z

Young Writers Society

Burning Soul chapter 2

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:58 pm
ElizaWards says...

I lay in my back garden, dreaming about a future that I would not have.
“Felicity,” I lifted my head up from the soft grass and saw my Granddad walking towards me. “I have been looking for you all over the place.”

“You didn’t have to look far, Granddad.” I smiled warmly at him. Out of my whole family he was the one who understood me; he understood how I felt about anything and everything.

“Your mother is going to kill you, if you don’t get your bum off to school.” He said gently, knowing that I didn’t want to go but also trying to get me out of trouble. He has always been a big softy towards me every time he has raised his voice at me I have hated it. I always feel like I am letting him down. But today, he just seemed fed up.

“But Granddad,” Even I could hear the whine in my voice. “I hate school. I’m not allowed any friends, Granddad. I walk around by myself, the only time I talk to people are when they are taking the sap out of me. It’s not fair I shouldn’t be made to go. Mum thinks I am going to combust at any time, she doesn’t trust me.” That comment made his brows fuse together, as if he was working out a hard sum. He gave me his hand to help me to stand up, “Please, can I stay with you? You can teach me how to control my powers, can’t you?” I knew that he loved teaching me. I also knew he was a push-over when it came to me. I was his first grandchild, so rightly, his favourite.

“You’re a clever one,” He smiled, “But your mother does trust you. She’s just very protective over you.” He told me matter of factly, as if he was talking to an adult.

I took in my Granddad for the millionth time. If I was honest, he looked nothing like the other Granddad’s I see around town. He is tall and has broad shoulders that could carry the world if you wanted him to. His hair was black as the night, with a tint of grey at the edges. His eyes twinkled when he smiled. He had a few wrinkles around his eyes, from years of laughter and memories. To me he was ageless. You could 10 years on him and he would still look the same to me.
In all honesty, he was my best friend. I could go to him about anything and he would understand what I was going through and that’s what made me love him even more.

He sighed, “Fine! But, if I get into trouble I’m blaming you.” He grinned like a child getting his own way when it was me getting my own way.

“Fine by me, Granddad, I’ll be the bad influence.” I said returning his cheeky smile.

“Alright, now you know your position, don’t you?” He asked as he moved away from me.

“How could I forget?” I replied sarcastically. I separated my feet, shoulder width apart. My hands were open, as if they were holding invisible balls. Then I faced my opponent.

“Take in deep breaths, in and out.” We closed our eyes and centred ourselves, an exercise that I had gotten pretty good at over the years.

The breeze brushed against my skin, I could smell the forest that surrounded our house. I could taste winter on its way. After a few seconds we opened our eyes, ready. I tensed my hands and I could already feel the heat forming there. My fingers tingled with the power in their grasp. I knew my eye colour would change from mucky brown to fiery red with the element that had become my ally.

I lifted my right hand above my head, the fire blazing there. My left hand was pushed out, in a defensive style, which mirrored my Granddad’s stance.

He threw a fire ball at me, it was an easy attack. I shiver ran down my spine and then down my arms, the heat in my heat in my hands dispersed. A cool, soft texture took its place. I threw it at the oncoming flame. It hissed instantly. I grinned at my granddad and gave him a cocky wink.

“You’ve been holding out on me, young Liss.” He said returning my beam, “It’s amazing how powerful you are, by the age of 12.” He shook his head in astonishment.

“I know, I know. We usually only have one power, I’m unique, so I have to be extra careful, blah, blah, blah.” I replied sarcastically. I squirted the water at him, which he blocked instantly.

“You don’t understand. Powers like you have are easy to get out of control.” He threw fire at me again. I could tell he was taking it easy on me and making sure I knew how to block the obvious attacks. “Not only did you start young, you can control all the four elements. There’s only one person in history that had what you have now.” I had heard this story so many times it had become a bedtime story from the age of 4 onwards.

“Granddad, I know how to control them, stop worrying.” I closed my eyes, the wind whipped around me; I could feel the clouds gathering together.
I took a deep breath in as power filled my body. Rain started to fall, the clouds lit up which was followed by a loud thunder.

I opened my eyes in determination, they flashed yellow now. I plunged my hand forwards. Lightning pulsed out of me and struck my Granddad, he got knocked to the floor by the power of the lightning, just as he propelled fire towards me.

It hit me right in the stomach which such force that I landed on my bottom with a thump. I lay on the grass, letting the rain soak me.

I gave a throaty laugh. He always could get me on the sneaky shots. I thought to myself. I looked up, just to check that he was ok. He lay there motionless.

My mind and heart froze. I scrambled up to my feet and ran as fast as I could towards him.
“Granddad? Granddad? Are you ok?” I shouted as I pressed my ear against his chest.
His heart still thumped, I gave a sigh of relief. I looked at his face as my heart started to beat at a normal rate. That’s when his lips twitched into a smile.

“I can’t believe you fell for that, Felicity.” He murmured. It took me a moment to realize that he had fooled me. I smacked him on the chest and stormed off and I ran straight into my mother.

“What do you think you’re doing out of school?” She asked, with raised eyebrows and her hands on her hips. I sighed, not wanting the same old argument but knowing that it was going to happen. I looked up to her green eyes that I hadn’t inherited and just shrugged my shoulders.

“You know better Brian.” My mum scolded my Granddad. He just grinned and shrugged his shoulders like I did.

“It’s my fault, not Granddad’s.” I protested, not wanting to get Granddad into trouble.

“Is that so?” My mum asked.

“You don’t get it do you? I hate school. I don’t have any friends because you won’t let me. I am a loner and because of that people take the sap out of me.” I shouted, I hated arguing with her, but lately it seems that’s all we end up doing.

“Don’t be so melodramatic, Felicity!” My mum said, to me it sounded patronizing.

“Argh! I’m not being melodramatic! I hate it. I hate you even more.” I stormed off, running through the woods.

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter