z

Young Writers Society

Spark chapter two, part one

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 pm
tinkembell says...

"My, my September, look at the situation you've gotten poor Joshua in! He's trying to be so damn nice that he can't take the stress of it all," Ember shook his head.
"No, your ravishing looks can't make up for it this time." he said, trailing wispy fingers over September's faint outline. "I'll sort it out for you."

You don't like these people! Stop doing things for them. They're very lazy, using you like that. Punish them, Joshua. You don't deserve this, he said truthfully.

Ember sat back, listening for what Joshua would do. He heard a thud. His lovely Joshua had just kicked the person he was about to help. "Do it yourself!" he heard Joshua say. Ember didn't care that the only outcome was laughter at his childish behaviour - he was only five years old - he just knew that Joshua was listening, and his plans were coming together. Okay, September was yet to show any signs of backing down, and his charm attempts where futile so far, but he was getting there, he could tell. Her hatred seemed to be melting, although his had stayed the same for the idiotically good and shining fairy.

"I don't need any of your help." September snapped, moving as far away as possible from him. Did he think she was that easy to sway? Sometimes - a clearly ridiculous thing - she thought that he might like her, but then he'd have to actually feel emotion to do that, which she knew he was incapable of. If he was capable, then she just might have died. She could never imagine the idea of a Demon falling in love with an Angel, and if he had, it would be utterly unrequited. She hated him for who he was, everything The Creator tried to rid of in the world. If she had taken the Demon Elimination Training Course (or DeElTraCo for short) before she left then she'd of had permission to kill him as soon as she saw him, something she very much wanted to do. September just had to put up with him till he left; she'd been told they didn't wait around, maybe twenty years maximum. Then she'd be left to guide Joshua in peace.

Joshua, you didn't mean to do that did you? Say you're sorry. There's a good boy.

She heard the whispered words, the shift in the space as Joshua looked up and hugged the person he'd hurt. Inside she warmed, happy with Joshua. It wasn't his fault Ember suggested such things. Whose fault was it that he did them though? Hers. She had to be quicker, argue with Ember's ideas so Joshua could be left to choose the one he thought was right. For her sake - and his - she hoped he'd choose right.

"I'm pretty sure that resolved the situation, September. Next time I'll step back and let your pretty little head figure it out yourself - I'll always be here to help a damsel in distress though." he said charmingly.
"I was just about to ask for your permission, I didn't think I was allowed to handle things myself before then." she replied sarcastically.
"Oh, and don't worry, there aren't any damsels here to ruin your 'killing all humanity and everything that stands for good' plotting. It'll just be me doing that."
"Ever the optimist."
"I try."
"So hard. I can tell. You're the wondrous, sparkly beacon of hope in this world, darling."
"And you're the brooding, cold absence of light in this world, Ember."
"I think that's the only nice thing anyone's ever said to me. Very unfortunate. I hope I forget it within the next century."
"You're welcome."

Ember walked toward the walls of Joshua's mind, his insensitive fingers running against the ridges of his brain. September could do with a present, something to cheer her up in this dark damp space. He pulled at a part a little smaller than a grape with little effort, and it came off easily. He opened it down the middle to reveal glowing lights in an array of dazzling colours that changed constantly. He pulled a slither of a string-like strand off of it, and threaded it through a hole. There. September's very own shining innocent necklace that she could wear proudly. Or discard to the floor - her pick.

"September, I've made you a peace offering of sorts. A dazzling necklace for a dazzling Angel," he said, holding out the product of a rough few second’s work, and Joshua's brain.
September was surprised. She didn't think he could do anything that didn't give him any personal gain. Then she looked down, horrified by what Ember offered.

"What in the heavens have you done?"
"Don't you like it?" Ember asked, pretending to be offended.
"Give it to me." she snapped, pulling it out of his hands.

September couldn't believe what he'd done - damaging the poor boy like that. Maybe it wouldn't harm him, maybe it would. Either way her hatred for him had just grown - it was a good job that he'd be dead soon, she thought happily. She wasn't supposed to really think like that, the Creator would want her to try and make him see good, return to the Heavens where he belonged. The message had gotten so distorted along the way that Angels couldn't help but want to rip a Demon's throat out, rid humanity of the evil that they brang.

She walked over to where Ember must of been, seeing a small, bright beam shine through one of the walls of Joshua's mind. Firmly placing it exactly where it had been, September focused on healing him, the light flooding through her fingertips to weld it back in place. Her envision worked, and she walked over to Ember.

"Don't bother next time, Ember. I don't believe there'll be much point seeing as I'm going to kill you soon."
"I must be mistaken. I thought that deliciously evil, soulless, handsome Demons were already dead and rotting in the burning pits of hell for their sins. Forgive me," he said, bowing his head slightly, the hint of a smile in his voice.
"I'll forgive a demon when hell freezes over and Lucifer falls over while he's trying to skate on the ice." she retorted.
"Ah, that already happened. He sweetly murdered a few thousand humans afterwards, kind considering the circumstances - injuring yourself whilst trying out a foolish mortal activity; things could have been a lot worse. If only you'd seen the blood, so much from so little," he said wistfully.
"So, I'm forgiven then?" Ember asked.
"Go to Hell."
"Gladly. I'm afraid I have a little business up here on Earth before that though, just picking up an order."

He walked away laughing, and concentrated on listening to the world around, so he would be ready for any opportunities that arose. Ember knew that the necklace wouldn't have harmed Joshua, he remembered listening to a mortal documentary Joshua’s parents had watched about rats. Scientists took half of their brains out, and they still managed to function - surely the boy would have been a similar case. It wasn't like he took that much anyhow. He sighed, this was tiresome work. Not persuading Joshua, definitely not, but arguing with September, the stupidly good Angel. He betted that the Creator loved her and all of her overrated kindness, but he certainly didn't. He despised her, and it was getting to be quite annoying - she was only ever going to be in his way.

He heard the snipping of scissors.
"Mummy, do you like my monster? It was very tricky but he's so scary!" Joshua asked.
"I love it darling! Especially the spiky arms."
"They aren't arms! They’re legs. Silly mummy." Joshua replied indignantly.
There was the soft dropping of scissors.
"I'll be right back, stay where you are, Joshua."

Joshua, look where Mummy dropped the scissors. That's it, pick them up. Now cut all the cushions open, tear up the curtains. Mummy loves to clean up after you, it makes her so happy.

Snip. Tear. Rip. Childish giggle.

Footsteps, and a soft gasp. "Joshua!"

Ember felt accomplished. Pleased that he was winning the war - of Joshua, and between Lucifer and the Creator, and that September hadn't stopped him, that he was stronger. Obviously that was the inevitable, but all the same that physical proof made him happier. Not exactly happier, as he couldn't feel that kind of emotion as a Demon, but proud of his achievements, of the pain (even if it was small) Joshua was beginning to bring on people.

Well done. Don't you feel better now?
"The rabbit always squeals in the jaws of the fox, but when has another rabbit ever rushed up to save it?" Damon Salvatore
;'( please, my lump, he just needs HUGS <3
Need a review? Just ask :)
Just keep writing, just keep writing, do-do-do-do-do

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 pm
View Likes
kasimkaey says...

The first thing I feel I have to say is I love the dialogue between the two characters - it's so funny and real. It's not so formal that it makes it unbelivable but it's not so unformal that it has the same effect. It sounds real.

The struggle for power is amazing here. Really, you portray it well. But I have to ask, why did we jump forward five years?

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller