z

Young Writers Society

CinderAllen. Chapter 1.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 am
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

This is my first romance so any tips or feed back would be welcomed.

Chapter 1.

When I was five years old, my mother married Richard Lordly.

As we waited at the back of the church for the wedding to start, Mom’s eyes sparkled, almost as much as the four Caret diamond on her ring finger. She seemed to radiate happiness and to me she looked like a princess straight out of a fairy tale. I told her so and she gave me a squeeze and laughed. A soft silver sound and I was perfectly happy.

“Well thank you kind sir, I just hope Rick thinks so too,” she said, smoothing the white silk of her wedding dress.

“After all, he picked the dress out.” She add half to her self, a small frown flicking over her lips for the first time that day before disappearing as quickly as it came.

It wasn’t until years later that I realized what she knew then, he had chosen her gown to make sure his bride would look fitting for his high society wedding.

Mom and Richard split when I was thirteen. I wouldn’t have cared that they were separating if it hadn’t torn my mom apart. Richard had never attempted to be a father to me. He had largely ignored my existence while lavishing upon his two biological sons from his first marriage. And he certainly never treated my mother as well as she deserved. I think he believed her to be beneath him because she came from a lower class.

However, before the divorce papers were finalized, Mom found out she had cancer. The divorce was put on hold and Richard paid the bills while the doctors did everything in their power to save her.

She died six months later and Richard Lordly became my legal guardian.

It was only after her death that I truly realized his complete and utter lack of affection for me.

Her funeral was held on a cold winter morning and that evening, once everyone had left, Richard called me into his office. Seated behind a large walnut desk, its surface smoothed to perfection, he looked as his name described him, lordly. He ran a hand over his dark brown hair as though to sweep back from his high forehead had it not already been perfectly combed.

He didn’t offer me a chair and I remained standing. Leaning back in his own plush seat, he studied me. His mouth slightly pursed and turned down at the edges as though someone had handed him a banana peel and told him to eat it.

I fingered the cuff of my suit, uncomfortable under his scrutiny. Directing my own gaze to the top of his desk, my warp twin in the polished silver of a pen holder caught my attention. The squished figure stared back with blue eyes, half covered by blonde bangs. I search the reflection for any resemblance to my mother. I flinched when Richard suddenly spoke.

“Your mother’s treatments cost me a good deal,” he said, straightening a paper on his desk with a thumb and forefinger. Glancing up from it, his steel colored eyes met mine. “I did not pay June’s doctors out of the goodness of my heart, Allen. Had she lived, she would be receiving a rather large bill right about now. However, she didn’t.” He sighed, as though her dying had been nothing but a huge inconvenience to him and I had to dig my finger nails into my palms to stop myself from jumping over the desk and strangling him.

He continued. “And because of that, I’ve lost a lot of money and not only that but I’m left with her child and having to figure out what to do about it. After much thought though, I think I‘ve come up with a solution.” He sat forward and steeped his fingers. “Ask me what I’m going to do with you, Allen.”

A million different replies rose in my throat but I clamped my mouth shut, stopping the angry words from spilling out. There was nothing I could say, nothing I could do. He owned me and we both knew it. I swallowed.

“What are you going to do with me?”

Chapter 2. viewtopic.php?f=363&t=90882
Last edited by Dragongirl on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 am
View Likes
hudz96 says...

Oh my don't stop its perfect except for a few mistakes here let me see.
She add half to her self

I think you need to clarify this i took some time trying to figure out what you meant, now i understand you could probably add that part before she says the line.

However, before the divorce papers were finally,

I think you mean "....before the divorce papers were finalized"
But i really like the story and honestly i think your story is hooking :P
Keep writing hun
XXXX
Hudz
Don’t let your victories go to your head, or your failures go to your heart.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:39 am
Leahweird says...

You haven't posted anything in a while, and i have missed your writing. This chapter shows off why.

The moments you've created are so real. And the contrast between the scence between Allen and his Mom, and the scene in the study was so cool. Lordly is so sinister.

My only suggestion would be to make this line “After all he picked the dress out.” and the lines that follow it into a new paragraph.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:30 am
View Likes
CsJ93 says...

This was great! I can't wait to read the next chapter!

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Hey there, Dragongirl!

I was a bit sad to see that you stopped posting 'Hook', so when I saw this I knew I was going to have to read it, only to see if it was anything as near as good as Hook. And, after reading this first part, I think it is.

You seem to have a talent for turning fairy tales into modern day stories. This could be a bad thing, with your story treading the line of unoriginal, but I have faith in you that you'll be able to make this great and different from Cinderella in some way. I mean, you've switched to a male MC which is a great start.

As we wait at the back

'wait' should be 'waited'

the 4 caret

'4' should be written out as 'four'

seem to radiate happiness

'seemed'

so too,” She said, smoothing

The 's' on 'she' doesn't need to be capitalised as it's after a comma.

“After all he picked the dress out.”

Maybe add a comma after 'all'

She add half to her self

'add' should be 'added' and 'her self' is one word.

what she know then

'know' should be 'knew'

then, he had

The comma could be switched for a semi-colon.

He ran a hand over his dark brown hair as though to sweep back from his high forehead as if it had not already been perfectly combed.

I know what's happening here, but it took a couple of reads for it to become clear. You could probably nix the middle part of the sentence and have just this -

'He ran a hand over his dark brown hair as if it had not already been perfectly combed.'

Or you could try something like this -

'He ran a hand over his dark brown hair as if to sweep back stray hairs from his high forehead, but we both knew his hair was perfectly combed.'

good deal.” He said, straightening

This part should be formatted like this -

'good deal," he said, straightening'

stop my self from

'myself'

having to figured out what

'figure'

I love the cliffhanger ending!

The main problem you seem to have is with your tenses. They're a pain in the behind, but getting them right can assure the reader a smooth ride through your story. Get them wrong and the reader's left with distractions and bumps in the road. I'm not very good with explaining things, it essentially comes out as a long winded 'blah', so my best advice is to research them on the good 'ole internet. I'm sure you'll be able to find a great tutorial on using the right tenses.

So, tenses aside, I think this has turned out pretty well. Assuming you don't mirror the classic story of Cinderella, just with Allen as the MC, then I think this could turn out to be an interesting story.

I hope this helps! It was nice to read something of yours again :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Hey there, Dragongirl!
So, I'm here to review as requested :) Allow me to jump in straight away!

First impressions: Ooh, this is really interesting! I like the idea so far, because while we know some things about the plot, already we're interested to see what happens in this version of the story. Already, it's different because it's a Male MC, and it's the father who's horrible. I can already see that Richard doesn't seem completely horrible because why else would he have married someone of a lower class?

In this chapter, the end bit was brilliant. For me, I was thinking "Oh. My. God." It was really intriguing and I think it was a great cliffhanger. Like Allen, a million different ideas are going through my head.

So, well done!

Let's get onto the nitpicks. There aren't that many, I assure you:

A million different replies rose in my throat but I clamped my mouth shut. S[/b], stopping the angry words from spilling out. There was nothing I could say, nothing I could do. He owned me and we both knew it.

At the beginning, the second bit is a fragment and isn't a sentence, but more of one that is part of the previous sentence.

As for the bit in bold, I had to point that out. I loved that sentence and how you put it as Allen belonging to Richard. Perfect, in my opinion.

almost as much as the four caret diamond on her ring finger.

That should be Carat or Karat.

Mom and Rick split when I was thirteen. I wouldn’t have cared that they were separating if it hadn’t torn my mom apart.

Here you call him Rick, but everywhere else you call him Richard. I think for continuity it'd be better if you stuck to one, but if it's in dialogue, it's fine because that adds to their character. But when in narration, it can get a bit confusing as it could easily seem like it's two people you're referring to.

When I was five years old my mother married Richard Lordly.

There should be a comma before 'my'.

So, that's the nitpicks done. Despite this being the back story and everything, this managed to not be an info dump. That's great because info dumps turn off anyone. When I initially read the beginning, I worried about that but in the end, I didn't need to :)

So, my only main comment here is that the first line isn't very 'hooking'. It wasn't something that initially was interesting at first, so it let down the rest of the chapter which *was* very hooking. But, even then, it was OK. It was just wasn't as hooking as it could've been.

There were a few grammatical mistakes, but I pointed out the ones that hadn't been mentioned. So, that's it, from me!

Well done. This was a good and pretty intriguing chapter.

Keep writing, and thanks for the request!

-Mac

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala