z

Young Writers Society

untitled fantasy - prologue (rough)

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:18 pm
mysterywriter says...

(please feel free to correct any gramatical errors. :lol: )

*here is a little guide since my map isn't done yet:

nerms = city people
sefier = morpher
mushuk = the village
gabjion = the city
yik = anything referring to the woods
ugor = river that runs through mushuk
myriad = the land
paragon = the palace

(oh and this is cut and paste from word so the tabs aren't correct!)

Prologue:

A long, long time ago in an age when the dinosaurs reigned and humans had not yet been. The earth was a complex and ever changing planet. Volcano’s erupted, floods wiped out valleys and terrains, and earthquakes made massive changes to the formation of the land.
The earth was so powerful in the beginning that it was capable of creating other dimensions. Dimensions unseen to the human eye, unknown to anyone except for that living in them. So the great earthquake causing the demise of the dinosaurs was not only the end of an era but the beginning of a civilization.

Myriad was a land where the water ran pink and the fish were every color of the rainbow. Waterfalls descended off of rocky cliffs, flowers bloomed everywhere you looked and if you gazed up into the night sky you’d see a moon of purple shinning it’s pleasing light on everything below it.

Myriad was separated into distinct sections of land.

(insert drawing of a map of myriad here)

Mushuk, which was the village of the elves. (Not your ordinary “little” elves, these elves looked a lot like humans…well except for the pointed ears.) Mushuk was filled with green valleys and a big flowing stream they called: Ugor. Ugor flowed all the way through the valleys of Mushuk and into the city of Gabjion.
The elves were harvesters. Reaping their rewards off of the land, they worked hard in the fields and near the water. They could be found planting, tilling & fishing until the sun went down in the west. The elves were hard workers and provided most of the food that was to be sold in the markets of Gabjion. Since they provided the main food source for the inhabitants of Gabjion and the palace of Paragon they were paid well for their work, however the elves were simple creatures and money did not mean much to them.
Their homes could be found along the banks of Ugor. They were small, round two story houses made of brick and wood with a lot of windows so that they could enjoy the view of the Ugor and the Yiks. Some of the elves even went as far as to put a bridge type plank around the entire upper floor of their homes on the outside in hopes of getting a better view of their land.
Also in Mushuk were the Sefiers. Sefiers were people who could morph into anything they wanted; an old protection mechanism from the beginning days of Myriad that never seemed to vanish completely from the breeding pool. Being that they ascended from so long ago, Sefiers were rare, there were very few of them left in Myriad so it seemed appropriate that they took up their shelter with the elves in Mushuk.
The Sefiers lived in the trees of the Yik and could be recognized by the dark green and gold flecks that ran down the spinal column on their backs. They had immaculate tree houses made of wood and rope, with staircases descending the length of the trees. The Sefiers and the elves had been habituating together for years and years and some of the elves in Mushuk were also part Sefier. To be part Sefier meant that there were limits to your morphing abilities. Part Sefier people found it easiest to morph into a living creature rather than an inanimate object, and so they did.
Sefiers could also be found working hard with the likes of the elves in the fields and on the banks of Ugor. Of course some elves thought it best that Sefiers stay with Sefiers and elves stay with elves, but for the most part the elves welcomed the help of the Sefiers since that had been the way of Mushuk for as long as most of them could remember.

If you followed the Ugor to its end you would find yourself in the city of Gabjion. Filled with mostly food markets and other item buying venues, the city of Gabjion was in the heart of Myriad.
Dirt roads led to elegant coble stone streets that met in the center of the city and circled around an enormous fountain of the goddess Elipthia. Elipthia was goddess of all that was light, she had long flowing blonde hair and bright blue eyes; and it was said that if you looked into them too deeply you would go blind. She held in her hand a pitcher and out of the pitcher came free flowing pink water that dropped into the circular fountain below her. In the hot months, the children of Gabjion would play in the fountain under the watchful eye of Elipthia.
In Gabjion you would also fund pubs and tobacco shops. The elder men often hung out at the pubs smoking their tobacco pipes and drinking beer until all hours of the morning. The people in Gabjion were often referred to as Nerms. A Nerm was a word that was used to describe someone who was of no special descent or power. Of course you wouldn’t call a Nerm a Nerm to their faces, which would be appalling and derogatory, it was just a term that the non-Nerms liked to use amongst themselves to help classify more easily.
The Nerms worked in the pubs, the markets, the tobacco shops, the seamstress's, the blacksmiths, and the carpenters...basically any and every store in the city. Rarely would you see an elf or a Sefier working in the streets of Gabjion. Of course they frequented them, but they didn't do Nerm work. For this was a tightly knit society. Every Nerm had their job, usually born into it, following in the footsteps of their parents. Besides, the Nerms considered Elves and Sefiers beneath them. Sure they would sell or barter with them for goods, but to bring them into their work force was unheard of.
If you traveled to the edge of the city and looked to the east, there, perched on the highest hill in Myriad was the castle of Paragon. It stood nearly 100 feet at its highest points and was made of white stone and an array of colored sea glass. Legend had it that the goddess of beauty, allureenia, had thought that the castle was so beautiful that she shed tears of joy; those tears when meeting the castle walls crystallized and became the colorful glass.
The dirt road that led to the castle’s gates was more than two miles long and was protected by soldiers, for the castle of Paragon was home to the King of Myriad. The Queen had long since passed and so it was he, King Vetrolio, who occupied inside; along with many servants, cooks, maids and grounds keepers. Some of them might well be elves and Sefiers for it was an honor to work for the noble king. It was he who kept the prejudice away from the land of Myriad, without him everything would be in total ruin.
Aside from the many employed, King Vetrolio did not reside there alone. Inside the confines of Paragon along with the King was his beloved daughter Perphia, whose beauty was unlike any other, for she was the daughter of Elipthia: goddess of everything light. Many questioned if the Queen had been her real mother, but to any with common sense it was obvious the resemblance to the beautiful goddess.
The inside of the castle was even more breathtaking than the outside. The castle’s gates opened into the entrance hall, which was lined with mirrors and paintings. A red velvet carpet led you through the entrance hall and the 4 pillars that extended to the ceiling commanded immediate attention to the height of the room. On either side of the entrance hall were elaborate ballrooms, with windows that extended from the floor to the arched ceilings. The King only used them on rare occasions when he would hold lavish parties that everyone in the city would be invited to. Then the rooms would be filled with people: laughing, dancing, eating, drinking and having a grand time, for the King truly knew how to treat his guests.

The stairway in the entrance hall was lined with the same velvety red carpet that draped over each individual step combining all of them in perfect unity. Once you reached the top of that stairway there were two more of the same, one to the west and one to the east. The east wing of the castle held rooms that were most important to the King, one of which included his sleeping chambers. The west wing however belonged only to Perphia and the only person other than her father that was allowed to enter it was her servant elf mershka. This was her father’s rule, and he did so in an attempt to protect her from things she not need concern herself with.
The hall of the west wing was lined with big windows draped with dark purple curtains, that in the daytime remained drawn. Parallel to the windows, hanging on the wall were expensive paintings that Perphia enjoyed looking at while she wandered. The hall of the east wing was quite different, this hall was lined with suits of armor that were kept impeccably clean and portraits of all the Kings leading up to Vetrolio’s reign.
If you ventured to the end of the east wing you would be taken outside and across a bridge that led to the servants chambers. Nothing was lavish about these quarters they were quite simple and bleak; the servants didn’t require much decoration, as they were just happy to be employed to such a wonderful king. It was insisted that the servants eat with the King and his daughter on certain nights, so as to not cause distain. The King believed that if you had a luxury to share, you should do so and in good manners.
The windows in the servant’s chambers overlooked the horse stables. The King kept many horses and proudly held himself to that; he has said, “One man can never have too many horses on hand, for you never know when there will be a friend or servant in need”. There were twenty horses, ten in each stable and each of them their own name and personality.
Finally the castle wrapped around a large outside courtyard garden. It was filled with an assortment of different flowers, plants and trees all well kept by a Sefier servant whom also kept the grass on the grounds looking marvelously green and full of life. This was by far the King’s most favorite servant as he tended to one of the King’s most favorite things: the garden. He and his daughter would spend countless nights sitting in the garden speaking of things to come and of things that had past. She often asked about her mother and the King would go into great detail about the Queen, however Perphia was growing older by the day and smarter by the minute and soon the King would no longer be able to hide her true identity from her.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:46 pm
Lollipop says...

This a really good prologue in my opinion. It describes the plot very well. I just have to learn how to pronounce the names. Anyway, well done!

~Lollipop~ :D
Way hay!!!!

23 Reviews

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:09 pm
mysterywriter says...

Lollipop wrote:This a really good prologue in my opinion. It describes the plot very well. I just have to learn how to pronounce the names. Anyway, well done!

~Lollipop~ :D

thanks! i am going to draw a map of how it looks as well, i got that inspiration from the book 'wicked' by gregory maguire. (GREAT book - it has been turned into a play as well.) and i remembered thinking that the map was a great idea because it helped you really feel like you were there.

i will help you with the pronunciations:Prologue:

nerms (nerm pronounced like worm)
sefier (sef-ier)
mushuk (muh-shuck)
gabjion (gab-jion - jion is like dion)
yik (yick)
ugor (you-gor)
myriad (meer-e-ad)
paragon (para-gon)

King Vetrolio (ve-trol-io)
elipthia (elip-thia)
allureena (allur (like alure) eena)
mershka (mersh-ka)
perphia (perph-ia)

hope that helps. 8) i hate not being able to pronounce names right! :lol:

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:21 pm
Lollipop says...

Hey thanks!

~Lollipop~

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 pm
Zion says...

Unfortunately I didnt red the entire thing. Only the Elves part. There are som good things and some bad. Usually I suck and cits but im trying to learn heh...
anyway here goes
I can say that you have great imagination I loved the idea of Earth creating dimensions. From the begining I can say that there is/will be very very original.
the bad thing:

A long, long time ago in an age when the dinosaurs reigned and humans had not yet been. The earth was a complex and ever changing planet. Volcano’s erupted, floods wiped out valleys and terrains, and earthquakes made massive changes to the formation of the land.
The earth was so powerful in the beginning that it was capable of creating other dimensions. Dimensions unseen to the human eye, unknown to anyone except for that living in them. So the great earthquake causing the demise of the dinosaurs was not only the end of an era but the beginning of a civilization.

I hate it when stuff beging with the usuall a long time ago. Also the earth was a complex.... its too scientific I think. It needs more life. try to enter something about Gods and stuff, my opinion is, it will sounds much better. For example: in the begining of time teh Gods bla bla bla...

Overall (I will read the entire thing im quite intrigued ;) ) its very original and it has great potential. Just needs a little spit n shine ;)
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

23 Reviews

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:06 pm
mysterywriter says...

arv - i was worried about the beginning sounding too, oh what's the word, cliche'? so i will most definitely spruce that part up a bit. i am always open to parts that need more work so thanks for pointing it out! should have a bit more of it done soon too. 8)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:47 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Seeing the vocabulary before the story began was very unnerving.

Also, myriad is an actual word, so it might not be a good idea to use, especially because people tend to skip over glossaries and go straight into the chapter. Another thing about making up words.

While making up words or languages adds another element of realism to your story, it also makes it a bit more difficult for the reader to connect with. In Lord of the Rings, they had the wierd writing, but Tolkien always translated it for the reader.

Instead of saying "follow the Ugor", (which is very unpleasing to the eye and conjures up an equally unpleasing image) just say if "you follow the river Ugor" This gives readers the idea that there is this River named Ugor, which is a typical river. You can add changes from there. You can make up words, but translate it for us as you use them, not at the beginning. People won't remember it on Chapter 11 if you don't use it frequently.

If you take the time to describe the various people and jobs a person has, you can certainly take the time to describe the terrain without giving us a list of words to learn.

What really worries me is that there is no sign of the protagonist in chapter one. At all. The protagonist is the character in which all the events are centered around.

It's like you started writing the prologue and didn't stop. So now we are drifting around a kingdom with only hints at who are main character is. You need a protagonist cemented by the first chapter or you will lose the readers interest.

In Lord of the Rings, Tolkien wanders around, talking about Hobbits, but he eventually comes to rest on a single hobbit which becomes his protagonist. Chapter One is using the third person omnipotent view, but without a protagonist it is nothing but a sightseeing guide.

So, add a protagonist to Chapter One or make Chapter One a part of the prologue.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

23 Reviews

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:46 pm
mysterywriter says...

griffin writer: thank you for all of your suggestions. this was only the prologue though the numbers you see at the bottom of some of the paragraphs are page numbers from the word document i am writing it in, not chapters. 8)

i realize myriad is a real word, i chose it for its dictionary meaning. if i have to change it in the future i will do so but for now it is an acurate description of what i want the land to be like. i suppose i could add a few letters and make it a different made up word. yes i might do that.

the reason i didn't take the time to explain the made up words is because i am hoping this will turn into a novel and plan to make footnotes at the bottom of the page. i think that explaining what the words mean everytime i say them would be redundant and take away from the plot. but since you mentioned it can you give me an example of how i could explain the words better?

but i do appreciate everyone's input. good criticism makes for better writers! :D
Last edited by mysterywriter on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:56 pm
Kay Kay says...

In my opinion you did very well on this..I like the way you described everything. I agree with Griffinkeeper on the suggestions too. I can't wait to read more of this...and I will. Good job..keep up the good work!
Quarrels would not last long if the fault were only on one side.
--La Rochedoucauld

"An unexamined life is not worth living..."
---Socraties

23 Reviews

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:09 pm
mysterywriter says...

thanks kay kay. i agree with a lot of what griffin keeper said as well. it's better to know your mistakes in the beginning, i think so anyway.

i do have the first chapter written but i might wait to post it until i am done writing the second. 8)

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl