z

Young Writers Society

Past the Horizon

Reviews: 4
Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:03 pm
LividRose says...

It was a day that had been blessed in good fortune. I smiled happily, how could I feel any other way during a day as ideal as this, warmed by beautiful sunshine? Under the haze of perfect weather, I found myself in a group of friends, who were coming out with me to support my brother. James was racing in the town’s annual boat race today, with my father’s sail boat. It was his first time, and he had been excited for days.
The small stones crunched under out feet as we moved along the gravel road. There were other groups in front of and behind us, everyone heading to the shoreline. High and sweet birdsong wavered above the murmur of voices. Cicadas joined them from their hidden homes in the long grasses.
“Can you believe we’re done with elementary school?” Hannah asked.
“Yeah, it feels great.” Alexis sighed, twisting her hip-length brown hair up into a clip. “I don’t think a single teacher there liked me.”
“Maybe because it was considered a miracle when you handed in your homework.” Emryn laughed.
Alexis shrugged. “I never had time to do it.”
“Sure you didn’t.” Sam added. “Look a Miss Female Athlete of the Year behind you and tell me again: who didn’t have time?”
Alexis didn’t look back at me, instead she just laughed. What Sam had said was true. This year I had a lot on my plate with different sports teams. It was a challenge to find time for homework, but I always managed to find a way. I just couldn’t bear to quit one of my teams, especially as we entered the intensity of championships. However, I think it had paid off. I had been rewarded with honour roll and Female Athlete of the Year award at my school’s graduation ceremony.
When we arrived at the grassy hill that sloped down towards the sand of the shoreline, Brooke flopped down at the top of it, claiming this as our spot and we couldn’t do anything about it because she wasn’t going to move one step further.
The rest of us gathered around her, pulling out assorted picnic items. I had the plates and assorted cutlery that were perhaps the least appreciated part of any meal. I filled my plate with a small portion of almost everything, only skipping the strawberries, which I couldn’t stand. Settling into a cross-legged position with my meal on my lap I peered down towards the docks. It didn’t take me long to spot the familiar red-striped boat, and my tall brother at the helm. I waved at him, but he missed it, turning his head in the other direction just before I started.
The amplified horn sounded and they were off. The shoreline in front of me bordered on the Pacific Ocean, and a course had been set up on the waters for the boats. The town I lived in was small, but almost everyone sailed, so there was always a great turnout for this race.
The two hours that was the minimum time for completing the race passed quickly. It always did when I was with the nine other girls I referred to as my best friends. It was a big group but that always made conversations a lot more fun, or so I thought. We talked about everything, from school to home lives. A few fears were voiced about the upcoming years that would be spent in high school. Out numbering the fears were the funny stories we had about the misadventures our older siblings or relatives had experienced there.
When the first boat crossed the finish line and a great cheer erupted, I was disappointed to see that it wasn’t James. Second and third places were also claimed by other people. James finally completed the race when I had lost count of how many boats had preceded him. He was very close to last.
As I everyone was leaving, I headed across the sand to see him. His blonde hair was plastered to his head and he was grinning. When he saw me, he brought his arms around me for a hug. I squirmed uncomfortably; he was covered in ocean water. James laughed, putting me back down onto the soft sand.
“You okay?” I asked him.
“I sure am little sister!” He answered. “I man not have won, but I admit that I had a great time losing!”
I smiled up at him. “That’s good.”
He nodded, slipping his sunglasses over his eyes. “I’m heading home. You coming?”
I shook my head. “I’m staying here to swim with everyone, remember?”
“Sure didn’t.” He laughed. “Have fun, though.”
James left, heading towards his blue truck. When I turned back to my friends, I saw that they had already slipped off their clothes and were standing in their swimsuits. I stepped out of my jean shorts and green shirt, folding both of them up and placing them by our picnic site.
Emryn, Brooke, Courtney and Hannah immediately grabbed their towels, spreading them out on the sand. They lay down on top of them, shutting their eyes and letting their bodies warm up in the sun’s rays.
Mady, Wren, Sam, Becca, Alexis and I headed over towards the waves instead. They were cool to the touch, and I found the temperature to be a pleasant relief from the heat of the day. I followed the sloping floor of the ocean until the water rippled around my elbows. Then I dove under, totally submerging myself. When I broke though the surface again, my hair clung the sides of my face in wet clumps. I noticed that the rest of my friends were still in the shallows, mostly dry.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked.
Becca put her hand up to her blonde hair. “Well, my hair looked really good today and …” She trailed off at my incredulous look.
“We came to swim!” I protested.
“We did.” Sam agreed, grinning devilishly.
Suddenly she had a handful of water, splashing it directly into Becca’s face. Becca shrieked, splashing Sam back. Suddenly a war of water broke out and when it was done, my five friends were just a soaked as I was. After that, they finally joined me further out.
We swam in the ocean until my stomach growled. I checked the beach and saw that it was empty except for my friends, still on their towels. I yelled for someone to check the time and Hannah reported back that it was almost six.
Ah, so that’s where all the normal people are. I thought. Having dinner.
“I guess we should go.” Mady said from beside me.
“Yeah, barbecue’s still on at my house for those interested.” Alexis said.
We walked out of the calm waters, heading towards our own dry towels. I rubbed my faded green one across my skin quickly, trying to get dry enough to comfortably slip denim back on. We set about packing our lunch up, calling out and holding up dishes, trying to return everything to its rightful owner.
“Okay, I think that’s all of it.” Sam said, throwing her red bag across her shoulder.
We were heading back up the hill that lead away from the beach when sudden shouts came from behind us. I turned around to check it out; I had thought that we were the only ones left at the beach. There was a group of guys walking across the sand; they had obviously come from the docks.
“Whoa, what are they doing here?” I asked.
“Who cares?” Brooke breathed, grinning. “Some of them are hot.”
“Brooke, wipe up your drool, we have to go.” Becca said, rolling her eyes.
Sam grabbed Brooke’s arm, turning her around. We set off again, turning our backs on the strange group of guys. As we walked away I couldn’t help peeking over my shoulder. They were taking extremely long strides; it looked like they were trying to catch up with us. I was torn between feeling flattered and afraid. Emryn was walking next to me, looking straight ahead. I tapped her gently on the shoulder, tipping my head backwards. Emryn turned to look just as the guys broke into a sprint.
“Run!” Emryn shouted, reacting much quicker than I had.
Everyone was slow to gather what was happening without the slight advantage Emryn and I had. That put us in the lead out the mad dash. There was a scream from behind me and I turned to see one of the boys catch up to Wren, grabbing her arm.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw Emryn get ready to run towards our pursuers. She headed directly towards Wren and her captor, aiming an impressive kick at his head. It made him lose his hold on Wren but I could see that he was far from out of the fight. He turned his attention on Emryn, one of his friends stepping in to help. There was moment in the fray when her grey eyes locked with mine
“Get help!” She screamed at me.
With those words my brain kicked into high gear. I turned to run farther away, starting to search for my cell phone in my bag. A warm hand clamped down onto my own arm. In a frenzied movement I turned around, desperately aiming my fist for where his head should be. A bad misjudgement on my part made it easy for him to duck out of the way and knock my knees out from under me. I was scooped me up again and he slid his hand over my mouth, blocking an oncoming shriek.
I squirmed frantically, finally causing him to drop me. My head hit the ground with a hard smack, making me see stars. I had to put the pain to the back of my mind while I jumped to my feet, still trying to make my escape.
The last thing I saw before the cloth bag was slipped over my head was Emryn crashing her fist into a blonde’s jaw.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:37 am
davidechoe13 says...

Okay, good news; sounds interesting,not too long not too short.
bad-ish news: some grammar stuff in their and i really ad no idea who was the main character up until they started swimming. then the fight, it was okay in a sense that it probably isn't THE BIG FIGHT but i suppose a little something to spice it up wouldn't hurt, but it was good the bad news isn't really bad news so good job!!
Think of the vastness of a story, What happens when the main character is not around?

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae