. “If you wanted.”

“You go on,” Sonny replied, his eyes burning holes through me before he focused on Leanne. “I could be a while.”

We both nodded, giving him almost identical smiles.

“He was at the bar last I saw him,” Leanne said. “See you later.”

Sonny nodded and leaned down to hug her. Jealously raised its ugly head as I watched them embrace and I forced myself to look away, catching sight of Aiden on the other side of the dance floor. I found myself wondering how long he’d been there; long enough to see the kiss? But a light touch on my arm stole away my attention and I turned back to see Sonny.

“Later.” In that one word, my heart melted.

“Come on, Harri,” Leanne said, pulling me in the opposite direction to Sonny. “I left Roz outside.” She screwed up her face and I saw her sigh. “I hope she hasn’t puked again.”

We’d almost reached the doors when Aiden caught up to us. He looked out of breath, like he’d had to fight his way over. I smiled at him, wanting to ask whether he’d witnessed the best moment of my life, but he spoke before I could even open my mouth. I let Leanne carry on to the cloakroom, stopping to hear Aiden out.

“What about my dance?” he said.

I frowned in thought before I remembered my promise to him. I shrugged, feeling helpless. “I’ve got to go.”

He nodded and bought a hand up to run it through his hair. He didn’t look like the guy from the perfume advert, but. But what?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. “Rain check?”

“Harri!” Leanne was waving our coats as she made her way back towards me, taking purposeful strides. “We better get to Roz.” She noticed Aiden then. “Are you going to be alright getting home?” she asked, sounding genuinely worried. It amazed me how in control Leanne could be, even after way more than a few drinks.

“I’ll be fine,” he replied.

“Harri?” Leanne was pulling on my arm again.

I let her lead me outside, but I stumbled out facing Aiden, sending him an apologetic smile. “Bye.”

“Later.”
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 pm
View Likes
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

I'm here to review, of course. So here we go.

His gaze swept over the length of my body and a chill ran up my spine.

This was the only mistake I found. Now, with the story... It was great. I love the fact that the two guys said the same thing to her when she was saying goodbye. It's like a mad similarity to play with our heads.
Also, she had her kiss but was it to get rid of Brandon, or did he actually wanted to kiss her? That question is driving me crazy, I'm telling you.

I think you should've made her seem a little bit more drunk then what you describe. You said one time that she was seeing through a 'cloud', reference to the drinks she took, but the rest of the time she seemed sober to me... Maybe try to make it more present in this chapter?

That's about it. You did a great job, once again. :)

Keep on writing!

Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke