z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 1: Christina

Reviews: 2
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:43 pm
keeleybeaver says...

Chapter 1:

I woke up with a weird taste in my mouth. You know, the sore throat feeling, the dryness. I needed to get something to drink and quickly. I should probably take a shower too. I grabbed my towel, a brush and some clothes out of my drawer, then I headed down the long hallway to the bathroom. Two rights, a left up the stairs, and into the third door on the left. I was lucky to be up this early. With so many kids in one beach house, it would be a miracle if you could get into the bathroom by 11:00, so I figured that I should hurry up for the sake of my sister, a VERY early riser.

Wait a minute. You probably don't know anything about me. My name is Christina Patters. I live in an abandoned beach house that some crazy old lady decided to turn into an Orphanage for Young Travelers. I have no family except for my sister Lauren Scout, a girl I met at the supermarket. We've been inseparable ever since. I don't remember my old family or how old I am or even my birthday. The earliest I remembered was waking up on the beach with a giant ghost crab on my face. Trust me, not a very good memory.

I hopped into the shower and turned the faucet on. I took a giant gulp of water and gently washed my intricate patterns of cornrow. I stood and thought for a minute until my back and legs got all tingly from the water pressure. The faucet goes off. I instantly forgot what I was thinking about. I actually looked at my outfit. Not too bad. I had my green and white Mud shirt with my brown jean shorts. Crap! Of all things not to grab, I forgot my bra. I brushed my hair and got dressed anyway. I grabbed my towel and pajamas and made a quick dash to my shared room.

Lauren was still sleeping. Something must've be wrong with her. She never slept this late. I applied my makeup and put on jewelry (and stuff a bra down my shirt). I went to put on my shoes. Whoa! did I get a tattoo? It looked kind of like a pure white star. Hmm. I could even see the fine lines and details of the fire that engulfed it. I had never seen that before. I guessed I just had to leave it alone. I heard breakfast cooking. Guess it was time to leave. I shut the door and went upstairs.

****Special thanks to wewinwelose! As you could see I fixed the past tense- present tense confusion. If you see anything else I missed please tell me. Thanks! :)****
Last edited by keeleybeaver on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:39 pm
View Likes
wewinwelose says...

Soooooo my name is Christina!!! Anyways, here's my advice :)

I woke up with a weird taste in my mouth. You know, the sore throat feeling;[/b] the dryness. I needed to get something to drink and [b]quickly! [color=#FFFF00]I've always been told not to put exclamation points unless you're signifying someone yelling. Let your words show the emotion. A true writer can bring out the urgency of a situation by the words they use.[/color]I Should probably take a shower too. I grabbed my towel, a brush and some clothes out of my drawer, then I headed down the long hallway to the bathroom. Two rights, a left[color=#FF0000],[/color][color=#008040]This comma isn't needed.[/color] up the stairs, and into the third door on the left. I was lucky to be up this early. With so many kids in one beach house, it would be a miracle if you could get into the bathroom by 11:00, so I figured that I should hurry up for the sake of my sister, a VERY early riser.

Wait a minute. You probably don't know anything about me. My name is Christina Patters. I live in an abandoned beach house that some crazy old lady decided to turn into an Orphanage for Young Travelers. I have no family except for my sister Lauren Scout, a girl I met at the supermarket. We've been inseparable ever since. I don't remember my old family or how old I am or even my birthday. The earliest I remember was waking up on the beach with a giant ghost crab on my face. Trust me, not a very good memory. [color=#FFFF40]Cute :). I like this paragraph.[/color]

I hopped into the shower and turned the faucet on. I took a giant gulp of water and gently washed my intricate patterns of cornrow. I stood and thought for a minute until my back and legs got all tingly from the water pressure. The faucet goes off. I actually look at my outfit. Not too bad. My green and white Mud shirt with my brown jean shorts. Crap! Of all things not to grab, I forgot my bra. I brushed my hair and got dressed anyway. I grabbed my towel and pajamas and made a quick dash to my shared room. [color=#FFFF40]Alright, I just know you're going to ignore this little bit on knowledge, but one of the things I had to teach myself was NEVER EVER EVER use the present tense like this. It doesn't work and it confuses the reader, because not everything can be written in present tense and sound correct. This results in the switching of tenses, which has already been displayed in just these few paragraphs, so just stick to ONE. And since not everything can be written in the present tense, just write everything in the past tense. It makes it easier, and doesn't confuse the reader.[/color]

Lauren's still sleeping. Something must be wrong with her. She never sleeps this late. I do my makeup and put on jewelry (and stuff a bra down my shirt). I go to put on my shoes. Whoa! did I get a tattoo? It looks kind of like a scale. Hmm. Never seen that before. I guess I'll just leave it alone. I hear breakfast cooking. Guess its time to leave. I shut the door and go upstairs. [color=#FFFF40]Again, change all of the tenses to past here too please. I don't think you'll accept this advice, but I promise it will make everything so much easier to understand AND to write.[/color]

Other than that very nice and I'll make sure to read more :).
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

171 Reviews

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:17 am
wewinwelose says...

I'm so glad I could help! It's a great start, and the confusion with the tenses is completely gone! I'd be interested to read some more :). Let me know if you decide to post anything else!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 am
keeleybeaver says...

Chapter 2:

I opened my eyes, it was really early in the morning, and I was being carried down the street very quickly. We got on the street where the supermarket is located. My mother stopped walking and looked into my eyes, I looked into hers. She was crying. I don’t understand what was going on. Then she sat me down, kissed me, and ran away from me. I started to realize that she left me on purpose, and was not coming back. A tear started to run down my face.

Slam! Hunh? I jumped up and bumped my head on the top of my bed. “Ow,” I said. I looked around. Where was Christina? Usually I was the first one up. I look at the clock. It was 7:00. I was usually up at 6:30, at the latest. My mind went into automatic mode: get up, take a shower, go up for breakfast. So I got up, grabbed my clothes and a towel and started to run down the long hallway to the bathroom. After my shower I walked upstairs to the kitchen. When I was almost up the last few steps, I heard something, so I looked down the stairs to see if someone else woke up. No?

I ran up the last steps to the kitchen. “Christina, did you hear that?” I asked. She gave me a strange look and shook her head no. “Maybe Taylor’s up?” she replied. I shrugged and helped myself to the eggs that Christina had made. I got some cheese from the fridge and put it on top of the pan to make the cheese melt. Just as I sat down, Courtney walked upstairs. “Where is the headmistress?” she asked.

“Don’t know. Why?” Christina asked.
“Someone is at the door and apparently doesn’t know how to use a doorbell.” Courtney observed.
"She looks kind of foreign."
“I think the headmistress is in the shower. Christina, you should answer it instead, since you’ve lived here the longest.” I said
“Okay.” she replied as she headed downstairs.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:45 am
keeleybeaver says...

Okay.... Just to clear up some confusion; the first chapter is in Christina's POV. The second is in Lauren's

171 Reviews

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 am
wewinwelose says...

keeleybeaver wrote:Chapter 2:

I opened my eyes, it was really early in the morning, and I was being carried down the street very quickly. We got on the street where the supermarket is located. My mother stopped walking and looked into my eyes, I looked into hers. She was crying. I don’t understand what was going on. Then she sat me down, kissed me, and ran away from me. I started to realize that she left me on purpose, and was not coming back. A tear started to run down my face. This is a good concept, but the way it is written out makes it hard to read. The paragraph is very choppy, and the conclusion too quick to be drawn. Maybe make her mother look into her eyes, and Lauren's wait for her mother to come back sound a bit more dramatic. For example "I waited, and waited.....but the longer I waited the clearer the inevitable became. My mother wasn't coming back." That's really my only issues with this paragraph, otherwise it's great! :)

Slam! Hunh Spelling error.? I jumped up and bumped my head on the top of my bed. “Ow,” I said this part is okay, but if you wanted to make it better you could space it out a bit better. Add some emotion. Or, instead of "Ow" say something like "The force of the blow gave me an instant headache, just proving that it was going to be a bad day.". I looked around. Where was Christina? Usually I was the first one up. I look at the clock. It was 7:00. I was usually up at 6:30, at the latest. My mind went into automatic mode: get up, take a shower, go up for breakfast. So I got up, grabbed my clothes and a towel and started to run down the long hallway to the bathroom. After my shower I walked upstairs to the kitchen. When I was almost up the last few steps, I heard something, so I looked down the stairs to see if someone else woke up. No? This paragraph, too, is good, but if you wanted to make it even better you could space it out a bit more. Explain the getting ready process, add some deeper words, and most important: make it sound a bit less choppy.

I ran up the last steps to the kitchen. “Christina, did you hear that?” I asked. She gave me a strange look and shook her head no. “Maybe Taylor’s up?” she replied. I shrugged But.....you were in such a hurry a second ago? this transition seems off to me.and helped myself to the eggs that Christina had made. I got some cheese from the fridge and put it on top of the pan to make the cheese melt. Just as I sat down, Courtney walked upstairs. “Where is the headmistress?” she asked.

“Don’t know. Why?” Christina asked.
“Someone is at the door and apparently doesn’t know how to use a doorbell.” Courtney observed.
"She looks kind of foreign."
“I think the headmistress is in the shower. Christina, you should answer it instead, since you’ve lived here the longest.” I said This line throws me off a bit. It seems like you explain too much here. The way I would do it is just automatically have Christina open the door, after everyone turns to look at her, and slowly over time and chapters explain that this is because she's the one that's been there the longest. Also, maybe she's the oldest? Maybe she's the most responsible? Maybe she's the closest to the headmistress? All of these things would be good key elements to slowly dole out into the reader's mind.
“Okay.” she replied as she headed downstairs.

This is very good, and I love the theme and ideas that have shown up so far. The initial writing is a bit rough, but I know you can make it perfect! As for the character confusion, if you named the chapters after whomever is speaking at the time, it would make a lot more sense to the reader.
Hope that helped! Let me know when you've got more to put up!

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury